Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW2 would globally score only 30%

2»

Comments

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern
    Originally posted by Ethos86

You're saying it's my personal opinion that I'm a goat. Man, I must be playing it wrong.

*Mehehehehehehehe

Nope, pretty sure. I'm a goat. A mighty fine looking one, if I do say so myself.

But you sound like a sheep. Clearly goat's aren't for everyone.

How many times do I have to go over this?

Goat = Meheheheheheh

Sheep = Bahahahahahah

I know someone is sounding those out in their cubicle right now, much to the delight of their co-workers.

Hahaha, guilty... luckely everbody left about 5 minutes ago.

Still... in Belgium sheeps go *Mehehehehehe. And don't make me use maths to prove it! I WARN YOU! Cause I WILL!

That explains it! I've never met a Belgish sheep.

They probably have goat-envy.

Oh by the way. Another fun fact: Panda's barkhttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071129072647AAP3tey

:)

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    *Snip a whole bunch of crap

That explains it! I've never met a Belgish sheep.

They probably have goat-envy.

Oh by the way. Another fun fact: Panda's barkhttp://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071129072647AAP3tey

:)

<Straight-faced, blinking-eyed emoticon inserted here>

I know what I'll be doing when MOP hits.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

Way too many 'if's' to accept this calculation and way to much stuff left out on how you determined this calculation should be measured.

For starters, there is no gaurentee that those who voted on this site even bought the game - so the data is useless to begin with; therefore you must assume that 'if the mmorpg voters are legit' and therefore, the 'if' in that statement invalidates this from any real accuracy.

Second, you want us to assume that 'if nothing from the mmorpg poll was included in the metacritic poll'. In essence, did the metacritic poll look to the mmorpg poll and add its numbers to its average score? If so, it is in essence, 'double voting'. Anyway, this would have to be validated to insure the integrety of the model.

Third, even if we make certain assumptions, like the votes from the two polls don't overlap and represent completely separate individuals, then the total number of votes is 1751, or in other words .000875% of the number of people who bought the game. Again, this would also be assuming each vote is a verifiable and legitamate player - which we have already determined cannot be done with at least the mmorpg poll. AND assuming that .000875 is a reasonable number to extrapolate global opinion trends.

There is no one who understands statistics that would reasonably defend this math, based on the insanely low number.

I certainly don't believe that 85 to 95% of Guild Wars2 players think it is the greatest game ever. But there would have to be a lot more well though out research done to actually prove that only 30% of those playing GW2 like it. And frankly, what would it prove and to who? What would be the global outcome of this 'proof'?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

We used to have a goat when I was a kid (heh), and somehow I ended up riding the goat backwards from out behind a tree. I had to bottle feed it because it was still young but apparently it wanted to play. My mother could not stop laughing long enough to even ask me what happened, much less see if I was actually hurt. We had a cat that would routinely abuse all the animals to the point that all of the show dogs were afraid of her. The goat would annoy her until she started to claw at him and he would use that to scratch the top of his head, I guess when it itched. Later, when we moved to a smaller house, the goat went to live on a goat farm. He survived eating a nail that he found somewhere, but he did not survive eating the top of a tin can that he found buried in the ground. I was sad, but he really wasn't very bright.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

We used to have a goat when I was a kid (heh), and somehow I ended up riding the goat backwards from out behind a tree. I had to bottle feed it because it was still young but apparently it wanted to play. My mother could not stop laughing long enough to even ask me what happened, much less see if I was actually hurt. We had a cat that would routinely abuse all the animals to the point that all of the show dogs were afraid of her. The goat would annoy her until she started to claw at him and he would use that to scratch the top of his head, I guess when it itched. Later, when we moved to a smaller house, the goat went to live on a goat farm. He survived eating a nail that he found somewhere, but he did not survive eating the top of a tin can that he found buried in the ground. I was sad, but he really wasn't very bright.

Growing horns itch.

/truestory

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Math to predict what stuff will be out of speculation is dumb.

In that point, 'game scores' are quite dumb as well. They never really measure a game accurately... and often times are extremely bias, specially fresh after launch. Just let the numbers drop in score naturally and keep not that score means very little.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Funny. :)

Still if you'll sort mmorpg.com game list by rating/hype you'll see that only two released games have ratings above 8: GW2 and TSW. In other words - two recent MMOs that tried to be different. Whether they succeed or not is another question but the effort itself is commendable.

Rift holds the 3rd place (among released games) with 7.46 and I think the score is well-deserved. I have mixed feelings about Rift but technically speaking Trion did great job with those limitied resources they had as a brand new developer. Their class system is still one of the best and would be even better if they learned to balance little by little instead of pushing full class revamps often uncalled for. Their extensive beta testing allowed them to get rid of the most glaring bugs even before launch (an opportunity ANet totally missed).

GW2 rating will almost certainly fall in the long run as new games will be announced and released. But 9.06 - even for a brief moment - isn't bad. Isn't bad at all.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

We used to have a goat when I was a kid (heh), and somehow I ended up riding the goat backwards

I stopped reading right there. You dirty little... this is a serious topic. Please discuss your personal experiences with goats on another forum :p.

PS: I'm kinda upset by the effort that some guys have put in their reply to reason why my math fails. Isn't it obvious that this is the whole point? I'm just seeing now how pointless it is to defend GW2 with logic like I did in the past. It doesn't change anything. Most people even only read the topic title and the first post.

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

42% =   240.790 votes

35% = 1.386.950 votes

28% = 3.328.677 votes

What i dont get is how 240790 * 2.4 = 1386950

Apart from that all he is saying is true

;)

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by A1D3N
    u can say GW2 has millions of account.... but if the game was pay to play monthly i bet it would be far lower because i know of fact 4 ppl (including me) who brought GW2 and dont play it cos it sucks

every gamer I know personally is playing GW2 so I guess that proves that 100% of the gamers are playing GW2

these threads are becomming more and more pathetic, MMORPG.com has become the Jerry Springer of game sites.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by A1D3N
    u can say GW2 has millions of account.... but if the game was pay to play monthly i bet it would be far lower because i know of fact 4 ppl (including me) who brought GW2 and dont play it cos it sucks

every gamer I know personally is playing GW2 so I guess that proves that 100% of the gamers are playing GW2

these threads are becomming more and more pathetic, MMORPG.com has become the Jerry Springer of game sites.

Meheheheheheheh

*Wanders off to find someone to scratch his head

Originally posted by Pouf

42% =   240.790 votes

35% = 1.386.950 votes

28% = 3.328.677 votes

What i dont get is how 240790 * 2.4 = 1386950

Apart from that all he is saying is true

;)

Oh damn :D you got me. I should have put a disclaimer in it that my math could be slightly off. Anyway, thank you for the recognition.

You have earned 666 karma and a full heart in my most personal zone.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I think the best part of this is, with few enough voters GW2 could score higher than 100% on the ratings! 

Argh! Missed opportunity right there!

• Originally posted by Ethos86
    Originally posted by udon

Ah but if you were looking at two points at the top of a inverted exponential curve it would be a score of 0 by about 50,000 votes and a million people would rate it near negative infinity.

Sounds like GW2's score it so bad it risks creating a singularity and killing us all.

My head exploded. Thanks. Now I need a new one. Maybe the next one will have better hair...........

Juding your avatar, it still looks like a sheep. :p

ADMINS! For the love of God, give me a straight-faced, blinking-eyed emoticon!

I'm a goat.

Meheheheheh, not bahahahahah.

/sheesh

You think that's a goat, but that's your PERSONAL OPINON. My opinion is that it looks more like a sheep. And since mine opinion is just as valid as yours... ehm.... I don't know how we will settle this... maybe we need a new topic and a poll?

Shit i'm confused now. Help...

That only looks like a sheep to someone who has never seen a goat.

*bounds back in with a freshly scratched head

Shows over folks! Move along.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

HONEY BADGER!!!!1!

Here's a poem.

Roses are red.
    Violets are a shade of blue.
    Poems are hard.
    Bacon.

I hit some sort of nonsense limit in my brain yesterday reading posts on GW2 and this is the best I can do.

Roses are red.

Violets are blue.

I'm schizophrenic.

And so am I.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by udon

Ah but if you were looking at two points at the top of a inverted exponential curve it would be a score of 0 by about 50,000 votes and a million people would rate it near negative infinity.

Sounds like GW2's score it so bad it risks creating a singularity and killing us all.

You need three or more data points to path fit; else a straight mx+b line is the only projection you can make.

But when you factor in the non-English speakers and non-internet-capable (surely they won't vote approval?), 30% of the world pop may actually be generous.  I'm sure generous is not what the OP intended.

"rediculous"

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

"rediculous"

I knew this thread was missing something!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

What I found funny was the GW2 rating on Amazon.  When you look at the star breakdown there were more 1 stars than 2, 3 or 4.  This was telling...

You just gotta laugh and shake you're head.  Look at EVERYTHING on the internet as entertainment and nothing more.  People take themselves way too seriously so they get grumpy.  2cp.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Latin potty puns?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Latin potty puns?

But.........but I don't know any!

And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't know one when I saw it.

<-----small goat

This discussion has been closed.