Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Lunch time, I think.  Can I sell anybody a t-shirt?

The "fanboy" on one side and "hater" on the reverse is quite popular today.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Its almost as if 'holding' on purchases was a cleaver marketing ploy to draw more attention and allow this to happen far easier...

Hmm oh wait... 

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

More will come, give it time.

Its not for everyone but it is certainly a solid game... but I prefer pvp content, if I was playing strictly for pve I prob wouldnt have bought it.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358

Unfortunately, because of the nature of b2p games, anet can sorta mask how many active users it has. 

A few months from now it would be interesting to see their max concurrent over a 1month span at that time. 

Instead I have a feeling they will only ever talk about total box sales.  2million is great, not the best, but more successful than 90% of the other big name titles.  Not really comparable to p2p games that sell similar numbers of boxes + have subscription revenue though. 

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

If you are going to compare apples to apples, then we have 2 metrics. Concurrent users and/or Boxed sales...

To me, as an online game, the best metric is how many people are currently playing it?...

How about we look at this like "Hey! I got options now! As a gamer, I can go play WoW. OR I can go play GW2 Or I can play both". Doesn't it make sense to have many successful titles? Instead of looking for a game that will finally down the giant? If you don't play the giant, and there is another succesful game that works for you.....In all seriousness, Why do you care?

I'm glad GW2 sold 2M and WoW will sell it's millions. It proves the genre isn't dead and there are examples of success so we can keep looking forward to studios investing in these games.

Exactly!

Exactly again! - and don't forget Storm Legion! (I thought for sure you would have mentioned RIFT)

And with this I think you've demostrated to much sense, logic, and positive insight for MMORPG forums ;D

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by caetftl

Unfortunately, because of the nature of b2p games, anet can sorta mask how many active users it has. 

Why?  Are you an investor?  In what possible way does this affect you? 

Originally posted by Badaboom

Well it allows certain people to put certain spins on the health of the game. 

Whereas we should always strive to be objective and deal with facts and evidence. 

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

Whereas we should always strive to be objective and deal with facts and evidence. 

Oh I see.  So who is the "expert" offering up the prognosis?

Oh I see.  So who is the "expert" offering up the prognosis?

Who knows, certainly not the guy getting defensive for anet, towards the FACT that they can hide their active user numbers...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Stx11

If you are going to compare apples to apples, then we have 2 metrics. Concurrent users and/or Boxed sales...

To me, as an online game, the best metric is how many people are currently playing it?...

How about we look at this like "Hey! I got options now! As a gamer, I can go play WoW. OR I can go play GW2 Or I can play both". Doesn't it make sense to have many successful titles? Instead of looking for a game that will finally down the giant? If you don't play the giant, and there is another succesful game that works for you.....In all seriousness, Why do you care?

I'm glad GW2 sold 2M and WoW will sell it's millions. It proves the genre isn't dead and there are examples of success so we can keep looking forward to studios investing in these games.

Exactly!

Exactly again! - and don't forget Storm Legion! (I thought for sure you would have mentioned RIFT)

And with this I think you've demostrated to much sense, logic, and positive insight for MMORPG forums ;D

Rift works perfectly into this example, But unless the expansion brings sales at least back or close to it's original sales mark, I just kinda wanted to avoid the "Rift only has 7 servers" canned response.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Preacher26

More will come, give it time.

Its not for everyone but it is certainly a solid game... but I prefer pvp content, if I was playing strictly for pve I prob wouldnt have bought it.

That's exactly why i bought it. being an avid pve player, they've solved in one game problems found in games made by companies with extremely large revenues from subscriptions who've never taken the time to update basic mechanics to make their game pve environment more player friendly.

Seriously, it's no gush when i tell you, that every problem I've had is gone. Love this new mmo home.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    They only have to increase this by 500% and they will match D3. Go go go!!
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

You mean like Blizzard did with D3 until someone discovered that they lost 60% of their players all at once? and then the community confronted Blizzard and they suddenly started working on making D3 content and fixes for the nonsensical combat situations. Interesting huh.

Besides, that's not happening with GW2 considering the game is barely 2 weeks old. No issues there and they have just restarted selling digital copies :)

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Lethality
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Grats Anet! I wonder how many people are actually playing.

They'll never tell us, that's the problem.

http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=30544

"The 400,000 concurrent player record set over the headstart weekend has been repeatedly matched in the first two weeks of the game's life. Considering that ArenaNet suspended sales of the game to ensure server limits were not taxed beyond the sanctity of player enjoyment, the figures are quite astonishing."

We'll see if they keep announcing things going forward. We'll also see if Blizzard ever releases NA/EU-only Sub Numbers.

Concurrent is different that players. They need to provide a definition of "active players" to determine how popular the game is.

Blizzard has already defined subscribers.  

Plus let's see it a year, not 2 weeks in. Hell, even 2 weeks after launch, TOR looked like a blockbuster.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge

Speculation? You made me smile :) I readed somewhere ( can't find it, but I will if you want ) , that WoW subs numbers are 60% in Asia and 40% EU/NA . In 2008 it was around 50-50% , but STILL , if it's 50-50 , from a total of 9 mil subs ( http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-subscriptions-slip-to-91-million-6389957 ) it will be around 4.5 mils ! But I will try to find that link where it's says that WoW EU/NA has 40% from the total of subs ok? :)

Sure, find the out of date article.  Or keep with your guesses based on percents that may or may not still be accurate.

Make sure if you do find an article, that it has a date on it.

The article was writen when Vivendi said that they are looking to sell Activision-Blizzard stocks, and that means, this year! But I can't really remember where did I read it! But still , even if can't find it, the 50-50% remains ok? Which means 4.5 mils ( which I don't believe )  subs in EU/NA before the release of GW2! So, speculation speaking, WoW subs in EU/NA is no more then  .. 3-4 mils as we speak! Can go back to his 4.5 ( which it will never happen , again speculation speaking ) when MOP releases.

So if I'm understanding you correctly, even though you can't find the article, you're asserting it as 'fact'. And THEN you say you don't believe the 'fact' you're making up out of thin air.

Cool.

And then I said I don't believe in facts? It's a big difference to come with facts , and a very big difference to make "facts" for the sake of making them.

I did not found that link but I will keep looking. Anyway, fine .. because blizzard did not release any other informations about regional subscriptions since 2008 , and that I am not *right* to make "facts" because a company does not release such informations , WoW last subscription base was around 9 mil ok? Taking the proofs which we have them from back in 2008, the EU/NA has a 50% from the total amount of players right? That makes 4.5 mils!

Now let's compare an 8 years old game, which has 4.5 millions of players , with GW2, a 2 weeks released game , which sold 2 mil boxes in 2 weeks and .. see the difference, ok?

Don't know why people will just bash everything on GW2 ! In fact , I am a supporter of Blizzard, ANet and any other game companys I like! I never posted about other games beside the ones I was or I am playing! Why some of you need to bash a game you have never played? More so, making "wierd" comments on the company which created it?!

Blizzard it's a winner for me ! I own SC1, SC2, WoW, W3 , D2 and D3 good games.

ANet it's also a winner for me! I own GW and GW2!

What I hate it's people making comments for the sake of making them!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    they did well.

Or... did they?  Do we know their development costs or their operating costs compared to how much they've earned?

They did and they do.

Dev cost above 50m and well below 100. Of the first 2 mil sales it is a close to a 55/45 split between high yield online sales and low yield box'es.

No you cannot have a link. (And no, I am not in the least bothered how you project on that). You may however google all you want and do the math yourself.

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

It may be the only number that really matters.  But it's the one number no marketing dept. will ever release.

Think we can get Blizzard (or any other game company) to cough up accurate numbers?  Not just 'how many subscriptions including overseas players at different rates'--how many faces, actually in the game, live, at time X on day Y.

It's much smaller than the sub numbers they (used to while still growing) pitch around, certainly, for any game company.  It's what Xfire (attempts) to do, with dubious success.

Naw--multi-accounts--impossible to count anyway, even if every gaming corporation had a sudden attack of honesty at precisely the same time. 

Never mind.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Grats Anet! I wonder how many people are actually playing.

They'll never tell us, that's the problem.

http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=30544

"The 400,000 concurrent player record set over the headstart weekend has been repeatedly matched in the first two weeks of the game's life. Considering that ArenaNet suspended sales of the game to ensure server limits were not taxed beyond the sanctity of player enjoyment, the figures are quite astonishing."

We'll see if they keep announcing things going forward. We'll also see if Blizzard ever releases NA/EU-only Sub Numbers.

Concurrent is different that players. They need to provide a definition of "active players" to determine how popular the game is.

Blizzard has already defined subscribers.  

Plus let's see it a year, not 2 weeks in. Hell, even 2 weeks after launch, TOR looked like a blockbuster.

That statement it's the only good one that you've made since you start ... commeting on this article. Let's see it a year from now!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Said it before, and will say it again 3 million by the end of the year and 4-5 million within a year.

GW2 is the next incarnation of an amazing game experience with truely unlimited lasting appeal for the moderate to casual gamer base (or the die hard PvP'er).  For those with voracious apetites and the free time to play this game might not be for you.  I hear there are folks with full exotic and have completed 100% map but for those gamers nothing "new" will ever be good enough and it might behoove them to return to some old MMO and play such as WoW.  For me and mine GW2 offers alot of replayablity.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    Hooray! I picked a winner to play!  Arenanet, and I, sure showed up all the doubters.  Unless Warcraft picks up steam, then it will be me and Blizzard showing up all the doubters.
  • roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

You do realise there is no subscription to Guild Wars 2 .

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

define 'ever'....

Let's put it this way... even after everyone tires of WoW,  because the game is so good and has so many fans, it will never, ever get lower than 2-3 million subscribers... ever.

Guild Wars 2 is just selling boxes, there's no way to measure the number of "players" and it's doubtful ArenaNet will ever need to report that since it has nothing to do with financials. So we'll never know how many people are playing.  

For example, I bought it, but I've already uninstalled it.

Sorry WoW only has 3-4 million subs across NA and EU.  The rest of WoW's subs are from penny an hour internet cafes in Asia.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Is a B2P game, Like BF3 or D3. Lot of people brought the game and quit a few days after or is not even playing, it could sell 3 mill of copies and have less than 200k active players after a month.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I have done no research so I'm only repeating numebrs that have been thrown around here for years.

If GW2, has currently sold 2M boxes, how many boxes has WoW sold?

If 10M players bought the original game plus 3, now 4 expanisons, we are looking at not 10M boxes but multiples of 10M boxes.

Like what 40M boxes over the years?

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Is a B2P game, Like BF3 or D3. Lot of people brought the game and quit a few days after or is not even playing, it could sell 3 mill of copies and have less than 200k active players after a month.

True. I bought GW1, played it for about a month, then never played it again.  I wonder how many may do the same with GW2.