Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Amjoco

I'm not seeing the correlation between the two threads. In the first thread she is discussing how others thought 2 million copies wasn't much and the next one you dug out of history is talking about the quality of a game. 

Let us see. Someone posts sales numbers of SWTOR, in his opinion launch number / sales mean nothing. And when GW2 sales numbers are posted, a lot of so called haters are of same stance that GW2 sales of 2 million means nothing. What else do you think people have been saying? 

And where do you think he or she was talking about quality of  SWTOR? that topic was about pre order sales number which he ignored by simply saying 'it means nothing'.

If I stretch it I can kind of see your point of view, but then it fades as quickly as I grasp it. What I do see is that she was right in that SWToR game quality wasn't what it should have been for the pre-orders that were sold. /shrug

Anyway, the point here is GW2 is a high quality game with good intitial sales report, and "Launch numbers have never been a good indicator of whether a game will last".

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Amjoco
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by Badaboom
    Originally posted by Nadia

its selling faster than i expected

i didnt think Guild Wars would sell more than 3 million by the end of this year -- 3 months from launch

On top of that, they had digital sales shut off for a week with a lot of stores sold out.

As harsh a critic as I am of this game I agree with this, let's give it another month or two to see if the shut down caused a little bump in the road.

However since I have to keep my reputation as a GW2 hater intact, while 2 million and counting is an impressive number, I'm still betting (much to my never ending disgust) that MoP's sales numbers are going to roll over these like the Jun Horde.

Man o man! Tardcore did you have sex? You seem to be slipping a bit.  lol

I also agree that MoP will outsell GW2. It is just common sense that many folks will want to continue the WoW adventure.  I will be buying a copy myself!

Lol. A gentleman never discusses such things. Oh, and neither do I.

Don't worry I'm not mellowing out. I feel there are still quite a few good critiques about this game left to argue VEHMENTLY about. I just don't see sales numbers this early on as one of them.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Halandir

Not anywhere near really "popular" and "hyped" games such as the Sims franchise but BIG gratz Anet: Twice the number of Guild Wars at release and you made a wonderful game (again...)

much more,

it took Guild Wars 4+ months to sell 1 million units

http://guildwars.com/events/press/releases/

http://guildwars.com/events/press/releases/pressrelease-2005-09-22.php

its only been 2 weeks :)

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Many of the units were purchased before these two weeks, don't forget :)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Don't worry I'm not mellowing out. I feel there are still quite a few good critiques about this game left to argue VEHMENTLY about. I just don't see sales numbers this early on as one of them.

Interestingly enough, the "Live Team" responsible for the beta weekend events that were so well received and popular haven't been seen nor heard from since launch.

Smoothing out the launch issues, me thinks, but once they are stable/patched enough for the live team to kick into gear, GW2 is going to be a much different feeling game.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

I love how some people keeps saying that you can't compare GW2 box sales with WoW 2004 box sales, because hey .. it was 2004 and at that time, it was a different market! But is "FAIR" to compare a 8 years old game, wich they build a huge fun base in this time, with a 2 weeks + old release game.

Let me tell you when we can compare the 2 games! After one year when GW2 launch world wide, including China, S. Korea ( Asia ) S. America , etc and AFTER they first or next expansion starting from that time.

What you MAY compare right now, is WoW ( an 8 years old game ) sales in EU/NA with 3-4 mils subs according to Blizzard , and GW2, a 2 weeks old game which already have 2 mil box sales ( NOTE: In this time,they suspended digital sales for 1 week, where we can safely say that in today market, digital copies sells the most )! WoW will not go beyond 3-4 mils , while GW2 , well .. use your imagination.

People then, will say that WoW has subs, while GW2 not! Well , sorry to tell you, but there are A LOT of players spending $ in the cash shop and at the end of the day, I kinda think that GW2 is making more money then a sub game. However, this is .. speculation ( as many do ), and we can't tell for sure, untill NcSoft release the financial report at the end of the year, or first quarter from the next year!

Untill then , good job Anet!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Weird, I thought they would've sold a lot more. Since they were NR1 box sales in ten Europen countries.

If an AAA game sells only 1 million it's a flop these days..

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Many of the units were purchased before these two weeks, don't forget :)

i agree - will have much better idea of the games success 2 months from now

when Ncsoft announces its q3 financials during early November

Originally posted by IceAge

I love how some people keeps saying that you can't compare GW2 box sales with WoW 2004 box sales, because hey .. it was 2004 and at that time, it was a different market! But is "FAIR" to compare a 8 years old game, wich they build a huge fun base in this time, with a 2 weeks + old release game.

Let me tell you when we can compare the 2 games! After one year when GW2 launch world wide, including China, S. Korea ( Asia ) S. America , etc and AFTER they first or next expansion starting from that time.

What you MAY compare right now, is WoW ( an 8 years old game ) sales in EU/NA with 3-4 mils subs according to Blizzard , and GW2, a 2 weeks old game which already have 2 mil box sales ( NOTE: In this time,they suspended digital sales for 1 week, where we can safely say that in today market, digital copies sales the most )! WoW will not go beyond 3-4 mils , while GW2 , well .. use your imagination.

People then, will say that WoW has subs, while GW2 not! Well , sorry to tell you, but there are A LOT of players spending $ in the cash shop and at the end of the day, I kinda think that GW2 is making more money then a sub game. However, this is .. speculation ( as many do ), and we can't tell for sure, untill NcSoft release the financial report at the end of the year, or first quarter from the next year!

WoW has a cash shop too.

Originally posted by thekid1

Weird, I thought they would've sold a lot more. Since they were NR1 box sales in ten Europen countries.

If an AAA game sells only 1 million it's a flop these days..

With all those millions invested and the many jobs on the line, let's hope for their families sake the next paid expansion comes soon and is bought by many.

What you MAY compare right now, is WoW ( an 8 years old game ) sales in EU/NA with 3-4 mils subs according to Blizzard , and GW2, a 2 weeks old game which already have 2 mil box sales ( NOTE: In this time,they suspended digital sales for 1 week, where we can safely say that in today market, digital copies sales the most )! WoW will not go beyond 3-4 mils , while GW2 , well .. use your imagination.

WoW has a cash shop too.

Oh there you are! The ONLY, think you saw from my post, is about the cash shop! Did you saw what I said? Is speculation and we will find the "true" when NcSoft release the financial report!  But hey , keep ... pushing your non-sens untill then, ok?

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

• ClobClob Member Posts: 130

There need to be some scientific tests done.  I think there might be ample evidence that participating on these forums kills brain cells.

ANet gets a "small grats" from me for what Rubi described as a "small milestone" on their GW2 facebook announcement.  Indepth comparisons aren't necessary as those are solid numbers for how widespread gaming is across so many platforms these days.  I also don't think retention can be addressed and discussed in the same fashion as p2p either.  I've played p2p mmo's from high numbers through to terrible.  With p2p they haven't typically recovered in my experiences.  I was a witness to what ANet says when they describe their model; play it for a while, put it down for a while, play again, etc.  GW's population has always been solid, but within that it had a pretty specific 'wave' pattern with peaks at normal times with new campaigns, but also during holiday events, content updates and large patches.  In my opinion players are more likely to play a game without a sub periodically whenever they want than they are to resub, unsub, resub to play a p2p.  I'm actually quite confused when I read the old "I uninstalled it already" comment for GW2.  Do people lack hard drive space?  I don't know what mmo's these people can possibly be playing these days that they think is so good that it justifies uninstalling a game they can play all they want without paying any more money for.  I've played a lot of or at least tried most of what's come along and I don't see it.

I'm having the best time I've had in a new game for quite a while.  I'm a screenshot takin' madman in there as well.  They've delivered a solid game that's well worth the purchase price.

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76

All I can say is, remember how excited TOR fans were when they sold 2.2 million, but the realities of the longevity weren't apprent yet. I was one of those fanboys.

Just sayin - this launch period isn't indicative of the long-term success they need.

WoW has a cash shop too.

Oh there you are! The ONLY, think you saw from my post, is about the cash shop! Did you saw what I said? Is speculation and we will find the "true" when NcSoft release the financial report!  But hey , keep ... pushing your non-sens untill then, ok?

Well I mean, you had a TON of speculation, as you say, in your post.  If you would like me to make up numbers and things too to comment on more of your post, I can be talked into it.  Feel free!

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Interestingly enough, the "Live Team" responsible for the beta weekend events that were so well received and popular haven't been seen nor heard from since launch.

Smoothing out the launch issues, me thinks, but once they are stable/patched enough for the live team to kick into gear, GW2 is going to be a much different feeling game.

I have a different theory. After their investors found out the dev team had spent the brunt of their effort and funds doing nothing but creating thousands of various armor dyes, I think they just had the team quietly "dissappeared".

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    How many copies did Diablo 3 sell. Something like 10 million no?

WoW has a cash shop too.

Well I mean, you had a TON of speculation, as you say, in your post.  If you would like me to make up numbers and things too to comment on more of your post, I can be talked into it.  Feel free!

TON of speculations beside the  .. cash-shop earnings? Please, tell me what other speculations i've been made beside that ! It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years , and that GW2 has already sold 2 mils boxes in 2 weeks, while 1 week digital sales have been put on-hold.

So please, come with real arguments...

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I actually find 2.2m to be very poor.

Diablo3 sold more in the first day.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Congratulations ANet, your game is amazing and so far has done a great job meeting my expectations for the game based from official information (not what others talk), so shut up and take my money.

Originally posted by sadeyx

I actually find 2.2m to be very poor.

Diablo3 sold more in the first day.

Yet another "limited" guy , making a post which he only see NUMBERS...

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I have a different theory. After their investors found out the dev team had spent the brunt of their effort and funds doing nothing but creating thousands of various armor dyes, I think they just had the team quietly "dissappeared".

I have two different "peach" colored dyes and two different "mint green" colored dyes that I can't tell apart.

And I use neither of them.

Whom ever had that brilliant idea, I would hope they'd be in a large, unmarked mass grave right about now.

Originally posted by Yamota
    How many copies did Diablo 3 sell. Something like 10 million no?

yes D3 sold 10 million after 2 months

Blizzard aside, SWTOR was the only mmo to launch in excess of million units

as i posted earler, it took RIFT 4 months to sell 1 million last summer, June 2011

WoW has a cash shop too.

TON of speculations beside the  .. cash-shop earnings? Please, tell me what other speculations i've been made beside that ! It's not a speculation by saying WOW Eu/Na subs are 3-4 mils in 8 years , and that GW2 has already sold 2 mils boxes in 2 weeks, while 1 week digital sales have been put on-hold.

So please, come with real arguments...

Digital copies were the most?  Not sure in this case, i don't know if they broke it down by type of sale.

WoW will not go beyond 3-4 million subs?  Not sure, I can't read into the future, and it's not what I would SPECULATE

Also your timeframe of when we can compare, is just something you made up there as well.

I just mentioned that WoW has cash shop items as well, but you tell me I'm wrong to only pick that out of your post.  I just didn't think it would be wise to argue so much made up stuff.  I'd be happy to talk about it after NCSoft releases the financial information FACTS, though, or I can just add to the speculation disaster if you'd prefer.  Your call.

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161

Tengu playable race -- NOW!

Just kidding. Good job Anet! Keep the adventures coming, and I'll keep playing.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

Only because GW2 has no, subscripton.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.