Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Nitth

Don't see the big deal, SWTOR had 2mil box sales, so what, noone considers that a successful MMO.  This number doesn't really mean much.  My guess is they will end up somewhere in the 3mil total boxes sold, I don't think there will be a very large active playerbase in 3 to 6 months though, end of the day it will be a niche MMO that is very well done if that is what your looking for in a game.

Some points to be made here 

A) SWTOR was a StarWars game and StarWars is probably the biggest franchise in the world at the moment so it was bound to sell well. I would argue also that had StarWars TOR been buy to play ( as it should have been ) it would hav sold more and been considered a success .

B) Guild Wars 1 made nowhere near the impact Guild Wars 2 has and it sold 7 millon boxes sales . So your estimate of three million I would think so way off its probably residing somewhere between timbuktu and cloud cookoo land .

C)As for there not being a very large playerbase in 6 months I suggest you look at the very early posts in these forums and see how many people said the same thing  about Warcraft 7 years ago .

Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by bestever
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

I sure hope so since GW2 doesnt have a SUB LOL dumb ***

Yes that was the joke, thanks for the name calling :)

It might have been best puting an lol or rofl laughing at the end of it or maybe an emote so people knew it was a joke . I suspected it might be but whens somethings just put up as you did it makes you sound more serious than you actually intended .  

• halflife25halflife25 Toronto, ONPosts: 737Member
    I suspect 10 + million sales for GW2. After all GW1 sold 7 million. GW2 will easily sell more. This is just the beginning.
  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 17,962Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Ngeldu5t
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

You mean the 4 or 5 Millions EU/NA customers or the rest from Asia?

Uhm, calm down a bit guys, or you start a flame war.

GW2 is anyways being translated into Chinese as we speak so numbers should be comparible in a few years if you think comparing a B2P and a P2P game is fair.

Not that I see how it matters, if GW2 does good enough to add updates and expansions I am a happy camper. In Wows case it is getting a bit old by now so if you look past the nearest future you probably want to keep your eyes out for when Blizzard announce Wow2 (They will, 6 months after Titan is released or so).

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common

Don't see the big deal, SWTOR had 2mil box sales, so what, noone considers that a successful MMO.  This number doesn't really mean much.  My guess is they will end up somewhere in the 3mil total boxes sold, I don't think there will be a very large active playerbase in 3 to 6 months though, end of the day it will be a niche MMO that is very well done if that is what your looking for in a game.

SWTOR had 2.4 million box sales after 4 months (April 2012) - context is everything

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/05/07/swtor-subscriber-base-shrinks

As of the end of April 2012, 2.4 million units of Star Wars: The Old Republic have sold through.

• nsignificnsignific ljPosts: 212Member
    Originally posted by Nadia

SWTOR had 2.4 million box sales after 4 months (April 2012) - context is everything

As of the end of April 2012, 2.4 million units of Star Wars: The Old Republic have sold through.

SWTOR was a subscription based game. You're right, context IS everything.

i think its fair to compare box sales to box sales
  • CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

well its not like the number is gonna go down or anything hehe..

Im actally suprised they have sold so little because of the amonut of super hype i expected them to sell more...

many mmos dont report subs

RIFT never reported subs - RIFT only reported sold units

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/07/rift-approaching-the-one-million-sell-through-mark/

any mmo that reports sold units, (read: SWTOR and RIFT), GW2 can make unit sale comparisons

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,806Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Im actally suprised they have sold so little because of the amonut of super hype i expected them to sell more...

So you expected WoW numbers?

GW2 is the biggest new MMORPG release in the west. 

Yeah, how can one not be surprised...

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by nsignific

Which of course makes SWTOR's sales all the more impressive knowing you had to pay a sub fee, when people buy GW@ they are taking far less of a chance, but still 2 mil in sales, congrats for selling almost as much as SWTOR

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,806Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Which of course makes SWTOR's sales all the more impressive knowing you had to pay a sub fee, when people buy GW@ they are taking far less of a chance, but still 2 mil in sales, congrats for selling almost as much as SWTOR

If I don't like GW2 - wasted $60.

If I don't like SWTOR - wasted $60. If someone pay another $15 for a month it is because they are liking it, so it isn't as if it is a risk.

Unless the only way people see those $15 or $30 or whatever worthwhile only if they proceed to spend another $500-$1000 in the same game.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

GW2 sold 2 million in 2 weeks

heres SWTOR numbers:

first 3 days, EA reported over 1 million

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111226

after 5 weeks, EA reported over 2 million

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/10

after 4 months, EA reported 2.4 million units sold

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by Caldrin

So you expected WoW numbers?

GW2 is the biggest new MMORPG release in the west. 

Yeah, how can one not be surprised...

Actually I think they've outsold WoW if you compare the first months GW2 sales to the first months WoW vaniilla sales . So in that respect they are already more successful than WoW . But playing devils adovocate you have to remember more people are interested in mmos than they were in 2005 .

Whatever way you look at it Guild Wars 2 is well on the way to being the most successful mmo since Warcraft . If nothing else it proves an mmo other than WoW can catch the public imagination and go beyond being an niche game .

Thats a good thing .

Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

If I don't like GW2 - wasted $60.

If I don't like SWTOR - wasted $60. If someone pay another $15 for a month it is because they are liking it, so it isn't as if it is a risk.

Unless the only way people see those $15 or $30 or whatever worthwhile only if they proceed to spend another $500-$1000 in the same game.

The reason I said what I said was because most people who bought SWTOR knew it had a sub and would not have bought it with out the understanding that their continued enjoyment would not happen without the outlay of more money, with GW2 you did not have to worry about that-therefore more financial stress buying SWTOR than GW2

GW2 sold 2 million in 2 weeks

heres SWTOR numbers:

first 3 days, EA reported over 1 million

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111226

after 5 weeks, EA reported over 2 million

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/10

after 4 months, EA reported 2.4 million units sold

My statement is still accurate.  A few weeks or a month from now we will find out if GW2 is able to surpass SWTOR, but right now they have not

• jpnolejpnole Tampa, FLPosts: 1,656Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Nitth

The problem here is they have orchestrated it in such a way that this number will ever decline. "2million units sold" 90% of the population could leave and it still would be "2 million units sold"

I personally think there is a hard ceiling to this game, Where everyone who wanted to play it, did.

Negative. Just as with the original GW, new players will continually come along. Yes, the rate of sales will decline over time as with all games. However, it doesn't matter if buyers keep playing, once Anet get's the $60 it will mean more content for those of us (Me!!!!) still playing.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Seattle, WAPosts: 220Member

My point was who cares about boxes sold.  It is a MMO if you sell 10M boxes and 10M people leave you still have a dead MMO.  Maybe GW2 will be a huge success and maybe it won't, but box sales don't matter.  GW2 is no different because it doesn't have a sub.  They still need people on the servers and people buying stuff from the cash shop.

SWTOR did not fail because they only sold 2.4M or 2M in the first month or whatever.  They failed because they didn't hold the player base and while with a f2p model this is harder to TRACK it still holds true.  GW2 will be a success or failure not based on how many boxes are sold but how many people continue to play the game and how full the servers are with people spending money.

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,204Member Uncommon

My point was who cares about boxes sold.  It is a MMO if you sell 10M boxes and 10M people leave you still have a dead MMO.  Maybe GW2 will be a huge success and maybe it won't, but box sales don't matter.  GW2 is no different because it doesn't have a sub.  They still need people on the servers and people buying stuff from the cash shop.

SWTOR did not fail because they only sold 2.4M or 2M in the first month or whatever.  They failed because they didn't hold the player base and while with a f2p model this is harder to TRACK it still holds true.  GW2 will be a success or failure not based on how many boxes are sold but how many people continue to play the game and how full the servers are with people spending money.

Box sales do count more toward GW2 success than month by month retention.  TOR built its success on box sales + retention.  It didn't meet either of its numeric targets.  That's why it has been considered a failure. Arena Net has built its success on box sales and I'm guessng a projected revenue gain in their cash shop as a supplement.  The majority of GW2 success lies in box sales.  Retention only really matter if people buy the next major expansion.

For a sub game that monthly fee between annual expacs is critical.  While retention, fanbase, and cash shop sales do matter in GW2 I think their business design is such that they are trying to minimize the effect of the in between time.  That is the weight of the revenue strategy doesn't seem to lie in the month to month spending like a sub game.

• PrograssivePrograssive gerat, KYPosts: 48Member
    gw2 = 0 end game and its sucks!

www.archeagetr.com

www.archeageonlinetr.com

• snapfusionsnapfusion San, CAPosts: 954Member
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Congrats, it really is the best mmo I've played in years. Finally, an mmo that comes out with all the bells and whistles, so much depth, and it's free to play?? :) Congrats ArenaNet, job well done.

I agree but its not a F2P game.  Unless Arenanet gave you a copy and didnt tell anyone else.

• Marcus-Marcus- Posts: 970Member Uncommon
    I'm surprised at how much i am enjoying this game.

I didn't care for GW1, i don't (or didn't) like cash shops, but theres so much that keeps me busy, and im having a lot of fun doing it. Been waiting for a game like this for awhile and i'm glad i picked it up.
  • nhatnhat york, PAPosts: 114Member Uncommon
    Eh it will takes a couple more millions to do that....
  • nhatnhat york, PAPosts: 114Member Uncommon
    Eh it will takes a couple more millions to catch up to wow but grats
  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,144Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Marcus-
    I'm surprised at how much i am enjoying this game.

I didn't care for GW1, i don't (or didn't) like cash shops, but theres so much that keeps me busy, and im having a lot of fun doing it. Been waiting for a game like this for awhile and i'm glad i picked it up.

Agree with you. As altholic will have a lot to do and just hope game is fun also beyond lv. 11. :-) all my 8 alts are now between 7 and 11 only, but so far I'm having a blast.

My biggest disappointment however was Aion, very fun to certain level, as I remember around 20, ... then only free fall. History, never to return. But If I have to compare and if memory still servers me well ... gw2 is waaaay much better and complex and with a lot of candies.

Nearly I'm sorry will have to stop for few months at 25.9., but wow is still my 2nd best game after Swtor. 3rd is Rift, but Gw2 I must admit is closing fast if will continue as so far.