Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 breaks 2 million units sold

Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Story:  http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=30544

Grats to ANet, I feel like the game is really deserving of its success, and I hope to be playing it and its future expansions for years to come :).

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Or, post in the news thread on the front page of this very website.
  • Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Or, post in the news thread on the front page of this very website.

Blargh, that's what I get for going direct to this forum lol :).

Feel free to delete mods.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Wonderful game, absolutley love the artwork and zone design. My only gripe so far is that I wish it was a bit more challenging.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by laserit
    Wonderful game, absolutley love the artwork and zone design. My only gripe so far is that I wish it was a bit more challenging.

Do an explorable mode dungeon, or go to a place called "Obsidian Sanctum" in the Eternal Battlegrounds :).

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

About what I was expecting.

Shouldn't take long to hit the 3 million mark.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I don't think it will really hit it's stride until around December

I miss DAoC

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Gotta love the spin going in the news thread about this.

It is fun.

- 1 million signups in 48 hours.

Hater spin:

Meh.people signed multiple time, it was free and  tt will never translate into 1 million pre-purchases.

- 1 million pre-purchases and 400K concurrent users.

Meh everyone that wanted to play the gamepre-purchased. It wont sell much more.

- 2 million after 2 weeks and 1 week with digital salles off and almost no units in sotre.

Meh people are leaving the game, soon will be dead, the saviour of MMORPGs should sell more, too casual, to mass market, too niche, no sub can't be profitable,...

Next chapters soon....

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

About what I was expecting.

Shouldn't take long to hit the 3 million mark.

Yeah, it will definitely easily pass 3 million before the end of the year, as predicted.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Every new MMO has 3 peirods of sale life: Inital sales, 2-3 month sales (a lot of people wait until that time for all the bugs to be squashed), and "then the try our game" sales. GW2 and any othe game launched around this time will also get the "holiday sale" bump. So yeah, I think its reasonable to assume GW2 could approach 3mil units sold. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• seridanseridan Member UncommonPosts: 1,202
    Announcing 2mil copies the same day as reactivating sales? It will be fun to watch how many units will sell now. I wonder if the final units sold will pass the 3mil point before the year ends.

Block the trolls, don't answer them, so we can remove the garbage from these forums

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459
    Congratulations.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

Excellent and honestly, no one should be surprised. Over its life the original Guild Wars sold 6 million copies. 

• Paragus1Paragus1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,741
    Even if this game were to fail, it would be hard to monitor it since there are no active subs to count.
  • LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Plus I haven't seen any Tv Ad's for Guils Wars 2 yet maybe a burst of sales coming????
  • caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Not bad anet... farcry from a wowkiller, but not bad... unfortunately it seems like a lot of people are leaving the game though. 
  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    [mod edit]

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Paragus1
    Even if this game were to fail, it would be hard to monitor it since there are no active subs to count.

This is what is important.  Anet doesn't really care about box sales as long as they meet what they expected.   Their main concern is cash shop sales and it should be the main concern of everyone else also.   If cash shop sales slump then players can expect more character enhancement items to creep into the cash shop. 

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by thinktank001

This is what is important.  Anet doesn't really care about box sales as long as they meet what they expected.   Their main concern is cash shop sales and it should be the main concern of everyone else also.   If cash shop sales slump then players can expect more character enhancement items to creep into the cash shop. 

Well that's an interesting spin to put on it, as this thread is about anet announcing a unit sale mark... I think they do care about unit sales. 

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by xpiher
    Every new MMO has 3 peirods of sale life: Inital sales, 2-3 month sales (a lot of people wait until that time for all the bugs to be squashed), and "then the try our game" sales. GW2 and any othe game launched around this time will also get the "holiday sale" bump. So yeah, I think its reasonable to assume GW2 could approach 3mil units sold. 

no it doesn't... look at TSW, they didn't sell nearly enough to be profitable.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Paragus1 Even if this game were to fail, it would be hard to monitor it since there are no active subs to count.

That doesn't make sense on any level.

Every player buys the box to get into the game and they sold 2 million boxes. It's very hard to believe that they don't care about $120 million in revenue.

If they only cared about the cash shop, the box price would be lower, to maximize the number of people who might buy something from the cash shop.

They care about everything involved with the money this game is going to make. The box sales and the cash shop.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

TBH I would say it's the opposite ... It being box sales that interest them more and they are less interested in retention rate since they know only a small % of the player base ever spend $ in the cash shop.

Ofc retention rate is good but box sales + Expack sales is where their money is at , so i doubt they be overly worried if 10 people leave the game as long as 10 other's buy it