Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW2 The most unsocial MMO I have ever played

1234568

Comments

  • sotosesotose RomePosts: 6Member

    I found two people trying to do the Lion's Arch cave/jumping puzzle.We grouped up,we entered a dark room,I waved my flaming sword in the darkness to make enough light so they could see the rocks and jump ahead.I got ldealyed and lost in the labyrynth and they came back to pick me up.One of them fell and I jumped all the way back to light his way.We did the whole thing that took 20 minutes while chatting.In the end they added my to their friend's list.

     

    I used a freaking flaming sword,not to kill some boss or get some loot but to help some stranger see his way inside a dark cave.That's Fellowship of the Ring stuff right there.How much more social do you want the game to be?

  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta wallington, NJPosts: 2,136Member
    Originally posted by HorrorScope
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    The MMO I grouped the most in was Shadowbane, and then SWTOR, with Vanguard a close third

     I played Vanguuard as a solo game, not that I wanted to but my work hours and the game being kind of empty when I got there forced that on me.

     

    DDO was a very group centric game(especially in the early days) and what was one of the biggest complaints in that game? PUGs, pick up groups. People complained all the time about the lack of skill in the avergae PUG. So while forced grouping might cause socializing it also causes complaining.

     

    I find in GW2 that the game itself is not anti social but the structure of the game does not force socializing. People will then socialize at their own pace. For some that might be in cities during downtime only, others keep up a running dialog the entire time they play.

      the main problem I had with DDO grouping was everyone wanted to race through the dungeon and that killed the enjoyment for me

    That is the games biggest issue. Now finding like players changes all of that. But those that blow through the dungeons comeback is "we've done it a 100 times". I get that to. Many thought random trap and enemy placement would have changed all of that, but making the change now, would piss these long time players off. Watching a DDO Youtube video is nothing but over powered toons solo zerging the dungeon and the viewer learns nothing.

     DDOs issue was for a long time there was just a core of players, it was a niche game for years. We played together for years and for many that play style was the play style. Then DDO went F2Pish and in 6 months something like 1 million new accounts were registered and now the old playstyle was no good for new players and ruined the game for them. I would always tell newer players to make LFG that asked for no vets who would spoil the dungeon. The best way to play was not to be dragged to the end by the OP solo players who had been there since the start.

  • RajCajRajCaj Lafayette, LAPosts: 706Member

    Sorry, I don't call running up on the same quest monster as 5 other people, getting a few shots off, then getting rewards....only for everyone to run off to their own next objective "grouping".  Maybe relative to all the other slew of solo-type MMORPGs that have come out recently, you can call this social interaction....but for a MMO vet, I miss the days of coordinated group play.

     

    I can't believe I'm going to say this, but I miss the early days of WOW....where small groups of players had to coordinate actions and work as a cohesive unit to progress through a dungeon or area.  

     

    I've read some of the folks stories on this post about their interactive experience with some other like minded players, and thats awesome.  However, if the game's path of least resistance is to solo your way through it, that's what most people will do.  This serverly limits the pool of players willing to socially interact....providing many folks with a lack luster experience when 8 out of 10 people they run into never say a word to them.

     

    Social MMOs are niche MMOs.  Developers hate niche MMOs because they don't make a lot of money (economys of scale are a beotch)  Leaned out themepark MMOs are mass audience MMOs.  Developers love mass audience MMOs because they make a ton of money (as I said, economys of scale are a beotch)

  • hellrazor70hellrazor70 Yuma, AZPosts: 2Member
    they would but most people are playing the game and are focused on the events and things to do with their guild that they are in nobody will talk much in world or general chat because of that reason and because no one wants to see more WoW trade chat in GW2. I know I don't want to and I am glad there is none.

    Frank :)

  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,145Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wrender

    C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

    ......

    There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

     

    Khm.... to which game you refer? I play GW2 and I'm having at all times full of players around. But could be problem with server selection, not sure.

    About 2nd complain ... ever considered real life socialising? Not with total strangers that actually does not mean anything, that will not be there when you will have real need in your real life? I find really sad people using games to "sociaiise" and stay in contact with human beings.

  • tomer10001tomer10001 asdPosts: 5Member
    I don't think anyone has actually played here? Social? there is no question mark IT IS THE MOST SOCIAL GAME MADE. The game encoureges u to ress people talk strategies in global chat , and to form tiny groups (partys) to take down smaller places. wheb i see people running around alone i always interact with thwm and sometimes we find ourselves in a 4v4 random combat in wvwveve and we help each other and laugh about it later. ive met over 20 people im still in contact with just in the betas and im planning to have more. "no reason to talk" ? that is just nonsense
  • daltaniousdaltanious waPosts: 2,145Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by tomer10001
    I don't think anyone has actually played here? Social? there is no question mark IT IS THE MOST SOCIAL GAME MADE. The game encoureges u to ress people talk strategies in global chat , and to form tiny groups (partys) to take down smaller places. wheb i see people running around alone i always interact with thwm and sometimes we find ourselves in a 4v4 random combat in wvwveve and we help each other and laugh about it later. ive met over 20 people im still in contact with just in the betas and im planning to have more. "no reason to talk" ? that is just nonsense

    Khm... actually DE have killed socializing even more then group finders tools. What social ali you talking about? Or is ressing for you "socializing"? You see event ... jump in ... blindly cast spells or other ... leave. Go to next DE. No need at all not even for standard "hello". No holly trinitiy so no need to coordinate with tank and healer. Died few times but group as group never ever wiped.

    I like GW2, but this are the facts about your most social game made.

  • TheMagickDollTheMagickDoll Indianapolis, INPosts: 29Member
    It is by far one of the more social games I have been in.  This game being anti social is total bunk.  If you want social, you have to be social yourself.  Whether walking around in the major cities or running around in the snowy peaks, I have always run into someone and we would adventure together or sit around a warm camp fire and chat it up a bit. But GW2 being the most unsocial MMO is totally nonsense. It is the exact opposite for me. I think the people who are having problems are not social themselves or they just not in the right neighborhood/server for them.

    I am sorry to hear some people feel isolated, but I would look more to what you are doing then starting to blame the people or the game they are playing. If a person really looks at the game, the mechanics encourages people to socialize or work together, giving a sense of brotherhood - not the other way around.

    I hope to one day see it develop into a great community that City of Heroes has. (F.U. NCsoft suits for shutting down CoH. You lost potential future and current customers because of it - but that is another story and thread).
  • MasoniclightMasoniclight Couer d''Alene, WIPosts: 87Member
    I have run all over the world with my 5 totally different races/classes created characters and at times, I want to do stuff alone (as anyone else) and at times I want to roam the land with others (I am part of a guild)... but what I find is that no matter what, if say an event spawns nearme, I usually jump right in. I do everything I can to either bring the enemy down or help the group gathered there. I will kneel to help rez someone fallen even in the middle of battle.. I get responses, I get people thinking that its pretty cool that I do it. So it is apparent to me that you, the player, makes this game as interactive and social (or not) as possible. It takes the person to engage others and they choose to repsond or not.. I suspect however that the more active you are doing things and helping others and such, that you will get more folks to talking and to teaming.  Just my .02

    image

  • WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member

    I think I need to clarify what socializing is because most of you evidently have not a clue. Back in some older MMO's (UO, Asheron's Call 2 comes to mind. EQ1) The games were a bit slower paced and required you to comunicate with your fellow players to sometimes accomplish a tough encounter or quest. I don't call VENT socializing. I hate vent it completly shatters game immersion. Call me old school because that's what I am I guess. I occasionally like to dabble in Role playing when I'm in the mood. That def ain't happening in GW2. Participating in a Dynamic event with other players next to you helping might be a type of group but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it when no one ever speaks unless I force them to talk and usually get insulted for speaking or completly ignored. I'm sorry but for me this doesn't qualify as social communication and while I might be technically in a group it sure doesn't feel like it. Havent done a dungeon yet maybe I will like that better.

    Don't get me wrong I like the game so far for what it is but time will tell if I make it to 80. It really feels like a single player game for the most part but the story elements are kind neat. Hope there is variation later on in the game I'm only lvl 15. From what I have seen so far I'm kinda thinking repetitive content?

    Oh and I definetly need to join a guild ASAP. Any recruiting? I'm on Anvil Rock!

  • WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member
    Originally posted by reef22

    I think GW 2 did a great job with grouping.  Many times I would fight a boss and all of sudden I looked around and realized that there were at least 15 or 20 people around me.  There was a unity there during the fight and I like that.  Although a lot of times, people just ran off to other places after the fight.  I always stay behind just to see if anyone talks but a lot of them don't.  And it's hard for me to make the first step of talking when people already running off.

    So it really depends on the players not the game design.  The game can't make people talk and you can't get rid of the auto-grouping either.   Would you rather spend hours in chat looking for group so you can talk to people for like 10-20 minutes?  Or would you get auto-grouping so you can keep playing the game?   It's a double edged sword and you can't have both.  All we can do is try to start the first conversation and hoping other players would stay and chat a bit.

    That being said, I don't want any new or potential players to think that there is no community in game.  The map chat or zone chat is very lively.  People talks, ask and answer questions in the chat all the time and they are all pretty friendly and polite.

     I'm sorry but some games can make people talk. Try EvE Online for one. And lack of talking can def be game design and not just people. BTW Are there mobs out there in the world other than in dungeons that do require a group to take down? I'm not refering to DE's here. I'm def hoping there is. And yes there is MAP chat. Barrens chat? I mean the game is so easy to play and fig out stuff there not much reason to ask questions pertaining to how to play the game. So mainly MAP chat is just chatter. I def need a guild...

  • jinxxed0jinxxed0 columbia, SCPosts: 838Member

    I agree with you OP. Anyone that calls GW2 anything but a single player MMO, are likely still "new" to MMOs and likely never got to play any decent social MMOs (when I say new, I'm talking anyone that never played an MMO before WoW came out). They just don't understand that running around doing things while other people are running around doing things is NOT GROUP PLAYING. How delusional are you guys?

     

    For the past few days I've been trying to team people via map chat and regular chat when I saw people. 95% of the time I was ignored. The other 5% of the time I was just laughed at. GW2 has a really crappy community right now. Join a guild you say? You mean one of the guilds that constantly spam you with invites and have a ton of random people in them who never talk to each other? Or do you mean one of the stuck up guilds that wont invite anyone except close friends or people that can give them something? Because I'd rather have a few friends than an army of strangers. It feels like everyone playing this game on a regular basis just love playing by themselves because those are the MMOs they're used to. They're not familar with the MMOs that required you to actually make friends and actually form guilds that way.

     

    I wish there were more people like the OP in GW2 but my guess is people like us are stretched too thin accross the servers while all the solo players are everywhere. They seriously need to make a server for those of us who actually want to team up.

  • WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member
    Oh and crafting. This game has the most lame crafting system I have ever seen also. Crafting should require some mats produced by other player crafts to complete recipes. They really screed up a great social activity by having single player crafting with no interaction with other crafters and nothing worth crafting anyways to support a decent player run economy at all or so I have heard.
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Calgary, ABPosts: 2,156Member


    Originally posted by Ghost12

    GW2 is in direct competition with SWTOR for on rails gameplay. I cant decide which game is more linear, haha.

    WHAT?? Are you even playing the game? GW2 isn't even on rails at all nor is it linear, I've been all over the place and still haven't discovered half the game yet. On rails my ass.

    image
    image

  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    Originally posted by Wrender

    I think I need to clarify what socializing is because most of you evidently have not a clue. Back in some older MMO's (UO, Asheron's Call 2 comes to mind. EQ1) The games were a bit slower paced and required you to comunicate with your fellow players to sometimes accomplish a tough encounter or quest. I don't call VENT socializing. I hate vent it completly shatters game immersion. Call me old school because that's what I am I guess. I occasionally like to dabble in Role playing when I'm in the mood. That def ain't happening in GW2. Participating in a Dynamic event with other players next to you helping might be a type of group but it sure as hell doesn't feel like it when no one ever speaks unless I force them to talk and usually get insulted for speaking or completly ignored. I'm sorry but for me this doesn't qualify as social communication and while I might be technically in a group it sure doesn't feel like it. Havent done a dungeon yet maybe I will like that better.

    Don't get me wrong I like the game so far for what it is but time will tell if I make it to 80. It really feels like a single player game for the most part but the story elements are kind neat. Hope there is variation later on in the game I'm only lvl 15. From what I have seen so far I'm kinda thinking repetitive content?

    Oh and I definetly need to join a guild ASAP. Any recruiting? I'm on Anvil Rock!

    and you feel right. i m in a 130 members guild and almost never playing together, except wvw. every1 is doing things alone despite the gm orders to make guild groups in order to benefit the guild more. no one feels that is playing a social mmo. some or many may like the game, but none feels he must do things together in order to play it.

  • WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

    I agree with you OP. Anyone that calls GW2 anything but a single player MMO, are likely still "new" to MMOs and likely never got to play any decent social MMOs (when I say new, I'm talking anyone that never played an MMO before WoW came out). They just don't understand that running around doing things while other people are running around doing things is NOT GROUP PLAYING. How delusional are you guys?

     

    For the past few days I've been trying to team people via map chat and regular chat when I saw people. 95% of the time I was ignored. The other 5% of the time I was just laughed at. GW2 has a really crappy community right now. Join a guild you say? You mean one of the guilds that constantly spam you with invites and have a ton of random people in them who never talk to each other? Or do you mean one of the stuck up guilds that wont invite anyone except close friends or people that can give them something? Because I'd rather have a few friends than an army of strangers. It feels like everyone playing this game on a regular basis just love playing by themselves because those are the MMOs they're used to. They're not familar with the MMOs that required you to actually make friends and actually form guilds that way.

     

    I wish there were more people like the OP in GW2 but my guess is people like us are stretched too thin accross the servers while all the solo players are everywhere. They seriously need to make a server for those of us who actually want to team up.

     Well spoken Jinx. We are indeed a rare breed these days. Most people I know think I'm too old to be playing computer games anyways. Ahh well there is always EvE online, pretty decent community actually and definetly requires player interaction but I can only play EVE like 1 month at a time before cancelling. The game is just to time consuming and mind boggling for longer than a month at a time. But I do have a 1994 char in eve with bout 50 billion SP

  • WrenderWrender Conway, ARPosts: 1,386Member
    So guilds are pretty much worthless as well then? Sorry to hear that but was to be expected. Sad really.
  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    Originally posted by jinxxed0

    I agree with you OP. Anyone that calls GW2 anything but a single player MMO, are likely still "new" to MMOs and likely never got to play any decent social MMOs (when I say new, I'm talking anyone that never played an MMO before WoW came out). They just don't understand that running around doing things while other people are running around doing things is NOT GROUP PLAYING. How delusional are you guys?

     

    For the past few days I've been trying to team people via map chat and regular chat when I saw people. 95% of the time I was ignored. The other 5% of the time I was just laughed at. GW2 has a really crappy community right now. Join a guild you say? You mean one of the guilds that constantly spam you with invites and have a ton of random people in them who never talk to each other? Or do you mean one of the stuck up guilds that wont invite anyone except close friends or people that can give them something? Because I'd rather have a few friends than an army of strangers. It feels like everyone playing this game on a regular basis just love playing by themselves because those are the MMOs they're used to. They're not familar with the MMOs that required you to actually make friends and actually form guilds that way.

     

    I wish there were more people like the OP in GW2 but my guess is people like us are stretched too thin accross the servers while all the solo players are everywhere. They seriously need to make a server for those of us who actually want to team up.

    very well said and very true. those games and communities are dead anymore. thats why we buy every new mmo but...anyway this is how it is today. meh...

  • JessXIIIJessXIII Chicago, ILPosts: 22Member
    I like not having to socialize. I love mmos and singleplayer games never seem to have the content I like that mmos do. WHen I socialize in a mmo I feel fake and not myself. It's better to just play. That's the only reason I play games. I have a bunch of friends offline and a life. I don't play games or mmos to socalize, just to kill things. 
  • darkrain21darkrain21 philadelphia, PAPosts: 274Member
    I would have to agree with the OP here. Im in a very large guild and we are very active with pve,wvw and professional SPVP players, but in my guilds lul time i find that im very alone, and frankly quite bored. I can say that in Anets attempt to group everything they have pretty much cut out any need to comunicate. The most communication that is needed is yelling in /M that an event has started and everyone just goes over and it becomes a tank and spank except for the dragons and even those no one cordnates or communicates its utter silence, dragon dies people get loot they dont want they announce the loot they dont want and then they leave. But I can easly say that even tho they have made it open world it fills just as empty as a adventure zone in the first Guild Wars.
  • XzenXzen Los Alamos, NMPosts: 2,607Member Common
  • JonnyBigBossJonnyBigBoss Murrieta, CAPosts: 699Member
    Strange.. I feel like its the most social outside of FFXIV.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Phoenix, AZPosts: 2,660Member Uncommon

    This is amusing. So  people's inability / lack of desire to socialize with eachother and group up = game design problem?

    Reality is most people really dont care what you have to say. That doesnt apply to just MMOS, but all aspects of life. If you want people to socialize with, youre going to need to find a niche of people you get along with, just like IRL.

    BTW, like it or not, Vent / TS IS socializing. It doesnt matter if you like it or not. You cant simply say "I dont like it, so it doesnt count". Many people prefer Vent because when youre running around fighting stuff its much easier to talk than to stop type constantly. If it makes you feel better, you could just go to a chat room and socialize, or hell even Facebook. Thats what theyre there for.

  • LorkiiLorkii Vancouver, BCPosts: 88Member
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

    This is amusing. So  people's inability / lack of desire to socialize with eachother and group up = game design problem?

    Reality is most people really dont care what you have to say. That doesnt apply to just MMOS, but all aspects of life. If you want people to socialize with, youre going to need to find a niche of people you get along with, just like IRL.

    BTW, like it or not, Vent / TS IS socializing. It doesnt matter if you like it or not. You cant simply say "I dont like it, so it doesnt count". Many people prefer Vent because when youre running around fighting stuff its much easier to talk than to stop type constantly. If it makes you feel better, you could just go to a chat room and socialize, or hell even Facebook. Thats what theyre there for.

    Actually yes it is a design problem, when the game is designed for you not to have to group to get things done, just be with people, isn t grouping. As others have said, most, not all, don t even give a shit if you re there. This does not = grouping. It is easily the most unsocial so called MMO experience I ve ever encountered. It may as well have been instanced like GW1, where at least my heroes felt more like a group, and hell said more then most people.

  • Cod_EyeCod_Eye jarrowPosts: 1,016Member
    Originally posted by Wrender

    C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

     I feel like I am playing a solo game.

    I havent played a solo rpg in like 10 yrs and this aspect of GW2 is driving me absolutly crazy. I play MMO's to interact and overcome challenges with like minded players I meet in game.

    I left TERA for this?

    I like the games asthetics and artwork but this lack of any social interaction is killing me and I see myself going back to TERA pretty soon now.

    There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

    Is this what our society has become? Anti social freAKS THAT ARE HATING ON EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET? iT'S BAD ENOUGH driving around in my car and observing how pissed off about 90% of everyone I meet is but it should be different in an mmo game where everyone is expected to have fun in an online game.

    ANyone else feel this way.

    I am not in a guild yet so hopefully when and if I get in one this will change or it will sadly be uninstalled and sold to a friend.

    I agree with you to some extent, even guilds are not social, so dont build your hopes up when you do join one, I've been in 3 guilds and none of them conversed in any shape or form.  Most guilds only want you in the guild so that the guild owner gets influence for the guild.  There is an option to join various guilds but if you do, then you start getting threatening messages from leaders that if you don't represent then they will remove you from their roster.  Most problems stem from that the guilds are normally formed with a few friends and they start inviting people just for the guild benefits like influence, the guild creator and his/her friends dont have any interest in its members outside of their circle.  Kaeyi Dream spat her dummy out on twitter not long ago because she wanted every member to donate gold to her to have commander and the members didnt agree with this, but I believe she got her way. 

     

     

Sign In or Register to comment.