Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

Comments

• west715west715 Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I too play GW2 and it seems no one talks in chat or even in my guild chat.....I think everyone just doing mad dash to lvl 80.
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

it's because you never have to group with anyone to do anything at anytime ever.  Everyone gets credit for just running around bashing things during hearts and events so why would you ever chat?

I never chat to anyone in gw2. Doesn't help me gain anything so it's unnecessary.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that!
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Chat just seems normal to me.. doesn't seem any different from any other MMO. Dunno why you want to play a game to chat though.. I'd use an actual chat room for that.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

When I log in I send a greeting out on Map chat. Today I got teh first responce in 3 days. Then I realized it wasnt in responce to me but was an attempt to fill a group. for AC explore.

I do however get lots of gold/powerleveling spam mail. Which I find unexpected as the claim was made that being able to buy gems would cancel this out.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by bingbongbros

it's because you never have to group with anyone to do anything at anytime ever.  Everyone gets credit for just running around bashing things during hearts and events so why would you ever chat?

I never chat to anyone in gw2. Doesn't help me gain anything so it's unnecessary.

I dont understand, what do you want to gain ?  I really dont understand some answers here, you are playing a social multiplayer roleplaying game  and act like playing offline or are you outside of the virtual world similar shy with social communication ? 

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Yeah damn I'll try that. haha

• FurrballsFurrballs Member Posts: 30
    They're probably afraid of being censored or permabanned for saying something mildly profane lol
    Originally posted by spizz

I dont understand, what do you want to gain ?  I really dont understand some answers here, you are playing a social multiplayer roleplaying game  and act like playing offline or are you outside of the virtual world similar shy with social communication ? 

Yeah I just play with my buddy I've known for 11 years.  We group up and do things and chat in party chat.  Everyone else around me is just doing their own thing and that's fine for me.  I don't talk to anyone in the real world either, why would I?  I don't know them and I don't want too.

Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I dunno.. A manager of a branch at the company I used to work for used to say "If you're talking you can't be working".. So maybe, if you're chatting you can't be playing?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

And how does chatting help you in other games? I've played a ton of mmorgs and usually people talk only when in dungeon and only at boss for strategies. Keep yapping in chat for most of the time in a dungeon to make sure you get booted for not being active in combat lol.

Oh I do chat with people too, in /g and when I'm idling or doing something unimportant that requires only a bit concentration. This usually amplifies greatly after getting at least one char to max level and exploring most of the maps and content. I dont buy mmorpgs to chat all day long on the first few weeks.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

This. Exactly. Lack of social interaction really kills an MMO for me. I'm not sure I will be able to re-adjust this sad game oddity )for lack of a better word)

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386

Yeah I just play with my buddy I've known for 11 years.  We group up and do things and chat in party chat.  Everyone else around me is just doing their own thing and that's fine for me.  I don't talk to anyone in the real world either, why would I?  I don't know them and I don't want too.

That's called antisocial anxiety disorder and yes there is meds for that. I'm afraid with games like this this malady is going to further infect the entire real world if something is not done about it fast.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by Emeraq

I dunno.. A manager of a branch at the company I used to work for used to say "If you're talking you can't be working".. So maybe, if you're chatting you can't be playing?

Exactly this. I never understood the need to blabber like a preteen girl the way so many people do in chat. Just shut up and play the game. If you need to tell someone something then /local. If you have a question for players then it's /map. Otherwise just play the game and save your blabber for your next phone call.

Originally posted by Wrender

That's called antisocial anxiety disorder and yes there is meds for that. I'm afraid with games like this this malady is going to further infect the entire real world if something is not done about it fast.

I'm social with people at my community college and social with people I hang out with at my local bar.  But just to randomly socialize with strangers on my daily routine is very strange to me.  If someone passing me says "Hello." I'll return the kindness.  Don't know if that makes me antisocial anxiety disorder guy still haha

Ok, well this is not the average norm and extraordinary if you dont talk to anyone in the real world either. I understand and thank you for your explanation, but there are many thousands player online and most of them like in the real world communicate a lot with others outside of the pc world and thats why I wonder and look for the reasons.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Wrender

I'm social with people at my community college and social with people I hang out with at my local bar.  But just to randomly socialize with strangers on my daily routine is very strange to me.  If someone passing me says "Hello." I'll return the kindness.  Don't know if that makes me antisocial anxiety disorder guy still haha

I wouldn't be too concerned. Some call it cod-psychology or coffee-table-diagnosis. Others call it just playing a game how you want to play it. 

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Kuro1n
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko

Yeah damn I'll try that. haha

I'd be really careful with that. Anet has been really coming down HARD on people who they deem to be creating a "hostile environment".

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Emeraq

Depends what kind of work you do...tell this a teacher, politician or a salesman hehe.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Currently in game and chat is scrolling non stop.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

Again, some people talk more than others...  apparently a lot. In MMOs I prefer to speak with my DPS. I really have zero desire to strike up a /map converstaion. On the other hand, in RL, I will happily strike up a conversation with a stranger or co worker. Myself, and other players who are leaving similar posts, just don't feel the need to type like a 12 year old girl texting on her IPhone when we are trying to play a game.

Originally posted by jpnole

Again, some people talk more than others...  apparently a lot. In MMOs I prefer to speak with my DPS. I really have zero desire to strike up a /map converstaion. On the other hand, in RL, I will happily strike up a conversation with a stranger or co worker. Myself, and other players who are leaving similar posts, just don't feel the need to type like a 12 year old girl texting on her IPhone when we are trying to play a game.

Alright besides the social interaction, what about coordination in pvp ? People need to communicate since information is valueable. Not even this happens that often.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    F2P mmo without the RPG - shouldn't be shocked.  Just have fun with the game - it's just a fun BG game seriously :)

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Why this would be a surprise to anyone I have no idea,the trend has been present for years now.I knew GW2 would be no different well before release.