Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR launch outsold GW2 launch...

Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Stupid post.

Guild Wars 2 will continue to sell actively and consistantly.

SW:TOR?

Will not.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Someone still plays SWTOR?
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

Ok. F2P soon, servers merging, horrid PvP, bad graphics, the only real reason it got any was for the name, and the huge lay offs (more than there should be for a succesful game) and the fact they prety uch admitted it was a fail game. Your Welcome.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

If I could give my copy of ToR back,I most definitely would.

Everytime I think of that game I slap myself for buying it.

EDIT: And yes,GW2 is just starting out..

ToR set sail and then proceeded to sink..that ship is long gone.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Considering how much money they spent on advertising and the love fans have for Star Wars, it's no big deal.  GW2 will pass it pretty quickly.

But feel free to keep on hating.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Wait.. how is a game that's two weeks old competing with one that's been out for a year and whose sales have basically dried up?  This thread doesn't make sense no matter what game you're talking about.
  • SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Wait.. how is a game that's two weeks old competing with one that's been out for a year and whose sales have basically dried up?  This thread doesn't make sense no matter what game you're talking about.

Launch sales vs launch sales, I mean. GW2 barely hit 2 million. SWTOR at launch was.. 2.3 million I think? Or was it 2.7 million?

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Stupid post.

Will not.

swtor is still selling copies of the game everysingle week. GW2 is B2P, you should make comparision with B2P games, like D3, or BF3, gw2 is far behind those games. But dont worry by the end of the year we will find more people playing swtor than gw2, well probably by the end of this month, since most of the active gw2 playerbase wll go back to wow to play MoP in a few more days. 

Launch sales vs launch sales, I mean. GW2 barely hit 2 million. SWTOR at launch was.. 2.3 million I think? Or was it 2.7 million?

And?  With a huge advertising campaign, SWTOR was bound to sell a lot.  That's kind of what they're for.  I don't know what the total sales of SWTOR are at the time of this posting.

Also, using trick words like "barely" don't do your point any justice.  The sales were well over 2 million.  I don't think you're worried about coming across as biased, it'd be pretty impossible not to at this point, but come on.  2.2 million is not barely 2 million.

And?  With a huge advertising campaign, SWTOR was bound to sell a lot.  That's kind of what they're for.  I don't know what the total sales of SWTOR are at the time of this posting.

Also, using trick words like "barely" don't do your point any justice.  The sales were well over 2 million.  I don't think you're worried about coming across as biased, it'd be pretty impossible not to at this point, but come on.  2.2 million is not barely 2 million.

Well over? Says who?

Barely?  Says who?
  • CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Stupid post.

Will not.

swtor is still selling copies of the game everysingle week. GW2 is B2P, you should make comparision with B2P games, like D3, or BF3, gw2 is far behind those games. But dont worry by the end of the year we will find more people playing swtor than gw2, well probably by the end of this month, since most of the active gw2 playerbase wll go back to wow to play MoP in a few more days. 

So because SW:TOR is going free to play its going to get shit loads of people playing it, millions? to you?

SW:TOR is a bad video game.  Its a horrendous MMORPG and its a complete and total train wreck.

Being "free" doesn't make it any better of a game.  People may finish up their storylines that they refused to pay to complete, but post-that? The game's shittiness will just push them away again.

Barely?  Says who?

NC Soft. Let's be realistic. If it were 2.1 million or higher, they'd report the decimal. If not, it would kind of be like getting 4.0 GPA in college and marking down that you got "over 2.5 GPA" on your resume'. I choose to think NCsoft isn't a bunch of idiots.

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

Difference is very big here.

One game is made by a studio who have a very large and well known track record and is backed by a megapublisher along with an intellectual property skin that is worth more than most people can fathom.

The other game is made by a studio who's only game to fame as of right now is Guild Wars 1 with a publisher who doesn't have a very big foothold in non-asian markets or western games at all (despite it's attempts) and has only one game to rely on for name exposure as a sequel in a series.

The fact that the two are even in the same ballpark speaks leagues about how SW:TOR should have done, in my opinion.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Why does this matter at all? This isn't constructive or anything. This is being a fanboy.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220

SWTOR has been out for a year...damn I didn't know it was christmas already, where does the time go.

• alexminoalexmino Member Posts: 132

GW2 didn't have half the hype Star Wars had, it wasn't anywhere near as big a deal on any of the major game sites as it was here.

It will not kill wow and people who said so were the same people who said so about every single mmo that comes out, they were wrong.

What it will do is a remain a buy to play game that has no barrier to entry and doesn't need subs to stay open.

GW was never some massive world changing success and it did just fine, GW2 will follow suit.

• Syno23Syno23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,360

Your stats are way off.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258

You have a source for GW2's initial sales? I find it hard to believe that they sold less than swtor considering they actually suspended sales to meet the demand. I'm not saying OMG NO WAY GW2 SOLD less but I'd like to see a source.

EDIT: Nvm just saw the artice. Good for SwTOR then considering it's dying and all. GW2's population will die down as well but its b2p so...*shrug*

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

As Matt Broomberg would so eliquently say...

"I don't know.."

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

What does it matter if SWTOR sold 500K, 1M, 10M or 100M boxes if  no one logs in anymore?

The real quesiton is "How many people continue to log in every day?"

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672

Star wars one of the most popular IPs on the planet barely beats some random fantasy game.

LOL AT THE POSTER OF THIS TOPIC

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

Is this the type of post that helps you achieve the rank of "Spotlight Poster"?

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I don't play and won't be playing GW2. So, why do I care what GW2 does compared to SWTOR. Friends of mine are playing GW2 and they are telling me there is nothing special about it. The only reason they are playing it is because of the "B2P" and that is about it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

the facts in this thread looks to be wrong. The first februar 2012 it was reported that swtor had passed the 2 mill mark, wich basicly look like it happend around or a little before 5 weeks after launch.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/

properly the exsact date can be found somewhere with some research. But it looks to me that in this topic, both game did amazing well in the first month. Can we leave it there ?

This discussion has been closed.