Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] WildStar: Pulling Back the Curtain

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX Prime, we had the opportunity to check out WildStar to see how the game has been progressing since its unveiling last year. We got a good look at the game and have lots of good things to report. Keep reading and then let us know what you think in the comments.

During PAX Prime 2012, which seems so long ago now, I had the chance to sit down and Carbine Studios’ Chad Moor (Lead Narrative Designer) and Mike Geldard (Global Brand Manager) to talk about what the team on Wildstar has been up to since unveiling the game last year.  The short answer? A whole lot. The long answer I’ll try to divvy out in the next few paragraphs. One thing’s for certain though: what we know about Wildstar is about to grow exponentially as the team told me they’re planning on revealing more and more as we round out 2012 and head into 2013.  The curtain has only begun to be pulled back at PAX, and already we’re drooling for more.

Read more of Bill Murphy's WildStar: Pulling Back the Curtain.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    This is shaping up to be a fun title.
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    This is definitely on my radar. They got me at housing that is NOT instanced.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Ramonski7

If that's all you want then you should be playing Vanguard.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Thank you! Seamless, zone-less world. Also, the combat and crafting sound quite nice, along side the housing system. Hope it all works out

But, the meantion of "Elder game" already seems to point that it's indeed a more themeparkish title. Nothing wrong with in any way, of course, but, even if it's not gear grind, endgame seems to be heading in the direction of rinsing and repating the same stuff until more content arrives.

If that's how it's going to be, then i do hope they do indeed follow Anet and make it B2P, or even F2P.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

I tried Vangard and apart from it crashing on me whenever 30 players are in the same area, the F2P model being a forethought instead of an afterthought and player housing being as impossible as getting a real home. I'll stick with Wildstar until it somehow proves to be just as bad on release as Vangard stands now.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• abyss404abyss404 Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Hell yes. I want to play a game where every member of every class is the exact same race and looks exactly the same! I HATE CUSTOMIZATION!
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    The game is on my radar and I don't generally give a damn about housing,I don't have a suppressed Interior Decorator inside me begging for release.But the world seems interesting as is the artstyle but liek any game I'm not gonna get super hyped about it.
  • Zap-RoboZap-Robo Member UncommonPosts: 233
    You can watch the presentation the Gaming Press (and fans at the meetup) saw @ http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?media/pax-2012-wildstar-gameplay-demo.81/

--
    Admin @ http://wildstar-central.com/
    ZapRobo (PlanetSide 2) | Zap-Robo (The Secret World)
    @Master Zaprobo (City of Heroes) | Zaphod@Zap-Robo (Star Trek Online)

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Abyss, it's been said time and again that the races and classes shown in demos are just examples. Race, gender, class and all that will be customizable at character creation like any other game. And there are more to be revealed of all of these still.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Really looking forward to this game. Has about everything I can wish for (housing, useful crafting, exploration). All these elements combined with fun gameplay work wonders for a good community. And to clarify: with community I mean guild/roleplayers/decent people I do like to play with without the ignore button ;)

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

I don't believe you Bill, your words say "Trust me" but your face says "I'm going to poop on your doorstep when you're not home".
  • BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Sylvarii

No he shouldn't, Vanguard is old and tired and on its way out the door of SoE's future...

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

With GW2 behind us now, will WS become the next big letdown/savior/battleground? I think maybe so.

/look forward

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

I don't really see it creating anywhere near the same blind rabid fandom that GW2 brought about. Thematically you're looking at two entirely different sorts of games.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    I'm definitely keeping my eye on this game.  Ever since that amusing housing teaser, the flavor and mood snagged my attention, and I hope the game turns out to be just as fun.
  • nuttobnuttob Member Posts: 291
    I will definately try this game if there are no quest hubs (I'm spoiled now from GW2), and is BTP or FTP.
  • LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Thank god this is coming out after the major disappointment GW2 is.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Wildstar looks like a fantastic game, not the messiah or next ex gen, but flat out fun.  I can't wait to, hopefully, beta test it and then buy it.

I'm over looking for the next big "it" thing, I just want something fresh and fun.  Got my eye on you Wildstar.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• bmorrisonbmorrison Member UncommonPosts: 19

well, until Recently Wildstar was a game that looked mildly interesting,  and if they can Disassociate themselves from NcSof I might again.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by abyss404
    Hell yes. I want to play a game where every member of every class is the exact same race and looks exactly the same! I HATE CUSTOMIZATION!

I take it you won't be playing this then. Seeing as races aren't class-locked last I knew.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• DangerNobuoDangerNobuo Member UncommonPosts: 96

Why the hate for NCSoft? NCSoft is great! The only problem they have is cancelling games...

I'm looking at you Tabula Rasa...

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Game looks great. Lets hope its fun to play.  I'm concerned with the involvement of NCsoft though. They have a past history of axing western games, if they don't meet some profit model they use.  I think its four or five at this point. I certainly wouldn't trust them. 
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by DangerNobuo

Why the hate for NCSoft? NCSoft is great! The only problem they have is cancelling games...

I'm looking at you Tabula Rasa...

Great? At axeing western games perhaps... ^^ But they seem to have little grasp of the difference between Asian and Western markets. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    looks really cool, and has cozy nice graphics too.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    That worm mini-boss thing sounded so awesome.  It reminds me of the old platform games on N64 like Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie.  Remember going into the hermit crab's shell to find stuff after you defeated him?  I love this.