Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game will fill the CoH void

jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Marvel Heroes

https://www.marvelheroes.com/

Being led by David Brevik, the guy who helped create Diablo. Trivia - he named it because he was living near Mt. Diablo outside San Francisco at the time.

Comments

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    It doesn't seem like an MMORPG, so I don't know how it'll fill an MMO void...
  • OSF8759OSF8759 Member Posts: 284
    Too bad that game is unmitigated garbage. Super Hero Squad for adults, complete with 30 Wolverines all on the same screen. Give me a break!
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    I used to respect Stan Lee, but what he has let the entertainment industry do with his characters puts him right down there with Lucas in my book now.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• gandalesgandales Member UncommonPosts: 472

For I have read, for every new game OP says something similar. I remember when he said DCUO was to rule over superhero mmos.

From the existing and planned games, with all its defects CO is the closest to CoX, still dcuo would be closer to CoX than Marvel Heroes. I am not saying that Marvel Heroes would be bad or anything, it can be great but it is oriented diferently from the traditional mmos.

• ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325

I don't think this will really fell the CoH void, but since it will be free I will likely try it, especially since it's aiming at solo play too.

BTW, even though CO may be in some ways closer to CoH, I will likely play more DCUO. There's no other game which made me feel like a superhero from the very first level.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by jpnole

Marvel Heroes

Being led by David Brevik, the guy who helped create Diablo. Trivia - he named it because he was living near Mt. Diablo outside San Francisco at the time.

SOmehow I don't think so. SUre its a bit early to tell but fro0m what I've seen it just feels lacking...

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

Marvel Heroes

It's too bad Brevik has chosen to say Marvel Heroes is a spiritual successor to Diablo.  It's going to come back to burn him.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Marvel Heroes

It's too bad Brevik has chosen to say Marvel Heroes is a spiritual successor to Diablo.  It's going to come back to burn him.

Given how Diablo 3 has been, who's to say that it ISN'T the spiritual successor (or at least more so than Diablo 3)?

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

It might be a good game (looks like an online version of that Ultimate Marvel game series from a few years ago), but it doesn't seem remotely like CoH, other than being superhero themed.

What I liked about CoH was creating your own heroes. I don't want to play someone else's.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

Another brilliant and accurate prediction from the guy who brought you this:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4641221#4641221

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

There's nothing out there that can, which is part of why this is so disappointing.  That Marvel game might fill the hole left by those that lost their Freedom Force discs; but it's no replacement for CoX...lol.

CO definitely can't.

DCUO's a console game - no, I'm not going to get my CoX fix from tap left, double tap right, hold left, right, right, double tap right...uh...no.

At this point, I might even sell my soul and champion NCSoft selling it to PWE to keep it alive.  Arrrrrgh, eh?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I fully agree with the others that no superhero mmo out there can replace CoH and I highly doubt any upcoming will either.

The game has brought not only innovation in the genre, it was the most unique mmo with great and most of all new systems out there that no other mmo ever created nor probably will (mission architect, base construction among others).

So I really hope our petition will be successfull and that the game will be saved.

Even if NCSoft indeed drops it, I hope that a other publisher will take it over and keep it alive for everyone.

I loved this game since its first closed beta and supported it since then aswell.

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

ya Marvel Heroes just doesnt impress me in any way. looks to be more designed as a diablo 3 clone and i wouldnt consider it a true MMO. ive played all superhero themed MMO's and theres a clear winner...

DC Universe Online is clearly the best superhero MMO. and one of the best MMO's period. today, with all the new content and a huge open and vibrant and DANGEROUS world, it really captures the exciting thrill of being in a comic world. and the combat is just incredible. i was blown away at its depth. ok if youre arthritic and slow minded and have a pacemaker and would rather click 2 buttons for heal, pewpew, heal... then play City of Elderly Old Folks homes... but if you want a true superhero or supervillian experience.. DCUO. the storylines are fantastically delivered as well. even find alot of light RP going around and i know there are dedicated RP guilds and a RP chat channel. great playerbase too and very friendly. my League is one of the best community of gamers i've ever met in any online game. rivals my first EQ1 guild.

i know CoH got the charm of being the first, and people are loyal to their first loves i guess... but damn move on, theres soo many better alternatives.

• thefounderthefounder Member Posts: 19
    Originally posted by Reehay
    ok if youre arthritic and slow minded and have a pacemaker and would rather click 2 buttons for heal, pewpew, heal... then play City of Elderly Old Folks homes... but if you want a true superhero or supervillian experience.. DCUO.

kinda harsh.  cant really fault CoH for its older game mechanics. and some people just like slow paced games like CoH. but ya DCUO is a thrilling game and the combat system fits perfectly with Comicbook theme. i really loved DCUO's character creation too. i never saw a player that looked like me... ever. and the variations of powers and loadouts and skill points and weapon choice and combos offer incredible possibilites.

and btw. my 51 year old aunt plays DCUO!! so you can be old and master true action combat! it can be done! lol you should see how tickled she gets when she blocks and dodges enemies. she actually does pretty darn good in world pvp too. she plays a supervillain

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    I used to respect Stan Lee, but what he has let the entertainment industry do with his characters puts him right down there with Lucas in my book now.

I'm a proud comic book dork.  I can't say that I disagree that the industry, movie in particular, hasn't been very kind to many Marvel characters. ( the "deadpool" character before he was turned into "deadpool" was a better Deadpool then what he became; WTF was that.  And the Kingpin in Daredevil sure didn't look like any Kingpin I ever saw in the comic book. )

But, The comic industry was literally dying.  I think it's fair to say that if it wasn't for Stan Lee, and obviously not just him, there wouldn't be a comic industry today.  Marvel realy never had that "character integrity" that you find with creator owned type IP's.  It's the difference between Sin City and spider man. Spidey is a corporate owned product, Sin City, as far as I'm aware, is creator owned.  Stan Lee's been the George Lucas of the comic industry longer then Star Wars has been around. 

It wasn't Bruce Banner in the original Hulk TV series because they felt that Bruce sounded to homosexual.  At least from what I've read, dunno if it's really true.   

I really don't see the marvel game filling the spot of CoH.  Completely different games.