Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is just too..."tralala, smell the roses"

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Thornz2000
    I did not even want to try TSW due to the name of the unspoken evil ... FUNCOM

The true horror behind the game

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    If you put more meat behind your thoughts on GW2, people might be more willing to listen to what you have to say. Just saying "This game is so and so" and not even bother to give even a very shallow reason makes it seem like you are bashing for the sake of bashing, which benefits neither the people who DO enjoy the game, and the people who are wary of or don't like the game.
  • MeowheadMeowhead Member UncommonPosts: 3,716
    Originally posted by wrightstuf

I wanted to get into the game. I really did. It just seems like too cutsey, sissy, kiddie game. For what it does, it does well I guess. TSW has spoiled me with a mature, gritty feel that GW2 just doesnt have. I mean, come on. We're adults already (at least most are i think),  Maybe its the fantasy theme that's been beat to death that's doing it.

Ok, rant over...you may now proceed to bash me

The part in green makes me stare at you doubtfully about the part in red.

... I thought people stopped calling people sissies around the point in time they were old enough to get the training wheels off their bikes.

It's a ridiculous insult.  Calling people a sissy doesn't make you mature, and it makes me doubt your opinion on everything else. :)

• KrasnijKrasnij Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

You sir, are a nincompoop,

OMg lol havent heard that one for years, reminds me of south africa :-)

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Of course it's a friendly colorful game. Just look at any screenshot and you'll see it. That's why I switch to Fallen Earth every now and then. It's a nice contrast.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

Sometimes I do really find people miss the forest for the trees.

Someone brought up pandas as being for kids. Pandas are just an animal, that is that.

WoW is cutsey and immature? They obviously have not looked closely at the storylines in many, many areas of the game. Sure there are some cute things, immature or kiddy quests (like looking through animal poo to find keys) but then there are some deeply disturbing quests too (quests involving torture, raising of villages, betrayal, corruption at the highest levels, embezzlement, etc.). Don't confuse a bright and colorful artstyle for being intended exclusively for kids! The genius behind the WoW world is that it has a broad audience and there is something for everyone in it much like the best stories and movies.

I just got GW2, so can't say about it yet, but so far it does not strike me as sissy, kiddy, or cutsey, but then I rolled in the Norn area.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

This thread reeks of quality.

The "I reject and ridicule all things female" mentality will end pretty soon when you hit puberty or get your first girlfriend. Girls really aren't that scary, I promise.

A game doesn't have to be filled with artificial, stereotypical machismo in order to be "mature" or "manly". Real men don't have the insecurities that those needs illustrate.

The game is about exploration, completionism, and choice. It's the most "mature" MMORPG to come along in a long time...not because it shows boobies or talks about rape constantly...but instead because the mechanics don't constantly hold your hand. There are complex choices that have permanent consequences and a lot of depth and life to the world. Actual adults, not adolescents who feel a need to act like what they think an adult acts like, can appreciate what GW2 offers.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Izik
    Just another 1 month themepark

the lack of a sub will make it last longer but its really a 1 month mmo

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Turns out if you rush through the game ignoring most of the things there are to do, and only play for one month, it's a one month game.

For people who feel that way, thanks ever so much for contributing ~$60 to the ongoing development of a game I will happily play for years, without continuing to clutter up my chat channels or servers with your nonsensical complaints about the lack of an endgame you understand.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

I played WOW for many years and lot of haters say the same about WOW. That it is game for sissy, for kiddies etc etc. I read similar posts even now on these forums.

We should just ignore these people because no grown up will dismiss anything colorful or cute looking simply as 'kiddie or 'sissy'.

So what if WOW and GW2 have colorful settings? they have cute races like Asura and Pandas? they have to target all kind of audience. Young, old, children, women etc. You think GW2 will sell million of boxes just by targetting adults? nope you are wrong OP.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I wanted to get into the game. I really did. It just seems like too cutsey, sissy, kiddie game. For what it does, it does well I guess. TSW has spoiled me with a mature, gritty feel that GW2 just doesnt have. I mean, come on. We're adults already (at least most are i think),  Maybe its the fantasy theme that's been beat to death that's doing it.

Fantasy tend to be that way, they even turned Warhammer into something cute.

I blame Tolkien, there were no cute things in Howards Conan (the books, mind you).

But you either roll with it or not. GW2s world do actually have some nice stuff too as long as you stay away from the asura areas. The black citadel looks like a dirtier version of Newcastle or Detroit, no cute crap there.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532

How old are you?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Loke666

I blame Tolkien, there were no cute things in Howards Conan (the books, mind you).

But you either roll with it or not. GW2s world do actually have some nice stuff too as long as you stay away from the asura areas. The black citadel looks like a dirtier version of Newcastle or Detroit, no cute crap there.

All the cow events in charr zone, fighting cute bunnies in Norn zones, picking up flowers in human zones etec etc...these light hearted events are targetted towards younger as well as adult crowd. But why does it matter? aren't grown ups capable of having fun? why to avoid asura areas? GW2 has inserted light hearted and cute things all over the Tyria.

Why not just enjoy it without giving it labels? it is a video game after all. It won't make anyone less of a man if they fight cute bunnies or play as asura.

• PilnkplonkPilnkplonk Member Posts: 1,532
    Originally posted by Fozzik

The "I reject and ridicule all things female" mentality will end pretty soon when you hit puberty or get your first girlfriend. Girls really aren't that scary, I promise.

A game doesn't have to be filled with artificial, stereotypical machismo in order to be "mature" or "manly". Real men don't have the insecurities that those needs illustrate.

The game is about exploration, completionism, and choice. It's the most "mature" MMORPG to come along in a long time...not because it shows boobies or talks about rape constantly...but instead because the mechanics don't constantly hold your hand. There are complex choices that have permanent consequences and a lot of depth and life to the world. Actual adults, not adolescents who feel a need to act like what they think an adult acts like, can appreciate what GW2 offers.

+1

Thank you Fozzik for stating it so eloquently.

The only person I find worrying about being "mature" and not "sissy baby" is my 9 yo daughter. Fretting about maturity is the sure sign of immaturity.

.. and besides what's wrong with "smelling the roses?" My father-in-law is into gardening and I'd love to see someone call him immature.

i guess it would look something like this:

which is incidentally exactly how i feel about this thread and the op

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

How old are you?

Does it really matter? Any age he tells us  above puberty and i won't beleive him based on his responses here. The ary style is a bit bright at times, and the humor is ligh hearted at some parts, but I don't find the content childish at all. I can think of a couple less "childish" games visually, but I can't say anything positive about either games gameplay. OP mentioned one of the worst offenders. Sure the setting is mature and gritty, but the gameplay itself was about the most boring I have been a part of (wheels where 90% of the abilities were worthless combined with slow combat of spam builders and hit a finisher when points were readt). To each his own I guess.

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

+1

Thank you Fozzik for stating it so eloquently.

The only person I find worrying about being "mature" and not "sissy baby" is my 9 yo daughter. Fretting about maturity is the sure sign of immaturity.

.. and besides what's wrong with "smelling the roses?" My father-in-law is into gardening and I'd love to see someone call him immature.

i guess it would look something like this:

which is incidentally exactly how i feel about this thread and the op

+1 for you both.

/sigh....Ill say it again, GW2 is nor for everyone. Some people simply don't get it.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

Immature teenagers tend to brand colorful fantasy (asura, gnomes, pandaren) as "childish", so I don't see how anyone could seriously discuss this as an issue.

Most gamers are way older than that (I hope everyone realizes that by now), so it's not even a hugely important crowd, especially in the MMO space.

Having said that, GW2 just looks weird to me most of the time. But beatiful at certain points in the game.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    I think terra's creepy sex kids are the only avatars that made me dislike a game
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Charr city and starting zone is amazing! My favourite, by far.

• If you actually bothered to compare zones you would have noticed that TSW and GW2 are actually quite similar.  In fact Orr is far more gritty and hardcore and full of undead than any of the TSW zones.

Go ahead try to do zone completion in Orr solo.  Go ahead.  I dare you.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    many have had this issue, it's not the game it's the player who finally get tire of it for a while. I personally get tired of it occassionally and must do something scifi to offset this feeling. I played STO for about 4 months waiting for GW2 to release so I'm good. :)
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by halflife25

All the cow events in charr zone, fighting cute bunnies in Norn zones, picking up flowers in human zones etec etc...these light hearted events are targetted towards younger as well as adult crowd. But why does it matter? aren't grown ups capable of having fun? why to avoid asura areas? GW2 has inserted light hearted and cute things all over the Tyria.

Why not just enjoy it without giving it labels? it is a video game after all. It won't make anyone less of a man if they fight cute bunnies or play as asura.

Exactly.  I'm a 40 year old man and have a great time playing as an Asura.  In fact, I find the Asura storylines to be the most entertaining in the game.  Maybe that makes me just a kid at heart?  Besides, calling anything game related as childish and sissy is pretty stupid, I think.  After all, we are all just adults playing games.  How is that not "immature"?

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

Originally posted by gestalt11

If you actually bothered to compare zones you would have noticed that TSW and GW2 are actually quite similar.  In fact Orr is far more gritty and hardcore and full of undead than any of the TSW zones.

Go ahead try to do zone completion in Orr solo.  Go ahead.  I dare you.

LOL yep totally didn't touch on this part of his subject but yeah agree completely.

image LOL!

WOW you're post was the best I've seen in a while! nice one. We all know what happened to the only game I know of that showed boobies full on. I'd trade that for cartoony style characters and the solution to every major pve content problem since mmo's were created anyday!

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Yes we are adults! Zombies and Vampires is way more mature....

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This is pure gold!! You sir, made my day!