Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server Selection...We can only pick one??

SgtOxSgtOx Member UncommonPosts: 26
Am I understanding this right?  I can't make characters in other servers?  When I click a server, a warning pops out saying do I want to make this server my permanent one...if I do, I would have to pay a transfer fee for another.  Does that only apply to moving from server to server, or can I make other characters in other servers?

Comments

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739

You can make you characters on one server only. The 1st week or so you can transfer to other server for free.

You will also be able to guest another server when its implementet. The server you pick is your home server and it is the server you represent when you play WvW.

• WynterArwynWynterArwyn Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by SgtOx
    Am I understanding this right?  I can't make characters in other servers?  When I click a server, a warning pops out saying do I want to make this server my permanent one...if I do, I would have to pay a transfer fee for another.  Does that only apply to moving from server to server, or can I make other characters in other servers?

You only get one home server. They are going to be adding a feature called guesting which will allow you to go do PVE on other servers, but you will only be able do World vs World vs World on your home server. So if you wish to change home servers you will have to pay to swtich it.

That said you can send mail across servers and you can be in multiple guilds. You can join guilds on other servers to represent while you're playing pve there so you can gain them influence.

• SgtOxSgtOx Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Dangit!  The server I want is FULL.  Anyone know if that will change during off peak hours? Or once full its closed or something?

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Dangit!  The server I want is FULL.  Anyone know if that will change during off peak hours? Or once full its closed or something?

If you're patient: wait.

We had guildies who couldn't get into jade quarry, but they waited a few hours and were able to get into the server.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    I have RL friends in a similiar situation. They want to roll with my on Gate of Madness but its full atm. I cant see wasting my transfer to another near full server. Waiting for them to open a new one.
  • Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026
    Besides Gate of Madness is only mad because Jade Quarry beats them so badly ;)
  • crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235
    Yes, only one server per account...and that's a good thing. Think really hard, and you'll figure out why.

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• crewthiefcrewthief Member Posts: 235
    Originally posted by Angier2758

Nobody rolls JQ mang!

Sorroe, Human Mesmer
    Jade Quarry Server

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Angier2758

We seem to be lacking any solid organized pvp guilds. Glad its not my permanent home.

• iinweediinweed Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by crewthief
    Yes, only one server per account...and that's a good thing. Think really hard, and you'll figure out why.

OK - thought about it, and can see no reason why at all - not like you can play on 2 servers at the same time from one account.

Methinks this is in fact a bad thing.. In fact the dumbest idea I have seen for a long time.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I seen them drop a little but it might be because people transfer out.

Still, you dont want to roll on a full server. I spent the first week on one before my guild moved. Otherwise you will spend hours in overflow and WvWvW can take hours to get into.

The problem is that some guilds really should move, we already did (to Seafarers rest, great server).

• gtompkins48gtompkins48 Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by iinweed

OK - thought about it, and can see no reason why at all - not like you can play on 2 servers at the same time from one account.

Methinks this is in fact a bad thing.. In fact the dumbest idea I have seen for a long time.

Think harder...what is one of the biggest features of the game involving servers?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

It have to do with WvWvW. The problem is that guesting still doesnt work, otherwise it would be fine.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

whooosh times a million.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Would you rather pick one and be able to guest to any server to visit your friends with minimal effort (and switch at will). OR. Would you rather have to level up a toon on any server that houses a friend of yours before you can begin enjoying the same content as them. I pick choice A!

FYI: that means leveling to 80 on multiple servers.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Would you rather pick one and be able to guest to any server to visit your friends with minimal effort (and switch at will). OR. Would you rather have to level up a toon on any server that houses a friend of yours before you can begin enjoying the same content as them. I pick choice A!

I choose choice E, for EVE.  Where there is no server select screen, you play on the same one as your friends, no guesting, no switching, no paid transfers.

Also, choice A doesn't help with WvW with your other-server'd friends.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

The general idea is to keep WvW fair.

To cite a few examples... if you could create characters on different servers, then you could find yourself in a position to be on two servers fighting in WvW at the same time (or even delete and create new chars on whichever server you're fighting at the time) and spy on them.. server 1: "lure the zerg to this pass, we've set up arrow carts to kill them!!!" player on server 1 goes to server 2: "don't go there, it's a trap" and situations like that.

Another one is that if you're limited to one server per account, it creates a sort of server pride. If a server is losing on WvW, if you're limited to that server, then it is more likely you'll keep fighting to the end, and maybe even turn the tables around (I know we did it on the BWE, really epic fighting, haven't tried WvW after release, though, too many other things to do in the game). If you can be on multiple servers, then if one server is losing people are more likely to just give up and go to play on an alt that's on a server that's winning. Also have the posibility to create server rivalries (oooh.. those Yak's Bend guys took our keep last time we fought... it's time for revenge).

BTW, they said they plan on turning the guesting feature when populations stabilize a bit, meaning you'll be able to go to any server you have friends in and play with them.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Nasa

You can make you characters on one server only. The 1st week or so you can transfer to other server for free.

You will also be able to guest another server when its implementet. The server you pick is your home server and it is the server you represent when you play WvW.

Before people get dissappointed: the above is wrong.

Switching servers is not free in the first week. Currently, server transfers are free, period. When the guesting system is made available soon, transfers cost a fee. Transfering to a low-populaton server is cheaper than to a high-pop.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Nasa

Before people get dissappointed: the above is wrong.

Switching servers is not free in the first week. Currently, server transfers are free, period. When the guesting system is made available soon, transfers cost a fee. Transfering to a low-populaton server is cheaper than to a high-pop.

Out of fairness: The post is 2 weeks old and the info was correct at that time.

Harbinger of Fools
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    You can only play from one home server, because unlike say wow, swtor, tsw & rift which let you play different factions on same server, arenanet take pvp integrity seriously.
  • VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Once there is server guesting your chracters wont really belimited to a single server. The only thing your home server effects is who's side you will be on when you enter WvW and by extension who you can play WvW with. You can be in guilds cross servers. You will be able to PvE with friends from other servers. You can do dungeons cross server and you can even do sPvP cross server.

So be sure to ask youself why you want to be on that particular world. If it is because you want to do WvW with specific friends then go for it. If it is because that server is doing well in WvW and you want to ride the wave then you will pay for that privilege in impossibly long WvW queue times. If you actually want to play WvW consider playing for one of the smaller worlds. Of course, I am not sure any of the worlds are small right now.

All die, so die well.