Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Story progression blows!

CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337

I would like to make this thread not to bash the game and call it a horrible title but to bring to light this certain topic to players (who like myself) enjoy progressive leveling that follows the storyline. 

In Guild Wars 2 you will find that the story is great... I mean it's personal and is constantly affected by the decisions you make. The cutscenes and conversations (voice acted) that are had real make you feel immersed in your character. However, these great story moments can only be done so often. To break down the system of how it works....

> You do a 5-10 minute story mission which is amazing and filled with stuff to do. During it there is several cutscenes, conversations, decisions, fights, etc.

> After you finish it you look for the next story to find you have to gain 3 levels to do it.

Now this wouldn't be so bad if this game was not a complete grindfest. With a lack of a "quest" system so to speak you are forced to then run around the map(s) and find any event or heart that you can (given your level can do it). This can take several hours in the higher levels (I'm only level 42 and I average a level or so every hour to hour and a half). When you finally get to the desired level you go to your quest and find.. oh hey another 5-10 minute mission. You easily complete this and enjoy every moment until it's done.

Now completed you're told to go to another location that... oh no surprisingly you have to be 3 levels higher. It's very tiring and has led to me just quitting the game. Again, this thread is not meant to bash the company as the title is by far one of the most successful of the decade (in terms of selling). I am simply warning those of you who are not into having to search non stop for any little event to level up 3 times per 5-10 minutes of your story.

Comments

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

Funny how my opinion is completely the opposite. I can not stand the personal story and like running around exploring on the map.

I'm now 15 levels behind on my personal story and trying to catch up but I really HATE it.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by thekid1

Funny how my opinion is completely the opposite. I can not stand the personal story and like running around exploring on the map.

I'm now 15 levels behind on my personal story and trying to catch up but I really HATE it.

Same here. I wish I could just abandon it altogether.  I hate it being up in the corner nagging me all the time.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

I had this issue as well.

I just joined my "faction" in that choice quest and now i wanna see what happens but i gotta farm levels up D:

• MannyManaMannyMana Member UncommonPosts: 121

Between Crafting, jumping puzzles, pvp and exploration I find plenty to do in between my story arc.

I see no problems with the game. The problem a lot of people have is they play a game too much and burn out too quickly on it. This game is great for casual players but I could see becoming boring for hardcore gamers. If you learn to relax and stop staring at your exp bar and just immerse yourself in the game world while doing everything this game has to offer you will have a blast., I guarantee it.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by Celusios

> After you finish it you look for the next story to find you have to gain 3 levels to do it.

I  haven't ran into this problem. Then again, I've been zone completing inbetween stories. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Well I've extremely out-leveled my story, cause I (like many others) prefer exploring the open world and not being tied to a story. I like that it is sprickled across 2-4 level intervals, as the game really encourages players to explore and try other things. If you are finding the rest of the game a grind to get to the story then I have to wonder what did you even buy the game for, because things like Dynamic Events and WvW make up the bulk of the game.

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269

Unfortunately it's not designed so that your story alone will level you up enough to get you through it. The story has to span a good majority of the available areas. It is a very great story and there is no "grinding" of anything to get levels. Honestly I've been trying not to level so i can get my level 60 cultural armor and not have it be out of datewhen i get it, but every where i look theres exp. Daily kills, daily kill variety, daily gatherer, daily gather variety, indescriminate slayer, jotun slayer, skritt slayer, etc; All of these achievements that give you stupid crazy exp for doing the smallest of things. Theres an achievement for killing small bunnies. Exploring alone gets me crazy exp. Gathering, mining, and foresting gets me more exp a day than I care to count. Then the Dynamic events in between. I start of saying I'm going to go get that node and am distracted by atleast 1-2 DE's between point A and point B, not to mention the DE chains and a boss fight breaks out and then theres a chest with loot, as I get close to the node I realize that its guarded by a veteran mob. I kill it only to look down and see i've gained half a level, and the node is a rich ore vein...Daily gatherer pops up and I get even more EXP.

People that complain about a grind are OBVIOUSLY doing something horribly wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if theres an achievement for being logged in for 24 hours straight.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I never care about lore/story tbh..

Only did it pre-WoW.

And Warhammer 40.000 when we arent talking computer games.

The game has so much to offer than two NPCs talking anyway

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion

Unfortunately it's not designed so that your story alone will level you up enough to get you through it. The story has to span a good majority of the available areas. It is a very great story and there is no "grinding" of anything to get levels. Honestly I've been trying not to level so i can get my level 60 cultural armor and not have it be out of datewhen i get it, but every where i look theres exp. Daily kills, daily kill variety, daily gatherer, daily gather variety, indescriminate slayer, jotun slayer, skritt slayer, etc; All of these achievements that give you stupid crazy exp for doing the smallest of things. Theres an achievement for killing small bunnies. Exploring alone gets me crazy exp. Gathering, mining, and foresting gets me more exp a day than I care to count. Then the Dynamic events in between. I start of saying I'm going to go get that node and am distracted by atleast 1-2 DE's between point A and point B, not to mention the DE chains and a boss fight breaks out and then theres a chest with loot, as I get close to the node I realize that its guarded by a veteran mob. I kill it only to look down and see i've gained half a level, and the node is a rich ore vein...Daily gatherer pops up and I get even more EXP.

People that complain about a grind are OBVIOUSLY doing something horribly wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if theres an achievement for being logged in for 24 hours straight.

^ This.

To OP :

Clearly, no game can cater to everyone. If  you found yourself not happy playing a game, move on and find one that suits you. The game is made and they will not alter the core game to fit other play style.

• ForgefeuForgefeu Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Regarding the level issue to continue the personnal quest, you could do just like i do, i ignore personnal story for 10 level then immerse into the personnal story and chain 4 to 5 , that way i feel more immersed :) since you delevel its ok and still challenging, that the good part in gw2 you can play it as you wish
  • VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Celusios

...5-10 minutes of your story.

So, your basic point is that each story chapter is too short? I agree, I really enjoy them. But I also heard another guy say his was taking too long, so I guess not everyone does.

As for the grind etc,  well... you will see what you want to see. I don't see grind at all in the game. The levelling speed is also just fine for me and, if anything, goes too fast.

But, yes, I would like bigger PS chapters.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

OP is complaining that an hour to hour and a half to level is too slow?

Dude, really?

Yes, the story is spread out from levels 1 through 80 by design. It takes you from the starter zone all the way to Orr. I just got done a couple days ago with the part of my story that took me through Lion's Arch and had a blast. Five to ten minute mission my ass... those, and the ones following so far, have been at least half an hour, more in a couple of the LA ones.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Sorry, I hate to sound rude, but I stopped reading when you say the game is a grindfest. 200 hours into the live game and I haven't experienced any grind as part of the progression. (I have spent a little time grinding mobs for uncommon crafting mats, but I didn't do any of that leveling my Elementalist to 80). I still haven't even visited a third of the game zones, in 200 hours and many of the zones I have visited have not been more than 60% explored. I haven't even touched dungeons and only recently started playing a little WvW and sPvP, (both a lot of fun).

It really seems like some people consider the very act of playing a game to progress a grind, no matter how broad and varied the content and worldspace are. I enjoy the story in the game, but the story is not, nor is it meant to be, the majority of the game play needed to progress to the level cap.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    I do think personal story should flow a bit better level wise... but at the same time i found it incredible cheesy. It can be decent at one moment and incredibly cheesy or stupid the next. Not to mention, play through once and you can predict everything that happens the next time through, no matter what side you pick or your options. I have just the Vigil left and I can make quite a good prediction just what will happen there with my mentor and who I'll be magically introduced to and work with as if we have known each other for a long time.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Hmmmmm I enjoy both the story and running around the map. Quest seem so boring now. 
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I didn't really like the personal story. I think I've gotten to the point that I'd like to have either a personal story, on my own server, or an open world story, but not both. Give me HalfLife2 or give me Minecraft with some quests, but don't try to mash them together.

I could have played the class stories in SWToR, with little or no world stories and I would have been just fine. I enjoyed playing GW2 without the personal story bits. I'm not sure the two should exist side by side in the same game.

At least with GW2, and I can skip the personal story completely and not feel like I'm losing out.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Purutzil
    I do think personal story should flow a bit better level wise... but at the same time i found it incredible cheesy. It can be decent at one moment and incredibly cheesy or stupid the next. Not to mention, play through once and you can predict everything that happens the next time through, no matter what side you pick or your options. I have just the Vigil left and I can make quite a good prediction just what will happen there with my mentor and who I'll be magically introduced to and work with as if we have known each other for a long time.

Glad you've got this magical augury that allows you to figure out the plots of games and movies before they happen. But that's just you. They can vary things as far as the story, but they can only vary so far. It all has to come to the same conclusion at some point.

• drekzdrekz Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by Vhaln
    Originally posted by thekid1

Same here. I wish I could just abandon it altogether.  I hate it being up in the corner nagging me all the time.

Yep.  My first character hit 80 and his story quest was...level 57.  Second character is 40 and story was level 8 before I started doing it.  Had the exact opposite effect doing them all back to back.

But my issue is the same as the one I had in Swtor.  I'm no RPer but it bothers me somewhat that my character has a preset voice and dialogue.  Kinda why in TSW I liked that my character never talked.  Yeah it seems weird that he just kinda stands there but it's better than him having some bizarre dialogue that makes me hate my own char.

Also, my first char was a human which the story turns into fighting wave after wave of sprinting risen.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I'll be honest, I really dislike most of the stories in GW2.  Whenever I do them, I am just thinking "when will this be over so I can get back do the fun stuff?"

Some of them I like, but that's rare.  By and large I just find them fairly dull.  And I mean, this isn't that surprising...there are so many of them that I guess the writing can't all be top quality...quantity over quality basically.

This is the same problem I had with SWTOR.  I found most of the stories very dull and cliche.  Thankfully for GW2 though, the story is not the main draw of the game...because I think that it is by far the weakest part of the game.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

OP, you can level to 80 and then do your story. TBH the story is epic with huge battle, but its less interesting and original then GW1. For me its a step back. The one advantage is the replayability, but the story itself... average :/

I'm kind of disapointed.

The personal part of the story is better then the epic part after lvl 60ish... 

• ezduzitezduzit Member Posts: 112
    So you want the government handout of a story instead? 
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Story has been great thus far.

Great characters, stories, and action.

Great level of difficulty, downright hard if you don't outlevel the step you're on.

I enjoy the fact I get to explore around the open world for a couple of levels in between story steps.

I had enough linearity in SWTOR and WoW:Cata and RIFT questing going from A to B to C to D to E with no breaks or divergence.

I wish they would smooth out the level progression so you never have to leave your "main" story/zone path to catch up a few levels, but oh well - exploring other zones off "your path" is fun too (I just don't do any of the hearts.)

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198

The post was all good until "If this game wasn't a compelte grindfest!" Stopped after that. GW2 is easy to level in and you do events in the different zones which are far superior to basic questing. You are actually doing something that matters for a short time anyway.

OP might be one of those people that haven't firgured out it isn't questing or hearts it is events! That is what matters to level and events are almost stories in the game.