Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR launch outsold GW2 launch...

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

Next let's compare Crysis 3 to Eve Online... :) I'm enjoying the threads that compare two completely different things

After Crysis 3 launches, I will be happy to discuss the comparison with you in a thread you create provided I've played enough Crysis 3 to make informed points.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Think anyone with any sense could've predicted TOR would have the greater initial sales.  Long term, though?  Heh, good luck.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Launch sales vs launch sales, I mean. GW2 barely hit 2 million. 

And the problem is?

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Let's begin by examining the enormous hype surrounding SWTOR and how it was different then GW2. SWTOR had promises upon promises about how players would be doing things they never did before in any other game yet when it was in beta, many people found out this wasn't true, and they lifted the NDA literally just before launch to prevent people from revealing this fact. 

Second, you are forgetting that GW2 had to literally STOP sales because of how it was selling so many copies they couldn't keep up with the server problems. Now that they are better prepared, they have re-opened sales. This game is 2 weeks old. seriously. move along.

And finally, after the launch of SWTOR was nothing like the final beta code they issued prior to ending the nda, not only did that prevent people with NDA footage from releasing their findings about the lies from the devs, it prevented a smooth launch even with it's current projected number of 200 k subs. So right after lying to the public people started dropping off like flies from this company, first the financial director left after claiming they had 1.7 mil active subs at any time (whatever that means), then the major writer and two major devs left claiming to "join other projects because they wanted to do something different" right, then some more devs left the project all while the new financial director stated the tired old 1.7 mil blah blah blah number, and right after that they fired 200 peoeple and rumors which were later confirmed about F2P conversion talk were leaked. The F2P talk was poopooed by the devs PR people telling folks it would be 3 years at least. Then suddenly the head of EA popped up in an interview and stated it would be much much sooner.

The reason THIS company went F2P is obvious. They could no longer sustain this game with so few players and such a small amount of Revenue (which isn't always the case for F2P conversion but in this case yes it was.)

GW2's sales were stunted not by failure, not by it being a bad title or misdirection, not by hype as literally thousands have posted on these forums alone (the hype part), but by Anet themselves to keep up with the quality. That's why SWTOR is having issues, QC (quality control) nothing more.

• TomBaker_fanTomBaker_fan Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Think anyone with any sense could've predicted TOR would have the greater initial sales.  Long term, though?  Heh, good luck.

I soooo wanted TOR to be a good game. enjoyed it for about a week before I got bored. GW2 is not even close to boring me.

The one thing I hated about TOR was how empty the cities felt. GW2 feels alive, and I dunno, I just really enjoy it 100 times more than TOR. It being FTP is a big bonus.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by TomBaker_fan

I soooo wanted TOR to be a good game. enjoyed it for about a week before I got bored. GW2 is not even close to boring me.

The one thing I hated about TOR was how empty the cities felt. GW2 feels alive, and I dunno, I just really enjoy it 100 times more than TOR. It being FTP is a big bonus.

Sorry to ask for clarification here.  You say "It being FTP is a big bonus" Are you referring to SWTOR's new payment model?  Or did you mean Buy to Play, the GW2 model?

• Ethos86Ethos86 Member Posts: 124
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by HeroEvermore
    Hey loke. They just announced officially that GW2 hit 2 mil sales (even with digital being closed down for awhile). So thats why all the haters came out today.

Ah, sorry, missed that. Morning here.

But yes, GW2 took 2 weeks longer that TOR to reach 2 million sales, the horror. If only the game did as well as TOR.... 

Sorry Loke, you are wrong again :p.

Some guy in this topic, above that comment of you, noted that TOR hitted the 2 million mark 5 weeks after their release. So, GW2 who hits that mark 2 weeks after release (with 1 week of shut down digital sales) had a more succesful launch than TOR. No matter how much spin they put on it.

The OP clearly didn't had his facts straight. But that was never a requirement to make new topcis so yeah... good riddance. :)

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

SWTOR is very successful.  We are changing payment models in order to share our wonderful game with more people.  Our AI programmers have developed programs to generate content without the need of programmers or artists.  We have provided generous bonuses to all employees of Bioware and have let them find positions with companies that are not able to provide machine generated content.  We have also let our wonderful community relations staff find other positions as we now generate bug free content and rarely receive customer service calls.

These threads get more ridiculous every day.  GW2 has nothing to do with SWTOR.

GOLDEN post :)

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Sorry to ask for clarification here.  You say "It being FTP is a big bonus" Are you referring to SWTOR's new payment model?  Or did you mean Buy to Play, the GW2 model?

He's taking about how he likes GW2 100 times more  than TOR because it (GW2) feels alive. So he means it (GW2) being FTP (BTP corerction) is a big bonus.

By the way. Isn't TOR actually going B2P as well and not FTP... if we want to be completely correct here and all. I still believe if you want to keep playing the game you still need to purchase the box. So that's B2P. A F2P game would be League of Legends for example. But there's so much confusion and mixup between those payment models that I have stopped caring about people using the wrong term for them.

• BombzawayBombzaway Member UncommonPosts: 78

How can OP say post stuff like that have 1.5k posts and still not been perma banned? Maybe my 4 year old cousin could make so useless assumption. Swtor is the biggest mmo fail in history.

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Ethos86

He's taking about how he likes GW2 100 times more  than TOR because it (GW2) feels alive. So he means it (GW2) being FTP (BTP corerction) is a big bonus.

By the way. Isn't TOR actually going B2P as well and not FTP... if we want to be completely correct here and all. I still believe if you want to keep playing the game you still need to purchase the box. So that's B2P. A F2P game would be League of Legends for example. But there's so much confusion and mixup between those payment models that I have stopped caring about people using the wrong term for them.

It's going F2P. You don't have to buy a copy of Swtor to play it when it's changed.

Originally posted by altair4
    Originally posted by Ethos86

It's going F2P. You don't have to buy a copy of Swtor to play it when it's changed.

Really? And do I get something more than others if I go back to the game? I payed for the game and 3 months subscriptions.

PS: I'm not really going back, don't have the time to play 2 MMO's.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    You see this guys? This is how you make a successful baiting thread. All you have to do is wait for the mods to go to sleep and then have at it.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541

I'm just here for the post count.

Boop +

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

uhg do these posts never stop ? does anyone dont get tired of these scrubs making posts like these all day long instead of good informative posts ?

last 100 threads are all GW2 Bored already, GW2 No endgame, GW2 WvW Suchs, GW2 Only sold 2 million, GW2 wasnt 1st with DE, GW2 worste laucn ever.

Dude go do something with your life, we know not all people like GW2, its ok we know, we dont need 50 million people to play our game.
    Servers are bombed already.
    Go do something with your life before you die.

Try to feel happy inside, instead of waisting internet space with these useless posts.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

how many people play swtor from all who bought it? why is swtor going F2P?.....How many people keep buying GW2 after launch?, How many people keep buying Swtor after launch?...

Talk about something else...

• FreakrxFreakrx Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

Really! Yes the sold 2 million copies and they balanced the servers very well. I had a buddy of mine try and buy it the other day and couldn't. Anyone playing a failed game like swtor is a loser.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

Well Capt Obvious,

This was never a question, anyone who follows MMO's already knew this.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Launch sales vs launch sales, I mean. GW2 barely hit 2 million. SWTOR at launch was.. 2.3 million I think? Or was it 2.7 million?

TOR probably sold less than GW2 for launch

first 3 days, EA reported over 1 million

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111226

after 5 weeks, EA financial period ending Jan 31, 2012

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/10

EA has reported sales of more than 2 million units of The Old Republic with about 1.7 million subscribers

after 4 months, EA reported 2.4 million units sold

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/05/07/swtor-subscriber-base-shrinks

As of the end of April 2012, 2.4 million units of Star Wars: The Old Republic have sold through.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Stupid post.

Guild Wars 2 will continue to sell actively and consistantly.

SW:TOR?

Will not.

Let's wait and see for how long GW2 "..will continue to sell actively and consistantly.." The real question is how many players will continue to be active 4 or 5 months after purchasing GW2. This is a figure we will likely never see, for obvious reasons.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Sinaku

Why does this matter at all? This isn't constructive or anything. This is being a fanboy.

Not to mention that this thread will rile up the GW2 fanboys and turn it into a pissing contest. Just close this already. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by Sinaku

Why does this matter at all? This isn't constructive or anything. This is being a fanboy.

Not to mention that this thread will rile up the GW2 fanboys and turn it into a pissing contest. Just close this already. 

Haha, no keep it. Biodrones vs Arenadrones? Dream match up, two of the most fanatical fanbases going at it. OP made the fatal mistake of posting this in the SWTOR forums, he shoulda posted it in the GW2 forum, thats where everyone is at. image

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Initial sales doesn't = successful game, it just means it was a successful launch- keeping the playerbase after the first 6 months is what matters, and SWTOR isn't cutting it.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

OP  4 words in your sig sum up star wars. i will leave it to you to figure it out.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by jondifool

the facts in this thread looks to be wrong. The first februar 2012 it was reported that swtor had passed the 2 mill mark, wich basicly look like it happend around or a little before 5 weeks after launch.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/

properly the exsact date can be found somewhere with some research. But it looks to me that in this topic, both game did amazing well in the first month. Can we leave it there ?

Guild Was sales have passed the total sales for SWTOR for the same time period...  They have so far sold more in less time.  By the time they are 6 weeks out from Launch they will most likely have stayed ahead of what SWTOR sold.

This discussion has been closed.