Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 at 2M boxes sold, MOP double?

AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

I may be short on my prediction.   GW2 announced that they had sold 2M boxes so far, with another 10 days until MOP.  I had predicted that MOP would sell double, in it´s first day (and only in the west),  than GW2 sold in the month leading up to MOP.  While most of GW2 occurred the first week, you gotta figure they are still pulling in 100k per week... so give them 2.3M boxes when MOP launches.

I don´t think MOP gets 4.6M sales, even 4.2 will be pushing it.

One telling thing though is how many people are riding around on the collector´s edition Mounts.  Not only does that indicate that a ton of people have already bought MOP, but that they paid $60 for it.  Those mounts are so common now that I wouldn´t even use it if I had it.

2M for GW2 is a huge number... but in reality, MOP will sell almost double that in 1 day to people who will also have to pay $15 per month, and that is only in the West.

I like Blizzard´s business model much better.

Comments

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    I would be surprised if MOP pre-order + day 1 sales are close to 4 million (considering Cata sold 3.3 milion in the first 24 hours), but will easily sell 4 million plus in it's first month. Cata sold 4.7 million in it;s first month - not avaliable in china at the time.
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by expresso
    I would be surprised if MOP pre-order + day 1 sales are close to 4 million (considering Cata sold 3.3 milion in the first 24 hours), but will easily sell 4 million plus in it's first month. Cata sold 4.7 million in it;s first month - not avaliable in china at the time.

As subs have been sliding since Cata, I expect MoP to be less than Wrath at launch. It will pick up, but I don't think we'll see the record-breaking numbers we have for the past releases.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

I bought 3 copies since i and both of my brothers are goign to play MOP at release. We are also playing GW2 together. But what i am getting is at a lot of  us can play both games at same time one being B2P and all. Why it has to be a competition between the two?

What will happen if say MOP outsells GW2 or if it fails to outsell GW2?

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by halflife25

I bought 3 copies since i and both of my brothers are goign to play MOP at release. We are also playing GW2 together. But what i am getting is at a lot of  us can play both games at same time one being B2P and all. Why it has to be a competition between the two?

Nothing..  but the NFL and MLB  make billions of dollars because people like to talk about things that have no bearing on actual real life.   Why have I been a Steelers fan for 30 years, and cheer for a player I have never met, and whose success on Sunday has no bearing at all on my real life?  Kinda the same thing.. 

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

Why does it matter to be honest?

If GW2 sales are enough to support future development and met their target goal, then they have succeeded. If MoP went on to sell 52 trillion boxes would that somehow change the previous statement?

WoW has the largest subscriber base for an MMO currently, it is not really surprising that it will sell a lot of copies of its expansion despite its massive loss of subscribers earlier this year. 

Not sure why everything has to be measured up to WoW (which is an anomaly) and can't just be measured by their own merrit. 

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

WoW has something like 6 million western players? Why would anyone not expect it to sell at least that much?

I realize this thread is some sort of pissing contest but is there anyone who really feels that  Pandaland will not outsell GW2? And why are we comparing a game to an expansion of an already existing game?

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

As subs have been sliding since Cata, I expect MoP to be less than Wrath at launch. It will pick up, but I don't think we'll see the record-breaking numbers we have for the past releases.

I think that will be the telling sign if WOW actually ´lost´ subs or if there were just a lot of people who temporarily unsubscribed because DS got old.  Did they come back and buy MOP.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Leethe

WoW has something like 6 million western players? Why would anyone not expect it to sell at least that much?I realize this thread is some sort of pissing contest but is there anyone who really feels that  Pandaland will not outsell GW2? And why are we comparing a game to an expansion of an already existing game?

Logically speaking and not being biased in any manner i say yes MOP will out sell GW2. GW2 fan base can not just match Blizzards fan base but question is why does it matter?
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Azrile

I may be short on my prediction.   GW2 announced that they had sold 2M boxes so far, with another 10 days until MOP.  I had predicted that MOP would sell double, in it´s first day (and only in the west),  than GW2 sold in the month leading up to MOP.  While most of GW2 occurred the first week, you gotta figure they are still pulling in 100k per week... so give them 2.3M boxes when MOP launches.

One telling thing though is how many people are riding around on the collector´s edition Mounts.  Not only does that indicate that a ton of people have already bought MOP, but that they paid $60 for it.  Those mounts are so common now that I wouldn´t even use it if I had it.

2M for GW2 is a huge number... but in reality, MOP will sell almost double that in 1 day to people who will also have to pay $15 per month, and that is only in the West.

Putting the two games aside

OP please explain to me: Why you like Blizzard's business model better.

$15 a month versus $0 per month and both games you have the option to purchase items in a cash shop.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I think that will be the telling sign if WOW actually ´lost´ subs or if there were just a lot of people who temporarily unsubscribed because DS got old.  Did they come back and buy MOP.

Agreed. I'm one of those that was lost to Cata, but MoP looks decent and I'm looking good for about 2 months of it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

I stopped plaing WoW in January after my guild had our fill of raiding Dragon soul, there has been no new content since Dragon soul -  thats 9 months (come on blizzard!).  I assume a lot of people have just done what I did consumed the avaliable content and stop playing until MOP, hence drop in subs but we'll al be back.  Sales figures should be on par if not a little better than Cata but I guess we'll know in a few weeks.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

I plan on giving it a shot. I'm really looking forward to the Panda thing no matter what others have said. The trailer is pretty awesome! :)

I'm not to sure of the relevance to GW2 sales but I guess it's important to some folks! I for one can play many different games be cause I'm gameidextrious. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I may be short on my prediction.   GW2 announced that they had sold 2M boxes so far, with another 10 days until MOP.  I had predicted that MOP would sell double, in it´s first day (and only in the west),  than GW2 sold in the month leading up to MOP. 

im expecting MOP West to sell less than Cata West - but will see soon enough

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Propably around 4 mil? Could be less after Cata incident though. I bought Cata to play it for a very short time, I even considered trying out MoP back at spring even when I fully know that the game is unable to suck me in anymore. Maybe that's because it has pretty much been my only long term mmorpg, back in the day. And I'm definately not alone.

I'm kinda curious to see how many people are holding back on GW2 for MoP, then try MoP out just to realize that yep it's still the exact same game they quit and then go try out GW2. Who knows, propably not many, afterall it's Blizz and their trailers are awesome :)

But I gotta say when ever WoW expansion launches it reminds me of how bad shape the genre is in. There's so few actual contenders or worthwile games, so little variation and actual choises to pick from. It's one of the reasons why so many people keep buying WoW expansions without really even playing the game. The game sells like crazy yet the gameplay hours reported on stats sites are not very flattering for the game.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

What's with all the East side, West side think? WoW never sold boxes in China ( Asia ) because the payment model is different then the one in EU/NA.

On a side note, let them sell as many boxes as possible and take their time and investment to put it in "Titan".

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by IceAge

What's with all the East side, West side think? WoW never sold boxes in China ( Asia ) because the payment model is different then the one in EU/NA.

On a side note, let them sell as many boxes as possible and take their time and investment to put it in "Titan".

We need to split up west and east else this thread would fill up with trolls talkiing about Blizzard lieing about their sub numbers.

We need to split up west and east else this thread would fill up with trolls talkiing about Blizzard lieing about their sub numbers.

Yes, we need to split up west and east, and you said it correct! It's about sub numbers not box sales!

Other then that, carry on ..

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

Yes, we need to split up west and east, and you said it correct! It's about sub numbers not box sales!

When blizzard announced month 1 Cata sales of 4.7million they also said they had some 12million subscribers, the trolls made a point of saying "so 7 million players did not buy Cata, proof blizz lie about their numbers", we had to explain that Cata was not avaliable in china and some other regions at the time.  

It's best to remind people of this when talking about blizzard numbers cus many people of this forum are looking to cause trouble.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Henry Ford sold over 15 million  model T's which was a record for it's time. Wow was the Model T of MMO's, it made MMO history but it's business model and the raid end game is out dated just like turning a hand crank to start the engine in auto's is outdated. Not sure how many people will want to spend box price and 15 dollars a month just to play a panda character other than some pre teens. I could be surprised, time will tell

I miss DAoC

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I think MoP will sell less that Cata did and I'll be surprised if it sold more. Big black dragon is in almost everyones fantasy tastes, asian pandas are not.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

MoP will certainly sell a lot more.  I've wanted them to lose a ton of subscribers simply because they've just become safe and really don't deliver the amount of content their income could support.  I wonder what Trion would produce with those kind of box sales and subscriber dollars.

GW2 has a chance to grow, but I think they need to iron out end game before that will happen on a major scale.

When blizzard announced month 1 Cata sales of 4.7million they also said they had some 12million subscribers, the trolls made a point of saying "so 7 million players did not buy Cata, proof blizz lie about their numbers", we had to explain that Cata was not avaliable in china and some other regions at the time.  

It's best to remind people of this when talking about blizzard numbers cus many people of this forum are looking to cause trouble.

Don't get me wrong, but while I understand your point, you need to understand that no BC,WOLK,Cata expansion boxes have been sold in China ( Asia ) . They don't need to buy boxes in order to play the game! It's simple is their business model. They pay by hour. Having saying that, people who don't believe in WoW's numbers is their .. problem :)

They will sell as many subs as they currently have in EU/NA ! Which means 4 to 5 mils boxes!

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79

I would guess slightly less than Cataclysm, which is still significantly more than GW2. At a high level it seems like WoW is slowly in decline and MoP doesn't seem all that exciting. I also think there might be some former WoW players that are currently satistified with GW2.

The sales numbers for MoP should be a good indication of the health of WoW.

Originally posted by bbbmmmlll

I would guess slightly less than Cataclysm, which is still significantly more than GW2. At a high level it seems like WoW is slowly in decline and MoP doesn't seem all that exciting. I also think there might be some former WoW players that are currently satistified with GW2.

The sales numbers for MoP should be a good indication of the health of WoW.

Many WoW players who enjoy GW2, will still play WoW! The 2 games can be played in the "same time". So WoW will be fine! I am pretty sure that it will sell at least like Cata!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by halflife25

Nothing..  but the NFL and MLB  make billions of dollars because people like to talk about things that have no bearing on actual real life.   Why have I been a Steelers fan for 30 years, and cheer for a player I have never met, and whose success on Sunday has no bearing at all on my real life?  Kinda the same thing.. 

Actually, about 25 years ago I came to the same realization you just made here, and stopped following professional sports after that.  Makes no sense at all when you really think about it.

No doubt being able to sell perhaps 3M + boxes and collect a sub fee would be every developer's dream, but in the long haul very few games can count on that sort of business model working for them.

Sure, it's nice if you can get it, but they are few and far between.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon