Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

Comments

• IstrebiteIIstrebiteI Member Posts: 266
    This is wrong. On my server there is chat. Every zone. People either communicate where help is required, or important bosses, or just ask about the map.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by compoundcut
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

This ^

This as well lol

so if you were replaced by a bot.. would anyone notice ?

button mashing does not equate to social interraction..  maybe games do need more voice comms integrated into them image

Actually it's funny you mention bots.

I occasionally come across a naked player with a sword just standing there. During a DE they get stomped and sometimes resed but once they're up players can see its just a bot and we then go out of our way to kite mobs toward them and watch them go down. So to answer your very dodgy question: Yes, if I was replaced with a bot everyone would notice.

It doesn't even have to be a bot. I found a nekkid sylvari standing next to a heart vendor in Gendarren Fields. She was just a bit off to the side. A spider kept spawning so I killed it a time or two. I came back later found her dead and instinctively started to rez her. Cant have a dead player symbol just sitting there on my mini map after all. Then I realized the reason she was nekkid was because people kept rezing and rezing and rezing her until her armor stopped showing for being broken.

Don't go AFK for a long time in a place where something might kill you. Because people WILL rez you and you will have to pay a bundle to repair your red broken armor.

All die, so die well.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I have made a habit of ignoring general chat for ten years now, but am always active in guild chat and on vent or mumbles. First thing I do with a new game is turn off general chat in my options

I miss DAoC

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Join a STRUCTURED AND ORGANISED guild (random guilds are simply tags for some reason in GW2, no-one even talks in them) with voice comms, otherwise, yes, it's a social non-entity.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

The game is simply too overhelming and fast paced.

I love chat , but admit it. People only chat when they have nothing better to do

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    As an aside, I wish I had more freedom in positioning the chat window.

I'm sure if you don't start a thread about it and how it's a major flaw and setting the MMO genre back 200 years, someone else will.  It will just be par for the course for GW2 forums as of lately.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

The game is simply too overhelming and fast paced.

I love chat , but admit it. People only chat when they have nothing better to do

that's is why God invented voice chat. No way I can type and fight even in the old school stand there and spam your ability bar games let alone this one

I miss DAoC

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

This is something I have always worried about when it comes to this game. There simply is no reason to group up or interact with those around you other than to join them in zergs completing dynamic events. Communication is simply not required for 90% of the activities in game. I have long thought that this could lead to a virtually non-existant community.

Indeed this does seem to be happening already... I rarely ever see anyone talking in map chat unless they are talking smack to each other for fun or asking how to complete a POI or other map objective.

I have to say I find this rather troubling as an MMO with no real community will have very little lasting appeal to many players such as myself. There is little reason to play an MMORPG over a single player game if you don't socialize.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I have yet to talk to another player, and as other people mentioned, it is because there is no reason to.

I can run up and help in a DE without talking, and without them talking. The goals aren't tough and they don' t take teamwork. As long as I shoot the thing a few times I get credit (I'm not sure how little you have to do to not get a gold for participation in this game). If I see someone down I revive them for two reasons 1) It is a nice thing to do and 2) The game rewards you for it.

I've never had to stop and try to create or join an actual group for anything so I don't have to talk. Since I'm constantly killing, gathering, or randomly stomping mushrooms for a heart, there is also no point in stopping what I'm doing to chat about a random topic either.

One thing that created a lot of social interaction in older games was the downtime. You had to rest between fights to get your vitals back up. You had to wait for the boat to make the round trip to come back and get you. It took a while to run to places. Whatever the reason, the downtime made you talk about things, many times not game related, to kill time and it caused people to get to know one another.

With GW2 there is no down time, there is no need to form an actual group. So you just go into achievement mode and keep scratching the items off the list as more get piled on when you run around.

Why don't people in cities stop in the streets where hundreds of people are moving around them and start up a conversation? They're in the middle of going somewhere or doing something. People chat mostly when they aren't doing things. It isn't a crazy concept.

And yes. Some people will always be talking somewhere in GW2. I don't know why the counter argument to anything on the MMORPG forums is either "I just did that therefore your argument is wrong" or "I've never had that happen therefore your argument is wrong". That's like having 1 person exonerated from prison and saying "Well therefore all prisoners are not guilty". There is always an exception. In GW2 those who talk are the exception, not the rule.

• CastillleCastillle Member UncommonPosts: 2,679
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that!

Oh HELL NO. The past few days, all Ive been seeing are "ROMNEY IS THE !@#$"; and "PEGANISM IS #1" no! no more religion or politics.  Heck it got so bad that I decided to type out "I GOT A [Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]" several times just to transform the chat into barrens chat. 

Ive never had a problem with finding people to talk to though.  Just a few nights ago, there was a great discussion about the pros and cons of getting a vasectomy!  This was in Jade Quarry Queensdale! Or wait was it Gendarren Fields...Either of those!

Also you dont have to cancel your trip to Disneyland! I went to knotsberry farm alone and ended up hanging out with a bunch of people who I just met there for the whole day! Fun stuff! No not really fun...Those rollie coasters are !@#$ing scary -.-

''/\/\'' Posted using Iphone bunni
    ( o.o)
    (")(")
    **This bunny was cloned from bunnies belonging to Gobla and is part of the Quizzical Fanclub and the The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club**

• ZaltarkZaltark Member UncommonPosts: 437

I said thank you for getting rezzed. But in a game with so much to explore and things to kill, theres no time to sip a cup of tea and have a chat with smalltalk. If you want more than "Thanks for the rez!" or "Lets kill that mob!" then join a guild. Youll get your fill of usless spam in chatbox.

Edit: Also if you go to the maps with dungeons youll find lots of people spamming LFG. I have to wonder what server youre on or something.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I wonder if most of you are really playing this game there is so much chat going on in my server in most areas you cant get a word in at times and its mostly game stuff but from time to time you get the out of nowhere Wow joke or Chuck Norris joke some even used the old Leroy Jenkins joke when they throw themselves to there death. But I have seen crap chat in lowbie areas like Queensdale and the Asuran starter area.

The worst was day 2 after release and seen alot of gripping about the Asuran jumping quest sense then I seen a few grips about the game like how they hate how long some DE's take to restart or they cant find enough people to kill X boss or what have you. And I see lots of chat in towns about crafting and class stuff I turn off chat in town but only did that 2 times once in Divinty's and the other in LA after the WvW went down other then that its been ok not no major drama or gripping just people chatting.

I play on Aspenwood US server.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• BadLuckBrettBadLuckBrett Member Posts: 22
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that!

Yeah damn I'll try that. haha

I'd be really careful with that. Anet has been really coming down HARD on people who they deem to be creating a "hostile environment".

Seriously? Wow why don't we name this game North Korea Online already? :)

' we don't like people to talk, and if you talk about something that is touchy or otherwise we do not like then prepare to get punished as we see fit'. Nice.

From these forums, I've read about some over zealous banning on Anet's part.

As mentioned before, I am wondering if the lack of Map chat and silly bannings/reportings vary by server. I can definitely say on Tarnished Coast the map chat is alive and kicking complete with some topics that would make Ron Jeremy blush (at least in the Chaar areas), I'm no reporter but there were definitely a few things that got even me to consider hitting the report button.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by Anubisan

This is something I have always worried about when it comes to this game. There simply is no reason to group up or interact with those around you other than to join them in zergs completing dynamic events. Communication is simply not required for 90% of the activities in game. I have long thought that this could lead to a virtually non-existant community.

Indeed this does seem to be happening already... I rarely ever see anyone talking in map chat unless they are talking smack to each other for fun or asking how to complete a POI or other map objective.

I have to say I find this rather troubling as an MMO with no real community will have very little lasting appeal to many players such as myself. There is little reason to play an MMORPG over a single player game if you don't socialize.

A different kind of community is not the same as "no real community".  Just because you don't have any reason to play an MMOG unless there is chatty socialization going on with strangers doesn't mean most players feel the same way, and just because you don't understand or agree with their motivation for playing and enjoying an MMOG doesn't mean their motivation and playstyle is wrong or non-profitable.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

Ive never had a problem with finding people to talk to though.  Just a few nights ago, there was a great discussion about the pros and cons of getting a vasectomy!  This was in Jade Quarry Queensdale! Or wait was it Gendarren Fields...Either of those!

This is the reason I have all chat except guild chat turned off, and have always had it turned off in every game that let me.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

This ^

This as well lol

This. Because: Silent synergy > unnecessary communication.

Or to put it with a quote from my asura: "Such synergy!"

Silent Synergy? Really? The only thing "silent" here, is the implcation (once again) that people aren't playing the game right. I just don't understand the GW2 fan mentality. One day, you agrue for the game for "us casuals" the next day it's "silent synergy"? It'sGW2, not Asto Physics. Communication isn't needed because GW2 is in fact easy. I'm not bashing the game, some of the most fun games I've played were simple, but stop making GW2 something ti's not

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    There are enough bugs to nitpick over that you don't need to make stuff up to whine about. No talking in chat is not a problem this game suffers from. There is non-stop chat all the time. People calling out events, forming parties, talking game features, and just shooting the shit in general 24/7.
  • ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Well chat isn't needed anymore in MMOs anyway. Most gamers should be on voice if they are a true gamers. I haven't used chat for anything by guild or tells for years.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

On Ehmry Bay I have noticed the chat almost ALWAYS going on and on.  I must have joined a server of really social people.  I can also ask a question in chat and get an almost immediate answer.  It's very friendly and talkative, so....I'm assuming this is a server-specific problem.

Oh, I'm also in a guild that's pretty social, so I'm looking at a couple of different types of chat going on almost all the time.  Also, I get in conversations just out in the environment sometimes.  One gal showed me where to get a shark pet. :)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    public chat is a disgusting place most of the time, idiots who go to public places and rant, cuss and be total asses may seem normal to them, but most ppl dont want to listen to it.  Using voice takes most of that away, there are of couse idiots there to that need to be banned, but not nearly as bad.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Yeah there's a ton of chat in Lion's Arch at least.  Well, two things really.  "How do I get to the POI above the Eastern Ward?" and "How do I get to the Vista on the south of the map?"  To which I respond with one of two different keys on my keyboard which inserts the answer into chat for me so I don't have to type it every 3 seconds someone asks.
  • Ghost12Ghost12 Member Posts: 684
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Indrome

This ^

This as well lol

This. Because: Silent synergy > unnecessary communication.

Or to put it with a quote from my asura: "Such synergy!"

Silent Synergy? Really? The only thing "silent" here, is the implcation (once again) that people aren't playing the game right. I just don't understand the GW2 fan mentality. One day, you agrue for the game for "us casuals" the next day it's "silent synergy"? It'sGW2, not Asto Physics. Communication isn't needed because GW2 is in fact easy. I'm not bashing the game, some of the most fun games I've played were simple, but stop making GW2 something ti's not

Should I say it?

....This? ^^^^

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Meleagar
    Originally posted by Anubisan

A different kind of community is not the same as "no real community".  Just because you don't have any reason to play an MMOG unless there is chatty socialization going on with strangers doesn't mean most players feel the same way, and just because you don't understand or agree with their motivation for playing and enjoying an MMOG doesn't mean their motivation and playstyle is wrong or non-profitable.

I never said that this would apply to everyone. I only said that it would provide very little lasting appeal to many players such as myself. I have always played MMORPGs to interact with other players. Without that CRUCIAL element, an MMORPG will not endure FOR ME. I am not alone by any means. While the game may entertain me for a time, it will not hold me for years (as other MMOs have) without the social element.

Unless this dynamic is changed somehow, I predict that many others will begin to feel the lack of community engagement and will burn out on this MMO much more quickly than they otherwise would.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by DMKano
    There is simply not much reason to communicate - most of the PvE content is easily solable, you don't have to group for DEs, the entire game is based around action, action, action - and it simply leaves no reason nor room for folks to chat for anything outside of dungeon groups and PVP groups. Slower paced combat games like Eq1 had a ton of group content and plenty of time to just chat.Gw2 is not that type of game.Still waiting for next EQ1 here - will probably never happen, but I am still hopeful. 

this ^

is soe still making everquest next? o think that's your only hope right now.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by DMKano
    There is simply not much reason to communicate - most of the PvE content is easily solable, you don't have to group for DEs, the entire game is based around action, action, action - and it simply leaves no reason nor room for folks to chat for anything outside of dungeon groups and PVP groups.

Slower paced combat games like Eq1 had a ton of group content and plenty of time to just chat.

Gw2 is not that type of game.

Still waiting for next EQ1 here - will probably never happen, but I am still hopeful. 

this ^

is soe still making everquest next? o think that's your only hope right now.

SOE has designed some really great MMOs. But then they turn around and wreck them later on.