Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Story progression blows!

13»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Celusios
    Originally posted by Vesavius

All i'm saying is I'd love the ability to do my story and just move on to Mists. I do not care at all for world completetion. Is that so bad?

Actually, in truth, it isn't.

I don't see why they shouldn't allow this. I get not everyone wants to play the PvE maps, and that's fine.

Can you not just level up in WvW until you are at the right level for your personal story chapters though? Does the game force you to do those maps?

I wish they would have an option to just do my story and be done. I don't have to level to 80 from it all and am fine with just being scaled up to the level each time (with some better stats to actually fight of course).

I use to level up from this, I would follow the caravans and get 2kXP every like 4 minutes. It was a flawless way to level, until they fixed it. Thats when I just gave up on the game, i'm not going to farm the same events over and over. Sure they're interesting at first but the lack of XP each one gives leaves me just farming them.

I think upscaling for the story is a valid suggestion and one you should put to ANet.

For folks that don't enjoy the hearts it would be ideal.

Is it not viable for you to play the WvW as it stands now though and level to each chapter through that? That way you would not be forced to engage with the hearts or events if you chose not to.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by xpiher

> After you finish it you look for the next story to find you have to gain 3 levels to do it.

I  haven't ran into this problem. Then again, I've been zone completing inbetween stories. 

Same here, exploring all over, debatin where to go next and in between trying to not forget I've already reached a few more levels than required for the personal story. World completion will take longer than the trip to 80.

imageimage
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I personally don't mind the gap between story.  I think most MMOs have this to some extent.  Also, while the storyline is a bit dull for the most part (or at least Human up to 30), I find it much better than some of the titles in the past (WAR, Tera, to name a few).  Sure it may not meet the standards set by TOR, i prefer it to a quest wall of text.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    I like the story, and I do it in groups of 4-5, lvl 61 atm with main. If the story matches my current lvl or is a bit over, I just go and clear an entire map. I guess if you really don't like exploring the maps, and see the game as a hassle to find experience via quests and DEs, then you would probably be finished within a couple of hours via story alone - and for me the game wouldn't even be worth that price. Exploring, harvesting, and crafting = experience too... daily kills and daily harvesting = good exp. Running dungeons = good experience too :)
  • HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Robsolf
    Originally posted by Homitu
    Originally posted by Robsolf

I've been kinda curious as to how the story "tree" maps out; it's not 100% obvious to me as of yet.

1-10th level seems to be based on your race.

10-20 seems to be based on how you answered a question about your past:  "passed up the opp to join the circus", "lost a fight to a rival", etc.

20-30 is this race again?

30+  seems based on your faction, Order of Whispers, for example.

Of course, you still have choices which alter those quests significantly, but am I right in that once you hit 30 and choose a faction, you'll be playing 1 of 3 options regardless of your race, class, or questions at CC?  Or are there 1 of 3 options for each race or some other factor?  I only have 1 character over lvl 30 so I'm not sure. 

From what I can tell:  

Thanks, Homitu!  That's the info I was looking for. 

That would make sense for what I've experienced so far.  While a hugely branched set of stories from beginning to end would have been cool, at least in this case you could reroll and play out the other decisions without having to completely level.

Yeah, really it feels like you can play levels 1-20 six times per race (3 stories, twice each to check out the different choice options you're asked to make) for a total of 30 unique experiences.  

Levels 20-30 twice per race to check out each Order choice you're faced with, for a total of 10 unique experiences.  

Levels 30-50 twice per faction choice to try the various path choices within each faction, for a total of 6 unique experiences.  Though the characters you encounter will vary by race, so this will offer even more variety for these levels.  The characters during this phase were some my personal favorites.  

After that, however, it seems the story is relatively the same for everyone of every race, aside from the choices you face that determine your next mission.  So levels 50-80 seem like they will have 2 uniqueish experiences.  

There's definitely some good replay value if you enjoy the personal story, although I'd say not nearly as much as Anet has made it out to seem.  I think stuff from 60-80 will start to feel really redundant/grindy to me even by time my second character gets there.  But that's what crafting is for!

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I think upscaling for the story is a valid suggestion and one you should put to ANet.

For folks that don't enjoy the hearts it would be ideal.

Is it not viable for you to play the WvW as it stands now though and level to each chapter through that? That way you would not be forced to engage with the hearts or events if you chose not to.

The biggest obstacle is that they're the one place in the game where you get items as quest rewards.  Though TBH, I'd be happy if they'd just give cash and karma, instead.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I thought the story on my Charr warrior was crap.  I ended up skipping the dialog pretty quickly.  The actual fighting in them is fine though.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Oh, for sure. I hope I am not coming across that I think you hate it or anything. I just think some of the language used was a tad dramatic is all. No offense meant.

Like I say, I understand your perspective and why you have it, even if I don't necessarily share it.

'Grind' is just doing something you do not personally enjoy I guess.

I guess I do feel a little strongly about it. 

Why such a heavy emphasis was placed on these types of quests? In essence, we are paying money to be entertained by doing things that suck in real life. People are paid minimum wage to do these tasks. They are not fantasy, they exist in real life, people do have to do them as part of their real life jobs and in real life, they are not particularly  enjoyable jobs. I'm left wondering......What's the draw?

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219

Which mentally incapacitated human being came up with the idea to put single player content into a multiplayer game?

there seems to be a trend and the last game which had this feature fucked up royally.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Thralia

Which mentally incapacitated human being came up with the idea to put single player content into a multiplayer game?

there seems to be a trend and the last game which had this feature fucked up royally.

I'm all for MMOs intruducing single player content into the games. But it should be there to support the online experience. Not dominate it. It should be an option available to players to persue when their friends aren't online, or while they are waiting for other group contnet. or what have you. But yeah, I agree with this overall.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I agree with OP.  I don't like how the story is "paused" and you need to catch up in between levels.  I guess i'm spoiled by swtor. lol.
  • LifeEnderLifeEnder Member UncommonPosts: 45
    the only thing grindy about this game is the crafting. Before anyone says anything about karma , its hardly a grind , all you have to do is get a hit in at a DE and you have karma. OP is a whiner and can't grasp the games fundamentals.
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

I would like to make this thread not to bash the game and call it a horrible title but to bring to light this certain topic to players (who like myself) enjoy progressive leveling that follows the storyline. 

In Guild Wars 2 you will find that the story is great... I mean it's personal and is constantly affected by the decisions you make. The cutscenes and conversations (voice acted) that are had real make you feel immersed in your character. However, these great story moments can only be done so often. To break down the system of how it works....

> You do a 5-10 minute story mission which is amazing and filled with stuff to do. During it there is several cutscenes, conversations, decisions, fights, etc.

> After you finish it you look for the next story to find you have to gain 3 levels to do it.

Now this wouldn't be so bad if this game was not a complete grindfest. With a lack of a "quest" system so to speak you are forced to then run around the map(s) and find any event or heart that you can (given your level can do it). This can take several hours in the higher levels (I'm only level 42 and I average a level or so every hour to hour and a half). When you finally get to the desired level you go to your quest and find.. oh hey another 5-10 minute mission. You easily complete this and enjoy every moment until it's done.

Now completed you're told to go to another location that... oh no surprisingly you have to be 3 levels higher. It's very tiring and has led to me just quitting the game. Again, this thread is not meant to bash the company as the title is by far one of the most successful of the decade (in terms of selling). I am simply warning those of you who are not into having to search non stop for any little event to level up 3 times per 5-10 minutes of your story.

Only reason I feel this was needed was that they would run out of story very quickly and then storys would either merge very very fast or it would of taken them much longer to make.

But besides that, I think that story mode sucked more for the fact of missing information.

Idk about you, but there was a lot of gaps in my story that were not really answered, nor did I actually do them.

There was at least 1 item that magically appeared much later in the story that I never obtained (but was praised for getting it apparently) and a person that was captured and killed (not stating which one to keep away from spoilers) that I have never met in my life. Not only that but the person I have never once met in my life who died, I threw a great reception for them, praising them for... who the fuck knows because I don't know them....

Story wasn't per say bad, but I have to admit, the end of it was by far the most disappointing.

*honest spoilers*

At the end you get a nice box of 5 epics. All right, but it will be random... but hey who cares EPICS. I can always sell the rest right?

1st item, blue.

2nd, green

3rd, blue

4th blue

5th green.

... epics my ass... but wait it gets better! Not a single one was lvl 80, and one was level 20 green. That is by far the hugest let down of the whole story mode. The worst prize you could of possibly gotten in the end... BAH

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by eggy08

I would like to make this thread not to bash the game and call it a horrible title but to bring to light this certain topic to players (who like myself) enjoy progressive leveling that follows the storyline. 

In Guild Wars 2 you will find that the story is great... I mean it's personal and is constantly affected by the decisions you make. The cutscenes and conversations (voice acted) that are had real make you feel immersed in your character. However, these great story moments can only be done so often. To break down the system of how it works....

> You do a 5-10 minute story mission which is amazing and filled with stuff to do. During it there is several cutscenes, conversations, decisions, fights, etc.

Now this wouldn't be so bad if this game was not a complete grindfest. With a lack of a "quest" system so to speak you are forced to then run around the map(s) and find any event or heart that you can (given your level can do it). This can take several hours in the higher levels (I'm only level 42 and I average a level or so every hour to hour and a half). When you finally get to the desired level you go to your quest and find.. oh hey another 5-10 minute mission. You easily complete this and enjoy every moment until it's done.

Now completed you're told to go to another location that... oh no surprisingly you have to be 3 levels higher. It's very tiring and has led to me just quitting the game. Again, this thread is not meant to bash the company as the title is by far one of the most successful of the decade (in terms of selling). I am simply warning those of you who are not into having to search non stop for any little event to level up 3 times per 5-10 minutes of your story.

Only reason I feel this was needed was that they would run out of story very quickly and then storys would either merge very very fast or it would of taken them much longer to make.

But besides that, I think that story mode sucked more for the fact of missing information.

Idk about you, but there was a lot of gaps in my story that were not really answered, nor did I actually do them.

There was at least 1 item that magically appeared much later in the story that I never obtained (but was praised for getting it apparently) and a person that was captured and killed (not stating which one to keep away from spoilers) that I have never met in my life. Not only that but the person I have never once met in my life who died, I threw a great reception for them, praising them for... who the fuck knows because I don't know them....

Story wasn't per say bad, but I have to admit, the end of it was by far the most disappointing.

*honest spoilers*

At the end you get a nice box of 5 epics. All right, but it will be random... but hey who cares EPICS. I can always sell the rest right?

1st item, blue.

2nd, green

3rd, blue

4th blue

5th green.

... epics my ass... but wait it gets better! Not a single one was lvl 80, and one was level 20 green. That is by far the hugest let down of the whole story mode. The worst prize you could of possibly gotten in the end... BAH

So you're saying the speical prize inside your box of Crackerjacks turned out to be some dead roaches. Fucking fantastic. Oh well, I don't feel too bad about just deciding to skip the whole story quest line after not liking the first two parts then.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by eggy08

*honest spoilers*

1st item, blue.

2nd, green

3rd, blue

4th blue

5th green.

So you're saying the speical prize inside your box of Crackerjacks turned out to be some dead roaches. Fucking fantastic. Oh well, I don't feel too bad about just deciding to skip the whole story quest line after not liking the first two parts then.

Honestly, I wish I stopped at the last quest I got a new back, since thats the only places to get them. Story got really crappy after that. And yes, they took a shit in a bag and lit it on fire, then proceeded to knock on my door and yell "free epicz" and ran off... bastards...

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    The story in GW2 is the worst in any game in recent memory. I've been level 80 for 1.5 weeks and I still can't manage to complete it. It's just so insanely boring. I'm actually shouting out load at my monitor because it's so worthless. The fact that it's optional doesn't mitigate this fact. The story just is so horrendous that it's mere presence in the game makes me sometimes not want to log on. Argh. Feel my frustration at completely talentless writers! Sack them all! Now!....ARGH!
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by thekid1

Funny how my opinion is completely the opposite. I can not stand the personal story and like running around exploring on the map.

I'm now 15 levels behind on my personal story and trying to catch up but I really HATE it.

I see the story as a mixed blessing. I loved the order of whispers story, but the human city rat start was really bad.

Parts of it is actually really fun, I bought a friend to a mission and ended up in a drinking contest with 3 pirates, he got cheering skills while I was drinking. I never done that before in a MMO.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Thralia

As someone who worked 7 1/2 years nightshift (not anymore) I can tell you some stuff you can do by yourself is actually good.

Kinda hard to find someone to play with 7 in the morning after work, and I liked to get in an hour then anyways.

Some singleplayer stuff is fine as long as it is optional. The focus should always be playing with others of course, or I would play a singleplayer game. 

Anyways, it was Blizzards Kaplan that got the idea I think.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by xpiher
    I  haven't ran into this problem. Then again, I've been zone completing inbetween stories. 

While I agree with the OP, this is what I do, too. I really want to move on to the next part of my story, but find myself going to a new zone and getting 100% completion on it. It doesn't feel like a "grind" to me as I am doing new hearts and DEs, finding new Vistas, Skill Points, and Points of Interest, all the while collecting crafting mats. However, everyone defines "grind" personally. I am level 53, by the way.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

I will definitely agree that the story is weak at best. But to say it's a GRINDFEST? Seriously? How long did it take you to get to lev42? I'm an older gamer with a family, so I can't play constantly. I play a couple hours a night, a couple nights a week and maybe a good solid afternoon or so on Saturday and/or Sunday. In the two weeks that the game has been out (I was in early release) I have a 55, a 46, a 25 and several teen chars. Levelling is laughably easy in this game because the levelling doesn't scale like it does in more MMO's.