Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I've spent over $1,000 on EVE Online. I spent $60 on Guild Wars 2. EVE Online is a better value th

Comments

• ArdwulfArdwulf Member UncommonPosts: 283
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

While it is possible to pay an initial fee for EVE, no it is not required.  A trial account, which they actually offer, can be upgraded to full simply by subscribing.

With a $5 account setup fee. I think CCP waives this from time to time.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by stayBlind

Whine Whine.

Boo hoo.

Talk Talk.

Now that you've put part of your signature into this thread, would you care to explain its bearing on the discussion at hand?  Or are those descriptive of how you feel at the moment?  I'm really not sure due to the lack of explanation following those three phrases.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Many MMORPGs offer a free trial period.  This is often a two week timeframe in which you can try the game at no cost to you.  Guild Wars 2 does not offer this.  The lasting appeal of the game Guild Wars 2 lasted for me about the same duration as the trial period other MMORPGs offer, but at an additional $60 cost.  Despite the lack of a subscription fee in Guild Wars 2, there weren't enough reasons for me to keep playing.  Thus I spent $60 dollars on a game I no longer play.

With EVE Online, I've spent over 5,850 hours playing the game.  This came with a subscription fee, but included all expansions, and did not require an initial fee.  They also offer a free trial period.  It may seem like I spent a large amount of money on this game, however, by comparison to Guild Wars 2, the cost per hour of entertainment is by far better in EVE due to its lasting appeal among other great reasons for me to play.  Also, compared to other forms of entertainment, this is extremely inexpensive.  The same amount of time spent, watching $1 2 hour movies, would have cost nearly triple.

In summary, I would have unsubscribed to Guild Wars 2 during the free trial, if it had one.  Unfortunately it didn't, and thus the $60 spent were wasteful in terms of the cost per hour of entertainment gained as compared to EVE Online.  For other people the value might be a bit better in Guild Wars 2 than my experience, so long as they enjoy the things Arenanet said they didn't want, such as grinding, and non-permanent events, which the game is full of.

Uh, no. Just released MMOs never have a free trial, they always add that later.

GW1 have a free trial, but if you must buy the game on launchday there is only one person to blame: You.

Dont we have this discussion whenever a new game releases?

Originally posted by Ardwulf

While it is possible to pay an initial fee for EVE, no it is not required.  A trial account, which they actually offer, can be upgraded to full simply by subscribing.

With a $5 account setup fee. I think CCP waives this from time to time.

Subscribing includes using a PLEX.  Using a PLEX on a trial account has never charged you $5 for doing so.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Don't worry guys. GW 2 will have a free trial. Fact.

They are waiting for the WvWvW to die first.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• MarkuthMarkuth Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Markuth
    I have to ask, when did Eve Online start offer free trails after release?

not for a few years i think...  theres no reason to believe that GW2 won't do the same thing in a few years time, or they might not..  with the numbers currently playing and the queues to enter W v W pvp, they would be daft to extend free trials to players and increase the disruption..image

Given that your statement is true, then I assume that CCP did not release any details of a free trail let's say 1-3 months before offering it.

If the statement and assumption is true, then the OP is either a troll, or just clueless.

Originally posted by HeroEvermore

Don't worry guys. GW 2 will have a free trial. Fact.

They are waiting for the WvWvW to die first.

Again, please link where Arenanet stated this.  Otherwise you could be making it up.  Fact.

not for a few years i think...  theres no reason to believe that GW2 won't do the same thing in a few years time, or they might not..  with the numbers currently playing and the queues to enter W v W pvp, they would be daft to extend free trials to players and increase the disruption..image

Given that your statement is true, then I assume that CCP did not release any details of a free trail let's say 1-3 months before offering it.

If the statement and assumption is true, then the OP is either a troll, or just clueless.

Or I wasn't comparing the two at release, instead, I was comparing my experience of the two and their value to me :) 

• MarkuthMarkuth Member UncommonPosts: 13

Or I wasn't comparing the two at release, instead, I was comparing my experience of the two and their value to me :) 

Then I would say that you should of waited for GW2's free trail, and not jump on the bandwagon. You have only yourself to blame.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there were other fantasy themeparks I played more than GW2.  Just because I enjoy one type of game doesn't mean I can't enjoy another.  This was just a specific example.  I don't categorically dislike fantasy themeparks.

Also, my comparison was the value of the two in terms of my money spent and the amount of time spent enjoying the games.  Unless what you meant by apples and oranges is that GW2 has no enjoyment in it, I think my points stand.

No it doesn't.

Value for money and enjoyment is directly correlated to ones personal perspective and interests.

If you don't like GW2 types of game, chances are you won't think it is worth the money. It is like saying if you don't like Michael Jackson chances are you won't think his CDs are any good.

Unless are you saying that they contents that you get for your cash is not substantial enough for $60 of value? Because if you are that is even more absurd considering that you get even less for most single player games or other things. The contents offered by SWTOR or WoW at launch was even less and they charged even more.

A piece of construction wooden beam costs more than an iPad easily. Is that to say the wooden beam is not worth the money? It might not worth anything to you but it sure as hell worth a lot to someone building a house.

It is all good to see things like a little kid and all where everything is one-dimensional, but we all got to grow up sometime and face the real world.

• InfearealInfeareal Member UncommonPosts: 111

Why should he/she/they need to provide a link to factual information. 90% of the stuff you brought up in the OP is either opinion, circumstantal or unsubstantiiated. You could totally be making it all up. Fact.

lol this game is fun

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there were other fantasy themeparks I played more than GW2.  Just because I enjoy one type of game doesn't mean I can't enjoy another.  This was just a specific example.  I don't categorically dislike fantasy themeparks.

Also, my comparison was the value of the two in terms of my money spent and the amount of time spent enjoying the games.  Unless what you meant by apples and oranges is that GW2 has no enjoyment in it, I think my points stand.

No it doesn't.

Value for money and enjoyment is directly correlated to ones personal perspective and interests.

If you don't like GW2 types of game, chances are you won't think it is worth the money. It is like saying if you don't like Michael Jackson chances are you won't think his CDs are any good.

Unless are you saying that they contents that you get for your cash is not substantial enough for $60 of value? Because if you are that is even more absurd considering that you can even less for most single player games or other things.

A piece of construction wooden beam costs more than an iPad easily. Is that to say the wooden beam is not worth the money? It might not worth anything to you but it sure as hell worth a lot to someone building a house.

It is all good to see things like a littlekid at all where everything is one-dimensional, but we all got to grow up sometime and face the real world.

As I mentioned in this thread, and even in the post of mine you quoted, there have been same genre games as GW2 that I liked.

At no point did I say that this is how it is for everyone.  I did include the words "to me" in the thread title even.

Just because other $60 games may offer less content, doesn't mean I am satisfied with GW2.  To put it another way, it is as if you are saying sticking my hand in a fire isn't hot, because the surface of the sun is higher in temperature.

Originally posted by Infeareal

Why should he/she/they need to provide a link to factual information. 90% of the stuff you brought up in the OP is either opinion, circumstantal or unsubstantiiated. You could totally be making it all up. Fact.

lol this game is fun

He should provide a link because they are claiming it as fact without backing it up with any evidence other than slapping the word "fact" after what they write.

In my case, I was stating how I feel about the value of the two games as I see it.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Many MMORPGs offer a free trial period.  This is often a two week timeframe in which you can try the game at no cost to you.  Guild Wars 2 does not offer this.  The lasting appeal of the game Guild Wars 2 lasted for me about the same duration as the trial period other MMORPGs offer, but at an additional $60 cost.  Despite the lack of a subscription fee in Guild Wars 2, there weren't enough reasons for me to keep playing.  Thus I spent $60 dollars on a game I no longer play.

With EVE Online, I've spent over 5,850 hours playing the game.  This came with a subscription fee, but included all expansions, and did not require an initial fee.  They also offer a free trial period.  It may seem like I spent a large amount of money on this game, however, by comparison to Guild Wars 2, the cost per hour of entertainment is by far better in EVE due to its lasting appeal among other great reasons for me to play.  Also, compared to other forms of entertainment, this is extremely inexpensive.  The same amount of time spent, watching $1 2 hour movies, would have cost nearly triple.

In summary, I would have unsubscribed to Guild Wars 2 during the free trial, if it had one.  Unfortunately it didn't, and thus the $60 spent were wasteful in terms of the cost per hour of entertainment gained as compared to EVE Online.  For other people the value might be a bit better in Guild Wars 2 than my experience, so long as they enjoy the things Arenanet said they didn't want, such as grinding, and non-permanent events, which the game is full of.

Good for you.  Ive spent $60 for the game, $20 for Eyes of the north to unlock my HOM, and $50 x 2 in the gem shop for dyes, gold, and full bank & bag unlocks and I couldnt be any happier.

You like Eve, thats great!  I personallyt think the game sucks and was one of my fastest uninstalls ever (under 3 mins played).  If I want to play a meaningful sandbox I'll pick up Fallen Earth or Asherons Call again but GW2 has all the sandboxxy elements I love (exploration, multiple ways to gear and advance) about the sub-genre and none of the things I do. (FFA PvP, full loot and no content)

playing Eve is like playing MS Excel, and I get enough of spreadsheets at work and to top it off you dont even play an Avatar, you play a ship.  BORING!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Originally posted by Zylaxx

Good for you.  Ive spent $60 for the game, $20 for Eyes of the north to unlock my HOM, and $50 x 2 in the gem shop for dyes, gold, and full bank & bag unlocks and I couldnt be any happier.

You like Eve, thats great!  I personallyt think the game sucks and was one of my fastest uninstalls ever (under 3 mins played).  If I want to play a meaningful sandbox I'll pick up Fallen Earth or Asherons Call again but GW2 has all the sandboxxy elements I love (exploration, multiple ways to gear and advance) about the sub-genre and none of the things I do. (FFA PvP, full loot and no content)

playing Eve is like playing MS Excel, and I get enough of spreadsheets at work and to top it off you dont even play an Avatar, you play a ship.  BORING!

Glad to hear the free trial of EVE, which you tried for three minutes as you say, didn't cost you anything.  Imagine how you'd feel had you spent 60 dollars on a game and played for the same three minutes and found it boring.  :)

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

As I mentioned in this thread, and even in the post of mine you quoted, there have been same genre games as GW2 that I liked.

At no point did I say that this is how it is for everyone.  I did include the words "to me" in the thread title even.

Just because other $60 games may offer less content, doesn't mean I am satisfied with GW2. 

To put it another way, it is as if you are saying sticking my hand in a fire isn't hot, because the surface of the sun is higher in temperature.

You kinda only mentioned "to me" after your entire arguement was taken apart by everyone.

You were making a broad based generalization of "no enjoyment" and "no value" and "not worth he money", which I can easily quote from any of the your post above, but no point because it was plain for anyone to see and they are all there.

"To put it another way, it is as if you are saying sticking my hand in a fire isn't hot, because the surface of the sun is higher in temperature."

Just because I use analogy, doesn't mean you ahve to use them to counter my argument because frankly your one makes no sense and it doesn't even fit the meaning of what you were trying to say.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Many MMORPGs offer a free trial period.  This is often a two week timeframe in which you can try the game at no cost to you.  Guild Wars 2 does not offer this.  The lasting appeal of the game Guild Wars 2 lasted for me about the same duration as the trial period other MMORPGs offer, but at an additional $60 cost.  Despite the lack of a subscription fee in Guild Wars 2, there weren't enough reasons for me to keep playing.  Thus I spent $60 dollars on a game I no longer play. With EVE Online, I've spent over 5,850 hours playing the game.  This came with a subscription fee, but included all expansions, and did not require an initial fee.  They also offer a free trial period.  It may seem like I spent a large amount of money on this game, however, by comparison to Guild Wars 2, the cost per hour of entertainment is by far better in EVE due to its lasting appeal among other great reasons for me to play.  Also, compared to other forms of entertainment, this is extremely inexpensive.  The same amount of time spent, watching $1 2 hour movies, would have cost nearly triple. In summary, I would have unsubscribed to Guild Wars 2 during the free trial, if it had one.  Unfortunately it didn't, and thus the $60 spent were wasteful in terms of the cost per hour of entertainment gained as compared to EVE Online.  For other people the value might be a bit better in Guild Wars 2 than my experience, so long as they enjoy the things Arenanet said they didn't want, such as grinding, and non-permanent events, which the game is full of.

Glad to hear the free trial of EVE, which you tried for three minutes as you say, didn't cost you anything.  Imagine how you'd feel had you spent 60 dollars on a game and played for the same three minutes and found it boring.  :)

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

The fact that people have to grasp at straws to bash GW2 serves only to prove how good it is.

On another note, BREAKING NEWS! A new MMO with flooded servers and huge box sales doesn't offer a free trial in its first month! Outrageous!

Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG

Just because other $60 games may offer less content, doesn't mean I am satisfied with GW2. 

To put it another way, it is as if you are saying sticking my hand in a fire isn't hot, because the surface of the sun is higher in temperature.

You kinda only mentioned "to me" after your entire arguement was taken apart by everyone.

You were making a broad based generalization of "no enjoyment" and "no value" and "not worth he money", which I can easily quote from any of the your post above, but no point because it was plain for anyone to see and they are all there.

"To put it another way, it is as if you are saying sticking my hand in a fire isn't hot, because the surface of the sun is higher in temperature."

Just because I use analogy, doesn't mean you ahve to use them to counter my argument because frankly your one makes no sense and it doesn't even fit the meaning of what you were trying to say.

I only mentioned "to me" because people didn't read it in the title of the thread they were posting in.  Pretty silly, that.  :)

Also I think my analagy is the same as the one you used, just with different words.  I feel that a game can be a low value even if others are less value.  This differs from what you said.

• MetsisMetsis Member Posts: 66

Why is this a discussion? I don't get it.

New games never ever tell people in advance that "we will have free trial in a few months" due to the fact that they wish to make as much money off the initial launch box sales... Of course they are not going to shoot themselves on the foot by telling you can try our game free in a little while. This is just a business fact on any MMO game. Fact is that most MMO games will have free trials at some point. Be it in a few months or a year or over that, it will most likely have a free trial.

Now, let's talk about the meaning of a free trial... You have a free trial to let the player get consumed into the game and want him/her to play more. The difference here is that GW2 is B2P and Eve (as in many other MMOs) are P2P... With the B2P model, you are basically getting cash from the "average joe" player only from the box sales. Thus the price for the box is quite unlikely to come down very quickly and which is the reason why any sort of free trial is likely to come later rather than sooner. With the P2P model you get a continual income from the player base from the subs. Thus the box sales are not as important. If you can get a person to play for 6 months you've already made more than from any box sales. And the fact that people feel like they "didn't pay that much for it" makes them more likely to sub than if they already poured the 60 bucks into the game already.

There is a big difference within the payment models. Thus the 60 bucks for the Guild Wars 2 is basically all you ever have to pay for that game. Even with some expansions coming, you can always play the normal version... Even if you don't like it now after 2 weeks, you can always come back and give it a new spin after maybe some updates or to just give it another go. It is basically the same as any single player game out there...

If you try EvE or any other P2P game... You have the trial, if you don't like it you leave and after a while you'd like to try it again (I do this from time to time, or would like to do) you have to create another account for yourself since the first ones trial is already used. I've played EvE, it is fun for a while for me, but the lack of "online progress" isn't fun. Basically the game is at start about just plain and simple "making money" with little character progression to be seen. There should be some sort of a reward on the skill advancements for playing (something that ticks off the skill advancements quicker when you play the game)... Just in my opinion.

I have to hand it to CCP, they do come at me with those "come back and try the game again for xx days for free" which is very nice of them... If I feel like it, I might activate my account again for a set period of time...

But the bottom line is, ArenaNet makes the money off the box sales... P2P games makes their money off the monthly subs... These two income models are totally different and if ArenaNet was to have a free trial at launch, they would lose too much income and would have to shut down their operations pretty much immediatly.

I'm liking GW2 quite a bit now... I haven't done much "research" into the game as I like to learn as I go and new things are always around the corner to be discovered. I'm sure it will get old at some point, but it is not now, not for me. And for the record, I didn't like GW1 that much...

[/rant][/wall of text]

• SarbocabrasSarbocabras Member Posts: 257

@OP

PROBLEM: You're comparing EVE to Guild Wars 2 

Originally posted by Metsis

Why is this a discussion? I don't get it.

New games never ever tell people in advance that "we will have free trial in a few months" due to the fact that they wish to make as much money off the initial launch box sales... Of course they are not going to shoot themselves on the foot by telling you can try our game free in a little while. This is just a business fact on any MMO game. Fact is that most MMO games will have free trials at some point. Be it in a few months or a year or over that, it will most likely have a free trial.

Now, let's talk about the meaning of a free trial... You have a free trial to let the player get consumed into the game and want him/her to play more. The difference here is that GW2 is B2P and Eve (as in many other MMOs) are P2P... With the B2P model, you are basically getting cash from the "average joe" player only from the box sales. Thus the price for the box is quite unlikely to come down very quickly and which is the reason why any sort of free trial is likely to come later rather than sooner. With the P2P model you get a continual income from the player base from the subs. Thus the box sales are not as important. If you can get a person to play for 6 months you've already made more than from any box sales. And the fact that people feel like they "didn't pay that much for it" makes them more likely to sub than if they already poured the 60 bucks into the game already.

There is a big difference within the payment models. Thus the 60 bucks for the Guild Wars 2 is basically all you ever have to pay for that game. Even with some expansions coming, you can always play the normal version... Even if you don't like it now after 2 weeks, you can always come back and give it a new spin after maybe some updates or to just give it another go. It is basically the same as any single player game out there...

If you try EvE or any other P2P game... You have the trial, if you don't like it you leave and after a while you'd like to try it again (I do this from time to time, or would like to do) you have to create another account for yourself since the first ones trial is already used. I've played EvE, it is fun for a while for me, but the lack of "online progress" isn't fun. Basically the game is at start about just plain and simple "making money" with little character progression to be seen. There should be some sort of a reward on the skill advancements for playing (something that ticks off the skill advancements quicker when you play the game)... Just in my opinion.

I have to hand it to CCP, they do come at me with those "come back and try the game again for xx days for free" which is very nice of them... If I feel like it, I might activate my account again for a set period of time...

But the bottom line is, ArenaNet makes the money off the box sales... P2P games makes their money off the monthly subs... These two income models are totally different and if ArenaNet was to have a free trial at launch, they would lose too much income and would have to shut down their operations pretty much immediatly.

I'm liking GW2 quite a bit now... I haven't done much "research" into the game as I like to learn as I go and new things are always around the corner to be discovered. I'm sure it will get old at some point, but it is not now, not for me. And for the record, I didn't like GW1 that much...

[/rant][/wall of text]

You, for one, bring up a lot of good points.

The first thing you say substantiates what I have been trying to get across to others in this thread, that it isn't "Fact" that there will be a trial, especially if the posters are unable to link to where Arenanet said there will be.  You provide good reasons for why they haven't stated this.

You're right, Guild Wars 2 uses a buy to play model.  EVE uses subscription.  I have attempted to compare not the cost, but the value of the two in my experience based on the amount of time and entertainment per dollar spent.

You're right in that EVE's skill system continues regardless of online status.  However, you touched on one other advancement, money.  Another could be said to be your social status/notoriety/fame, which in that game can matter.

I'm glad you're enjoying Guild Wars 2.  I didn't care much for Guild Wars 1s systems/features, but I'm glad you're finding it has lasting appeal :)

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

did eve had free trial after realese?

answer is no

so i dont understand your point here

i played eve for half a year, was in one of the big alliances before was disbanded becouse someone was hacked then couldnt remake it becouse someone took its name and CCP done shit..... ( one of the big alliances just stop exist in 1 day)

i quitted and never came back

• Flo13Flo13 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Originally posted by Sarbocabras

@OP

PROBLEM: You're comparing EVE to Guild Wars 2 

... and 60 with 1000.

Originally posted by saurus123

did eve had free trial after realese?

answer is no

so i dont understand your point here

That's ok let me explain.  To answer your question, the answer is yes.  EVE is currently post-release, and has a trial.  :)