Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2- my opinion

As the gaming industry moves forward, new titles continue to change the genre and mold it into the form it is today. Way back when, MMOs retained very little significance in the market, until the introduction of World of Warcraft, a genre changing game boasting new implementationsand ideas to drive the genre and their sales foward to become the most populated MMO for several years running. Now, many MMOs have come and gone, from great games like Rift, to mediocre like SWTOR, to plain sucking like Hello Kitty Online. Now, todays MMO market has witnessed the release of a new MMO, which seeks out new ways to implement new/ old ideas, different theories, and insert a broad range of content, GW2. The game holds a promising future, and gives the genre so long dominated by one game a possibly different approach to MMOs.

The game holds many simple charms. Just looking at the world, one will behold a completely different artstyle, one that I personally like. The maps are clear, the indivisualism of each zone gives it culture and life, with towns that really look like towns, to large jungles that look like jungles. Enviroments look as they should, and you can immediately tell where you are and how you got there immediately. While many say they dislike zones due to loading screens, I owuld rather have that than looking at some far away still loading sky as an "open world". Bwing able to see the huge landscapes from the top of a mountain is wonderful, and not having to deal with a slow receding grayness is incredibly enjoyable. However, I did often fine myself getting lost, and unsure of how to get somewhere. Sure I knew where I was, but the maze of objects and the multiple stories is really confusing. Look at "The Grove". It took me mch longer to find the Armour repair than I would have liked, even though once I found him/her I was happy. Dynamic Events are also hrd to find often times. When a person (no matter how wonderful and great it is) comes running uo to you asking for help, you don't always know where to go from there becuase the circle will dissapear  sometimes. Also, I do not always see them on the Mini map.

Since I am on the topic of Dynamic Events, I will say I give them a 8/10. They are very fun and actually quite repetable imo, but still lack that truly grand scale I am looking for. Aother problem is the zerg that forms when one appears, beats the event in 3 seconds, then everyone just leaves until another one comes along. In normal MMOs, "quest hubs" offered a place where a community could settle and work together from there, often forming groups. However, there is a brightside to the lack of Quest Hubs. It allows you to explore. To see the world, and experience all the little things. I met a stranger who found a hidden cave (it is a secret) in the Syvari zone, but neither of us could really complete it. So, we randomly joined two more people, and we each reached the end after solving several puzzles. This demonstrated that the Community, while quiet, is helpful. It also showed that GW2 does have some Zelda like puzzles, so if you are a puzzle fan, hopefully you will find more caves like this. Back to DEs, the boss events are definantly lacking in newer zones, if not in all zones. People sit back a simly hammer, rez the one person out of 30 who dies, then continue on. It is kind of boring, but can easily be fized as the population spreads and numbers a changed in the coding for DEs. Everyone knows rezing and loot sharing is already great, so I wont comment on it for the sake of saving time. Another issue is the alck of a real tutorial. I mean, I knew how to play the game, but it took me till lvl 20 to even find the crafting people, and I still don't know where to go from there. They need a much more informative tutorial, one that tells you to do it or else instead of having random boxes pop up that I have to X out becuase I am fighting a giant centaur raid on a fort. I am not going to look at that when I am fighting. Please fix this.

The personal sotry is very interesting. How it is a downside, I do not know. It is very good, but when it comes to the events, they are disspointing. Like when I am supposed to sneak in a Nightmare place, but somehow I am always found out. I also find there is a lack of urgency often times, like in GW1 Prophecies, where the Charr are coming and you have to push them back, with Rurik. The music, the enviroment, the Charr, they all fit the event. But in the Sylvari storyline, I don't see that. The Nightmare court has done nothing to me personally so why should I care? The story itself is great, the twists and turns make evn Bioware jealous. But I do agree that it vcould have been done a little better. Another small issue I find is the random hard/easiness. Like one will be just wtfpwning you and another will be like hitting baby seals in the face. The lore in the game is a 10/10, with NPCs everywhere giving you information on what is happening, tons of small stories fitting together as one giant web.

Finally there is PvP. Addicting, fun, hectic, heartracing, it is a great thing all together. WvWvW is a blast, tearing down the competition (assuming you have any that day :P) is enjoyable. However, I do find a distubing lack off Teleporting. I do not want mounts, however I would enjoy maybe 2 more points on the map where I can teleport. It is annyoing to see the only other place I can go without having to Que up is contested over half the time, hich I still don't even understand, so I have to walk all the way down, die to a zerg, then do it over again. At the moment, WvWvW is dominated by lvl 80s an zerging, which isn't really enjoyable for the lowly noob. But, it will get better, I promise as the game goes on. Normal PvP is also very fun. However, I find less people... gloating. I would like more awards like exp. for lvling or something rather than just mindlessly doing it over and over again. In Gw1, the random zone was filled with talkers. However, I believe becuase the metagame is so fast, PvP is a silent quick show. Maybe if Anet makes the time clock SLOWER people will be more willing to say "YAY WE WIN" or "HEY RES ME" or even "THAT WAR IS SO ANNOYING" instead of silence... there just isn't enough time to, which I think will be a huge downer when it comes to Esports becuase games like Starcraft people ALWAYS talk and say gl hf, while in Gw2 there is only 5 seconds to do anything >.<, even change your build. The communtiy overall is incredibly nice, which is psuhed by the game mechanics itself. This game is definantly worth a 95 in my book, and many of the issues can easily or will eventually be fixed.

Than you,

King Jiggly

Comments

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

WALL OF TEXT...

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

WALL OF TEXT...

Better than saying "OMG THIS GAMEZ IZ AMSING DAWG SDLA SDI JIFSB !" and starting a troll vs fanboy fight.

• raven222raven222 Member Posts: 88

I have to agree with u GW2 is a step forward , it has it's problems but it still is a very enjoyable game at least for me so far.

Hopefully more and more devs will start creating new games like that and us MMO players will have a larger pool of nice games to play.

Have a nice day.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Why did you not post this in the GW2 forums?
    Originally posted by thinktank001

oops.

Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by thinktank001

oops.

Can I change it or do maods have to? Sorry I am newer at this lol.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

It sure looks like a step forword. Combat is very old. The enemy that can turn on a dime?.. Lol I thought that was long gone.. they brough it back. Armor and alot of weapons.. I look the same at lvl 20 that I did at lvl 5. I cant find anything other then blue, green and white. They all look the same. But..but this is to be expected for its free to play. Being able to buy a lvl 80 and making myself look like that at 20 is AWESOME! 

So I really hope other MMO's now will change. How we are not paying monthy for this.. 

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I logged into these forums to complain about GW2 and then I see this . ... meh lol

The real question is, how do I get motivated to play this game when all the PVP I've experienced so far was 5vsME or chasing rotating capturing circle things? And now I can't enjoy playing the first one as much when everyone has moved to the second.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Originally posted by Zeblade

It sure looks like a step forword. Combat is very old. The enemy that can turn on a dime?.. Lol I thought that was long gone.. they brough it back. Armor and alot of weapons.. I look the same at lvl 20 that I did at lvl 5. I cant find anything other then blue, green and white. They all look the same. But..but this is to be expected for its free to play. Being able to buy a lvl 80 and making myself look like that at 20 is AWESOME! 

So I really hope other MMO's now will change. How we are not paying monthy for this.. 

Unless you got GW2 as a present it most likely wasn't free.....The reason why they don't charge a monthly is that they get their money up front (ie the box price)....Now some companies do both (box price and sub) but nowadays that is really pushing it and has often lead to failure.

• comrademariocomrademario Member Posts: 98

Honestly don't see it as a step forward, more a step to the side and a shuffled up a tiny bit.

A step forward would be if the dynamic events meant anything to the ingame world and people could actually beat their own path with their character. Get a AAA title that does that and we can say it's the future

• GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624

I agree. GW2 is tons of fun and (for the most part) a well crafted game, but it isn't as revolutionary as some people claim.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by DiSpLiFF WALL OF TEXT...
    Better than saying "OMG THIS GAMEZ IZ AMSING DAWG SDLA SDI JIFSB !" and starting a troll vs fanboy fight.

/Praise

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• MisarisMisaris Member Posts: 140

First of all, this belongs to the GW2 section of the site, I am sick and tired to read about GW2GW2GW2 on every section of the freakin goddamn forum. It needs to STOP.  NOW.

Second, let me give my opinion by showing you this review on GW2 I found on youtube and wholeheartly agree with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk-8Iph0PdU&t=18m54s

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

So your big complaint is you dont understand the combat? Or is it the armor? At level 20 you look the same as at level 5? Thats because those levels are pretty damn close really.

Gw2 may not be for you, that fact does not mean the game is bad.

Originally posted by Misaris

First of all, this belongs to the GW2 section of the site, I am sick and tired to read about GW2GW2GW2 on every section of the freakin goddamn forum. It needs to STOP.  NOW.

Second, let me give my opinion by showing you this review on GW2 I found on youtube and wholeheartly agree with:

Sorry, I did not mean at all to put it in General Discussion, as I have said earlier.

Thank you for the video, I always appreciate seeing rage hard trolls on Youtube who doesn't understand why he can't win in PvP (maybe lack of skill?). And seeing that I am sixteen years old, I have to disagree and say I am more professional that that man who very likely lives in his parents basement playing WoW with a Masters in History of Who Gives a ****. Thank you for the insightful and wonderful youtube link. Now, please eleborate on your point...

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

So your big complaint is you dont understand the combat? Or is it the armor? At level 20 you look the same as at level 5? Thats because those levels are pretty damn close really.

Gw2 may not be for you, that fact does not mean the game is bad.

It is a step to the side. It is an entirely new branch of MMO, it would be nearly impossible for most MMOs out there now to do anything like this do to the time required. Maybe the Titan MMO will resemble something of this type, but I doubt it (I expect a updated Minecraft), but this is definantly a new species of MMO, not a evolution of the current.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by comrademario

A step forward would be if the dynamic events meant anything to the ingame world and people could actually beat their own path with their character. Get a AAA title that does that and we can say it's the future

They do and you can, if I'm understanding you right.  Or do you mean that there should be unique one time events?  If that is what you mean, then that is impossible and pointless in a game that has millions of players.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

GW2 is pretty fun but not enough to keep me engaged for long periods of time as I feel its shallow and repetive. Its a pretty good game for what it is.

**Anet has allowed the Raving Rabbid to use double plungers in GW2!**

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29

got this on email and they remove my respond beacuse i just say my opinion !! :

Dear Yazeed,

You have been issued a warning by one of our moderators.

Warning Category: Trolling
    Reason: Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.

This warning was generated from the following post on our discussion forum:

Thread: Guild Wars 2- my opinion
    Below is the content of the post:

------------------------------------------------

I 100% agree with Misaris ....

Consolt kids with fps games think that this game is a new gen. and will made revaltion

do not get me wrong guys but i was wating this game ( gw2 ) from long time and i was think it will introduce the new style and gen. of mmo but to sat it is not even MMO ,, it is a crap dam sh...t game i uninstall gw2 and i am so sad that i spent money on gw2 key beacuse it is realy realy joke

markteing , high light , media and Anet taking so long time and at the end this is the resoult?

crap sh..t you call it new genr? i think Anet should made this game as team vs team or WvW or what u call it from making your toon lvl 80 and full geared ,, make kids and lazy boy like it cus they do not need to work like any other mmo games for the acomplesment , gears , other tools

yeah word called acomplesment did u know about acomplesment , do not tell me it is skill or this sh..t wall about skills cus hiting few skills does not make you skill player

other games like Aion got more skills than gw2 does with more kiting + skills way to kill your foe lol

and there are other games

gw2 is skill game? realy guys u bleive this crap from Anet just beacuse they made u lvl 80 and give same gears? and what? any thing make it realy skill game? lol

you guys still not walking up yet ,, u still in the box of Anet dream and how they ganna make this word perfect

was to much light on this crap game for noting ,, it is same sh..t with less content and i think it is good game for lazy players who did not like to work in mmo games

mmo games u know what is mmo games? or you like other type of games

i am not agnist other type of games but Anet did take MMO games back steps and i think this game did not take a path as MMO or MOBA or fps

do not call this crap a new rev. the mmo

Dear MMORPG.COM how much Anet pay you to do this marking stuff to them :)

bye bye freedom to speech here !

ty for delete my opinion and destroy the freedom of speech

Originally posted by Yazeed

Dear Yazeed,

Reason: Posting excessive negative comments or baiting others to respond in a negative manner is considered trolling on the MMORPG.com forums.

Consolt kids with fps games think that this game is a new gen. and will made revaltion

do not get me wrong guys but i was wating this game ( gw2 ) from long time and i was think it will introduce the new style and gen. of mmo but to sat it is not even MMO ,, it is a crap dam sh...t game i uninstall gw2 and i am so sad that i spent money on gw2 key beacuse it is realy realy joke

markteing , high light , media and Anet taking so long time and at the end this is the resoult?

crap sh..t you call it new genr? i think Anet should made this game as team vs team or WvW or what u call it from making your toon lvl 80 and full geared ,, make kids and lazy boy like it cus they do not need to work like any other mmo games for the acomplesment , gears , other tools

yeah word called acomplesment did u know about acomplesment , do not tell me it is skill or this sh..t wall about skills cus hiting few skills does not make you skill player

other games like Aion got more skills than gw2 does with more kiting + skills way to kill your foe lol

gw2 is skill game? realy guys u bleive this crap from Anet just beacuse they made u lvl 80 and give same gears? and what? any thing make it realy skill game? lol

you guys still not walking up yet ,, u still in the box of Anet dream and how they ganna make this word perfect

was to much light on this crap game for noting ,, it is same sh..t with less content and i think it is good game for lazy players who did not like to work in mmo games

i am not agnist other type of games but Anet did take MMO games back steps and i think this game did not take a path as MMO or MOBA or fps

I am sorry for the deleted post, which unfortunately happened on my thread. However, you do realize that this will only cause a ban? And why would you post it again on MY forum? And you sound like a child commenting about free speech. This site has rules. Simply obey them, and everyone will be happy. Where you broke the rules was under trolling, which states you can not post ths without anything backing it up. After tax slating your post, I must agree with them. All you do is ask questions in a harsh, unnecessary manner that you seem to have the answer to. Please don't make trolls look bad...

• YazeedYazeed Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Yazeed

Dear Yazeed,

I am sorry for the deleted post, which unfortunately happened on my thread. However, you do realize that this will only cause a ban? And why would you post it again on MY forum? And you sound like a child commenting about free speech. This site has rules. Simply obey them, and everyone will be happy. Where you broke the rules was under trolling, which states you can not post ths without anything backing it up. After tax slating your post, I must agree with them. All you do is ask questions in a harsh, unnecessary manner that you seem to have the answer to. Please don't make trolls look bad...

Trolling ???? ask questions that i seem have the answers????

wow realy wow

you know  that one of the way to let people understand your points in a speech is to ask questions even if u have your own answers ?

when i write this it is my opnion

it is not a trolling or jokes

yes my sound looks kinda upset and yes i am upset for spending 70$ and the time i wait on this game

i was realy huge fan of this game and made many friends intresting to come gw2 ( i even help some to pay with my card )

the result made me shocked !

i was expeting more from Anet to give in this game but at the end it is lanuched and we try it and we have the right to say our opinions ( even if some did not like it )

at the part of formus is to discussing and hear both side

i even see gw2 fanboys say to much trolls and bad post in this section with out remove the posts or give them awarrning  ,, why is me not them ?

if my opinions is not feet the rulas here then this formus not for me for sure

any way , i am of to my bed

i feel they will ban me soon ,

have fun all