Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    Originally posted by kevjards

just a thought though ..people have skype(which i use) ,teamspeak ,ventrilo..most will be using those i would think

There were a couple people in map chat looking for others to join their dungeon group.  They also said, they REQUIRED you to be on SKYPE with them in this group.

One of many dumb things I've read in map chat.

This isn't dumb, but more of a safety net. Let's say you hire a guy to do a certain task. This task requires communication and he is playing a very important role. If he sits in a chair with head phones on and you and the rest of your team are spouting commands at both him and each other, wouldn't you be frustrated that he can't hear you? When you are all able to communicate perfectly and move together to get things done this guy is holding you back, because he wants to listen to his music(i.e. doesnt want to come on skype). It's just common practice in MMO's. if you're joining a group and they have Vent/TS/Skype expet to be asked to join it. It's much easier than typing things out to everyone to explain some long complicated boss fight.

It's actually extremely dumb.  They specifically required skype, and would not accept teamspeak, ventrilo, raidcall, or anything else.  Just skype where you give out your member id.

Also does skype even have actual push to talk support yet?  Or is it still a crappy workaround.

Maybe that's because they only had skype and it is their peferred program? You think a group of 5-10 guys(however large the group is) are going to download Ventrilo and hot-create a server just because you like Vent? Not only that vent servers aren't free, mate.

edit: sorry for stacking posts.

Weird, because I've hosted a vent server on my PC before free of charge.  A friend of mine does teamspeak on his, again, free of charge.  And neither of these require you to give out an ID where the other members can find you again.  They both have push to talk as well.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

This discussion is really silly to  be honest. There are thousands of people playing the game. The way "OLD" MMO is played doesn't mean it has to be the way it is.

I am sure there are plenty of "OLD" MMO players out there that you can communicate through chat or whatever ways you prefer. Just because one likes one way better or it worked before doesn't mean it works for others. Find people with likemind and band together.

Asking people to do it your way isn't better than people refuse to do it your way.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by kevjards

just a thought though ..people have skype(which i use) ,teamspeak ,ventrilo..most will be using those i would think

There were a couple people in map chat looking for others to join their dungeon group.  They also said, they REQUIRED you to be on SKYPE with them in this group.

One of many dumb things I've read in map chat.

This isn't dumb, but more of a safety net. Let's say you hire a guy to do a certain task. This task requires communication and he is playing a very important role. If he sits in a chair with head phones on and you and the rest of your team are spouting commands at both him and each other, wouldn't you be frustrated that he can't hear you? When you are all able to communicate perfectly and move together to get things done this guy is holding you back, because he wants to listen to his music(i.e. doesnt want to come on skype). It's just common practice in MMO's. if you're joining a group and they have Vent/TS/Skype expet to be asked to join it. It's much easier than typing things out to everyone to explain some long complicated boss fight.

It's actually extremely dumb.  They specifically required skype, and would not accept teamspeak, ventrilo, raidcall, or anything else.  Just skype where you give out your member id.

Also does skype even have actual push to talk support yet?  Or is it still a crappy workaround.

Maybe that's because they only had skype and it is their peferred program? You think a group of 5-10 guys(however large the group is) are going to download Ventrilo and hot-create a server just because you like Vent? Not only that vent servers aren't free, mate.

edit: sorry for stacking posts.

Weird, because I've hosted a vent server on my PC before free of charge.  A friend of mine does teamspeak on his, again, free of charge.  And neither of these require you to give out an ID where the other members can find you again.  They both have push to talk as well.

Wow that's amazing! Let me go ask my grandmother to set up a vent server so me and her can play minecraft together. A bit sarcastic in my respons, but I think you can see where I was going. That's wonderful that you and your buddy could set up a server. Unfortunately 80(ish)% of the population has no clue how to, nor do they care to know how to. Most people don't have the patience or time( or in some cases the intellect) to become more affluent with their pc...or servers for that matter. Servers are the bane of my existence. I may be a programmer, but when it comes to backend and setting up LAMP/PHP/SQL stuff I can just hang it up. I let my buddy chuck do that for me. Thank god for that bearded diabetic genius! So that's cool that you can set it up, but what about the rest of us? And you could say there are tutorials on how to do it, but you know those tutorials require that the person reading it atleast a moderate to advanced knowlege of the innerworkings of windows/linux. Some people have never even heard of linux.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    People are chatting in voice chat in many cases.  It's hard to type combat is more action based.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

I wonder if we're playing the same game. I see people talking in /m and /g all the time.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

Wow that's amazing! Let me go ask my grandmother to set up a vent server so me and her can play minecraft together. A bit sarcastic in my respons, but I think you can see where I was going. That's wonderful that you and your buddy could set up a server. Unfortunately 80(ish)% of the population has no clue how to, nor do they care to know how to. Most people don't have the patience or time( or in some cases the intellect) to become more affluent with their pc...or servers for that matter. Servers are the bane of my existence. I may be a programmer, but when it comes to backend and setting up LAMP/PHP/SQL stuff I can just hang it up. I let my buddy chuck do that for me. Thank god for that bearded diabetic genius! So that's cool that you can set it up, but what about the rest of us? And you could say there are tutorials on how to do it, but you know those tutorials require that the person reading it atleast a moderate to advanced knowlege of the innerworkings of windows/linux. Some people have never even heard of linux.

Teamspeak 3 is far easier to host than ventrilo, in my experience.  It's not like you're setting up an actual server machine, but instead just running a program and running ts3 and connecting as usual.  No advanced windows knowledge required that I know of.  And you can run the server program on the same pc as the client, so you can talk with your buddies without needing two computers.  pretty easy, and also better than skype still for random joins.

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541
    My server seems to be chatting just fine, finding groups for explorables, story modes, WvW coordination (tho my server always seem to be doing terrible in it)

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    People talk in WvW. In the pve world hardly at all. There is no need to.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

I wonder if we're playing the same game. I see people talking in /m and /g all the time.

I get this feeling on most threads in here tbh Z.z

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

I haven't seen this at all on The Jade Quarry. Always people talking everywhere you go. I do sometimes miss my tells and guild chat because of dynamic events, I just forget to look down at the chat. image

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

As an aside, I wish I had more freedom in positioning the chat window.

Teamspeak 3 is far easier to host than ventrilo, in my experience.  It's not like you're setting up an actual server machine, but instead just running a program and running ts3 and connecting as usual.  No advanced windows knowledge required that I know of.  And you can run the server program on the same pc as the client, so you can talk with your buddies without needing two computers.  pretty easy, and also better than skype still for random joins.

People walk into our shop and we tell them "oh installing this ram is easy, very straight forward." They look at us like a deer in the headlights. Even long time MMO players that come in know nothing about their computers, except how to turn it on and double click WoW (or whatever other MMO they're playing). You may think I'm kidding, but its quite true. You move that WoW icon and their world is on its head. So saying its 'easy' really does nothing for some. I'm sure with a well worded guide and a bit of time I'd get it eventually, but why waste my time? If I have the money and the price is right, why not just pay someone else to do it. It's why we all shell out 150 bucks for windows instead of writing our own operating systems. Or why we dish out 15k+ for a car instead of building one ourselves. Honestly, if that human being can do it, then so can I, but where is the time and do I have the patience to do what they do. Are my surcumstances the same as theirs? Is it just too much work for me? I guess I shouldn't say that some people are incapable. They just don't want to be bothered with it.

"Shut up and take my money. And give me a server too!"

• Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636

Throughout the post I saw the words "I" and "we", meaning that's you and whoever you played with. Not everyone is you. As someone said before some people just want solid voice comms. Is that so wrong? To want to just SAY move instead of having to type it. Am I so wrong for wanting to talk to my friends over skype? is that so evil of me? Does that make me any less of a player because I use it? Am i going to be labeled a noob now, because I value communication. I'm sure anyone in the military will tell you they value being able to hop on a radio and call for support rather than sending carrier pigeons or smoke signals or some whatever other form of communication you can think of [ though the ones listed may be a bit silly].

Okay, now you're just being willfully dishonest and misinterpreting what I say deliberately.

Are you seriously putting forth so ridiculous an assertion just to "make your point"? Really?

Right, because of all the MMOs I've played over the past decade, and all the different people I've grouped with, it was somehow, miraculously only me and those specific people who weren't using voice or found it unnecessary.

You're trying way too hard at this point.

I never said it was "evil of you". I never said it makes you less of a player. I've even said I enjoy using voice chat as well. So, drop the victim thing and stop putting words in my mouth. It's not warranted.

I've simply been indicating that voice chat isn't necessary, nor does it guarantee a smoother run. I've been quite deliberate in pointing that out, with examples. Have you been reading my posts?

And someone mentioned earlier that I "take games way too seriously". Me just wanting to talk to someone instead of cracking my fingers trying to type out a conversation is too serious? I'd rather be called lazy...honestly that's what that boils down to.

You need to respond to that person, then. I never said that.

People walk into our shop and we tell them "oh installing this ram is easy, very straight forward." They look at us like a deer in the headlights. Even long time MMO players that come in know nothing about their computers, except how to turn it on and double click WoW (or whatever other MMO they're playing). You may think I'm kidding, but its quite true. You move that WoW icon and their world is on its head. So saying its 'easy' really does nothing for some. I'm sure with a well worded guide and a bit of time I'd get it eventually, but why waste my time? If I have the money and the price is right, why not just pay someone else to do it. It's why we all shell out 150 bucks for windows instead of writing our own operating systems. Or why we dish out 15k+ for a car instead of building one ourselves. Honestly, if that human being can do it, then so can I, but where is the time and do I have the patience to do what they do. Are my surcumstances the same as theirs? Is it just too much work for me? I guess I shouldn't say that some people are incapable. They just don't want to be bothered with it.

"Shut up and take my money. And give me a server too!"

Well if nobody in a group can figure out voice chat, then maybe they shouldn't use it?

Edit: Sure it may not be easy for absolutely everyone, I didn't say that.  I did say that it was much easier than you made it out to be.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005
    Originally posted by Four0Six

When I log in I send a greeting out on Map chat. Today I got teh first responce in 3 days. Then I realized it wasnt in responce to me but was an attempt to fill a group. for AC explore.

I do however get lots of gold/powerleveling spam mail. Which I find unexpected as the claim was made that being able to buy gems would cancel this out.

Many games have or had way to officially get gold like via Gems or Plex or just outright gold selling in CS (some cheap f2p korean title don't remember name atm). 

This NEVER fix 3rd party gold selling.  Official RMT just broaden playerbase that use RMT. It just makes people that are afraid to use 3rd party gold selling, to use offical 'safe' one. It also introduce RMT to players that  never earlier considered buying it, but now is ok "cause everyone use it".

3rd party gold selling always just have better prices than official one and thus they still work and are used. 

There is alrady ALOT of gold selling ads on various forums, sites, etc and also on auction services. 

No official rmt does not fix that things.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Adiaris
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

I get this feeling on most threads in here tbh Z.z

Yeah, we seem to have Troll Day today.

Oh, wait! It's always Troll Day on mmorpg.com forums. :)

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

Originally posted by fenistil
    official rmt

At least you call it how it is - official RMT.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    When you have a game which relies heavily on autogrouping and is very action focused, people won't chat much.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by TangentPoint

Throughout the post I saw the words "I" and "we", meaning that's you and whoever you played with. Not everyone is you. As someone said before some people just want solid voice comms. Is that so wrong? To want to just SAY move instead of having to type it. Am I so wrong for wanting to talk to my friends over skype? is that so evil of me? Does that make me any less of a player because I use it? Am i going to be labeled a noob now, because I value communication. I'm sure anyone in the military will tell you they value being able to hop on a radio and call for support rather than sending carrier pigeons or smoke signals or some whatever other form of communication you can think of [ though the ones listed may be a bit silly].

Okay, now you're just being willfully dishonest and misinterpreting what I say deliberately.

Are you seriously putting forth so ridiculous an assertion just to "make your point"? Really?

Right, because of all the MMOs I've played over the past decade, and all the different people I've grouped with, it was somehow, miraculously only me and those specific people who weren't using voice or found it unnecessary.

I never said it was "evil of you". I never said it makes you less of a player. I've even said I enjoy using voice chat as well. So, drop the victim thing and stop putting words in my mouth. It's not warranted.

I've simply been indicating that voice chat isn't necessary, nor does it guarantee a smoother run. I've been quite deliberate in pointing that out, with examples. Have you been reading my posts?

And someone mentioned earlier that I "take games way too seriously". Me just wanting to talk to someone instead of cracking my fingers trying to type out a conversation is too serious? I'd rather be called lazy...honestly that's what that boils down to.

I'm just stating it how it is. You say you think it is unnecessary, well there is a fairly large mass who think differently. Whether or not it is needed, who knows, who cares. I know that I enjoy it and prefer it in a dungeon run. Does it gurantee success, no, but it greatly increases the chances and reduces the margin for error. Because you can shout DONT TOUCH THAT BUTTON instead of typing it out, and by that time the guy has already gone and done it and all hell has broken loose. and no one is putting words in your mouth and yes i've read your posts. Because I disagree i clearly must not have read them... And no one is being a victim. I just think it's stupid to discredit something that has made gaming and communicating information so much easier and stress free since its inception. I don't think anyone can deny that instantly being able to tell someone something is a plus. I mean look at us. We're on a forums. Though there is a delay, being the time between me posting and you reading, this is quite instant. I think this conversation would've died ages ago had we communicated by say, written letter.

"My good man,

I completely disagree and refuse to adhere any of your ideals and hereby discharge your facts as false! Should you wish to dispute my accusations you may challenge me to a duel of honor; Queensbury rules, of course.

Signed,

Reginald Baronbonds"

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

In older MMOs that were designed around the concept of a social community that actually acts like one instead of a bunch of "soloers in a group", you had everything that you decribed above and a sense of being among people with actual personalities and interesting or funny things to say... great conversations, etc.

You got to enjoy both. They weren't mutually exclusive.

If someone has never played the older MMOs and actually experienced first-hand what a real and actively social community is, they will never understand that.

Of course, the industry has been heading this way for years now, since WoW broke on to the scene and started catering to the "solo-friendly 'til end-game" mentality. Players pushed and pushed and pushed and pushed for more and more soloable content, considering anything where they had to - heaven forbid - cooperate with someone else to be "forced grouping", as though it was some kind of evil thing to actually work as part of a team instead of a lone wolf.

And please don't come back with the typical hyperbolic answer of, "well I don't have time to stand around for 5 hours a night looking for a group". I never had to, either and I grouped almost exclusively in older MMOs. If you had to spend that much time waiting to get into a group, then you either were putting zero effort into it, waiting for the group to come to you. Or, you had a shitty attitude, sucked to group with, your reputation got around and no one wanted to group with you.

A benefit of real server communities in older MMOs is that your reputation actually meant something - nowadays you'd be lucky if anyone outside your guild or, hell, even in your guild knew of you at all.

MMOs have been going toward catering to the "me, me, me.. it's all about me" generation. GW2 is simply continuing that trend. Anyone who knows what true community is in a MMORPG knows that the idea of "public events" or "public quests" or what-have-you (just like in WAR and Rift) are not actual community activities. It's like this cheesy con-job being played by the developers to sorta give the impression of there being "group activity" without actually having it.

"Oh look! I'm doing stuff among a bunch of other players! This must be what a server community is!" No. Not even close. A bunch of soloers running around in the same area doing the same thing is not group content. Especially when, as I'm seeing mentioned more and more over time about GW2, hardly anyone's even so much as communicating at all.

So, you're complaining that there's no way in GW2 to make a name for yourself and establish and end-game reputation that "actually means something", then you're saying that the game caters to the "me, me, me" crowd?  You might want to rethink that.  The MMOG industry has been moving from servicing basically a hardcore, professional-quality game crowd to a more general population, casual customer base for years now. GW2 is the first game (IMO) designed from the ground up to appeal to that community directly, which is a broader, larger population. 

Not everyone plays MMOGs to establish a name and a reputation for themselves in the game, nor do we require recognition and accolades for quietly contributing to our guild and keeping an eye out for our fellow players on the battlefield.  Just because our  community doesn't satisfy your need to "make a name for yourself" doesn't mean that our community isn't a "real" community, Mr. No True Scotsman.  I suggest League of Legends or even GW2's sPvP if you have a need to be noticed and remembered in a game.

Originally posted by fiontar

The quality of the community, on my server anyway, is about the best I've seen in a decade. Everyone is too busy having fun to engage in bored chat. People do cooperate in this game, constantly, but it doesn't require much communication in chat. In WvW, the chat is just enough to coordinate and be productive, I see no BS chat there at all and peope actually listen and react when the call to arms goes ot for attackers, defenders or objective skirmishers.

For things that require more coordination with formal parties, I think most people are using various voice chat options. I mostly group with people I know and we voice chat when we play. Most guilds today use voice chat. It makes sense in general, but it's even more important in a game with such active combat, there really isn't time in the middle of a battle to stop and type much of anything, beyond the occassional "Adds!" or "Run!". :)

So there's barely any chat.  But the community is great because they are all cooperating seperately but together to achieve a personal goal.  In other words, they don't say anything, and for all you know could completely hate everyone around them, and are only using them to get the event done then leave them never to see them again.

In WvW there's some chat, I noticed.  People typing in all caps, absolutely ripping into other people for going the wrong way, or not doing what they want, or for any number of different things.

I'm sorry the last 10 years of communities you've experienced have been so atrocious :(

Whether they chat or not, you still don't know what their motivations are. There's this thing called "lying" .... 

Originally posted by Meleagar
    Originally posted by fiontar

The quality of the community, on my server anyway, is about the best I've seen in a decade. Everyone is too busy having fun to engage in bored chat. People do cooperate in this game, constantly, but it doesn't require much communication in chat. In WvW, the chat is just enough to coordinate and be productive, I see no BS chat there at all and peope actually listen and react when the call to arms goes ot for attackers, defenders or objective skirmishers.

For things that require more coordination with formal parties, I think most people are using various voice chat options. I mostly group with people I know and we voice chat when we play. Most guilds today use voice chat. It makes sense in general, but it's even more important in a game with such active combat, there really isn't time in the middle of a battle to stop and type much of anything, beyond the occassional "Adds!" or "Run!". :)

So there's barely any chat.  But the community is great because they are all cooperating seperately but together to achieve a personal goal.  In other words, they don't say anything, and for all you know could completely hate everyone around them, and are only using them to get the event done then leave them never to see them again.

In WvW there's some chat, I noticed.  People typing in all caps, absolutely ripping into other people for going the wrong way, or not doing what they want, or for any number of different things.

I'm sorry the last 10 years of communities you've experienced have been so atrocious :(

Whether they chat or not, you still don't know what their motivations are. There's this thing called "lying" .... 

Which is pretty much similar to what I said.

Actually, chat was one of the things I really disliked about other MMOGs.  I mean, you know, a lot of players aren't .. well ... very "chatable". That's probably true of most people whether they are game players or not.  I mean, they're good for "hi" and "man, it's hot today" .. but how many strangers do you talk to for more than a few minutes before they say something unsettling, crazy, or just flat-out stupid?

Then, putting those people in a game where anonymity and lack of possibility of physical confrontation frees up their inner crazy to say whatever they want, and also in a game where they can use their "crazy" to get negative attention, and use forced grouping and interaction game mechanics to inflict their crazy (or stupid) on other players.

In GW2, I don't have to put up with any of that,and I still get to participate in epic-style "raids", "end-game" content, and acquire top level gear. I don't have to wait 30 minutes to get into a group and then decide if I want to listen to some nimrod's racist ranting for the next hour, or put up with some other guy's constant harping about how I play my character, or going on and on about some other obsessive tripe I couldn't care less about. If you want to see the effect of forced grouping and game mechanic-dependent "community" on chat, log into League of Legends a few times and enjoy the chat.

For the most part, for most of the human race, IMO, less chat due to GW2-style game mechanics and more non-verbal (non-textual) interaction makes for a better community, because social misfits no longer have the power to inflict themselves on others via forced grouping/forced communication required to achieve top content.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

I'm just stating it how it is. You say you think it is unnecessary, well there is a fairly large mass who think differently. Whether or not it is needed, who knows, who cares. I know that I enjoy it and prefer it in a dungeon run. Does it gurantee success, no, but it greatly increases the chances and reduces the margin for error. Because you can shout DONT TOUCH THAT BUTTON instead of typing it out, and by that time the guy has already gone and done it and all hell has broken loose. and no one is putting words in your mouth and yes i've read your posts. Because I disagree i clearly must not have read them... And no one is being a victim. I just think it's stupid to discredit something that has made gaming and communicating information so much easier and stress free since its inception. I don't think anyone can deny that instantly being able to tell someone something is a plus. I mean look at us. We're on a forums. Though there is a delay, being the time between me posting and you reading, this is quite instant. I think this conversation would've died ages ago had we communicated by say, written letter.

"My good man,

I completely disagree and refuse to adhere any of your ideals and hereby discharge your facts as false! Should you wish to dispute my accusations you may challenge me to a duel of honor; Queensbury rules, of course.

Signed,

Reginald Baronbonds"

Not realy replying to your post. I finally gave in and googled Gangnam style because of your sig. Your not the person typing that in chat in all caps on Darkhaven are you?

Originally posted by Xzen

"My good man,

Signed,

Reginald Baronbonds"

Not realy replying to your post. I finally gave in and googled Gangnam style because of your sig. Your not the person typing that in chat in all caps on Darkhaven are you?

No lol. But I did think the This is gangnam style thing was pretty funny so I held onto it.