Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So..between now...and then?

There any good, real sandboxes that are due out before this game is scheduled to launch?

There anyone else out there making a true sandbox.  No please dont say ArcheAge, im not interested in quest hub "sandboxes"

Yes you could say DF 2.0 which is looking more and more like its launch will compete with this games launch.

Is there anything out there to follow along with this game?  This sites such a damn mess i cant find anything with all these browser games and DOTA style pvp match games.

I know MO is still in alpha and they are suppose to have a big patch soon, but i have issues with supporting that game any further from my near launch box purchase.

So what else is there for us people who are sandboxers and unable to enjoy the shallow risk free pvp of themeparks that the herd of gamers cant get enough of?

My hope is that theres something out there im missing that i could enjoy along with my eve-like mech game while i wait for this game to arrive.

Comments

• ThradokThradok Member Posts: 57

I wish I could help, but I'm in the same boat :(

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Again wiht the sandbox posts but only concerned with PvP. I want a true Sandbox game also but PvP isn't the only freature of a true Sandbox MMO. If you want a PvP pure game it isn't a MMO. Just saying that this is why today's sandbox games fail.
  • Muerte_XMuerte_X Member Posts: 104
    Not much out there unfortunately. Maybe take a look at the repopulation, but judging by your dislike for ArcheAge, I am not sure it is up your alley as it is a mix of sand and theme with quests. Looks kind of like a SWG/Shadowbane/Eve mix.

Often lurking, rarely posting

Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Again wiht the sandbox posts but only concerned with PvP. I want a true Sandbox game also but PvP isn't the only freature of a true Sandbox MMO. If you want a PvP pure game it isn't a MMO. Just saying that this is why today's sandbox games fail.

Actually, he just said he doesn't want shallow risk free pvp.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

EVE is really your only option until The War Z comes out.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Yeah, I've been playing DayZ, which is great for just pure sandboxyness, and plan on checking out The War Z as well. But...they are quite different from a single server fantasy game, heh.
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Ya I would love a single server fantasy game too but I cant see it happening.

Im actually int he mood for some new MMO themes. The Zombie//survival theme is definitely coming....but I'd also like to see a Western theme ala Red Dead Redemption....with crafts like fishing and gold panning/mining....how sick would THAT be :)

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

Asheron call 1 has a great FFA, loot system on Darktide, its an older games, but they have great PVP, and PVE even is one of the best with this kind of system, I wish another game would copy the PVE in it, as far as the questing system is .Lore based questing is awesome.... no hand holding crap.

Yes AC is old with old graphics, but one of the best games ever made hands down and still has a decent following on PVE servers and PVP, I play it from time to time and did for 7 years after launch, I wish turbine would update its graphics, but it would take an entire game engine over haul sadly or they would have.

But best game ever.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

You couldnt have have gotten my intentions or views on sandboxes any more wrong to be honest.

A good sandbox NEED the risk of full loot ffa pvp.  However catering to the hardcore pvpers gets you darkfall, a game that seriously struggling.

I want a sandbox with the fun of risky pvp and risky gameplay but with a focus on pve.  I played most of my many years of darkfall not macroing like the hardcore pvpers and not pvping (aside from holding seige mayhem).

I just cant get into a game where i dont have to watch my back and where pvp is northing more than a trip to a bind then a short time out...makes it all so very meaningless to me.

Todays sandboxes fail because a lot of people who would normally enjoythem put the blinders on and cant adapt to a game with pvp.  It just takes a change in habits to adapt and youll never lose anything you cant replace.  Also most all sandboxes have shit pve combat and shit combat systems in general.  Todays sandboxes (EVE genere games aside) are nothing more than crafting sims with pvp.  Darkfall did a good job with enjoyable pve combat, where i wasnt fighting just mobile rescource nodes, however the launch and the hardcore pvpers urge to prevent all from progressing without pvp/macroing really prevented many from enjoyting a great aspect of that game.  And now its ruined with wow-style progression.

Anyway.  Adding enough pve sand in the sandbox, and creating an enviroment where people can progress without griefers, especially at launch, would create a fantastic ratio of criminal pvpers and normal people.  There needs to be more normal players than pk griefers else it will just turn into a hardcore pvp only game...and those suck.

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by redman875

You couldnt have have gotten my intentions or views on sandboxes any more wrong to be honest.

A good sandbox NEED the risk of full loot ffa pvp.  However catering to the hardcore pvpers gets you darkfall, a game that seriously struggling.

I want a sandbox with the fun of risky pvp and risky gameplay but with a focus on pve.  I played most of my many years of darkfall not macroing like the hardcore pvpers and not pvping (aside from holding seige mayhem).

I just cant get into a game where i dont have to watch my back and where pvp is northing more than a trip to a bind then a short time out...makes it all so very meaningless to me.

Todays sandboxes fail because a lot of people who would normally enjoythem put the blinders on and cant adapt to a game with pvp.  It just takes a change in habits to adapt and youll never lose anything you cant replace.  Also most all sandboxes have shit pve combat and shit combat systems in general.  Todays sandboxes (EVE genere games aside) are nothing more than crafting sims with pvp.  Darkfall did a good job with enjoyable pve combat, where i wasnt fighting just mobile rescource nodes, however the launch and the hardcore pvpers urge to prevent all from progressing without pvp/macroing really prevented many from enjoyting a great aspect of that game.  And now its ruined with wow-style progression.

Anyway.  Adding enough pve sand in the sandbox, and creating an enviroment where people can progress without griefers, especially at launch, would create a fantastic ratio of criminal pvpers and normal people.  There needs to be more normal players than pk griefers else it will just turn into a hardcore pvp only game...and those suck.

There will never be another game that captures everyone together with their playstyles. Too many games that cater to the different styles of play.

I am with you. Im in the middle ground. I enjoy every aspect of gaming, including the fear of getting ganked. But..... Darkfall, Mortal Online, and games that have open world PvP with consequence is like walking in the middle of a Prison Yard with your ass exposed.

Its just not fun.

Sad thing is that the gankers and PKs take it to the level of griefing because thats their fun. They find a way to make it miserable for others and thus those games end up failing and you are left with a Prison yard of punks inside the game.

I actually understand why companies do not create games that have consequence. Because even someone like me who loves Pvp and Guild vs Guild and enjoyed the hell out of UO before Trammel, will not play a game where people intentionally try to ruin my fun.

Sucks. I rarely stick with FPS games either because people hack and cheat and its not fun to play with people who cheat while you are trying to play with skill.

People ruin the games and this is why we will never have all playstyles inside of one game. Wont ever happen.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230
    Originally posted by Ashlura
    Originally posted by redman875

There will never be another game that captures everyone together with their playstyles. Too many games that cater to the different styles of play.

I am with you. Im in the middle ground. I enjoy every aspect of gaming, including the fear of getting ganked. But..... Darkfall, Mortal Online, and games that have open world PvP with consequence is like walking in the middle of a Prison Yard with your ass exposed.

Its just not fun.

Sad thing is that the gankers and PKs take it to the level of griefing because thats their fun. They find a way to make it miserable for others and thus those games end up failing and you are left with a Prison yard of punks inside the game.

I actually understand why companies do not create games that have consequence. Because even someone like me who loves Pvp and Guild vs Guild and enjoyed the hell out of UO before Trammel, will not play a game where people intentionally try to ruin my fun.

Sucks. I rarely stick with FPS games either because people hack and cheat and its not fun to play with people who cheat while you are trying to play with skill.

People ruin the games and this is why we will never have all playstyles inside of one game. Wont ever happen.

If the point of the game is to lose and replace the stuff you loss...its not a big deal.  I agree there needs to be stuff to draw griefers attention away from harassing people.  Good guild vs guild mechanics, territory loss, and other pvp mechanics will keep those people busy.  There will always be PKK guilds who hunt these players, there always is...as will there always be the option to not play alone, in an unsafe area, and to plan ahead.

The only people who ruin these types of games are the people who fail to see them as just games.  The griefers, while annoying get that they are in a game.  The guy rage quitting because he yet again lost hours of farming solo, rather than banking often, or using the games community to assist...they are the ones who dont get it, and should stick to super safe themeparks where they can solo in peace.  

These types of games are not for everyone.  People who get mad over pixle loss are going to quit one way or another.  The griefers feed off your unnatural emotional attachment to easily replacable items, and feed off players inability to use their head and adapt.

If i were you, i would stay far, far, away from games like this and stick to GW2 or whatever flavor of the month themepark is out there.  No risk no griefers, safe solo fun!!!.   And i dont mean this as an insult, to be ok with those games is great, since you actually have a vairety of options.  Those of us who need the risk to enjoy the game, who need the loss potential, the challange of confronting griefers ect...we have very few options, and most are unfinished buggy games.  

Luckily the great thing about sandboxes like this is that you dont need 50 full servers of players youll never meet to enjoy it or consider it a success.  Its all about the game play mechanics and adrenaline...not populairity and class balance.