Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• TrikkeTrikke Member Posts: 90
    And 1.1 million of those are bots.
  • QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I have done no research so I'm only repeating numebrs that have been thrown around here for years.

If GW2, has currently sold 2M boxes, how many boxes has WoW sold?

If 10M players bought the original game plus 3, now 4 expanisons, we are looking at not 10M boxes but multiples of 10M boxes.

Like what 40M boxes over the years?

It is estimated WoW sold between 60-80 million boxes.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

I have done no research so I'm only repeating numebrs that have been thrown around here for years.

If 10M players bought the original game plus 3, now 4 expanisons, we are looking at not 10M boxes but multiples of 10M boxes.

I was off by a few huh?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

It's a VERY bad estimation. People from Asia does not buy boxes, you got that?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

WoW is estimated at around half of that.  To achieve those numbers they would have had to sell 15-20million boxes of the original, and then every expansion after that would have had to sell the exact same amount. 

Originally posted by IceAge

But the pc cafes they play from buy boxes...

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Lunch time, I think.  Can I sell anybody a t-shirt?

The "fanboy" on one side and "hater" on the reverse is quite popular today.

Ew I want 2 of them. Do you have the one of the Guardian and the Paladin shaking hands? That is my favorite!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Lethality
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

define 'ever'....

Let's put it this way... even after everyone tires of WoW,  because the game is so good and has so many fans, it will never, ever get lower than 2-3 million subscribers... ever.

Guild Wars 2 is just selling boxes, there's no way to measure the number of "players" and it's doubtful ArenaNet will ever need to report that since it has nothing to do with financials. So we'll never know how many people are playing.  

For example, I bought it, but I've already uninstalled it.

Sorry WoW only has 3-4 million subs across NA and EU.  The rest of WoW's subs are from penny an hour internet cafes in Asia.

Nope.

Sure they do. 

Originally posted by caetftl

WoW is estimated at around half of that.  To achieve those numbers they would have had to sell 15-20million boxes of the original, and then every expansion after that would have had to sell the exact same amount. 

Not to mentionate the : Battlechests, promotions, off-sale, scroll of resurect which lets you upgrade your wow account to cataclysm only if you return and pay the monthly fees of 15$ and so on..

So box sales it's not = to 60$

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    I must of got that wrong then, I remember reading that estimate from a reputable website.  Regardless, they've sold a crap load.

Sure they do. 

Pleadse read my previous reply and link proofs please, that Asian ( China and S. Korea )  players from i-caffe ( which are the majority ) are buying Boxes!

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Unfortunately, because of the nature of b2p games, anet can sorta mask how many active users it has. 

You mean like Blizzard did with D3 until someone discovered that they lost 60% of their players all at once? and then the community confronted Blizzard and they suddenly started working on making D3 content and fixes for the nonsensical combat situations. Interesting huh.

Besides, that's not happening with GW2 considering the game is barely 2 weeks old. No issues there and they have just restarted selling digital copies :)

If you say so i mean after all you are such a credible source of information.

Bite Me

Sure they do. 

Pleadse read my previous reply and link proofs please, that Asian ( China and S. Korea )  players from i-caffe ( which are the majority ) are buying Boxes!

It's not about the box, its about the license. That's what "box" means in the biz, YOU GOT THAT?

Originally posted by Nikkita

Unfortunately, because of the nature of b2p games, anet can sorta mask how many active users it has. 

You mean like Blizzard did with D3 until someone discovered that they lost 60% of their players all at once? and then the community confronted Blizzard and they suddenly started working on making D3 content and fixes for the nonsensical combat situations. Interesting huh.

Besides, that's not happening with GW2 considering the game is barely 2 weeks old. No issues there and they have just restarted selling digital copies :)

Oh...but you are, right?

Sure they do. 

It's not about the box, its about the license. That's what "box" means in the biz, YOU GOT THAT?

Oh, you are so full of you! Since when license is what "box" means in a biz heh? Care to .. elaborate a bit? And no , i DID NOT GOT THAT! You must be ...ah, can't tell bad thinks of you here :) But you definetly deserve a .. slap :)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

If the game, in its 8 or so years of existence, had perfect retention and absolutely no acquisition after the first year then you'd be right. It would also be the most extreme anomaly ever to happen in the sale of any service ever offered in the entire history of mankind... and, yes, that includes prostitution. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Nikkita

Oh...but you are, right?

Did you see me making any asnine claims? i am pretty neutral when it comes to future prediction. 

Bite Me

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Four0Six

They should since GW2 doesn't really have subscribers....

I think in the end they will sell almost as many boxes as WoW has subs, especially if their expansions are good.

it can go both ways..

WoW has 9 million people WILLING to pay the monthly fee..

The question is will people continue to buy and play GW2 long term as opposed to a couple months.

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

1st of, gw2 doesn't have "subscribers"...

2nd. that's a long time, even so gw2 showed in 2 weeks what it can manage. Perhaps it'll bypass wow in that "ever" time :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88

Gz Anet

I hope they do really well cause they deserve it for a job well done .

So that future devs learn a lesson and stop feeding people crap .

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by korent1991

2nd. that's a long time, even so gw2 showed in 2 weeks what it can manage. Perhaps it'll bypass wow in that "ever" time :D

More like one week, since digital sales were halted a week.

Originally posted by korent1991

There is no evidence to suggest gw2 will grow the same way wow did, let alone the fact that wow achieved those numbers and is the reason gaming is mainstream, they set the new standard as far as being #1 in financial success in mmos. 

GW2 is more closely follwing the pattern of swtor... 2million sales after a while... lots of people leaving the game.... on swtor's side it was subscription so they did make some monthly fees... on gw2's side it has a cash shop and a much lower production cost. 

Furthermore, it is silly to use the fact that they disabled their own website digital sales after a week, as a positive thing.  They did that because they were already struggling with server stability and lag with less than 2million players.  They wanted to fix some things before they let more people buy from their site directly... it does not mean there were 1trillion people waiting to buy the game from their site... if they wanted the game badly enough there were other ways to attain it.. their initial monster wave of sales had already taken place (prepurchases + first week)
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    ... and, yes, that includes prostitution. 

Can we speculate about which (hookers or gaming companies) has the more honest marketing?

(i.e. which is in most desperate need of fanboy support.)

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    How do we know the population in gw2 is dropping? I don't think that is the case is it?

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    How do we know the population in gw2 is dropping? I don't think that is the case is it?

A lot of people are blasting the game... to the same degree that games like swtor or d3 were blasted... that is never a good sign for retention.