Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why WoW has not fallen?

13»

Comments

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

Its a quality game. Always changing, always adapting, always growing. 

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by Angier2758
    Originally posted by ChicagoCub
    Now that second coming has ended and the second crucifixion has started, how many "WoW Killers" have failed?  I know what you're looking for but you're not going to find it here.  This site reviews based on advertising dollars and no matter how long WoW stays on top, or how many posters played wow for years, they will still cling to their WoW hate.  It's pathological.

Midnight last night all, but 3 servers were full on GW2.

Only people trying to bash GW2 are either not playing or didn't really want to play it in the first place.  WoW has not offered anything exceptional in like 5 years.

What a strange statement.  Anyways, i've been playing GW2 everyday for the past week and while its a great game - it won't be a WoW killer.

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Mackeh

If it were to be released now in it's current state it would fail

Very true. It was successful when it launched for a lot of reasons. The ones that stand out to me are timing, brand, low system requirements, humor, very player friendly, higher fun factor and well made. I seem to remember choosing between EQ2 and WoW - EQ2 barely ran on high end systems and my previous experience with EQ involved a lot of unpleasant features like corpse runs and staring at a static spellbook while my wizard recharged his mana. The choice was pretty obvious. 

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by TheHavok

What a strange statement.  Anyways, i've been playing GW2 everyday for the past week and while its a great game - it won't be a WoW killer.

Of course it's a WoW killer. It's just not going to do it single handedly. WoW is an aging game that a lot of people have played to the point of no return. Every decent new game erodes it even more. I've gone from knowing dozens of people that played WoW to one friend that might re-sub to check out the expansion. From my perspective it's already dead, but I'm sure millions will buy the expansion and I truely hope they enjoy it.

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

I've tried a few MMOs over the years with the latest being GW2.

I have to say that nothing has instantly caught me and dragged me in the way WoW has when I first started it up.

1. Nostalgia. Many people grew up playing Warcraft, and not only Warcraft 3 but you know...those two before that? Getting to walk and ride through that world was enough of an instant immersion for many people, myself included.

2. It is a very polished, very well made game. Simple as that. It works great and I have never had any trouble with it whatsoever.

3. Community. The sense of community that at least I have experienced in WoW puts all others to shame. Guild events, capital city raids, open world PvP, even the 5 hour epic raids enforced a sense of community. When I grouped up with someone in WoW, we usually ended up playing for days together, until one outleveled the other. That hardly ever happened in other games. Ofc, it is highly possible that this is just my bad luck.

4. Someone mentioned that most WoW players are not MMO players, just WoW players. I agree, but I do not say that this is a bad thing. For many people WoW is the reason they went into the MMO genre and aren't really interested in other games. I don't see this as a negative thing. If you found a game that provides you with fun and relaxation for years, you shouldn't be blamed for not wanting to "try something else" at any cost.

5. It all comes down to this - it's fun. Everyone will now bash WoW any oppurtunity they get, but basically all the other games follow WoW's formula. Yeah, it'll have a nifty mechanic or two - but when you break it all down the term "WoW clone" exists for a reason. Yeah, you can dodge in this game and we don't call thiese raids but "dynamic events" and you don't need to craft here yourself, you can send an assistant to do it, oh and here you can this this or that or that and this etc etc etc. But all that is basically just minor variations of the same formula.

NOW...I don't claim that WoW invented these concepts and this type of gameplay - but it did bring it to more players than dozens of other AAA MMOs put together. And that's basically what counts.

When WoW came out many of these concepts were new to most people. Not everyone. Yeah, I'm sure someone will come up and cite a billion other MMOs that have done all that before but WoW brought it into mainstream. So, for most people it was new. The open world. The exploration. Finding lore related items. You never knew what was on top of that hill or beyond that forest and it was exciting to explore.

Today you basically know what to expect almost instantly from almost any game, cause it's pretty much more of the same and the excitement is gone.

It's popular to bash WoW these days, and people just like to do it. My personal favorites are those who say "Yeah, WoW is the worst game ever." yet I know for a fact that they have five epic geared max leveled characters.

I can't wait for Titan.

And let's be honest - I can't wait for World of Warcraft 2.

• macrowowmacrowow Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by Hell_Hammer

I can't wait for Titan.

I thougth Titan was the new Diablo?

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by macrowow
    Originally posted by Hell_Hammer

I can't wait for Titan.

I thougth Titan was the new Diablo?

nope it is a MMORPG. that is confirmed.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    @OP:  Why has WoW not "fallen?"   Because it has the graphical requirements of an Etch-a-Sketch deluxe and parents do not have to buy a new rig for every new game the kid gets.  And, if you think i'm kidding, as a parent, I urge you to seek out other parents of players and see what they have to say on the subject.  

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Too many fanboys that won't give it up, its hard to leave something you've done for a while.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• macrowowmacrowow Member Posts: 26

No MMO has yet matched their console-like responsiveness in PVP IMO

Agree hard to stop playing something you have hundreds of hours invested in

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

1. Big budget accessible game released during time when Internet expandeed insanely fast and changed from modem pay per minute to DSL pay once per month for unlimited internet.

2.released 1 year after incredibly succesful Warcraft 3 - additional playerbase attracted to game right from the start aside from players from other mmorpg's that have strong belieffs what mmorpg should look like.

3. First truly mainstream mmorpg -> mean totally new game type for many players.

4. Snowball effect.

5. Blizzard mercilessly changing game for bringing more conveniance to attract bigger more casual audience that far surpased in numbers some percent of 'old' players leaving.

6. For those old vets that left creating closed boxed mini-game - raiding and to lesser extent arenas and being good at it. 

==========================

Most of above 'reasons' are not avabile for reuse by other companies.

1, 3 are totally not avabile

5 will be harder to do, since this pattern is well known to players and mainstream mmorpg's are very coveniant-casual right ffrom the start - so less 'space' to make it

2 - theoreticaly possible, but making 2 AAA outstandingly succesful games from 2 separate genres in one year 'space' - hard to do+very high cost.  Besides atm general playerbase population know mmorpg's so there is no-more hordes of untapped gamers there to get.

6 - rising amount of 'vet' players don't want anymore 95% of game faceroll easy & casual + 5% only made for them.

4. Still possible I guess, but very hard to do - all mmorpg's in west which started strong after WoW failed.

High amount of lobby online games like LoL, WoT, etc and even more of them upcoming - are draining part mmorpg's

playerbase and mmorpg's cannot win huge mainstream population western gamers with them.  That's why there will be less western mmorpg's in future - at least on PC.

• CyanKCyanK Member Posts: 20
    Originally posted by knightaudit

3) it will run on almost everythign out there.. no matter how old your system is (and yes I saw it running on a netbook)

This

• dageezadageeza Member Posts: 578

While i am actually enjoying GW2 much more than i ever did WoW i still have a special soft spot for that old game that i am burned out on because it is still a very well made game when compared to most others..

I wont be doing the pandaville expansion though as i am completely burned out on WoWs mechanics and static gameplay..

Yet i still hold WoW in high regard as one of the greatest games ever made right up there near GW2 which imho is the greatest game ever made to date..

Playing GW2..