Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High population Servers coming to SWTOR

Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

In order to provide a better overall gameplay experience we’re getting ready to introduce new high population server tech that will allow us to significantly increase current server populations. Once we introduce new high population server tech, any characters remaining on an origin server will be moved to a high population destination server.

The first step in this process is opening up a new, temporary Public Test Server for testing. In order for us to successfully test this new tech, we need your help. To facilitate your participation we have copied all characters from our East Coast servers to this temporary Public Test Server. If you have any characters on an East Coast server, you can now log in to this special Public Test Server, find your copied characters, and begin testing this important feature today, September 13th.

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/%5Bnews-category%5D/20120913

I was testing this server and all my 18 characters were transferd (3 pages of characters). It seems that there will be limit of 12 characters per server, but I could log to all 18, so the ability to have more than that is there. I guess we will be able to buy character slots in cash shop :)

So far I do not see much difference. Had steady 60 FPS on all planets and fleet. But there are not many players there.

I would encourage everybody who plays SWTOR to check it out.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

Comments

• RamanadjinnRamanadjinn Member UncommonPosts: 1,365

isn't this just a strange way to spin the phrase "we're closing down some servers."

or am i wrong?  i would have thought their population would be growing with the free to play stuff.

• erikk3189erikk3189 Member Posts: 306

Server population won't solve the problems in this game.  Maybe getting rid of the majority of the current BioWare staff may help.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    This is Electronic Arts' way of saying they're merging servers, yes.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

They are moving all the closed origin servers to one HPS. And they will copy all destination servers to new HPS.

So there is nothing out of ordinary here. You could not create new characters on origin servers anyway, they were locked. Unless you have characters there.

Also the new limit of characters on HPS is 12 and all character transferred from origin servers to HPS will be playable even if you have 20 or more. I have 18 and I could play every one of them.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA
    This is Electronic Arts' way of saying they're merging servers, yes.

Merging the origin servers yes, but they were already subject of transfers.

Pretty good move imho.

They are preparing for F2P. Simple and easy.

Edit. They were talking about High Polulation Trasfers long time ago.

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I'm highly skeptical of this "new server tech".

For one, if this is such a ground breaking advance in technology, why is there absolutely no documentation or explanation of its implementation?

The cynic in me believes this is just a ploy to disguise population loss.

Currently there are 2 standard North American sefvers, and 10 light. 11 light European servers; and 1 light Asia-Pacific server and 2 dead servers.

http://www.torstatus.net/

The population hasn't shown much in the way of stabilization, and this is pre-MoP.

Not to mention the fact that they already have pre-exsisting infrastructure to accomadate 3-5 million additional players already in place. (The origin servers) Why abandon something already invested in to pour money into additional (and untried) technology?

Remember, one always has to remember that SWTOR is an EA title which they want to shift investor focus away from.

By going Free to Play, they no longer have to report subscriptions.

By introducing "New Mega Super Ultra High Population Servers", any type of negative quantification of server population can be explained away with the "limitless cap super servers"; which I am sure will be backed up by "anecdotal" evidence by die-hard (possible shills) on the SWTOR forums. This has already been evidenced by quickly deleted threads on SWTOR's forums in regard to the Asia-Pacific servers. Some post that they want mergers since fleet population is down to 40-70, only to be drowned out by several posters claiming the population is fine and 200+.

http://www.torstatus.net/shards/apac/trends

Call me a cynic, but I believe this is a brazen attempt to further disguise SWTOR's current and future population numbers as EA attempts to draw focus away from the game's performance. In essence, like sand people walking single file to disguise their numbers if you would like a Star Wars reference.

I believe the Mega-Server moniker is creative, but just spin to hide the fact that EA isn't really excited about the boundless oppurtunities of Freemium, but putting SWTOR into swan song maintenance mode.

Of course I could be happily surprised by being wrong, but I wouldn't expect the new Super-sized uber server to have a total  logged in poopulation count displayed a la Eve-Online.

***edited Asia-Pacific server bit to reflect that there are now 2 dead servers, not 1***

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

"Give me a meh!" "Meh!"

"Give me a meh!" "Meh!"

"Give me a meh!" "Meh!"

"What's that spell?"

"Meh!"

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

So copying all dead accounts from origin servers to destination servers is now called "High population server".

Irony is - they dont need high population servers unless they  merge all existing serevrs to 1 of each type for each region ;P

• skydiver12skydiver12 Member Posts: 432

Masquerade server merges + force people to buy more character slots once F2pay happens, because now there are more characters per server.

EAWare: ka-ching!

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

There was an interview by one of the lead designers that they don't have more 'companion story' in the near future.

Which shutdowns on any hope further story progression.

That's just sad. :(

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Even Trion had to play PR games with their server merges.  There's an unavoidable stigma attached to them and so you can't really blame them for trying to spin it less negatively.
  • mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Even Trion had to play PR games with their server merges.  There's an unavoidable stigma attached to them and so you can't really blame them for trying to spin it less negatively.

To people who think for themselves PR means nothing.

Hmmm, how come PR got such an success and escalation lately?

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    I wonder if they'll be using Guild Wars 2's crappy "tech" of manking people invisible in crowded areas?
  • theniffrigtheniffrig Member UncommonPosts: 351

I really doubt the majority of people quit this game because of population issues or because of it's subscription fee. There are many other problems this game had since launch that caused the massive leak of the initial playerbase the game had in the 1st & 2nd month of its release. So far I havn't read anything that Bioware has stated to address these fundamental problems with the game. Therefore, I can only presume that like me, most people won't even play this game when it goes free. Or most likely, the population will spike for afew weeks when it goes F2P only to die back down once people have seen that nothing has changed except now they have to pay the cash shop for alot of features.

-Conan/Warhammer/StarTrek/StarWars/D&D/LOTR- All massive I.P's the deserve to have huge MMO playerbases but have been totally misshandled by developers for many different & many similar reasons. It really is a sad state of affairs that this is the reality of the situation.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Oh. Another server merge ? Game is going down fast.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Sentime
    I wonder if they'll be using Guild Wars 2's crappy "tech" of manking people invisible in crowded areas?

What are you talking about ? If area in GW2 is overcrowded, people go to overflow server. Nothing is invisible. 

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

isn't this just a strange way to spin the phrase "we're closing down some servers."

or am i wrong?  i would have thought their population would be growing with the free to play stuff.

It is still the right way to go. TOR needs to feel less like a singleplayer game and larger servers is a step in the right decision.

Sure, EA might be behind it in a way to save money by closing more servers but that dosnt matter since this is a good thing for the players no matter why they do it.

Originally posted by dariuszp
    Originally posted by Sentime

What are you talking about ? If area in GW2 is overcrowded, people go to overflow server. Nothing is invisible. 

Gw2 can sometimes close off effects and stuff far away if the server is totally full. This is really just a WvWvW problem there though so it have nothing to do with TOR.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Yeah, it is Blizzards fault who cintinues talked about it being a sign of a dying game. Now they themselves fiddle with stuff like cross server dungeons and shared zones to not do what they need to do themselves.

It is rather bad, MMOs should easily and without stigma be able to close and open servers to maximize fun gameplay. Low pop servers just suck in any game.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

So, ALL origin servers will be shut down, and EVERYONE will have to transfer to these new High Pop servers? EVERYONE will be subject to a possible name change?

I only have charcters on a locked origin server, as the destination server already has 8 characters, and no choice to transfer to another server. I would have thought they would have given more choice to transfer to other servers after the initial rush died off, but no, just stuck on a dead server this whole time. The whole transfer process has been dumb.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

There could well be elements of what people have posted above in this development. However I suspect it is related to the forthcoming move to F2P.

EA are in a bind.

On the one hand they need to reduce servers in order to reduce costs and consolidate population in order to avoid the dead server feeling.

On the other hand they are going F2P and hope to have armies of people logging on and spending money in the cash shop. And that will need lots of server capacity. Lots and lots of server capacity.

With a subscription based game you can tell people sorry the server is down, or you are number 10,000 in a queue. With a F2P game - not only might the potential customer go elsewhere but if they are not logged on they can't spend any money! It is worse than that though:

• Assumption 1: a F2P customer will spend a maximum of $15/month in the cash shop.
    • Assumption 2: Zynga's metric that most of their money from only c. 5% of their F2P customers holds - so EA will need c. 20 players to get the same revenue as 1 subscriber. These are the people who spend money month after month. Lots of people may spend a little bit in the first few weeks.
    • EA's own assumption (stated in their last results) - that they will get the same amount of revenue from subscribers as from F2P folk proves to be true.

If they still need "500k subs" to break even today - and I am sure that costs have been cut - then the above assumptions would mean that EA have to cater for 250k subscribers and 5M F2P folk! Even if they have reduced their costs by 50% they still need to cater for 125k subs and 2.5M F2P folk.

I suspect that they have decided to ignore Zynga's data and assume that everyone spemd some money every month. Say they have assumed $5, then they would only need 125k subs and 375k F2P to get the equivalent (i.e. costs halved, same as 250k subs). 500k subs.

All of which says that EA need to have server technology that they can expand and reduce easily. In other words they are having to invest in the type of servers they should have had on day 1! (Several companies do BigWorld type tech but basically servers are allocated to areas and the size of the area adjusted based on the population in the area).

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Or you know they might have got through the initial database bottlenecks that dictated the population that a server could take and have found a means to support 10000s to one server.

As they already use instances the only thing holding them back was the way the database would operate with such numbers.

It is more likely that they are just consolidating the jaded vets who would ruin a new users experience then pop new servers up for the F2P crowd.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

IMO the the likely possibilities are in order....

1) They are doing something similar to EVE or DCUO which if they are I hope they found someone to fix the performance issues. If not then the train wreck we’ve all been watching for so long will now become biblical.

2) More spin for declining subscriptions. They said before the server consolidations that they were looking into super servers. How many Biodrones used that statement to explain away the merges? We all seen them do it. “Population is still around a million because they are now super servers!” Oh jezz, /facepalm Biodrones, looks like population really did drop that much.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    For a moment I thought someone had necroed an old thread from a few months ago.  Can't believe they still haven't implemented this. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62
    Let's call it whatever we can call it to get people to play ...but did they actually changed something? not if it cost money.