Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The best game you aren't playing

RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

After jumping around from game to game for quite a while, I have settled on Rift as my home for the forseable future.  At first glance it looked like a beautiful well-polished game, but it didn't seem to stray from the standard MMO formula that I was a little burned out on.  I really appreciate how hard Trion works at pumping out constant updates and new content though, and so I came back after wandering around a bit more.  Their dev team just seems a step ahead of everyone else when it comes to quickly putting out fantastic content.  After really coming to appreciate the awesome game Trion has put together and reading a cascade of player love for the devs this morning, I just had to post.

http://forums.riftgame.com/rift-general-discussions/general-discussion/332227-todays-patch-notes-awesome.html

If you haven't given Rfit a look, I really think you should give it a chance.  Think WoW with better graphics, more class flexibility, and faster updates.

Currently playing:
Rift
Played:
SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
World of Warcraft, AoC

Comments

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Not to sound trolling, but truthfully I tried it and found it amazingly unimpressive and got bored of it very fast.

I'm glad they've adopted Asheron's Call's system of regular content updates for free but the game as a whole was just rather meh.

I am glad they're continuing to do well enough to not have to go to F2P.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I like Rift, but the lack of starting zones turns me off a lot. I mean two starting zones, in total, one for each faction... I like to create alts, but having to go through exactly the same content each time is just too much.

And I heard a lot about people putting everything into one button macros, that sounds unfunny too.

Apart from that, I like the graphics and stuff.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

i play lotro =no sub(lifetime)

gw2=no sub

tsw=no sub(lifetime)..so paid in advance

so given the fact i have no sub i,m toying with the idea of rift..but if i go back i,m gonna do a years sub and get expansion for free..i have always had respect for trion.they put out polished material all the time compared to some of the gaming companies.

i will admit it can get a bit tedious sometimes but when i have the choice i have i can switch between games i suppose.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I played Rift a launch to max level. Went back with the new continent did not find it more more appealing than when I stopped playing. It was fun when I played but it just wasn't worth it to try and get back up to speed again.
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Every 6 months or so, I give Rift another shot.  For the first few weeks, I think the game is great and wonder why I ever stopped playing. 

However, I seem to hit a wall after about 4-6 weeks where I simply can't bring myself to log in anymore.

Then about 6 months later I jump back in, etc, etc.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  I think Trion is a great developer and I try to support them when I can.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Yes, I agree.  When I first started my initial thought was this game looks great and seems well-polished, but nothing really jumps out and GRABS me.  After playing all of the major releases and coming back I now realize that most MMOs out right now are the same thing in different packages, but the sheer rate of updates and way Trion listens so closely to what the players want has brought me back.  I think it is really important to support a developer who works this hard for the players.  It also doesn't hurt that Rift is just such a polished package and the expansion is right around the corner.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Every 6 months or so, I give Rift another shot.  For the first few weeks, I think the game is great and wonder why I ever stopped playing. 

However, I seem to hit a wall after about 4-6 weeks where I simply can't bring myself to log in anymore.

Then about 6 months later I jump back in, etc, etc.

I'm glad you're enjoying it.  I think Trion is a great developer and I try to support them when I can.

You sound burned out on MMOs.  That is why I had to take a break for a while.  It is better when you take some time off and come back.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Rift was and IS one of the -- worst -- known mmorpgs on the market. Extremly hyped and overrated around the release, while the gameplay was -- and is -- totally unimpressive and unoriginal.

Extremely packed space full of mobs on every corner, quest hubs 15 metres away from each other, outdated crafting and super slow combat. The world did not feel like a world AT ALL.

Rift was along with Star Trek and TOR the worst MMORPG experiences I had over the last few years.

Everything I hated about WoW, was present in Rift and multiplied to an extreme.

REALITY CHECK

• CakeisyummehCakeisyummeh Member Posts: 194
    Originally posted by Thillian

Rift was and IS one of the -- worst -- known mmorpgs on the market. Extremly hyped and overrated around the release, while the gameplay was -- and is -- totally unimpressive and unoriginal.

Extremely packed space full of mobs on every corner, quest hubs 15 metres away from each other, outdated crafting and super slow combat. The world did not feel like a world AT ALL.

Rift was along with Star Trek and TOR the worst MMORPG experiences I had over the last few years.

It's one of the worst MMORPG's on the market -IN YOUR OPINION-.

Some people like this type of themepark game, myself included.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    In all fairness, OP is probably right. It is one of the better MMOs I'm not playing. Unfortunately, it bores me to tears. I've always ranked it with Lotro in the "good, well-made game... cba to play it." Can't fully explain why, it just does nothing for me or my gaming group...
  • TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    By "content" do you mean... more and more grindy quests? And how does that make up for the fact that 95% of the design is lifted from WoW? A game that's been tired and boring since 2001 when it was called EverQuest?
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

Oh god, WAKE UP, you're on FORUM, everything is opinion here. DO people need to spell it out for you after every sentence?

REALITY CHECK

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh

When you are logging in and enjoying your game,  remember, it's important for you to have recieved your REALITY CHECK so as not to go overbard with having fun. We need to keep a balance you know. When you are going from mob to mob and quest hubs, rememebr that perspective and don't let yourself enjoy it too much.

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

Oh, that best game that I am not playing because there are 2 starting zones, and 6 races that share 4 skins...yes I remember it well.  No thanks.

Edit: I forgot to include the other thing about this "best game" - the ability to condense 3 soul trees into a handful of macro'd buttons. 

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Played it for about a month and altough Rifts dynamic events were nice, cooler than GW 2's, and the open ended class system was very innovative the rest of the game felt very linear and standard. What finally killed it was the boring, un-inspired PvP.

Has that changed?

Originally posted by Carnafex

Oh, that best game that I am not playing because there are 2 starting zones, and 6 races that share 4 skins...yes I remember it well.  No thanks.

Edit: I forgot to include the other thing about this "best game" - the ability to condense 3 soul trees into a handful of macro'd buttons. 

your 1st part of the argument, I can't say anything about. It's a common complaint and well, yeah, I'ts like that.

But the macro thing. I never understood that argument. If you don't like them, don't use them. It's not like they make you better at playing for having used them, in fact, if anything, it's the opposite. I use macros for very specific tasks and I try to keep them as small as possible. Frankly People who know how to fucntion without relying on macros play better.

For poster below this quote......The issue you have with PVP has been acknowleged by Trion, they have made changes. THey are arguable, but Trion has heard and has introduced Conquest. And I understand that PVP in the expansion will not be the progression grind fest, it's been to now.

But you'd be better off researching it. I'm not a huge PVPer.

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Rift and Everquest have been the only games I've felt I got my $15/mo worth and more.  The only games I would ever pay a subscription for. Trion is just an amazing development team.
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    The best active game I am not playiing would be Fallen Earth or Ryzom
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

Not to sound trolling, but truthfully I tried it and found it amazingly unimpressive and got bored of it very fast.

I'm glad they've adopted Asheron's Call's system of regular content updates for free but the game as a whole was just rather meh.

I am glad they're continuing to do well enough to not have to go to F2P.

My experience was pretty much the same...I didnt like the "everyone starts in the same zone" for every race, and the quest hubs were about as ridiculous as it gets in a MMO....Add in the excessive hand holding and it just wasn't my cup of tea......The dev team is all that has kept the game from falling to f2p, but at some point it is inevitable.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Wait until after Sept 22nd and you can start fresh with everyone else in Ryzom.....They are combining all servers into one and making everyone start from level 1....If you've never tried it taht would be the time to start.

• GoodAfternoonGoodAfternoon Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Carnafex

Starting zones...... lol

You realize MMO's are about endgame right? You spend an hour in these zones.

Macros? Haha yeah I hated how Trion literally pointed a gun at me and told me to either macro or get the fuck out of Rift. 

Your opinions? No thanks. 

Rift is certainly the best MMO out on the market. 

Rift

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    Originally posted by eddieg50

Wait until after Sept 22nd and you can start fresh with everyone else in Ryzom.....They are combining all servers into one and making everyone start from level 1....If you've never tried it taht would be the time to start.

Yea I read that , It will be dissapointing to vets but great for people like me who never got to far into the game

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I just coudn't get into this one and at this point I am unlikely to try it out again. . not enough time for games I enjoyed right away.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    I just coudn't get into this one and at this point I am unlikely to try it out again. . not enough time for games I enjoyed right away.

I'm the same way. The game's gotta capture you early or ots lost.

For me, Rift did, where others haven't But I've seen a lot of complaints that the early stages of the game just didn't cut it.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Rift is a lot of fun. I can log on and jump into a raid or group quest in a matter of seconds. Or i can log on and fish or do crafting quests and crafting rifts. Or jump into a dungeon and heal with my chloromancer ( one of my favorite mmo classes to date). Or log on and head over to a zone wide invasion and play with 50+ people. I play on Faeblight and the rp community is great and most people are friendly when you greet them.

Now im going to be getting my own plot of land and new n improved rift events, world bosses and instant adventures when the xpac hits. Probably the best mmo to come out in the past few years. Great dev team that actively communicates with their customers and man they crank out the patches and updates like no other mmo dev ive witnessed.