Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

1568101117

Comments

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Yamota
    How many copies did Diablo 3 sell. Something like 10 million no?

    yes D3 sold 10 million after 2 months

    Blizzard aside, SWTOR was the only mmo to launch in excess of million units

     

    as i posted earler, it took RIFT 4 months to sell 1 million last summer, June 2011

     

     

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge

    I love how some people keeps saying that you can't compare GW2 box sales with WoW 2004 box sales, because hey .. it was 2004 and at that time, it was a different market! But is "FAIR" to compare a 8 years old game, wich they build a huge fun base in this time, with a 2 weeks + old release game.

    Let me tell you when we can compare the 2 games! After one year when GW2 launch world wide, including China, S. Korea ( Asia ) S. America , etc and AFTER they first or next expansion starting from that time.

    What you MAY compare right now, is WoW ( an 8 years old game ) sales in EU/NA with 3-4 mils subs according to Blizzard , and GW2, a 2 weeks old game which already have 2 mil box sales ( NOTE: In this time,they suspended digital sales for 1 week, where we can safely say that in today market, digital copies sales the most )! WoW will not go beyond 3-4 mils , while GW2 , well .. use your imagination.

    People then, will say that WoW has subs, while GW2 not! Well , sorry to tell you, but there are A LOT of players spending $ in the cash shop and at the end of the day, I kinda think that GW2 is making more money then a sub game. However, this is .. speculation ( as many do ), and we can't tell for sure, untill NcSoft release the financial report at the end of the year, or first quarter from the next year!

    Untill then , good job Anet!

    WoW has a cash shop too.

    Oh there you are! The ONLY, think you saw from my post, is about the cash shop! Did you saw what I said? Is speculation and we will find the "true" when NcSoft release the financial report!  But hey , keep ... pushing your non-sens untill then, ok?

    Well I mean, you had a TON of speculation, as you say, in your post.  If you would like me to make up numbers and things too to comment on more of your post, I can be talked into it.  Feel free!

    TON of speculations beside the  .. cash-shop earnings? Please, tell me what other speculations i've been made beside that ! It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years , and that GW2 has already sold 2 mils boxes in 2 weeks, while 1 week digital sales have been put on-hold.

    So please, come with real arguments...

    Digital copies were the most?  Not sure in this case, i don't know if they broke it down by type of sale.

    WoW will not go beyond 3-4 million subs?  Not sure, I can't read into the future, and it's not what I would SPECULATE

    Also your timeframe of when we can compare, is just something you made up there as well.

     

    I just mentioned that WoW has cash shop items as well, but you tell me I'm wrong to only pick that out of your post.  I just didn't think it would be wise to argue so much made up stuff.  I'd be happy to talk about it after NCSoft releases the financial information FACTS, though, or I can just add to the speculation disaster if you'd prefer.  Your call.

    El Psy Congroo

  • nastyjmannastyjman New York, NYPosts: 161Member

    Tengu playable race -- NOW!

    Just kidding. Good job Anet! Keep the adventures coming, and I'll keep playing.

  • ChannceChannce Sacramento, CAPosts: 570Member
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

    WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

    Only because GW2 has no, subscripton.

    When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by Channce
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

    WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

    Only because GW2 has no, subscripton.

    Right, sorry it was just a bad joke lol, only funny because it's true yet it got people all angry :)

    El Psy Congroo

  • rdrpappyrdrpappy Hamilton, OHPosts: 325Member

    Not sure where the 2.2 came from but SWTOR sold 2.4 in the first week, I'm enjoying GW2 as much as any mmorpg, it feels alot like LOTRO and AoC blended together.

    Once Swtor goes F2P I wont at all be surprised to see the number between these two games ballance out, SWTOR has way more content, if they did pvp like GW2 as just a big roaming zerg, GW2 wouldn't even hold a candle to it.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,779Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sadeyx

    I actually find 2.2m to be very poor.

    Diablo3 sold more in the first day.

    Different genre. I'm sure folks could pull numbers for other titles and they would be higher than D3. Point is if you like or hate the game, they did well.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • So what if Diablo 3 sold a lot more. It's DIABLO FRICKEN THREE.
    No matter how you cut it 2 mil is a lot of sales.
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    they did well.

    Or... did they?  Do we know their development costs or their operating costs compared to how much they've earned?

    El Psy Congroo

  • laseritlaserit Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,949Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sadeyx

    I actually find 2.2m to be very poor.

    Diablo3 sold more in the first day.

    Ya Ya sold more in the first day and held my attention for about 6 hours.

    It may of sold 10 million copies, but D3 was a total failure in my eyes and millions of other's I am sure.

    I hope for Blizzard's sake that MoP satisfies their customer base or 2012 might be a costly year for Blizzard.

    "If you make an ass out of yourself, there will always be someone to ride you." - Bruce Lee

  • EvilGeekEvilGeek londonPosts: 1,226Member Uncommon

    Congratulations Anet, well deserved, great game loving it!

    I don't give a monkeys elbow about whose game is selling more, all I care about is that the game I'm loving at the moment is a success, that success means future content additions and expansions, more for me to enjoy :)

    image
  • gessekai332gessekai332 New York City, NYPosts: 877Member Common
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by Nitth

    The problem here is they have orchestrated it in such a way that this number will ever decline. "2million units sold" 90% of the population could leave and it still would be "2 million units sold"

    I personally think there is a hard ceiling to this game, Where everyone who wanted to play it, did.

    Except that is true with every game.

    For instance, "WoW has sold x amount of units". Everyone could stop subbing and they will still have sold "x amount of units'.

    All these numbers show, like every game that is purchased, is intiial interest. And this shows initial interest is high.

    What must be compared going forward are concurrent players.

    No, because this isn't sub based game. since that is not their business model, their success and expectations from investors does not depend on players playing at once. arenanet doesnt care if you play for a month and then drop it for a few months. what is most relevant is that the amount of expansion sales is higher than the initial amount of original guild wars 2 sales.

    Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years

    WoW will not go beyond 3-4 million subs?  Not sure, I can't read into the future, and it's not what I would SPECULATE

     I'd be happy to talk about it after NCSoft releases the financial information FACTS, though, or I can just add to the speculation disaster if you'd prefer.  Your call.

    no offense

    but until Blizzard gives regional breakdowns - its impossible to discuss how many WOW subs are non-eastern

     

    the last time Blizzard announced regional breakdowns was over 5 years ago, Jan 2007

    http://www.neogamr.net/news/world-of-warcraft-passes-8-million-subscriber-mark

    now played by more than 8 million gamers around the world. World of Warcraft has also achieved new regional subscriber milestones, with more than 2 million players in North America, more than 1.5 million players in Europe, and more than 3.5 million players in China.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,779Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    they did well.

    Or... did they?  Do we know their development costs or their operating costs compared to how much they've earned?

    Nope. I just know 2 million is a lot of sales. I play games that companies make. It's their job to do the financial part and if I'm able to play games with my friends and family, they did well.

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In ..Posts: 1,013Member Common
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge

    I love how some people keeps saying that you can't compare GW2 box sales with WoW 2004 box sales, because hey .. it was 2004 and at that time, it was a different market! But is "FAIR" to compare a 8 years old game, wich they build a huge fun base in this time, with a 2 weeks + old release game.

    Let me tell you when we can compare the 2 games! After one year when GW2 launch world wide, including China, S. Korea ( Asia ) S. America , etc and AFTER they first or next expansion starting from that time.

    What you MAY compare right now, is WoW ( an 8 years old game ) sales in EU/NA with 3-4 mils subs according to Blizzard , and GW2, a 2 weeks old game which already have 2 mil box sales ( NOTE: In this time,they suspended digital sales for 1 week, where we can safely say that in today market, digital copies sales the most )! WoW will not go beyond 3-4 mils , while GW2 , well .. use your imagination.

    People then, will say that WoW has subs, while GW2 not! Well , sorry to tell you, but there are A LOT of players spending $ in the cash shop and at the end of the day, I kinda think that GW2 is making more money then a sub game. However, this is .. speculation ( as many do ), and we can't tell for sure, untill NcSoft release the financial report at the end of the year, or first quarter from the next year!

    Untill then , good job Anet!

    WoW has a cash shop too.

    Oh there you are! The ONLY, think you saw from my post, is about the cash shop! Did you saw what I said? Is speculation and we will find the "true" when NcSoft release the financial report!  But hey , keep ... pushing your non-sens untill then, ok?

    Well I mean, you had a TON of speculation, as you say, in your post.  If you would like me to make up numbers and things too to comment on more of your post, I can be talked into it.  Feel free!

    TON of speculations beside the  .. cash-shop earnings? Please, tell me what other speculations i've been made beside that ! It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years , and that GW2 has already sold 2 mils boxes in 2 weeks, while 1 week digital sales have been put on-hold.

    So please, come with real arguments...

    Digital copies were the most?  Not sure in this case, i don't know if they broke it down by type of sale.

    WoW will not go beyond 3-4 million subs?  Not sure, I can't read into the future, and it's not what I would SPECULATE

    Also your timeframe of when we can compare, is just something you made up there as well.

     

    I just mentioned that WoW has cash shop items as well, but you tell me I'm wrong to only pick that out of your post.  I just didn't think it would be wise to argue so much made up stuff.  I'd be happy to talk about it after NCSoft releases the financial information FACTS, though, or I can just add to the speculation disaster if you'd prefer.  Your call.

    About digital copies , we may not say for sure that they sold more through this type of sale, or not, but it's a VERY important factor in today's market. People couldn't find a way to buy GW2 since they put the digital sales on-hold! The only way was to order from a website and/or their local game shop and wait 3-5 days to arrive, while if they had it digital open, well ..

    Well , I really hope you can't be serious that WoW CAN go beyond 3-4 million mark. We are taking the actual reports from over the years and do a simple math.

    My timeframe is perfectly fine. Tell me, is GW2 launched world-wide? You keep comparion WoW subs world wide, but why not wait for GW2 to release world wide and then you can compare the 2 games! Right now , as I said, you CAN compare the EU/NA WoW with GW2, so please feel free to start a comparation on this "think".

    We will definitely talk when NcSoft releases the financial informations! But I am pretty sure that you or others will find a *WAY* to keep .. bashing :)

     

    Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

  • ColdhatezColdhatez Alphen aan den rijnPosts: 15Member

    Only 2 million in 2 weeks? i expected alot more, around 4-8 million in two weeks.

    Look at diablo (not a mmo i know) sold 6 million in the first week or so, and diablo wasn't even as hyped as guildwars 2 is/was.

     

    Bit of a dissapointment.

  • YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Yamota
    How many copies did Diablo 3 sell. Something like 10 million no?

    yes D3 sold 10 million after 2 months

    Blizzard aside, SWTOR was the only mmo to launch in excess of million units

     

    as i posted earler, it took RIFT 4 months to sell 1 million last summer, June 2011

     

     

    You cannot compare subscription based MMOs to non subscription based MMOs. GW 2 should rather be compared with Diablo 3 which is also B2P, RPG and online only.

  • IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In ..Posts: 1,013Member Common
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years

    WoW will not go beyond 3-4 million subs?  Not sure, I can't read into the future, and it's not what I would SPECULATE

     I'd be happy to talk about it after NCSoft releases the financial information FACTS, though, or I can just add to the speculation disaster if you'd prefer.  Your call.

    no offense

    but until Blizzard gives regional breakdowns - its impossible to discuss how many WOW subs are non-eastern

     

    the last time Blizzard announced regional breakdowns was over 5 years ago, Jan 2007

    http://www.neogamr.net/news/world-of-warcraft-passes-8-million-subscriber-mark

    now played by more than 8 million gamers around the world. World of Warcraft has also achieved new regional subscriber milestones, with more than 2 million players in North America, more than 1.5 million players in Europe, and more than 3.5 million players in China.

    Ah, so even more speculation by IceAge

    Speculation? You made me smile :) I readed somewhere ( can't find it, but I will if you want ) , that WoW subs numbers are 60% in Asia and 40% EU/NA . In 2008 it was around 50-50% , but STILL , if it's 50-50 , from a total of 9 mil subs ( http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-subscriptions-slip-to-91-million-6389957 ) it will be around 4.5 mils ! But I will try to find that link where it's says that WoW EU/NA has 40% from the total of subs ok? :)

    Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

  • kadepsysonkadepsyson sun prairie, WIPosts: 1,937Member
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years

    WoW will not go beyond 3-4 million subs?  Not sure, I can't read into the future, and it's not what I would SPECULATE

     I'd be happy to talk about it after NCSoft releases the financial information FACTS, though, or I can just add to the speculation disaster if you'd prefer.  Your call.

    no offense

    but until Blizzard gives regional breakdowns - its impossible to discuss how many WOW subs are non-eastern

     

    the last time Blizzard announced regional breakdowns was over 5 years ago, Jan 2007

    http://www.neogamr.net/news/world-of-warcraft-passes-8-million-subscriber-mark

    now played by more than 8 million gamers around the world. World of Warcraft has also achieved new regional subscriber milestones, with more than 2 million players in North America, more than 1.5 million players in Europe, and more than 3.5 million players in China.

    Ah, so even more speculation by IceAge

    Speculation? You made me smile :) I readed somewhere ( can't find it, but I will if you want ) , that WoW subs numbers are 60% in Asia and 40% EU/NA . In 2008 it was around 50-50% , but STILL , if it's 50-50 , from a total of 9 mil subs ( http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-subscriptions-slip-to-91-million-6389957 ) it will be around 4.5 mils ! But I will try to find that link where it's says that WoW EU/NA has 40% from the total of subs ok? :)

    Sure, find the out of date article.  Or keep with your guesses based on percents that may or may not still be accurate.

    Make sure if you do find an article, that it has a date on it.

    El Psy Congroo

  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Four0Six
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

    WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

     They should since GW2 doesn't really have subscribers....

    I think in the end they will sell almost as many boxes as WoW has subs, especially if their expansions are good.

    If you are going to compare apples to apples, then we have 2 metrics. Concurrent users and/or Boxed sales. Lets compare those instead of 2M people bought GW2 but only 9M play WoW. How many boxes has WoW sold over the years? This includes the expansions? To me, as an online game, the best metric is how many people are currently playing it? Also, how do you determine overlap. How many people are playing both? and who gets to claim those numbers? Here's a better idea. How about we look at this like "Hey! I got options now! As a gamer, I can go play WoW. OR I can go play GW2 Or I can play both". Doesn't it make sense to have many successful titles? Instead of looking for a game that will finally down the giant? If you don't play the giant, and there is another succesful game that works for you.....In all seriousness, Why do you care?

    I'm glad GW2 sold 2M and WoW will sell it's millions. It proves the genre isn't dead and there are examples of success so we can keep looking forward to studios investing in these games.

  • IceAgeIceAge SomeWhere In ..Posts: 1,013Member Common
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by IceAge It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years

    WoW will not go beyond 3-4 million subs?  Not sure, I can't read into the future, and it's not what I would SPECULATE

     I'd be happy to talk about it after NCSoft releases the financial information FACTS, though, or I can just add to the speculation disaster if you'd prefer.  Your call.

    no offense

    but until Blizzard gives regional breakdowns - its impossible to discuss how many WOW subs are non-eastern

     

    the last time Blizzard announced regional breakdowns was over 5 years ago, Jan 2007

    http://www.neogamr.net/news/world-of-warcraft-passes-8-million-subscriber-mark

    now played by more than 8 million gamers around the world. World of Warcraft has also achieved new regional subscriber milestones, with more than 2 million players in North America, more than 1.5 million players in Europe, and more than 3.5 million players in China.

    Ah, so even more speculation by IceAge

    Speculation? You made me smile :) I readed somewhere ( can't find it, but I will if you want ) , that WoW subs numbers are 60% in Asia and 40% EU/NA . In 2008 it was around 50-50% , but STILL , if it's 50-50 , from a total of 9 mil subs ( http://www.gamespot.com/news/world-of-warcraft-subscriptions-slip-to-91-million-6389957 ) it will be around 4.5 mils ! But I will try to find that link where it's says that WoW EU/NA has 40% from the total of subs ok? :)

    Sure, find the out of date article.  Or keep with your guesses based on percents that may or may not still be accurate.

    Make sure if you do find an article, that it has a date on it.

    The article was writen when Vivendi said that they are looking to sell Activision-Blizzard stocks, and that means, this year! But I can't really remember where did I read it! But still , even if can't find it, the 50-50% remains ok? Which means 4.5 mils ( which I don't believe )  subs in EU/NA before the release of GW2! So, speculation speaking, WoW subs in EU/NA is no more then  .. 3-4 mils as we speak! Can go back to his 4.5 ( which it will never happen , again speculation speaking ) when MOP releases.

    Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

  • gravesworngravesworn charleston, WVPosts: 324Member
    Originally posted by Amjoco

    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    they did well.

    Or... did they?  Do we know their development costs or their operating costs compared to how much they've earned?

    Nope. I just know 2 million is a lot of sales. I play games that companies make. It's their job to do the financial part and if I'm able to play games with my friends and family, they did well.

     

    Hi5. This is all we need to be worried about.
  • KuppaKuppa Boulder, COPosts: 3,292Member Uncommon
    Congrats Anet! image

    image


    image

  • Stx11Stx11 West Hills, CAPosts: 415Member
    Originally posted by Lethality
    Originally posted by Foomerang

    Grats Anet! I wonder how many people are actually playing.

    They'll never tell us, that's the problem.

    http://www.guildfans.com/story.html?story=30544

    "The 400,000 concurrent player record set over the headstart weekend has been repeatedly matched in the first two weeks of the game's life. Considering that ArenaNet suspended sales of the game to ensure server limits were not taxed beyond the sanctity of player enjoyment, the figures are quite astonishing."

    We'll see if they keep announcing things going forward. We'll also see if Blizzard ever releases NA/EU-only Sub Numbers.

  • nastyjmannastyjman New York, NYPosts: 161Member
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

    Congratulations Anet, well deserved, great game loving it!

    I don't give a monkeys elbow about whose game is selling more, all I care about is that the game I'm loving at the moment is a success, that success means future content additions and expansions, more for me to enjoy :)

    Amen brother. I don't care if GW2 wins the MMO market, or if WoW remains the undefeated champion. Whatever. If you're having fun, you win. You the player who are enjoying this game wins!

    If you're not having fun with GW2, or forcing yourself to like it, move on and play another MMO. There's ArcheAge and The Repopulation to look forward to, but I'm looking forward with the potential and expansion of GW2's gameplay.

1568101117
Sign In or Register to comment.