Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

Comments

• ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    pvp and WvW chat 24/7
  • ShimpoGenmuShimpoGenmu Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by Comaf
    F2P mmo without the RPG - shouldn't be shocked.  Just have fun with the game - it's just a fun BG game seriously :)

actualy either u like it or not its the best themepark mmo [mod edit]

• AlucardlbAlucardlb Member Posts: 83

just spent like 10 mins in LA talking about colors for armor with someone who looked just like me. so far im enjoying the conversations alot that i have had with people

About the guild part, you might want to look into seeing if your guild has a vent server, i run one for my guild and that tends to be why gchat is dead

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    That's completely different from what im experiencing. Chat seems extremely active on my server.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

Simply put there is no need for chat. All you have to do is follow the zerg and do your own thing.

Just as taliking to npc's to get quests was replaced by hearts because talking to a npc was just too

damn hard and boring. The need for strategy or any need to communicate with your fellow player has

been phased out. GW2 is just a very good supercasual gamefor those that can't be bothered with such things.

All hail the new messiah of MMO's and the way of things to come!

• bbbmmmlllbbbmmmlll Member Posts: 79
    Instead of chatting with others, people are playing with others. Actually I see plently of pointless discussions going on which I try to ignore. Plus some occasional dungeon discussions.
  • StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that!

Yeah damn I'll try that. haha

I'd be really careful with that. Anet has been really coming down HARD on people who they deem to be creating a "hostile environment".

Yeah, maybe the 3 day bans because someone goes to tattletown on you are helping keep people quiet.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that!

Yeah damn I'll try that. haha

I'd be really careful with that. Anet has been really coming down HARD on people who they deem to be creating a "hostile environment".

Seriously? Wow why don't we name this game North Korea Online already? :)

' we don't like people to talk, and if you talk about something that is touchy or otherwise we do not like then prepare to get punished as we see fit'. Nice.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Depends on the hours for me.  Sometimes non stop and other times dead. However, if its quiet and I ask for help, I always get immediate responses.

But its on par with most MMO's.  Just doesn't have the endless stream of 'LFG, LFH, LFT!' which I am grateful for.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

On my server I see some chatter in /map but for the most part GW2 is a solo player game.

They removed the need for tradtiional grouping for 90% of the content, instead you just run around Zerging content with a bunch of other non connected , non organized strangers.

It is funny hwo empty and sad game play has become from the days of UO and EQ where your success depended on others.  Groups were a primary focus of game play and this fostered the creation of an entire community of people working together because you had to in order to progress, anti social players were stuck in very few class options that were viable.  

The Commuity also added so much to the game,  on Rallos (PvP server),  there was insane politics, Guild rivalries, and TONS of competition.   Players built reputations and became well known to everyone and in a strange way the Community had the ability to shape players,  if you were a jerk or a terrible player you could end up beign shunned by most players, making it tough to level since very few people would group up with you.

Ahh the good old days...   Now all we have is a bunch of entitled  "Special Snowflakes" playing in glorified Adventure DayCare MMOs... games are dumbed down to the point of absurdity,  grouping is punished by design, competition has become a four letter word and any game play that takes more than 10 minutes or requires that you pay attention is labeled "Grind" and gets the MMO brain deficient lemmings in an uproar.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Xzen
    Currently in game and chat is scrolling non stop.

same.. map chat almost never stops it seems.. usually it's to much chatter and i just leave on my guild chat tab

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by chryses

Depends on the hours for me.  Sometimes non stop and other times dead. However, if its quiet and I ask for help, I always get immediate responses.

But its on par with most MMO's.  Just doesn't have the endless stream of 'LFG, LFH, LFT!' which I am grateful for.

^ this times 1000:)

has been such a HUGE relief not just to not see it but not to have to do it myself:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• compoundcutcompoundcut Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

This ^

• SigilaeaSigilaea Member Posts: 317

1. My guild is so large we spend our time talking amongst ourselves. I do say "hello" , "thank you" , "do you need help" to outsiders, but I generally share stories about my herpes outbreak to the guild only.

2. We use Vent to communicate so our hands are free to play. Most people probably do the same now.

3. General chit chat among strangers has been on the decline in all games that I have played.

4. The nature of the communications among strangers in a couple of games was not what I wanted to hear anyway: "More DPS B-tch! Omg you suxxors! Kick him out of our random group. What is your gearscore?"

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Maybe people r too busy absorbing the atomsphere of the game and having fun doing stuff with each other... instead of idling and standing around and debating about each other's sexual orientation or ohter ppl's parent's health unlike a lot of other mmos?

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

I talk with people all the time o.O

Saying something in /say or /map seems to get a response at all times really, haven't experienced not getting a response from people atleast

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443
    Originally posted by Emeraq

I dunno.. A manager of a branch at the company I used to work for used to say "If you're talking you can't be working".. So maybe, if you're chatting you can't be playing?

To right if your talking your not working, now get back to work, grind grind grind to 80 last one there is a noob, so stop all the talking and get grinding, I mean working, I mean playing!

Guild Wars 2 cured my cancer!

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    glad I am in a good server then because I have no problems with communiction via chat; however, I ignore the chat when doing the personal story lol

• JZeroVNJZeroVN Member Posts: 46

I rarely chat because there is virtually no down time in this game.  I'm playing constantly, not standing around.  Plus I'm on the combat tab 99% of the time and I don't even see the chat going on in the first tab.  I still interact  with other players all day long thru combos, rezzing and various support skills that affect all the players around me.  On the rare occasion I actually catch the bubble chat over someone's head I respond if it seems directed at me.  I typed at least 3 replies in the 8 hours I played today.  :)

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

I can't see the reason to "chat" really... I find most of the stuff written on /map too stupid to even bother commenting.

When it comes to saying "hi" on chat... Oh come on, really... It's ok to be nice and all... But I really find it unncecessary to say "hello world!!!!" every time you log in. I mean, Imagine if every single player did that!

However I do answer questions on subjects that I consider to deserve clarification. Which again is pretty rarely, since most of the questions players ask, are questions about stuff that is pretty clear, but it is unclear to them, due to their over-lazyness to even try to figure it out.

And I don't like people that are too lazy to figgure out the simplest of things, so they rather bother me for explenation...

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425
    Easily the most silent game I've played. Be it in /map /tell or /guild. If you do wanna chat I suggest going to LA. My guess is the game is too hard to be able to grind and chat at the same time. In a game like wow I can easily chat while playing. Not so in GW2.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by compoundcut
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

This ^

This as well lol

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by compoundcut

This ^

This as well lol

This. Because: Silent synergy > unnecessary communication.

Or to put it with a quote from my asura: "Such synergy!"

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

I find it to be fairly active and not that hard to get a bit of chat going.  Usually get a good few responses both in map and guild chat when I say evening and not that hard to strike up some chat in map most of the time.

Guess I'm just lucky that my server is a friendly talkative bunch. Gandarra EU

• Lycurgus61Lycurgus61 Member Posts: 3
    People are zone chatting on Tarnished Coast, about events popping, where to find this or that and asking for help with Vet or Champ mobs. Seems normal to me