Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hit 80 today: Big turnoff on leveling alts in all the same level 25+ zones

124»

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Game would be revitalised. Unfortunately blizzard are too greedy with their profits to invest in this.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps

Just going to guess that you will take your  time and actually enjoy the game.

Regardless of how many different approaches you take, you are still implying the OP is doing it wrong. Threads that focus on telling the OP they are doing it wrong, or threads where the OP tells the community they are doing it wrong are getting locked.

Of course, that could very well be your intention.

• DrafellDrafell Member Posts: 588

I warned about this during BWE 1, the fact that completing an area leaves you barely levelled enough to progress onwards and merely got hit by replies of "There are other starting zones!"

That's fine, until your second or third playthrough. Suddenly there are no unfamiliar events or 'new' content. You have been there before and got the t-shirt. Occasionally you may find the odd new DE, although it is not enough to promote that unique feeling on every playthrough.

The zones really are packed with content, yet you come away with the feeling that maybe there should have been 50% more to help alleviate replay fatigue.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There wasnt a single mmo that came out with the same amount of contend as GW2...
    If you rushed trough to game and dont want to check out all the meta events and complete each zone then its not Anet faulth, its yours.

This game aint for you ? so be it, but this is the best fracking mmo in the history of mmo's.
    It blows ANY other mmo out of the water, did it have a few hickups at launch ? ye it had a few, but most are already fixed.

They cant fix the queue, Anet provides FREE server change for the moment, if you dont like 1 / 5 hours long quees go migrate to a lesser populated realm.
    Take the options available, Anet has them for a reason you know ?

To any hater out there pulling guns blazing at GW2, i pity you, i realy do its your loss not ours :)
    Ive been in the ever lasting lands of mmo's for a long time, and without a second taught Arenanet created something very special, i havent played such complete mmo in a long time.

But hey iam just a single guy happy with its current mmo.

So far i have a 80 Ranger a 40 Gaurdian and a 20 Necromancer. iam at 340% world completion.
    Dint max any crafting profesions yet, but damn so much to do and so little time.

All i can say is, dont like it ? try something else ?

Also WvW = epic
    Spvp = epic
    levelign alts in diffrent zone's - THERE ARE TONS AND TONS OF ZONE's <-----TONS

What do you want OP ? when leveling alts you have diffrent options to level in, what you ask is 8 TOTALY diffrent zone's for each level range rofl....
    Wich mmo has that ? none...niente....nada....not a single mmo has that sorry bro.

I leveld my Ranger in 4 days to 80, thats super fast compared to Aion, you cry about to low exp ? wth ?

Your just giving your personal opinion and i tell you this, its your opinion mine is totaly diffrent, they should nerf the EXP by 30% tbh, leveling goes way to fast -_-

This game gets a 10/10 from me, call me a fanboy, but damn i havent had this much fun in MANY MANY years.

Warhammer - Aion - WoTLK - Cataclysm - SWTOR all bought and all landed straight in the trashcan.

Guildwars 2 is simply said, a diamond.

sorry m8, hope you find something else worth your time

• sleepr27sleepr27 Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Originally posted by Mothanos

There wasnt a single mmo that came out with the same amount of contend as GW2...

You can't be serious... SWTOR had more content than GW2 at launch. Stop being fanboys.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I'm not allowed to say you played it wrong.

But you played it wrong.

1) Do every heart, POI and vista in each region.

2) Farm every ore node I came across

3) Do almost every DE that popped up on my map. 

4) Did story quests when I hit the appropriate level

You forgot exploring every nook and cranny of the map looking for hidden stuff and triggering events yourself.

You probably didn't see half of the events perhaps much less.

And if you don't want  that there is always crafting (bad idea) and PVP.

• Hell_HammerHell_Hammer Member Posts: 75

You will eventually run into the same content no matter what game you play.

There might be two or three separate zones that are in the 15-25 level range, but after your second alt - you'll be replaying content.

It's inevitable and it is unreasonable to expect it to be otherwise in the foreseeable future.

I think I know the Barrens and Ashenvale by heart, but I didn't mind that because I always played a radically different character and my approach was radically different with each alt.

How that will fare in GW2 remains to be seen. When I finish my personal story with my warrior, I'll make another of a different race and see how it goes. 

I don't need to have 100% completed on each and every character, but I want to experience all the content eventually - and, yes, eventually replay it.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

If you rushed trough to game and dont want to check out all the meta events and complete each zone then its not Anet faulth, its yours.

This game aint for you ? so be it, but this is the best fracking mmo in the history of mmo's.
    It blows ANY other mmo out of the water, did it have a few hickups at launch ? ye it had a few, but most are already fixed.

They cant fix the queue, Anet provides FREE server change for the moment, if you dont like 1 / 5 hours long quees go migrate to a lesser populated realm.

To any hater out there pulling guns blazing at GW2, i pity you, i realy do its your loss not ours :)
    Ive been in the ever lasting lands of mmo's for a long time, and without a second taught Arenanet created something very special, i havent played such complete mmo in a long time.

So far i have a 80 Ranger a 40 Gaurdian and a 20 Necromancer. iam at 340% world completion.
    Dint max any crafting profesions yet, but damn so much to do and so little time.

Also WvW = epic
    Spvp = epic

What do you want OP ? when leveling alts you have diffrent options to level in, what you ask is 8 TOTALY diffrent zone's for each level range rofl....
    Wich mmo has that ? none...niente....nada....not a single mmo has that sorry bro.

I leveld my Ranger in 4 days to 80, thats super fast compared to Aion, you cry about to low exp ? wth ?

Your just giving your personal opinion and i tell you this, its your opinion mine is totaly diffrent, they should nerf the EXP by 30% tbh, leveling goes way to fast -_-

This game gets a 10/10 from me, call me a fanboy, but damn i havent had this much fun in MANY MANY years.

Warhammer - Aion - WoTLK - Cataclysm - SWTOR all bought and all landed straight in the trashcan.

Your opening statement invalidates your entire post.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by Medicated03

The way I leveled was:

My expectation is that it should be simple and wait free to run one zone for each of the following level ranges: 1-15, 15-25, 25-35, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 and 70-80.  Doing so would allow my first alt to run the alternate versions of those zones.  And a second alt could fill in by going to zones like the 35-45, 55-65, 70-75 and 75-80 zones.

see the green highlighted part ? how does that equate to "skipping" game content ? i love how you make out likt the OP rushded through the game somehow magically  , its quite obvious he enjoyed the PVE content to almost completion in all zones..... gotta laugh at some of the fanboi's responses

TYVM for backing me up.  My approach seems very reasonable and my expectations aren't unreasonable in my mind.

I loved leveling, I just hated seeing so much content on one character.  It leaves less to experience for the first time on my other characters.

Crafting makes up a LOT of my XP.

But I agree with you - it'd be nice if things were balanced so that playing the way you were playing got you to 80 without having to do multiple zones in the same level range.

They should have a complete linear path for those who choose that play style.

Cause let's face it, sometimes there is simply a DE famine and the Hearts/PoI/SP challenges etc. just aren't enough XP.

What I like to do OP is go to other zones and just wander, not stop for a single heart quest and only get PoI's and SP challenges and Vistas and stuff if they are obvious and right in my way - I don't spend time "figuring them out" so to speak. I just wander, explore, do the DE's I run into, and gain some levels.

I feel like I skip all the story and details of a zone when I do a kind of breeze-through like this.

Allows me to feel like I can then go back to "my path" without issue, but not "spoil" a zone for another character I plan to 100% these alternate zones on. Get me?

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

The way I leveled was:

I tried WvWvW just once, I was turned off by the zerg nature and the low EXP.  I was later turned off by the long queues.  I also tried crafting but found it didn't get me very far and I ran out of mats pretty quick.  I skipped the dungeons because I didn't want to run instances and felt I shouldn't have to.

In order to reach the cap with that four step approach, I ended up having to go to almost every zone that was tagged between 30 and 75.  The problem is that when I roll an alt, I'm going to be rerunning a LOT of content.

My expectation is that it should be simple and wait free to run one zone for each of the following level ranges: 1-15, 15-25, 25-35, 30-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60-70 and 70-80.  Doing so would allow my first alt to run the alternate versions of those zones.  And a second alt could fill in by going to zones like the 35-45, 55-65, 70-75 and 75-80 zones.

The only way I could see that happening using my leveling preference would be to have rerun and search for DE's after I completed the zone.  I feel that the zones were plenty large but that they didn't present me with enough EXP to be at the cap of the current zone.

I also felt that the EXP per story quest was far too low in many cases relative to the time spent. especially at higher levels.

You are lying! Period! Saying that you HAD to go to more then one 25-35 . 35-45 zone, etc, to lvl .. is a big joke , if you DID what you've said on the 5 steps. I am not even trying to go into other details, knowing that you kinda bash GW2 for some time.

Whoever PLAYS the game, know what I am talking about!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. 

LOL Yeah , I'm pretty much on the same schedule as you , I only have 1 character and hit lvl 41 last night. How the hell do people drill through content so dam fast ? lol

• Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152

Also WvW = epic
    Spvp = epic

I dont know if you are being sarcastic, i hope so, If not, plz take a break of GW2 is bad for your health. And GW2 have and insane amount of content, that why at 80, people is just making alts and doing the same thing that did since level 1. 

Fanboys will kill GW2.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Eletheryl

Also WvW = epic
    Spvp = epic

I dont know if you are being sarcastic, i hope so, If not, plz take a break of GW2 is bad for your health. And GW2 have and insane amount of content, that why at 80, people is just making alts and doing the same thing that did since level 1. 

Fanboys will kill GW2.

Fanboys? Who's coming to GW2 forum, and start bashing the .. ones who plays and enjoy the game? What do you expect? Flowers and free drink? The ones who complains that when you create an alt you do exactly the same , as you did with your first char are :

1) The ones who don't play the game

2) The ones who DON'T play the game as it meant to be played!

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by sleepr27

You can't be serious... SWTOR had more content than GW2 at launch. Stop being fanboys.

How are we judging it? We could compare # of quests (or events in the case of GW2) or map size or story pieces which wouldn't be very accurate.  The way GW2 wins this argument is that you are not locked out of content as you level.  Once you are 80 it's all open content while you're limited with swtor.

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

I don't have the problem the OP has because I queue up for WvW, craft a ton and kill a massive amount of mobs while exploring. 

There's this XP bonus you get for killing mobs quickly so i usually spend most of my time chaining mobs together.

I've yet to explore more than 1 zone per bracket. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

• GorkosGorkos Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Players who like alts must go through exactly the same starter zones (most of the time) and quests in other MMOs. At least in GW2 you might run into different events and do the quests in different order. Also, there are several 40+ zones, not only one. I don't understand your problem...
  • VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    Originally posted by Eletheryl

Also WvW = epic
    Spvp = epic

Fanboys will kill GW2.

The reason SOME people at 80 are just making alts is because they viewed getting to 80 as the goal of the game. That playstyle is fine, but it IS a choice.

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I'm really conscious of not ruining content for my alts and still have memories of areas I played during the beta weekends, I'd rather not repeat those until my main (well current main character, lots of classes I really enjoy) hits 80. I'm a crafter though and spending time crafting myself the best possible gear for my level, all my armour and jewelery are rare quality crafted, along with grinding the mobs for the totems has given me a fair amount of xp, I always seem to be on level for my personal story.

There is no denying this game has masses of content but it seems that it doesn't trigger enough to keep abreast with certain play styles. I completed one map, from north to south, from west to east and it was only when I hit the south east corner that any DE's trigerred, the rest of the map seemed devoid of them, I know that isn't the case, it was about timing. There definitely needed to be more smaller self triggering events going on in that area, I think I crossed it while everything was in the 'won' state.

We know that Anet have it down so that they can create DE's in a matter of hours, we also know they can create pretty awesome one off events, unfortunately they have to be focused on getting whats there running perfectly right now, that's completely understandable but work on more events I feel does need to happen sooner rather than later for some zones, and it would just be lovely if they treated us to an event similar to the closing events they did in a couple of the BWE's.

At least OP without a sub to worry about you can pick it up again when content has improved or been added. I hope you enjoyed your journey enough to revisit when that happens.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

The way I leveled was:

Everyone is going to play their own way.  In GW2 this is really a + IMO because you really can play different ways.  I could sit in Queensdale from 1-80 just doing the events since the rewards scale with your level.  Which is why I highlighted this.  You said you get hyped about leveling and I don't blame you although I personally play differently.

I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you skipped more than a few events because you wanted to get to that next vista or heart to get your map completion.  I may be wrong of course but it seems likely the reason you had to visit almost every zone to get to 80.  Events give a lot of XP and usually don't take very long.  They are also what makes GW2 seem different than other MMOs.

The good news is that when you create an alt you will have a lot to do.  Events pop up at different times and it seems like you missed a lot of them.  Happy hunting!