Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Dark Age of Camelot: Wayback Wednesday - DAOC Stomping

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

In this week's Wayback Wednesday, we take you on the fifth excursion into the world of Dark Age of Camelot. Series regulars Kai Schober, BioWare Mythic Senior Community Manager, and Talal Saad, BioWare Mythic Developer for DAoC all make their triumphant return to show off the epic game. Check it out!

For this month’s installment we left our adventure in Hibernia behind us and started anew in Midgard. I left the choice of which realm to play up to you, the viewers, and you overwhelmingly responded with the Odin worshipping Middies. To mix it up even more I went out on a limb and decided to play a caster instead of a melee class. While I have played a ranged class before in a MMO I have never played a caster. I’d be lying if I told you my first hour playing as a caster was an enjoyable experience. My first breaths as a Runemaster where filled with suffering at the paws of the mighty wolves in my starting zone. It was at this point I sent out a call for help and formed a group. Once Etaew and I began questing together we reached level 20 in no time from there it was on to the episode and the Thidranki battleground.

Read (and see!) more of Rob Lashley's Wayback Wednesday: DAoC Stomping.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• hostile17hostile17 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    I am not sure why this even qualifies for a Way back Wednesday anymore, considering that a lot of people play Dark Age of Camelot even today. I cannot confirm this, but I suspect that subs have increased ever since the anniversary with returning players wanting to return and newer players wanting the feel of "something new" other than the modern trappings of wow, Rift and the like. TO me, DAoC has always been an atmospheric, compelling game and I hope you keep making these vids.
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by hostile17
    I am not sure why this even qualifies for a Way back Wednesday anymore, considering that a lot of people play Dark Age of Camelot even today. I cannot confirm this, but I suspect that subs have increased ever since the anniversary with returning players wanting to return and newer players wanting the feel of "something new" other than the modern trappings of wow, Rift and the like. TO me, DAoC has always been an atmospheric, compelling game and I hope you keep making these vids.

It qualified based on the age.

Don't worry.  We will keep doing these each month for atleast the next 7 months.  

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by hostile17

It's not different enough anymore. Bioware and EA are doing their best to remove all the things that once made DAoC great.

It's still miles above the others, but its been in free fall for years.

• ColdrenColdren Member UncommonPosts: 495

They tried to make DAoC 2.. It got canned. Copper was executive producer for it at the time. My old post from another thread, and of course, the source doesn't work anymore.

-----------------------------------------------------

They began production on DAoC 2 a long time ago. It was called "Dawn of Camelot". Walt "Copper" Yarbrough was project lead on it when the plug got pulled. I don't know how far along it was, but probably wasn't too far beyond concept.

http://ealouse.wordpress.com/2010/10/14/and-another-things/

Walter Yarbrough says:
    October 13, 2010 at 3:01 am
    As the Producer of Dawn of Camelot, the very, very, very short life that it had before being killed didn’t affect WAR (or really isn’t the root cause of WAR’s problems).
    Sure, there were people who needed a place to land, but the WAR team swelled up just fine after Dawn was killed – producing a playable prototype that was the selling point for the company at the next E3.

DAoC 2 just isn't going to happen. Sorry :(

• mustang2750mustang2750 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Ofcourse DAOC 2 wont happen. Its because Bioware/Mythic has become an awful company with terrible decisions. I guarantee DAOC 2 would have and retain more subs than the disasters of Warhammer/SWTOR.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by mustang2750
    Ofcourse DAOC 2 wont happen. Its because Bioware/Mythic has become an awful company with terrible decisions. I guarantee DAOC 2 would have and retain more subs than the disasters of Warhammer/SWTOR.

Agree, at least there would be some fun pvp, which neither War or Swtor every had, wait DAoC still has fun pvp....

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Ozmodan
    Originally posted by mustang2750

Agree, at least there would be some fun pvp, which neither War or Swtor every had, wait DAoC still has fun pvp....

I would love a daoc2, but would just settle for an upgraded engine of daoc, for more fluid movement. The game is still fun, and I've been thinking of playing again even before I saw this, but the movement just bugs me a lot lol. Hate the strafing here.

• MastaraMastara Member Posts: 9

We need a DAoC 2! Search around the internet. There are soo many people that would play it. I think it would be a WoW killer for sure. At least for those that are PVP/RVR nuts like myself. I've played every new MMO out to date and yet here I am, back to playing DAoC. No other game on the market including SWTOR, GW2, WAR, AION, Rift, AoC blah blah could even touch DAoC, F2P or not. DAoC always wins hands down.

They need to just get down to business and make this happen. Even from a money standpoint they would make a huge killing in profits from people that would be willing to play. It may never happen, but man if it ever does I'm there!

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    TESO has things about it that make me think daoc 2

Also if planetside2 is like the first should scratch that rvr itch.

For now we got gw2 at least. Now I've got into it a bit more I'm enjoying it a lot, best mmo since eve / planetside / coh.