Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

80 things to do at lv 80....apparently

Comments

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Having trouble understanding why people don't get this is really just fun post with a bit of satire thrown in. Obviously this wan't ment to be some sort of factual list that details all the things you can do at 80. 

I mean really:

44. Create an all-ranger guild called Team Rocket, lose constantly in sPvP

You took this as seriously something to do at 80?

Why can't anyone just have fun in threads, everything has to turn into a damn argument. 

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Like in UO, you know what I was doing before I was 7X GM?

The same stuff I was doing after I was 7X GM.

It is "different" than most other themepark MMOs in that sense, but not unique to GW2 and actually quite common in the sandbox sub-genre.

Again I think this list was put together to combat the "nothing to do at 80" crowd, not put together to tout how "revolutionary and different GW2 end-game is" because it's really not - it's just different then a lot of themepark MMOs.

Macroing before 7X GM

Not macroing after 7X GM

GW2= Nothing like UO in any sense of the meaning.

Some of us actually didn't macro in UO. Some of us actually played and enjoyed the game.

And post Trammel/Felucca split UO pre-LBR is more similar in design philosophy and "feel" to GW2 than GW2 is similar to any EQ/WoW/Post-Wow themepark.

But that's off topic.

The list is dumb - but I believe was just made to show the obvious logical flaws in the "there is nothing to do at 80" comments we keep seeing.

No, there is no raiding and gear treadmill, but there is plenty to do at 80.

Ya'll need to lighten up!

Well yeah I see the point, but it doesn't help much to those who got bored during the climb to level cap.

I see it kind of like how it ends up for people in those damned endgame raid MMOs that reach cap but don't like raiding.

DUDE 1: "WOOT! Made it to level cap! What now guys!?"

RAID DUDES: "You can join us and RAID!!!"

DUDE 1: "Oh . . . I don't like raiding."

RAID DUDES: "Well you can FUCK OFF then!"

DUDE1: "sigh"

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I am sure there are tons of things to do at level cap for any MMORPG. The question is, are those things fun and how long will they stay fun? Right now, and I am only level 40, the only thing which I find fun is combat with my Elementalist. The rest, be it WvW, sPvP, crafting, DE, Hearts and Dungeon crawling is simply not very appealing. I have seen it all in other games and got bored of them there, dont see the big difference here.

The only thing which is refreshing here is the combat which is on par, but not same, as in TERA.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    Originally posted by Tardcore

It is "different" than most other themepark MMOs in that sense, but not unique to GW2 and actually quite common in the sandbox sub-genre.

Again I think this list was put together to combat the "nothing to do at 80" crowd, not put together to tout how "revolutionary and different GW2 end-game is" because it's really not - it's just different then a lot of themepark MMOs.

Macroing before 7X GM

Not macroing after 7X GM

Some of us actually didn't macro in UO. Some of us actually played and enjoyed the game.

And post Trammel/Felucca split UO pre-LBR is more similar in design philosophy and "feel" to GW2 than GW2 is similar to any EQ/WoW/Post-Wow themepark.

But that's off topic.

The list is dumb - but I believe was just made to show the obvious logical flaws in the "there is nothing to do at 80" comments we keep seeing.

Well yeah I see the point, but it doesn't help much to those who got bored during the climb to level cap.

I see it kind of like how it ends up for people in those damned endgame raid MMOs that reach cap but don't like raiding.

I'm going to come clean here and say that beacsue this^ has been my experience (as Dude1), I do actually prefer the horizontal, go-back-and-do-what-you-missed movement of GW2. Which is to say "I hate endgame (raiding especially)".

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by papardelios
    Originally posted by krakra70

Here's my list:

1-80: Start looking for an MMO with actual endgame.

ahahaha agree 100%  :)

Funny thing is the "actual" end game is the same as this list in all mmorpgs. Grind for gear. Grind for titles. Grind for rankings.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Xzen

Here's my list:

Funny thing is the "actual" end game is the same as this list in all mmorpgs. Grind for gear. Grind for titles. Grind for rankings.

And by all you mean most themepark MMORPGs.

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Macroing before 7X GM

Not macroing after 7X GM

But that's off topic.

Lol @ your post   &   Lol @ your banner

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Heads-up, guys! Amana's awake.

*waves at Amana

*shuffles off (not-so) innocently

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    I honestly don't understand the issue. If you don't like the game, stop playing. It was designed in a particular way, and the entire game seems to me to be built to a consistent philosophy. (Do what you want - we won't stop you.) I love it and will play it a long time. If you don't, find a game you like and play that.
  • xmentyxmenty Member UncommonPosts: 718

@OP, please let me know which MMO have no grind at endgame at all?

Pardon my English as it is not my 1st language :)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I nominate this as post of the day

I miss DAoC

• Mors-SubitaMors-Subita Member UncommonPosts: 517
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Here's my list:

you mean like the games whhere endgame means you run the raid of the quarter for gear that will be obsolete when the new raif of the quarter comes out? Repeat until your eyes bleed. Or the games where endgame means  gank the newbies in the PvP zones?

hell yes, i dont mind if the gear becomes obsolete. i m doing it for the fun and challenge to defeat a real boss, with real fight mechanics. all this with others that they care what i m doing. that matters what they are doing either to me or to the boss. not a stupid run and zerg on stupids and mindless DE bosses.  no1 cares what they do (if they do something special) or what they must do to them or the other players around. it will be killed anyway. i m sure that after countless DE boss fights none has noticed anything about them. only if they are bugged :)

Sounds like you haven't actually played any dungeons... So you are comparing dungeon bosses in other games against open world mobs in this game and complaining that they are mindless... Why don't you try comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Let's ignore all the fights with kitchy/stupid mechanics(turning into a moa in the sylvari starting area,  I am looking at you) do you really think there are more open world "bosses" (champs or better) that have better mechanics in other games than in GW2? How about Dungeon boss mechanics, have you fought against(for example) the lovers in AC? How about the final boss in story mode Citadel of Flame?

Anyone here want to try and tell me that the final boss in SM CoF does not require good communication and people using strategy to do it? Forget even just the final boss... how about the boss with the godforged weapons? If you don't have everyone doing what they should, chances are you are going to get slaughtered.

Guess what, comparing a 5 or even 10 man dungeon in WoW against an open world champion(not even a boss, just the final mob in a regular DE most of the time) is inappropriate. You want to make comparisons? DE "bosses" are like WoW elite mobs. That is it. You want to compare dungeons, compare them against dungeons... And the GW2 dungeons require significant skill and are both fun and challenging.

• krakra70krakra70 Member Posts: 122

Here's my list:

you mean like the games whhere endgame means you run the raid of the quarter for gear that will be obsolete when the new raid of the quarter comes out? Repeat until your eyes bleed. Or the games where endgame means  gank the newbies in the PvP zones?

been there done that, but thanks anyway

No. I mean the games where the PvP is actually fun and there is permanent progression, not just temporary buffs like +1% crafting crits, and your pc doesn't drop to 15 fps in keep sieges.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Mors-Subita

Here's my list:

you mean like the games whhere endgame means you run the raid of the quarter for gear that will be obsolete when the new raif of the quarter comes out? Repeat until your eyes bleed. Or the games where endgame means  gank the newbies in the PvP zones?

hell yes, i dont mind if the gear becomes obsolete. i m doing it for the fun and challenge to defeat a real boss, with real fight mechanics. all this with others that they care what i m doing. that matters what they are doing either to me or to the boss. not a stupid run and zerg on stupids and mindless DE bosses.  no1 cares what they do (if they do something special) or what they must do to them or the other players around. it will be killed anyway. i m sure that after countless DE boss fights none has noticed anything about them. only if they are bugged :)

Sounds like you haven't actually played any dungeons... So you are comparing dungeon bosses in other games against open world mobs in this game and complaining that they are mindless... Why don't you try comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Let's ignore all the fights with kitchy/stupid mechanics(turning into a moa in the sylvari starting area,  I am looking at you) do you really think there are more open world "bosses" (champs or better) that have better mechanics in other games than in GW2? How about Dungeon boss mechanics, have you fought against(for example) the lovers in AC? How about the final boss in story mode Citadel of Flame?

Anyone here want to try and tell me that the final boss in SM CoF does not require good communication and people using strategy to do it? Forget even just the final boss... how about the boss with the godforged weapons? If you don't have everyone doing what they should, chances are you are going to get slaughtered.

Guess what, comparing a 5 or even 10 man dungeon in WoW against an open world champion(not even a boss, just the final mob in a regular DE most of the time) is inappropriate. You want to make comparisons? DE "bosses" are like WoW elite mobs. That is it. You want to compare dungeons, compare them against dungeons... And the GW2 dungeons require significant skill and are both fun and challenging.

i dont like dungeons at all in gw2. i play the game as much as it pleases me and its less than an hour per day. after that i m boring to death. the only thing i can credit, is that is a non sub mmo and i have the option to play it as much as i want, whenever i want. but it will always be an alt mmo, at least for me.

• ChingoChingo Member UncommonPosts: 128
    81. Hang around in bars wearing high heels.

hell yes, i dont mind if the gear becomes obsolete. i m doing it for the fun and challenge to defeat a real boss, with real fight mechanics.

you mean the real boss fights where you need 2 healers 1 tank and a couple of DD's. Where the main healer stands here and heals while the other rezes and one DD stands here and the other there and the mage spams lightning not fire becasue this boss is weak to lightening then when the boss gets down to 60 K hit points then he spawns 12 minions who come out from there. and then you shift attention from the boss to the minions who ar resitent to lightning  not fire just like they were last run and hope you kill the boss before everyone dies but if  you get  groupwiped wiped you can start alll over again and hope charlie does not flub that heal when the boss goes into fury mode. That is unless Charlie decides he needs to get some sleep and you have to look for another healer. Then you do this same  little scripted "fight" every Friday when your raid timer resets hoping that the boss will drop a piece of gear that you can use and you win the roll for it.  Of course teh first 50- 80 levels are not real fun , just a grind of levels to be completed as quickly as possible so you can get to the fun part

For me I thought that was fun, ten or twelve years ago and about 70 sets of "raid gear" that was useless two weeks after I acquired it. Now raids just put me to sleep

I miss DAoC

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

Considering I don't think I've accomplished any of those yet, I have a lot of gameplay left. No complaints here!

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Why are so many people vested in promoting this weird continuous warfare between Brand X and Brand Z?

All the same sterling fellow.  Damn, he is so attractive.  And the prose he generates, very effulgent.

Never mind, 'forum pvp', of course.  Nothing will stem this tide (except Pandas--give them something else to do, maybe?)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Never mind, 'forum pvp', of course.  Nothing will stem this tide (except Pandas--give them something else to do, maybe?)

make it grind a panda to 90 week LOL, as to the why part why do people give a crap who wins the superbowl or why do they watch Food network and  pretend they are eating gourmet meals instead of kraft Mac and Cheese. Entertainment

I miss DAoC

i dont like dungeons at all in gw2. i play the game as much as it pleases me and its less than an hour per day. after that i m boring to death. the only thing i can credit, is that is a non sub mmo and i have the option to play it as much as i want, whenever i want. but it will always be an alt mmo, at least for me.

I found you boring to death after much less than an hour... The fact that you compare dungeons and dungeon bosses in one game with regular elite monsters found randomly in the world in another gives us a good indication about the validity of your opinion... which is pretty much nil.

Like I said, give me comparisons between random elite mobs found in the open world in other games with the eltie mobs found in the open world in GW2.

Give me comparisons between the bosses in GW2 dungeons vs. dungeons in the other games...

Or better yet, go play CoF story mode, the way I suggested... and tell me which other game had as interesting mechanics for the boss fight? Yes, he did follow the traditional themepark boss template (Stage 1, stage 2, stage 3, etc.) but the actual mechanics and gameplay for it were fantastic.

I have only done 3 of the dungeons so far, and I found all of them interesting, all of them fun, all of them challenging. But to put that in perspective, when I went to AC I went first with a PUG and I found it frustrating and annoying, because they kept trying to zerg things and we were getting creamed. I went back in with a planned group who was actually communicating and using strategy we were able to progress pretty well... It was pretty awesome. Same thing in Twilight Arbor. If I hadn't been with a group that was communicating and employing strategy I cannot imagine that we would have been able to take down Faolain.

hell yes, i dont mind if the gear becomes obsolete. i m doing it for the fun and challenge to defeat a real boss, with real fight mechanics.

you mean the real boss fights where you need 2 healers 1 tank and a couple of DD's. Where the main healer stands here and heals while the other rezes and one DD stands here and the other there and the mage spams lightning not fire becasue this boss is weak to lightening then when the boss gets down to 60 K hit points then he spawns 12 minions who come out from there. and then you shift attention from the boss to the minions who ar resitent to lightning  not fire just like they were last run and hope you kill the boss before everyone dies but if  you get  groupwiped wiped you can start alll over again and hope charlie does not flub that heal when the boss goes into fury mode. That is unless Charlie decides he needs to get some sleep and you have to look for another healer. Then you do this same  little scripted "fight" every Friday when your raid timer resets hoping that the boss will drop a piece of gear that you can use and you win the roll for it.  Of course teh first 50- 80 levels are not real fun , just a grind of levels to be completed as quickly as possible so you can get to the fun part

For me I thought that was fun, ten or twelve years ago and about 70 sets of "raid gear" that was useless two weeks after I acquired it. Now raids just put me to sleep

+1

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I love when people try to use this as a defense... when the same list can be made for virtually every MMO out there.  

Guildwars 2 lacks 'end game' in terms of content specific for reaching the end. Its up to you if it matters or not, and it doesn't mean its a bad game just becuase it doesn't have some components. That being said, the list itself is quite silly as it makes itself sound as if its a vast list of things to do, when the list can be created easily on many other different games, and even expanded upon likely more (which to be fair to GW2, is in part due to having been out a bit longer). 

Either way, such a list is really a poor way to justify things to do at 80. 

Pretty much this. 

A list like this only makes the game's activities look silly.  The number of items in the list first creates a false expectation that there must be an absolutely enormous amount of stuff to do, which is then promptly disproven by the contents of the list itself.  This list is indeed a poor way to justify things to do at 80.

However, if we admit that a similar list can be made for virtually every other MMO--a claim that I believe to be accurate--then we also cannot use a list like this to infer that GW2 has less content than other MMOs.  Such an argument would suffer from the same problem.  It just is what it is. 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Xzen

Here's my list:

And by all you mean most themepark MMORPGs.

I stand corrected. Yes all Themepark mmorpgs.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Entertainment

That doesn't really flatter either Brand X or Brand Z, does it?

Benefit of the doubt extended, forum PvP fans--you're on lunch breaks.  Hmm me too "time for cheesesteak"!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Here's my list:

This

Very disappointed with the lack of things to do at 80