Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: 2 Million and Counting

Comments

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    All of the zones i have been in are still very active. Of couurse, with real life, i am still very slowly leveling, so i havent made it out of the early zones. I do feel that much like wow has done, the success of the game will cause an evoluation of the game. I dont think you all realize how different ( and better in many peoples eyes ) wow was 8 years ago. I think it is very conceivable that gw2 might evolve in to a more hardcore game
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

define 'ever'....

Unless GW2 starts offering subscriptions, what I said will always be true.

oh yes, you're right on this one

• LethalityLethality Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by Lethality
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

But the design *isn't* mainstream. It tries to be, but falls short in the general appeal.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    best 60 bucks I ever spent on a game, nuff said

I miss DAoC

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Hehe, no. This game isn't mainstream enough... it has a limited appeal, and there are signs that the foundation has cracks in it (endgame, broken designs, balance.)

According to Anet they want to beat WOW in sales and be number one. I think they know for that they have to go for mass appeal hence mainstream.

But the design *isn't* mainstream. It tries to be, but falls short in the general appeal.

According to who? 

Originally posted by Adiaris

According to who? 

Most friends and guild members.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Congrats Anet.  GW2 is a great game and so far I am having the most fun that I ever had in an MMO.  Currently 51 hours in, level 46 and 27% map completion.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by fatboy21007
    Look out WoW,  some1 is gaining steam XD

WoW has more subscribers than GW2 ever will

I dunno they hit 2 mil in 2 weeks. GW1 sold 7 mil in it's lifetime which is similar to how WoW built it's sub numbers, over a large amount of time. They only just started selling digital copies again, we'll see how fast it grows :)

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    By far the best value for 60$ I have ever spent on a game.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

According to who? 

12 people? And designs are broken when they don't conform huh?

According to who? 

Then we strike off even cause mine feel the opposite. In fact, I have 3 friends who have never got into MMOs that bought it and love it. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Nitth
    I personally think there is a hard ceiling to this game, Where everyone who wanted to play it, did.

Of course, you can add the ex-wow players and the current wow players and arrive at a similar figure.

But you have to decide if we still count Eastern subs, or not...and get Blizzard to cough up the Western numbers.  They've successfully resisted doing that for quite a while now.  Good marketing: keep them guessing by making them argue (always) on entirely different scales.

How's the Lineage subs going?  Oh, right, we discounted those for being oriental market.  But not the WoW subs.  We must use the only number the company ever volunteers.  Double Standards R Us.

Anet markets with the scale that's best for them...really, the only one they can.  More honest?  Not really, they just have no choice.

Argumentum ad numerum is so futile; yet even after 15 years, still the first argument out of the box, every time.

Gamers never learn.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

How good for them

"World of Warcraft Cataclysm sells 3.3M units in its first day out"

That should tell you units sold equals jack until the concurent users numbers show up. (and that of is where things turn a bit more bleak for WoW.) But then again, good for them. that shows that they have a good chance to make some serious money and that in turn is good for the future employment of the dev team. So *thumbs up*

This have been a good conversation

• woodard2040woodard2040 Member Posts: 20
    Who cares how many people are playing the game? As the news article states, its been just over two weeks since the game launched and ArenaNet has reported two million boxes sold? Now if we average that number by a $60 USD price tag that's $120 million in sales. I'm not even accounting for Collectors Edition or Digital Deluxe nor am I account for all the cash shop transactions. Now when was the last time any of you had $120 million just laying around? It's impressive! And that's the point of the article!

According to who? 

Then we strike off even cause mine feel the opposite. In fact, I have 3 friends who have never got into MMOs that bought it and love it. 

It's because it doesn't work like an MMO... no mechanics at all for grouping vs not grouping, dimished importance of character progression, etc. It's closer to a "social" game with the "Do XX/XX Vistas" than an MMO. And the depth is about on par with Diablo III.

Originally posted by woodard2040
    Who cares how many people are playing the game? As the news article states, its been just over two weeks since the game launched and ArenaNet has reported two million boxes sold? Now if we average that number by a $60 USD price tag that's $120 million in sales. I'm not even accounting for Collectors Edition or Digital Deluxe nor am I account for all the cash shop transactions. Now when was the last time any of you had $120 million just laying around? It's impressive! And that's the point of the article!

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy for ArenaNet.

Don't forget they started selling it in April, with more than a milion since then. Then, another million since launch. I simply don't see it have the momentum to hit another million anhy time soon. Over the course of the next 6 months? Maybe. Beyond that... heh. 

Of course I'm sure when they issue you an expansion they'll require the original game so that's how they'll move more, etc.

Also, 2 million isn't that impressive when compared to true blockbusters today.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere so, how many players can play on a GW2 server since there is 2 million and counting?

According to who? 

It's because it doesn't work like an MMO... no mechanics at all for grouping vs not grouping, dimished importance of character progression, etc. It's closer to a "social" game with the "Do XX/XX Vistas" than an MMO. And the depth is about on par with Diablo III.

This is GW2 we're talking about, yes?

Sorry, I haven't played an MMO in years that has me more involved than GW2 so no point in continuing this.

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602
    for a supposed "WoW killer" that ain't happening with those numbers. I'd be curious to know how many box sales WoW has had in total world wide, must be over 20 million. 
  • NameWasTakenNameWasTaken Member Posts: 132

I'm proud to be one of the two million.

One thing I won't miss from WoW, is not having to worry about Node Ninjas! Since everybody gets their own instance of the resource nodes, you don't have to worry about bloody node ninjas taking a node, you've just fought long and hard to clear.

So bring on more players, since this means more people to dump crafting mats on the AH, that I can buy!

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by woodard2040

Don't get me wrong - I'm happy for ArenaNet.

Don't forget they started selling it in April, with more than a milion since then. Then, another million since launch. I simply don't see it have the momentum to hit another million anhy time soon. Over the course of the next 6 months? Maybe. Beyond that... heh. 

Of course I'm sure when they issue you an expansion they'll require the original game so that's how they'll move more, etc.

Also, 2 million isn't that impressive when compared to true blockbusters today.  

It will die off, there is always a spike at launch, but that does put it on the same kind of sales as SWTOR, which was the last one of note.

Also, you need to take into account how much distributors, payment providers, etc take of that revenue. They've probably made about $90m to $100m so far, which I guess pays back the development costs and covers them for a little bit. Certainly enough to allow them to continue working on the inevitable expansion to make the second large sum of money.

I don't think it is profitable yet though, hard to tell though as we won't know how popular the cash shop is until NCSoft publish their quarterly figures and someone works out the difference between unit sales revenue and what is reported in total revenue for the game.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Sky's the limit ANet. Freaking amazing game.

Joined - July 2004

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Really can we compare it to other mmos as far as financial inqury is concerned? Would we not need to compare it to other non subscription based games? Does anyone know how to find the first two weeks of box sales for wow? I dont know how you to compare a subscription based game over a non subscription based game.
  • KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Guardian lvl 80, don't understand the hype at all.
  • volvoxaureusvolvoxaureus Member Posts: 27
    this game had so much hype and still didn't broke the record 3.5 millions in the first 24h....