Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MWO should not be in the hype rating list

McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
Title says it all. This game is not an mmo, so why does MMORPG.com persist with this nonsense? Embers of Caerus deserves to be rated above a non-mmo at least. 

Comments

• EinsamWulfEinsamWulf Member Posts: 69
    Please define what an MMO is in your opinion

Terminus
    Legend Gaming Website | Join Us
    EinsamWulf- Legionnaire of Terminus
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sidfusidfu Member Posts: 170
    mwo is more of a fps than a mmo. hell its not even very good it just has good graphics but i had more fun playiing the mechwarror mod than it since the mod has infantry, aircraft and land vechs. they already stated in mwo they will nevver put in any of that
  • HodoHodo Member Posts: 542

If your going to complain about MWO, then you should complain about, the 300 other games on this site that are just flash games, or FPS.   I have no problems with MWO being here or being removed from here, but where do you draw the line?

SWTOR was a MMO in name only.  You spent more time doing things on your own then actually interacting with other players.   Same for TSW, and a few others, so should they be removed too because they arent true MMORPGs?   

Cant be picky with your hate, its a all or nothing system.

So much crap, so little quality.

• TibernicusTibernicus Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Fros7bite
    Originally posted by Czanrei
    Title says it all. This game is not an mmo, so why does MMORPG.com persist with this nonsense? Embers of Caerus deserves to be rated above a non-mmo at least. 

Well it is; and it will be. Does this bother you that much?

It's not an MMO, but MMORPG.com has a ton of odd games here that aren't MMOs. They do it so they can have more coverage and get more money.

No one would actually defend that MWO is an MMO. No more than Age of Empires Online is an MMO. Just because it requires an internet connection, does not mean its an MMO.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Originally posted by Hodo

If your going to complain about MWO, then you should complain about, the 300 other games on this site that are just flash games, or FPS.   I have no problems with MWO being here or being removed from here, but where do you draw the line?

SWTOR was a MMO in name only.  You spent more time doing things on your own then actually interacting with other players.   Same for TSW, and a few others, so should they be removed too because they arent true MMORPGs?   

Cant be picky with your hate, its a all or nothing system.

ROFL, ROFL, speak for your self, I played both games and grouped 90% of the time, so not sure what your talking about in either games plenty to do with others, just because you gamers choose to be Anti social in an MMo does not mean the game does not have group play.

SWTOR has as much grouping as WOW did at release and after, there are plenty of grouping, so does TSW, I still play both and group all the time, now GW2 is another story, unless your Wvw, there hardly any going on.....  I laugh when Gamers say this, Bleh, learn to do group content and stop being Anti social.

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Darkcrystal

ROFL, ROFL

GW1 isn't an MMO, why is it on the site?  If you remove MWO, then remove GW1 as well.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

As I understand them I wouldn't really count Plantetside 2, Neverwinter, Torchlight 2, or MWO as MMO'.s but all four of those are on the top voted games list.  MMORPG has branched out quite a lot over the last few years which isn't really a bad thing.

Originally posted by udon

As I understand them I wouldn't really count Plantetside 2, Neverwinter, Torchlight 2, or MWO as MMO'.s but all four of those are on the top voted games list.  MMORPG has branched out quite a lot over the last few years which isn't really a bad thing.

Well Planetside 2 at least has (from what I remember) a large open world filled with many players, aka a true massively multiplayer experience.   The other three you mentioned, not so much.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Everyone's definition of what a MMO is has changed over the years. While I don't know that MWO is really what I think of when I think of MMO's, it is ok if someone here at MMORPG.com thinks differently. From what I can see of MWO, it is basically a shooter with several maps and not other elements then a normal tactical shooter would have. That is not even a barebones MMO to me. If it had a higher level of strategic input and interaction, perhaps some crafting and some "always on" larger worlds I might think differently.

I should add, I hope MWO does well no matter how people classify it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630
    It's An MMO if lots of people have access to the game , there is no requirement for someone to group fro a game to be an MMO. It takes all kinds.

Originally posted by Isane
    It's An MMO if lots of people have access to the game , there is no requirement for someone to group fro a game to be an MMO. It takes all kinds.

According to this guy Skyrim is an MMO.  lots of people have access to the game, after all.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It's somewhat interesting, because in a sense it somewhat fits the basic concepts of a MMO.  Keep in mind, that MMO does not mean MMORPG.  MMORPG is a type of MMO.  That being said though, it's tough not to call it a MMO.

Is it your big open world, running around, etc, etc, etc?  No.

There is a persistent world though.  Sure, one might think of it as a persistent ladder - but it's more than just a ladder.  The results of those fights affect that persistent world.

There's also character advancement...in that persistent world.  There's different roles you can play...in that persistent world.

There are several features from a MMO - and - well, depending on what a person's cutoff point for what is needed; it would be or it would not be.

Some might see it as little more than instanced PvP - that it's a MP FPS game - with advancement and certain RPG elements to it.  There will be a "massive" number of people that might be fighting at any given time.  While they're not actually interacting with each other - their actions reflect upon the world.

In a curious way, that actually offers more than what we generally see in our static themepark games where thousands of people rescued the princess before you and thousands more will rescue the princess after you.

It's going to be somewhat rough for some folks, it will have the EVE, Auto Assault, Perpetuum, etc, etc, etc thing going for it.

To an extent, that kind of ticks me off.  Heh, but that's because as it stands - I would see this more as BattleTech Online rather than MechWarrior Online.  MechWarrior was the title of the RPG game - and - it most definitely involved time outside of the 'mechs.

This is more along the lines of the tabletop wargaming aspect online - a massive campaign being played out by a group of players around the world.  Far more than the guys down in the basement or at the local game shop...

Given how much most MMOs are little more than single player games in persistent worlds for so many folks - MWO having folks playing together, even in smaller groups, but those playing affecting others - well, yeah - I'd say it squeaks by as far as MMO.

It's not UO MWO edition, not AC, not EQ, not AO, not WoW, not RIFT, not TSW, etc, etc, etc - no - it's not that type of game.  But then again, most of those are not what they were either.

MWO's very tempting - I started my BT experience back when it was BattleDroids...so it's very tempting.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• crabcakes66crabcakes66 Member Posts: 5
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

According to this guy Skyrim is an MMO.  lots of people have access to the game, after all.

Skyrim has multiplayer with thousands of people in the same game? News to me.

• ed_angered_anger Member UncommonPosts: 60

there is going to be a community warfare aspect of MWO that isnt in the game yet, it will be closer to Eve with Empire space and 0.0 space:

http://mwomercs.com/news/2011/12/44-dev-blog-1-community-warfare

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    MWO is on here the same reason End of Nations, World of Tanks, Tribes Ascend and Global Agenda is...You're playing with a mix from a pool of players worldwide. Seems massive enough for me.
  • c-trayc-tray Member Posts: 98

I understand why any game that is multiplayer has a right to be on this site however I disagree with most peoples term of MMO. According to this thread and many people analogies, Battle Field XXXX is and mmo, Diablo X is an MMO, any multiplayer where massive amounts of people have access to the game is an MMO.

MWO is 8v8 games that last on average 5-9 minutes. MMO? doesn't seem like an MMO to me. fun? yes. Ofcourse it needs a shit ton of work before it can be called close to ready for market, ftp or not. They can not take money from clients in the current state of the game, unless they plan to refund all purchaces made with real money after the soon to start open beta phase is over.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by kadepsyson

I think he just has a poor grasp of english or something. I believe what he intended was that lots of people can be in (or access) the same game / world together. He is right though that grouping is not a requirement of being an MMO. We all play MMOs for different reasons,a nd for many grouping is not one of those reasons.

As far as MWO goes, it definitely is not an MMO. Its basically a lobby based FPS game with teams against eachother. Basically COD with Mechs. The sad part though isnt that its on this site, but that the devs themselves are actually calling it an MMO. It makes me wonder if any of them have ever played one.