Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

Comments

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

Change guild. I most of the time don't use map chat since it's full of people and stuff so it's great help channel. But I do use a lot local chat and our guild chat NEVER STOP. 

Some websites in our country decide to form a guild of it users. There is one requirement to join such a guild. You must be part of active website community. Because of that, whole guild is:

~ formed by forlks from one country

~ from one website

~ people that are used to talk all the time in forum or under articles

~ people with same interests

~ adults (most of us)

Because of that our guild chat is always alive :) Only problem in your guild are people you play with. I have seen unsocial guilds all the time in many games. You just need to find right one.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by compoundcut
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

This ^

This as well lol

so if you were replaced by a bot.. would anyone notice ?

button mashing does not equate to social interraction..  maybe games do need more voice comms integrated into them image

• CyclopsSlayerCyclopsSlayer Member UncommonPosts: 532

For those talking about chat scrolling by fast... be sure it isn't just the NPC's.  When I am away from local npc's I seldom see any public chat. Even in guild chat it can get quiet at times, and that includes voice Comms.

Too few reasons to interact. Boons, heals all work pretty much equally with close allies, grouped or not. No target locking, group benefits, all make 5 people in the same area the same as a group, without party chat though... :)

Doing Dungeon runs with voice is 100x better than trying to type out everything. Typing out "Fred! Get out of the Red/Green/Purple stuff!" usually would leave Fred dead or downed. Even discussing strats and wipes is so much easier than waiting on someone to type out a 2 paragraph analysis.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Phry

button mashing does not equate to social interraction..  maybe games do need more voice comms integrated into them image

Congratulations on missing the point entirely.

(Playing together with other PEOPLE actually does equate to social interaction. Unless you're one of "those" guys that still don't think playing computer games even COUNTS as social anything.)

• everlandeverland Member Posts: 71

Underworld chat always live, in lvl 80 locations might be less active since people are really focused on their objectives there, but places like Lion's Arch are like chat rooms for teenagers.

People talk when they can can, this game doesn't leave much place for that, it is just to intense. There is no way to talk on event if you want to keep yourself alive (in invasions) or simply don't be left behind (in convoys). Only time you can chat is while crafting, or waiting for dungeon party. So far this game really keeps people busy.

But like i said, Underworld is fine.

You can see dance parties, where people gather and try to synhronize their dance emot with the * (it's not that easy in 10+ people). People thank each other when they are rezzed, people rezz all the time, I get rezzed in the most wierdest places. Many times someone wastes his precious game time just to find me and rezz me when I have fallen into a hard to reach place. Questions on map chat are answered most of the time, if they are properly asked and are related to game. Gulld chat is very active. Only once I experienced hostility on chat, and it was a rasist war between countires on overflow. But this happens everywere, can't hide true nature of mankind.

I'm wondering why so different opinions and experiences, but I think that might be the cause:

A. Different servers have different communities.

B. Someone asks stupid questions, or just simply is annoying and no one want's to response.

C. Bad guild, with silent people or guild using teamspeak and you aren't even aware.

D. To much expectations, while it is just game not a ideal life simulator.

Originally posted by Indrome

Congratulations on missing the point entirely.

(Playing together with other PEOPLE actually does equate to social interaction. Unless you're one of "those" guys that still don't think playing computer games even COUNTS as social anything.)

im sorry was my statement too complicated for you.. i'll try and simplify it for you.

firstly the bit where i said button mashing, that means pressing buttons on your keyboard, or gamepad if you use them, in order to play the game, attack, move.. that kind of thing.

and the  does not equate to social interraction, means, you know, hitting something isnt the same as talking to someone, or even hitting something while talking to someone.. or perhaps discussing before hitting something, tactics for how to hit something without getting everyone killed..

in WoW it was considered rude to just randomly invite someone to a group without asking first, but even in WoW this still happens, and in group they don't tend to say anything either. and no, i do not regard this as social interraction, as there is no communication involved. I can only imagine how RP'ers might feel about this, but even those of us who prefer social gaming, or at least, gaming with a social aspect .. its a bit of a lost cause.image

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

In GW2 you actualy need to pay attention on how to mave and what to chain, makes reading the chatbox a little harder then say SWTOR / Aion / WoW / Rift, there you can auto attak and mobs die :P

Also most chats these days are instandly refered to as Barrens chat, name calling trolls haters of WoW haters of hamburgers etc etc etc.
    Anet bans hard and fast, people need to understand its a social game not a kids msn where you can curse and bring verbal abuse.

Fear of being banned makes the chat alot more social :)

Far Shiverpeaks is a great dutch / scandinavian server and even tough we are many country's, the chat is mostly filled with information about where is that vista where is that skill point :)

I like it this way ^^

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

It depends on the area you are in.

I find Lions Arch being very chatty most of the time with people asking questions about things or generally talking about various things.

In a guild it depends on the people and how busy they are and if they are representing to even being able to see what got typed in the guild chat or not.

In some areas though all you mostly get is indeed one or two questions sometimes while "Looking for X Dungeon" is getting spammed allover the place.

There is more than enough group content in the game, it's however not forced (with the dungeons, sPVP and WvsWvsW being the exception since you can't solo them).

All in all though it depends on the people and how they are themselves cause if a person likes to chat with others, they will communicate no matter how  a game is build,  while others that actually don't want to unless they are "forced" to do so, they won't communicate with anyone unless nessecary.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    People chat all the time and I play 4am EST - 10AM EST. It just depends on where you are. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    All you have to do is cause anyh amount of damage to a monster that anyone else is attacking and you both get 100% kill credit for it. So, you can help somebody without needing to group with them.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Probably because they are doing what I'm doing. I'm not typing. I'm talking with friends in skype, C3, Teamspeak, Ventrillo etc etc while playing. Don't need to talk to strangers to enjoy the game.

Also, I talk with guildies in vent.

I do say things to people in say or whisper them when they ask for help or say something important enough for a response. but that's mostly what people are doing. This isn't the year 1998 or something where everyone types for everything anymore.

Originally posted by itgrowls

Probably because they are doing what I'm doing. I'm not typing. I'm talking with friends in skype, C3, Teamspeak, Ventrillo etc etc while playing. Don't need to talk to strangers to enjoy the game.

Also, I talk with guildies in vent.

I do say things to people in say or whisper them when they ask for help or say something important enough for a response. but that's mostly what people are doing. This isn't the year 1998 or something where everyone types for everything anymore.

i've been using voice comms in Eve for quite a few years now, its faster than typing for most, and a lot easier. maybe it is time that games integrated voice comms into group formations, a ts3 or vent client for instance, is free, but it costs money to have a server to use it on, which is why its normally restricted to guild/corp members only.  besides, in a game like gw2 where players just don't have the time or ability to type things while fighting etc, voice comms are possibly the only realistic alternative. perhaps whats needed is to do away with local text chat, and instead have local voice chat.

for those who feel uncomfortable with guys playing girl toons though, this might be something of a shock.image

• ValkaernValkaern Member UncommonPosts: 497

Not here, chat is active on every map on our server (Gandara), not only active but helpful as well (calling out event / orichalcum locations in Orr etc).  Guess it must be the server community.

I had the opposite concern, as I generally chat in guild or party chat, I figured map chat would be obnoxious as it is in other games and I'd want to turn it off. So far it's been active and while people may bicker occasionally, more good than bad comes of it and I've never had the vomit inducing feeling other games chats have given me or any urge to turn it off.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I agree. Yesterday I played with an alt, was in a large city, searching something and couldn't find it. Noone was talking at all, but I asked anyway. I didn't get any reply. So I tried asking both in english and in german: still no reply. Pffff...

I think that it's the result of MMORPGs being mostly single player games these days.

For example, back in the days of World of Warcraft, before the dungeon finder and meeting stones, people searched in the main cities for other players who'd want to join on a trip to those dungeons. Then you'd meet up with them, and travel there together. Now THAT's a multiplayer game. If not enough people were on, you just listed everyone of about the right level, and asked them directly. Today? Dungeon finder. No communication needed.

Gah...

Also the same as questing. In the early games, the quest givers said "walk east from here, to the hill of somethingsomething that looks like a huge sleeping bear. Then, turn west, and continue until you will find the pine woods. Find the lost well in the woods, and discover it's mysteries". Something like that. And people thought, looked at the map, pondered, tried to find it, maybe failed, asked in the chat, met other people who were searching too, teamed up with them. Now that the game tells you exactly with arrows and markers where to walk, all that is not necessary anymore.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by xpiher
    People chat all the time and I play 4am EST - 10AM EST. It just depends on where you are. 

No, it doesn't matter where some of these guys are.  They are just looking for a way to keep filling up the forums with empty complaints.  In one hand they will say that GW2 doesn't bring any new features or invovation to the genre (i'm not saying it does, but they like to remind us that it doesn't).  Then on the other hand they will complain becuase it has the same features and social aspects of other mmos and pretty much the same chat set up, yet they say GW2 and it's player base are uniquely the only players and game to be anti-social. 

Most of us who actually play the game see the chat channles filled with idle banter, game discussions, and some Q and A.  So why do these select few mysteriously don't?  The only thing I find odd about chat is the actual lack of WoW conversations.  There is usually one tool in most mmos that can't resist trying to start a WoW conversation.  I'm starting to wonder if that's what some of these guys are doing and being surpirsed that no one wants to oblige them. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by west715
    I too play GW2 and it seems no one talks in chat or even in my guild chat.....I think everyone just doing mad dash to lvl 80.

Not my experience, and I play on a EU server where in most games the chat is pretty quiet (or outright hostile). On Far Shiverpeaks the chat is lively most of the timeand usually pretty civilised. I have in fact been extremely impressed by the community where I am.

Maybe it is just your server? We know that different ones grow different cultures in these games.

Anf your guild? well, if noone is talking in channel (and they are not even in TS or whatever), dump it. There are better ones out there.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

This ^

This as well lol

Actually it's funny you mention bots.

I occasionally come across a naked player with a sword just standing there. During a DE they get stomped and sometimes resed but once they're up players can see its just a bot and we then go out of our way to kite mobs toward them and watch them go down. So to answer your very dodgy question: Yes, if I was replaced with a bot everyone would notice.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

This ^

This as well lol

Your making my allergies come back up, would you like to know what I'm allergic to?

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

There's large chunk of people who use voice-chat while gaming with RL buddies (who may or may not be in the game with them) so the Chat Box is superfluous.

I honestly think people are having so much fun levelling that there isn't much time to type out a conversation.

The game is friendly though, with lots of greets from other players as they pass by.  What I really like is that players are always keen to revive other players, even if it puts them under attack as they do so. I think that bodes well for the future, and when the frantic levelling eases up I think the chat will come.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

just a thought though ..people have skype(which i use) ,teamspeak ,ventrilo..most will be using those i would think

• LoverNoFighterLoverNoFighter Member Posts: 294

Try using speech bubbles... anyone using them is a rare occasion. Most people just spam in chat channels.

• MeleagarMeleagar Member Posts: 407

IMO, chatting in most MMOGs is what most players resort to in order to relieve the boredom of waiting for groups, raids, or to have something to do in boring positional, rote holy trinity fights. There is no boredom in GW2.  From the moment you log in to the moment you exit you can experience engaging activity and action-packed fun.  I don't play MMOGs to chat; chatting in MMOGs is what I do when the game is failing to hold my attention and provide an enjoyable experience.  I have my chat box set to guild only - I certainly don't have the time to read what everyone in the game is saying.

When a movie is boring and predictable, those watching it often start chatting with each other; when the movie is totally engrossing, nobody is saying a word. GW2 is like the latter.  When I'm logged into GW2, I'm totally engrossed in the show.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by kevjards

just a thought though ..people have skype(which i use) ,teamspeak ,ventrilo..most will be using those i would think

There were a couple people in map chat looking for others to join their dungeon group.  They also said, they REQUIRED you to be on SKYPE with them in this group.

One of many dumb things I've read in map chat.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that!

LOL thats the reason I turn off main chat in every MMO when I first login.

There is no lacking of chat for me in my guild chat and even on the VoIP. People nowadays prefer to listen than type. Not to mention in a system that you have to pay attention while fighting, it is not easy to type and do stuff at the same time.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

it's because you never have to group with anyone to do anything at anytime ever.  Everyone gets credit for just running around bashing things during hearts and events so why would you ever chat?

I never chat to anyone in gw2. Doesn't help me gain anything so it's unnecessary.

And how does chatting help you in other games? I've played a ton of mmorgs and usually people talk only when in dungeon and only at boss for strategies. Keep yapping in chat for most of the time in a dungeon to make sure you get booted for not being active in combat lol.

Oh I do chat with people too, in /g and when I'm idling or doing something unimportant that requires only a bit concentration. This usually amplifies greatly after getting at least one char to max level and exploring most of the maps and content. I dont buy mmorpgs to chat all day long on the first few weeks.

Well, I have made some real, lasting, serious friendships, which has been nice. I am still really good friends and have met several people many time who live in Europe (I am in the US) from EQ and WoW. Socializing *can* be fun, but it is hard to even get my damn guild to talk in this game, even in the cities during peak time.

Don't get me wrong, I love this game, and I like it for what it is--a game I am duoing with my wife. This game, to me, has more the feel of some LAN game I am playing with her than a serious MMORPG, just because it is so quiet and no one really socializes.