Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 The most unsocial MMO I have ever played

Comments

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I happen to agree with others that the blame lies with you. You are basically so anti-social that you require forced small scale grouping to chat to people? Go make some friends, get involved and play the game the way you want...
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    These are just my opinions and what I define group social play as and not as.  Having people around me does not count as being part of a group to me.  Having players attack the same mob while having no social interaction with them and no designed plan for the fight does not count as a group for me.  GW2 does have group atmosphere in the dungeons and mists battlegrounds.  However I agree 100% that DEs and WvW is very far from a group atmosphere.

how is everyone helping eachother.. everyone fighting for a common goal in a cooperative manner not a group atmosphere? I have never been downed in a DE that had people around where I did not get a rez within seconds.. many people in this game go out of their way to rez people all the time..  if we are all fighting together, doing combos, rezzing, supporting eachother just because it doesn't require constant talking its not a "group atmosphere"? I don't really understand this argument

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• HorrorScopeHorrorScope Member UncommonPosts: 599
    Luckily I bring my own band of merriman with me. I don't even really play MMO's. I play small group co-op MMO's. The rest of you are random moving NPC's to me! :) All I ever needed was single player RPG's to have a 4-6 man coop option and this genre would have never needed to exist for me. Cool story, I know.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Wrender

C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

I feel like I am playing a solo game.

I havent played a solo rpg in like 10 yrs and this aspect of GW2 is driving me absolutly crazy. I play MMO's to interact and overcome challenges with like minded players I meet in game.

I left TERA for this?

I like the games asthetics and artwork but this lack of any social interaction is killing me and I see myself going back to TERA pretty soon now.

There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

Is this what our society has become? Anti social freAKS THAT ARE HATING ON EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET? iT'S BAD ENOUGH driving around in my car and observing how pissed off about 90% of everyone I meet is but it should be different in an mmo game where everyone is expected to have fun in an online game.

ANyone else feel this way.

I am not in a guild yet so hopefully when and if I get in one this will change or it will sadly be uninstalled and sold to a friend.

Don't blame others for your own anti-social behavior, please. I am finding plenty of people to talk to and have a good time with. It's nothing but your own fault if you find no one to play with.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Questing style MMO's will never be as social as group grind style MMO's, its just the way it is. One reason I am almost religiously saying questing needs to go away, or MMO's will forever be MSOUEG (Massively Singleplayer Online Until Endgame Game).

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    These are just my opinions and what I define group social play as and not as.  Having people around me does not count as being part of a group to me.  Having players attack the same mob while having no social interaction with them and no designed plan for the fight does not count as a group for me.  GW2 does have group atmosphere in the dungeons and mists battlegrounds.  However I agree 100% that DEs and WvW is very far from a group atmosphere.

how is everyone helping eachother.. everyone fighting for a common goal in a cooperative manner not a group atmosphere? I have never been downed in a DE that had people around where I did not get a rez within seconds.. many people in this game go out of their way to rez people all the time..  if we are all fighting together, doing combos, rezzing, supporting eachother just because it doesn't require constant talking its not a "group atmosphere"? I don't really understand this argument

This topic almost deserves it's own thread because when I played WoW we discussed the same thing.

When you enter the dungeon finder to do a dungeon. You get a group. Everyone says hello, then you proceed to work together to do the dungeon but unless someone screws up, no one usually speaks. (Especially the leveling dungeons)

There are exceptions of course, occasionally you will get a fun group.

The argument goes in WoW, is that truely a mulitplayer expirience since you are grouping, or is it still basically a solo expirience since many times you go through a whole dungeon where very little is said?

There are arguments on both sides, and I think it goes beyond WoW or in the case of this discussion, GW2.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

It's funny how some people are saying it's specifically the GW2 player base that is anti-social or the game's fault.  It's just so far fetched to blame the player, isn't it?  How is it many of us are having no issues with socializing in the game?  You can form groups in this game if that makes you feel social you know?  To say that people don't form groups at hearts becuase they don't need to is the equivalant of saying people are not forming groups to kill 10 rats.   MMOs aren't so hard that you need to form and discuss strategy to do basic non-dungeon level questing.  This isn't GW2's fault either.  Again blame MMO players for that.  However,  I would like to see anyone attempt do a dungeon or WvW without being social.  Sure you can form a group and run AC without communication, but chances are you won't make it past the 2nd boss unless your whole group is made up of de-leveled 60+'s with decent gear.  Then,..maybe.   You sure as hell are not going to take and hold any keeps in WvW being anti-social unless you are riding on the coat tails of organized guilds who are, you know,  being social.   Again, just like any other MMO out there, it is what you make of it. 

To think there was a post a few days ago about someone complaining there was a map chat channel in GW2.  Jeez you guys just can't decide on what you hate about GW2.  If only a moderator would sticky one "Hate" thread to rule them all and another "Love" one these boards would be so much easier to stomach.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857
    What kills me is when people suggest forced grouping. No, negative reinforcement like that wiml just make people hate your game. If grouping had some positive reinforcement and provided an overall positive experience in game, things would be different. You basically need to rethink guild design and game design. Joining guilds? Not a fun experience for the most part. They are all the same.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

If you aren't in a group in the open world... are many mmo's that social in that aspect? To me the most social part is when you group up and run dungeons. Oh yes a paradox, those dastardly instances that every mmo'er hates because it cuts you off of the open world... But somehow those instance groups do become more social. At least for some players and some games. Strange how that can work.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by rodingo

It's funny how some people are saying it's specifically the GW2 player base that is anti-social or the game's fault.  It's just so far fetched to blame the player, isn't it?  How is it many of us are having no issues with socializing in the game?  You can form groups in this game if that makes you feel social you know?  To say that people don't form groups at hearts becuase they don't need to is the equivalant of saying people are not forming groups to kill 10 rats.   MMOs aren't so hard that you need to form and discuss strategy to do basic non-dungeon level questing.  This isn't GW2's fault either.  Again blame MMO players for that.  However,  I would like to see anyone attempt do a dungeon or WvW without being social.  Sure you can form a group and run AC without communication, but chances are you won't make it past the 2nd boss unless your whole group is made up of de-leveled 60+'s with decent gear.  Then,..maybe.   You sure as hell are not going to take and hold any keeps in WvW being anti-social unless you are riding on the coat tails of organized guilds who are, you know,  being social.   Again, just like any other MMO out there, it is what you make of it. 

To think there was a post a few days ago about someone complaining there was a map chat channel in GW2.  Jeez you guys just can't decide on what you hate about GW2.  If only a moderator would sticky one "Hate" thread to rule them all and another "Love" one these boards would be so much easier to stomach.

And the moderators could probably cut down to one bottle of Jack Daniels a day and their therapy bills would be cheaper.

I agree 110% with your post. It is getting beyond ridiculous even. It is one thing after another and it is over a sill $60 video game. 

The forums should be about disussing the pros of each others games. Go to the forum of your choice and learn about the game you enjoy. Help one another with hints and develop guides, something constructive. I can see the occasional discussion about my Dad is stronger than your Dad, but this is just childish.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

I think it depends on what you consider social and unsocial.  For me the game is incredibly social. 3 key points for me are:

- Although not 'grouped' officially I have never completed worked with so many people in any other MMO

- I have never had the feeling of trying to fight through a fight to revive someone or see people fight there way to revive me.

- If something does kick off near you, you don't have to start spamming LFG in region. You know people will swarm over to you.  Plus the fact you can see a 'downed' player on the mini map means players are inclined to head out and help to. I know I do.

If you want more social there are always guilds that you can join with TS or whatever.

Originally posted by Souldrainer
    What kills me is when people suggest forced grouping. No, negative reinforcement like that wiml just make people hate your game. If grouping had some positive reinforcement and provided an overall positive experience in game, things would be different. You basically need to rethink guild design and game design. Joining guilds? Not a fun experience for the most part. They are all the same.

The best for me is finding people who you can play with and take with you game to game.

In many mmo's the benifit of grouping is bonus XP. It all is a strange dynamic that isn't what it always appears to be at face value.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Amjoco

And the moderators could probably cut down to one bottle of Jack Daniels a day and their therapy bills would be cheaper.

I agree 110% with your post. It is getting beyond ridiculous even. It is one thing after another and it is over a sill $60 video game. 

The forums should be about disussing the pros of each others games. Go to the forum of your choice and learn about the game you enjoy. Help one another with hints and develop guides, something constructive. I can see the occasional discussion about my Dad is stronger than your Dad, but this is just childish.

Why have forums at all? Lets just have 1 or 2 sticky in each game and disable everyone's abiolity to post. That'll keep the rif raf out won't it??

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

people usually only chat when they are bored. Hence you might see less chat.

myself ive had no such problems.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    The MMO I grouped the most in was Shadowbane, and then SWTOR, with Vanguard a close third
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    The MMO I grouped the most in was Shadowbane, and then SWTOR, with Vanguard a close third

I played Vanguuard as a solo game, not that I wanted to but my work hours and the game being kind of empty when I got there forced that on me.

DDO was a very group centric game(especially in the early days) and what was one of the biggest complaints in that game? PUGs, pick up groups. People complained all the time about the lack of skill in the avergae PUG. So while forced grouping might cause socializing it also causes complaining.

I find in GW2 that the game itself is not anti social but the structure of the game does not force socializing. People will then socialize at their own pace. For some that might be in cities during downtime only, others keep up a running dialog the entire time they play.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by Wrender

C'mon I thought pretty much all new MMO's were nothing but solo online games but GW2 takes the grand prize here. No one groups at all, ever...

I feel like I am playing a solo game.

I havent played a solo rpg in like 10 yrs and this aspect of GW2 is driving me absolutly crazy. I play MMO's to interact and overcome challenges with like minded players I meet in game.

I left TERA for this?

I like the games asthetics and artwork but this lack of any social interaction is killing me and I see myself going back to TERA pretty soon now.

There is just really not much point in lvling to 80 if I am doing it without mingling with a single real life human being?

Is this what our society has become? Anti social freAKS THAT ARE HATING ON EVERY OTHER HUMAN BEING ON THE PLANET? iT'S BAD ENOUGH driving around in my car and observing how pissed off about 90% of everyone I meet is but it should be different in an mmo game where everyone is expected to have fun in an online game.

ANyone else feel this way.

I am not in a guild yet so hopefully when and if I get in one this will change or it will sadly be uninstalled and sold to a friend.

It's ironic that you say that.  You seem to be disappointed about not socializing through a virtual game.  If you want socialization, go do something with friends, like play cards or sports, and not something online. ;)

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91

If only a moderator would sticky one "Hate" thread to rule them all and another "Love" one these boards would be so much easier to stomach.

I really don't want them to do this. Sure it would cut down on moderation and repeat threads but it also would kill a lot of meaningful discussion as well. The civfanatics forums did this for Civ 5 after there was a big backlash against the game at release and it pretty much killed the meaningful discussion of the game and led to all the disappointed people quitting to go back to Civ 4 while Civ 5's community languished and died.

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    These are just my opinions and what I define group social play as and not as.  Having people around me does not count as being part of a group to me.  Having players attack the same mob while having no social interaction with them and no designed plan for the fight does not count as a group for me.  GW2 does have group atmosphere in the dungeons and mists battlegrounds.  However I agree 100% that DEs and WvW is very far from a group atmosphere.

I think for many people the difference is that you probably can't remember 99% of the players you have done DE's with, even if they rezzed you or you combined for a nice combo or you teamed up to take down a veteran or champion. Maybe occasionally you might get lucky and make a friend but it is rare that anyone is actually interested in anyone else as anything more than a rez battery. I personally haven't been lucky and have 0 people on my friends list after 50 hours. I am sure I could go out and spam people until I found some but I don't really want to do that. I just feels kinda anonymous at times.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by Amjoco

Why have forums at all? Lets just have 1 or 2 sticky in each game and disable everyone's abiolity to post. That'll keep the rif raf out won't it??

The forums are not the issue here, its the content that is. The next portion would be maturity level of those who are antagonist. For example, you gave no merit or consideration to the idea of members staying in their forum of choice and discussing that game, instead you went on to try and bait an argument. 

So, instead of continuing an unecessary point I will end here. Have a good evening.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Truth: Game does not incentivize forming parties. No direct rewards.

False: There's no reason to form parties.

My Opinion: It just so happens that the benefits that a party offers does not interest you. Main reason for forming a party is for dungeons.

Truth: Parties are automatically formed in DEs.

False: There's no reason to talk to other participating players.

My Opinion: Not all DEs are soloable. These ones are the equivalent of your favorite group quests. Try soloing the Swamp Lord, or the Bloodwitch Krait.

Truth: I feel alone on my server.

False: The game is anti-social.

My Opinion: Well, it sucks that you're in such server playing on that timezone. Why don't you try transferring to the servers of these people who have an opposite experience from yours?

There's also Explorable Dungeons and WvWvW. Personal story is intended to be a solo affair, although I have assisted a couple friends with their PS because they find them too hard when alone.

I don't find the game to be anti-social at all, but I do hope they improve on the party mechanic in order to encourage (but not force) people to group up.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Tarnished Coast - Hoelbrak. I spend a lot of time there and there are plenty of people chatting it up. It's one of the things I look forward to when heading back to craft.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• BijouBijou Member UncommonPosts: 145

I don't understand these threads. What are you doing during DEs? Stay silent? WORNG! If no one talks, start talking (but don't be annoying). Say something about the DE, mobs, the map or improvise. Like, yesterday during a DE a character said "Almost ready" and immediately after that another one said "For great justice" and I was like "LOL, we're almost ready for great justice! xD" and people started laughing and trying to come up with other combinations, it was hilarious. x) We stayed after DE talking about skills and stuff, haha. It was fun! Seriously, if you stay silent, nothing's gonna happen. You have to encourage people with some chat. It works wonders. :)

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Originally posted by Bijou

I don't understand these threads. What are you doing during DEs? Stay silent? WORNG! If no one talks, start talking (but don't be annoying). Say something about the DE, mobs, the map or improvise. Like, yesterday during a DE a character said "Almost ready" and immediately after that another one said "For great justice" and I was like "LOL, we're almost ready for great justice! xD" and people started laughing and trying to come up with other combinations, it was hilarious. x) We stayed after DE talking about skills and stuff, haha. It was fun! Seriously, if you stay silent, nothing's gonna happen. You have to encourage people with some chat. It works wonders. :)

Hmm ok ..So you have to run around and "lure" players to actually speak..

Would it not be better if the game provided the reason for you to speak, with actual group finding, tactical planning etc..

Ohh I almost forgot players do not have the time to do that :)

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I agree to some extent... tis really odd in that manor. Rather then 'grouping up' or talking, you just end up being around people. In that way you interact more with people doing stuff with others... but at the same time you are not REALLY doing anything together, your just doing the same thing and happen to be working together on it. 

Its an odd thing for a game to be having you working with a group yet not really 'working' together. I can't claim it is the most unsocial, but it feels like I have far less insentive to talk with others then most games.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

So i guess this proves that players are to be blamed here? a lot of MMOS in past got unfair criticism from people especially GW2 fans for being not social enough even though all MMOS encourage you to group up.

I remember reading how GW2 will change the social structure of MMOS and people will communicate more and yet once again we are faced with silent community. Yes we play on side of each other but not with each other.

And if even GW2 is having this problem what does it show? that devs can not do anything to make players social all they can do is offer you options. SWTOR, RIft, TSW all  these MMOS had simialr topics....'feels like single player MMO' or 'the most unsocial game evarrr'.

And here we are again. 

Bite Me