Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Much Money Did You Waste On City Of X?

2»

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

It is not a waste of time or money while you are playing it, as you are having fun, but then when the game is over it all becomes a waste of time and money, as characters, items, friendships you built up online are then destroyed.

Especially with SWG, as there is not another game out there, that we all enjoy, as it had wide range of features that attracted a wide range of players. The same could be for CoH - it was unique, and DCUO and CO do not cut it, so unless another Super Hero game comes along that is like CoH or better, that you will all enjoy, the friendships you built up online will evaporate, as you all move on to other things, especially if it does not involve online gaming.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Kalay

For me I figured at least six years at $143.00 a year including the exttra time for their christmas sales.  So that is roughly $900.00.  Plus the $9.99 that I put out for their special packs, at least 8 of them for $79.92.

Plus the initial prices of the games, City Of Heroes Collectors, City Of Villians Collectors, and the new 2 years old Rogue Isle pack.  Say $120.00 total if not more.

And a month or two here and there.  2 = 29.98

So for me around $1129.98.

I have 10 servers full of characters.  2 level 50s, one for Hero side, and one for Villian side.  Both punch tanks.  I was slowly leveing up each class side first.

I lost all of my veteran rewards, six years worth.  Plus the anniversary badges, and all the other badges that I spent useless time to get.  At least that time is useless now.

I also lost two years of Lineage 2 characters for another $300.00 when they had a merger.

How did you guys make out?  Small claims court?

I already have spent money on Guild Wars, the first one, and have been buying a few $9.99 costume packs.  So I wonder what will happen to that game?

After seeing this would you guys play any more NCsoft games?

It makes no sense.  The best character creator screen, the best teaming game, the Rikti fun raids.  It makes no sense to me why they would stop this game/service. 

If you get this serious about online games, you need to really reconsider.  It's not a waste if you had fun and got tons of hours out of it. 

There is no recourse for you.  No online game is guaranteed to last.  Don't spend money on items if you will regret it if the game goes under next month.  It's that simple.

Originally posted by thekid1

The game is EIGHT years old, what do you want?

Released at the same time as GTA San Andreas it is ANCIENT. We didn't even have ps3 and Xbox360 at that time, people were playing on the ZX Spectrum back then.

No one forced you to spend over a 1000 (Holy shit that much) on a videogame.

That is how I felt with SWG (getting serious with it), and it survived years past the NGE, I fell into the trap it was safe forever. EVen though I do not feel all of it was awaste except when subbed extra accounts and did not play them, but there is no way I can go spendiing money on future games now, when I feel they could be announced to shut down tomorrow.

SWG and CoH were shut down when the game was still thriving, and the devs had content planned. Before that, MMOs were shut down because they were failing and little player base, and content was non existent, and you could see the shut down coming a mile off.  Now there is no security in MMOs survivals. Companies decide to shut down MMOs on a whim now and with no decent reason, otherwise Paragon Studios would not be helping in saving CoH, and they (NC soft etc) can not keep getting away with it.

SWG was not a waste of money, but now all MMOs are a waste of money. Time and money better spent playing Xbox Live games, as you buy the game, have fun in multiplayer, buy the DLCs. When they shut down the servers to the multiplayer content, you still have the offline game and DLC (as long it is not multiplayer conetnt) you spent your money on.

I just think that MMO companies put too much on MMOs, as games like GTA San Andreas multiplayer servers can still stay up, and does not cost any money to play.

How can game servers to games that do not cost money to play get to stay operational, yet servers for games where people paying money for get shut down? What is our money paying for?

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160
     I played CoX years ago have my collectors set stuff. I had gotten board with it and did not even know it had gone FTP.  Last time I was looking for something to do I might have checked it out had they done a better job letting old subscribers know.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

For me I figured at least six years at $143.00 a year including the exttra time for their christmas sales.  So that is roughly $900.00.  Plus the $9.99 that I put out for their special packs, at least 8 of them for $79.92.

Plus the initial prices of the games, City Of Heroes Collectors, City Of Villians Collectors, and the new 2 years old Rogue Isle pack.  Say $120.00 total if not more.

I have 10 servers full of characters.  2 level 50s, one for Hero side, and one for Villian side.  Both punch tanks.  I was slowly leveing up each class side first.

I lost all of my veteran rewards, six years worth.  Plus the anniversary badges, and all the other badges that I spent useless time to get.  At least that time is useless now.

I also lost two years of Lineage 2 characters for another $300.00 when they had a merger.

I already have spent money on Guild Wars, the first one, and have been buying a few $9.99 costume packs.  So I wonder what will happen to that game?

It makes no sense.  The best character creator screen, the best teaming game, the Rikti fun raids.  It makes no sense to me why they would stop this game/service. 

You again.  Your first thread on this topic fell flat on its face, so here you are again trying to rile up the natives.

You didn't "waste" your money, you played a MMORPG, had a lot of fun I'm assuming from the time you spent, and now its time for it to end.

Did you waste your money on all those years of phone or cable TV service that you paid for?

You weren't investing in anything, you were playing a game, and now its over.

I spent about 200.00 total on this title as it never really captured my interest, but I didn't waste any money on it, I got what I paid for and had fun while it lasted.

Look, they are shutting it down because it isn't profitable anymore.  You may still love the game, but apparently not enough other people love it to the same degree.

Move on, find a new game to play, this one's come to a close.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

You again.  Your first thread on this topic fell flat on its face, so here you are again trying to rile up the natives.

You didn't "waste" your money, you played a MMORPG, had a lot of fun I'm assuming from the time you spent, and now its time for it to end.

Did you waste your money on all those years of phone or cable TV service that you paid for?

You weren't investing in anything, you were playing a game, and now its over.

I spent about 200.00 total on this title as it never really captured my interest, but I didn't waste any money on it, I got what I paid for and had fun while it lasted.

Look, they are shutting it down because it isn't profitable anymore.  You may still love the game, but apparently not enough other people love it to the same degree.

Move on, find a new game to play, this one's come to a close.

It is not time for it to end, and it was profitable. Otherwise Paragon Studios themselves would not be trying to save CoH too, and encouraging players to do so as well.

Stop spreading lies. This shut down is WRONG

FYI the OP has not been on the forums since 1st Sep, so he is not "here again"

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

So when you subscribe to cable TV or internet, when your subscription is over all that money has been lost? Your logic is exceptionally flawed. You paid to use it. Its no longer available.. you didn't lose anything. You paid for the time to use it.

Edit, I'd like to add I was in since beta. I don't feel like I lost anything. I think COH had it coming considering they made it so difficult for older players to return and pick it up again (that part is just my opinion).

Originally posted by madazz

So when you subscribe to cable TV or internet, when your subscription is over all that money has been lost? Your logic is exceptionally flawed. You paid to use it. Its no longer available.. you didn't lose anything. You paid for the time to use it.

Edit, I'd like to add I was in since beta. I don't feel like I lost anything. I think COH had it coming considering they made it so difficult for older players to return and pick it up again (that part is just my opinion).

I still record stuff from TV, so I can still rewatch stuff as much as I like. If City of Heroes was a TV show I would record it and lock it!

There are plenty of other games out there that do not require any extra money to play - no cash shops and no monthly fee. Funny thing is though that the servers for these game stay active longer than MMOs that cost you money, (unless they are EA servers!)

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

how was any of that money wasted? did you actually think you invest into something here?

as it sounds you had like 6 years of fun for your money.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

I did not waste a penny on CoX.  I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I am sad to see it going.

Ditto.  Was worth every cent I ever paid.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

How is that a waste if you enjoyed your time in game?

It's only a waste if, at every step and every penny, you spent grudgingly. And if that was the case this would be another type of conversation.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    I didnt waste my money I enjoyed my times and met some great people.  I am sad to see it go almost like an old pet.
    Originally posted by Thane

how was any of that money wasted? did you actually think you invest into something here?

as it sounds you had like 6 years of fun for your money.

It is just a matter of opinion though, but any one who does not feel they have wasted money on a MMO that gets shuts down,  has more money than sense.

Why now go play MMOs that cost you money, that you will not get to play forever,  when there are plenty of other games to buy that cost no money,  or if they do in DLC / expansion packs you get to keep and play forever?

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    How is it wasted? If you pay $60 for a normal game and then beat it, are you now out that $60? You paid for a service, you received that service, that service is no longer available. Its not like your subscription was a mortgage.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    How is it wasted? If you pay $60 for a normal game and then beat it, are you now out that $60? You paid for a service, you received that service, that service is no longer available. Its not like your subscription was a mortgage.

In general, it's pretty much this.

"Wasted" comes more to mind in buying a game that you hate.  Tada, you've wasted money.  If you spend the money and enjoy it - how have you wasted money?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• cityofheroessavecityofheroessave Member Posts: 23

Allowing NCSOFT to take full control of publishing and payment and running coh is a waste.

Paragon Studios should haved taken full charge of that mater.

Do you think Cryptic Studios should contiune the time card payments?

who do you want to take full control?

not Disney not ebay/google

This discussion has been closed.