Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    How do we know the population in gw2 is dropping? I don't think that is the case is it?

From overall population from servers maybe ? it is too soon to tell.

Bite Me

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897

2 million box sales is good but not great.  They certainly didn't have the advertisement dollars or name recogntion that SWTOR had, and so these numbers make sense.

It's really too bad that ANet has stated they want to beat WOW.  And it's too bad that GW2 fans put their hopes on them doing that.  It just fans the flames of WOW fanboys laughing at you when it fails to happen.

I'm far from convinced that GW2 will grow like WOW did.  I'm not sold on GW2 end game content.  And I have no clue what kind of updates ANet has planned for GW2, which is key in giving the game teh necessary growth.

• KakkzookaKakkzooka Member Posts: 591
    Congrats ArenaNet! It's great to see a game crafted by gaming enthusiasts as opposed to clueless, greedy suits! The rewards you will reap are more than justified!

Re: SWTOR

"Remember, remember - Kakk says 'December.'"

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    How do we know the population in gw2 is dropping? I don't think that is the case is it?

From overall population from servers maybe ? it is too soon to tell.

from my /age thread people a lot of people were averaging 10+ hours a day.  That is crazy.  People are starting to play their normal play hours now though.   Xfire trend is showing this. 

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by tank017

WoW has 9 million people WILLING to pay the monthly fee..

Question is for how long ? Guild Wars 2 will have an effect on that number and it was already in decline before GW2 arrived . Imagine the numbers GW2 will get when its released in China (if it proves popular) .Thats going to cut into that 9 million like freddie does into dreaming teens .

This is with just one Buy to Play game . Theres inevitably going to be a long more in future now .

WoW will never hold onto 9 million players now . I know as a WoW fan this must be worrying for you .

MoP has had a mixed reaction due to its content to say the least so you cant rely on the that to boost its flagging subs by much and certainly not for a sustained period .

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

oh man did someone just quote xfire numbers as a source of proof again?

That's one of the oldest tricks in the book!

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    That's my point, ' lots' of people are leaving doesn't mean anything. 1 we don't know how many are leaving, 2 how many are joining at the same time.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    ... and, yes, that includes prostitution. 

Can we speculate about which (hookers or gaming companies) has the more honest marketing?

(i.e. which is in most desperate need of fanboy support.)

No comment at this present time.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by roo67

Question is for how long ? Guild Wars 2 will have an effect on that number and it was already in decline before GW2 arrived . Imagine the numbers GW2 will get when its released in China (if it proves popular) .Thats going to cut into that 9 million like freddie does into dreaming teens .

This is with just one Buy to Play game . Theres inevitably going to be a long more in future now .

WoW will never hold onto 9 million players now . I know as a WoW fan this must be worrying for you .

MoP has had a mixed reaction due to its content to say the least so you cant rely on the that to boost its flagging subs by much and certainly not for a sustained period .

WoW has had to compete with many other games in china, gw2 is just another medium sized fish in the pond.  China has so many people, and so many different games that never make it to the west...  Blizzard is used to the competition there, and anet would probably be more worried about how it will fare vs the other games over there, instead of trying to take a chunk out of wow. 

I personally believe that gw2 in its current state will not do well in china... it may sell a lot of boxes due to hype and curiosity, but the game is way too easy with a severe lack of content, that chinese gamers will consume within days. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by BadSpock

oh man did someone just quote xfire numbers as a source of proof again?

Don't. We beg you, just don't.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by caetftl

A lot of people are blasting the game... to the same degree that games like swtor or d3 were blasted... that is never a good sign for retention.

It's always cute when you try to play off like you actually know what you are talking about.

World of Warcraft gets blasted all the time by lots of people too! Can't be a good sign for retention, huh?

Also, me thinks you might be looking for "bashing", not blasting. Blast can be used as a positive description, so "blasting" a game could mean lots of people are saying it's a blast! Bash, not so much. You get a D for effort with your trolling though, sad to see such bad trolls around, I miss the good ones.

Ah I didn't know you could quantify active players using the blasting measurement.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,115
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

It is estimated WoW sold between 60-80 million boxes.

WoW is estimated at around half of that.  To achieve those numbers they would have had to sell 15-20million boxes of the original, and then every expansion after that would have had to sell the exact same amount. 

If the game, in its 8 or so years of existence, had perfect retention and absolutely no acquisition after the first year then you'd be right. It would also be the most extreme anomaly ever to happen in the sale of any service ever offered in the entire history of mankind... and, yes, that includes prostitution. 

WoW has been growing since the release to around 2010/2011 if I am correct which then had 12 mil subs! Let's just say that 20 mil has tried WoW since 2004 till today, it's a bit much , but just let's assume! From the total of 20 mil, 10 mil are the ones who bought boxes, since the rest are from Asia and most of them play from internet caffe's where they don't need to buy a boxe in order to play, they just need to pay by hour.

From the total of 10 mils of box buyers, in no way, they could ALL buy all 4 expansion.

Let's see :

Burning Crusade = 2.4 in the first 24h. 1st month 3.5 mils copies ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_The_Burning_Crusade )

Wrath of the Lich King = 2.8 mil in the first 24h ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_Warcraft:_Wrath_of_the_Lich_King

Cataclysm = 3.3 mil in the first 24 hours ( see above link for the source )

That makes 9.6 mils of box sales. No, it does not mean that if they sold 2.8 mil in the first 24 hours, it doubled in the first month ( see Burning Crusade )

Ok, let's say they sold 4 mil copies on each expansion, since WoW sold after the first month too! Fuck, let's put 5 mils each expansion. That means we have 15 mil boxes sold. Let's do a simple math now! 15 mil : 3 expansion, that's 5 mil players ( which is normal and kinda true from the blizzard reports ) and then let's add the 5 mil to the 15 mil , since peoples owned and payed for the box since the release of it! That would be 20 mils of boxes sold in EU/NA!

Heck, let's put 25 mils boxes, but that's it! No 40-60 or 80 mils boxes sold!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

Originally posted by Cursedsei

A lot of people are blasting the game... to the same degree that games like swtor or d3 were blasted... that is never a good sign for retention.

It's always cute when you try to play off like you actually know what you are talking about.

World of Warcraft gets blasted all the time by lots of people too! Can't be a good sign for retention, huh?

Also, me thinks you might be looking for "bashing", not blasting. Blast can be used as a positive description, so "blasting" a game could mean lots of people are saying it's a blast! Bash, not so much. You get a D for effort with your trolling though, sad to see such bad trolls around, I miss the good ones.

Well you may think i am looking for bashing, but I said what I meant, and I meant blasting.  When you blast something it has a negative connotation, unless you are referring to sound in which case it usually depends on context. 

Also the rest of your post is incorrect... there is a difference in the way WoW gets blasted, and the way new games get blasted when they are hemmorhaging players.  Some people notice these differences, I guess you aren't one of them. 

But calling someone a troll just because they understand things in a way you don't seem to, makes you a certain type of person yourself.  And trying to correct my word usage, when it didn't need to be corrected, makes you look sorta silly.

And what you will be saying when MOP will break all sale records? i mean seriously do you guys ever give up because this is same old song and dance since days of very first expansion. You gusy keep rooting for big guy to fall year after year only to never learn. I gotto commend your dedication though.

Bite Me

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by BadSpock oh man did someone just quote xfire numbers as a source of proof again?

Well, if we're going to allow blasting as a measuring tool, XFire can't be any worse.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Content provided for all that money plus subs is shamefully isn't it!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

And what you will be saying when MOP will break all sale records? i mean seriously do you guys ever give up because this is same old song and dance since days of very first expansion. You gusy keep rooting for big guy to fall year after year only to never learn. I gotto commend your dedication though.

Oh yeah? Well, what if MoP releases, breaks records and has no impact on GW2? Huh? Betcha didn't think about THAT, did you!

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by BadSpock oh man did someone just quote xfire numbers as a source of proof again?
    Well, if we're going to allow blasting as a measuring tool, XFire can't be any worse.

Chuckle.  Sometimes, you just need to leave the topic grenades laying where they fall.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Ya... each wow expansion outsells the previous ones, yet people always claim wow is dead.

The worst part about the people trying to mock the whole blasting concept, is they just truly don't get it.

When a game releases, if you want to evaluate its health... you are going to want to look at the kind of feedback it is getting, and to what degree.  These are things that analysts evaluate... they don't sit there and just mindlessly call every negative post a troll, or every positive post fanboism. 

A month after swtor launched, you could look at the forums... you knew exactly what was happening to the game, if you understood market trends..... and the same happened with d3.  It is about the way the games are getting blasted, and what sorta complaints are had... gw2 is suffering the same types of complaints to the same degree. 

Sit there oversimplifying things, thinking that negative feedback on a large scale doesn't do anything against a game... gluck in lalaland. 

Originally posted by lizardbones

Oh yeah? Well, what if MoP releases, breaks records and has no impact on GW2? Huh? Betcha didn't think about THAT, did you!

Lol... don't care about WOW"s impact on GW2 because i can play both. I am just amazed how some people just never learn and keep doing same old routine every time new WOW expansion is about to be released.

Bite Me

Only morons claim wow is dead.

Past it's best? that's a different matter.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Nitth

The problem here is they have orchestrated it in such a way that this number will ever decline. "2million units sold" 90% of the population could leave and it still would be "2 million units sold"

I personally think there is a hard ceiling to this game, Where everyone who wanted to play it, did.

That's the beauty of the system, it always looks good.

Really longterm it's down to the CS and how rapidly they can bring out Expansions and charge for them.

2million though is far below what the diehards claimed it would sell, that's the only thing really confirmed.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

WoW has had to compete with many other games in china, gw2 is just another medium sized fish in the pond.  China has so many people, and so many different games that never make it to the west...  Blizzard is used to the competition there, and anet would probably be more worried about how it will fare vs the other games over there, instead of trying to take a chunk out of wow. 

I personally believe that gw2 in its current state will not do well in china... it may sell a lot of boxes due to hype and curiosity, but the game is way too easy with a severe lack of content, that chinese gamers will consume within days. 

Just to point out that much of GW2 content is far harder than WoWs so if GW2 is too easy why does that explain how WoW does well in China .

WoW has the easiest pve content in any mmo I've ever played and I've played most .

I have to ask have you actually played much of Guild Wars 2 content ? because I have my doubts from that statement .