Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hit 80 today: Big turnoff on leveling alts in all the same level 25+ zones

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Nevulus
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Vanilla WOW wasn't the most fun leveling experience, but I think they got it right in the fact that your first character could easily level off of the zones in one continent and see the other continent on an alt.  That should be the standard.  

GW2 has the zones, just not enough content or EXP in them without grinding DEs.  The goal should be to provide choice and options on where to go when leveling.

I think Anet missed the boat on that one.

I agree, it would be nice to have unexplored content still waiting for you when you create your alt. I'm an altaholic, so I enjoy different leveling paths (guess that's y I did not like Rift). I think developers are just too busy, lazy, or uninterested in multiple paths.

you have more options to level to 80 in this game without repeating the exact same content than any other themepark out there at release and most even in their current state.. look at all the other recent releases if you want to complain about having to repeat content for alts.. this one is miles ahead in that regard.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341
    WTF I have a level 80 asura elementalist, and there are so many 25+ zones I didn't go or didn't complete in the charr zone .How can have you done em all and just hit 80.. It shock me, i guesed i leveled differently
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I think they made the boat bigger rather than missing it, I'm at level 36 and I've explored 15% of the map, there's a couple low level zones I have not touched and a loads of partially completed.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

I think they made the boat bigger rather than missing it, I'm at level 36 and I've explored 15% of the map, there's a couple low level zones I have not touched and a loads of partially completed.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• thenixothenixo Member Posts: 1

I'm almost at 40 now and I have had the opposite happen to me.

I've only done my personal story up to level 14.

I done barely any crafting or WvW (maybe about 1 hour of zerging)

Despite this, I've only done one zone per level range (Queensdale, Kessex Hilss, Gendarran Fields) and haven't at any point felt underlevelled. I think it's because I take my time, gather everything I see (even going out of my way to get nodes) and talk to every NPC I see. Because I'm not rushing from vista to POI to waypoint, I give myself more of a chance to catch DE's that spawn around me. I'm simply just playing the game. And it's working....

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    Originally posted by eyelolled

I don't doubt that if you've pushed max level, you're missing out on ALOT of the content. It's a shame if you ask me.

The point is to see them on alts.  Not to shoot my wad on the first character.

So why did you shoot your wad on the first character?  Your playstyle is a bit unusual, I don't think you can expect the game to change to suit your particular preference. 

It's a cost/benefit thing.  You want to level without doing some of the other stuff that gives you xp?  You're going to have to live with the fact that you'll be seeing a lot of content several times.  It's as simple as that.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    Originally posted by Jimmydean
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by PaRoXiTiC

I do the same thing you do and I'm not having your problems at all. 

Sounds like you need to repeat a few dynamic events and run to them whem people on map chat state they are up. Sounds like you are only doing DE's as they come along while you run around. You can can 1 or 2 DE's a few times and gain a level. I always outlevel the zone before I finish it.

In my experience there were only a few times when anyone announced a DE, and that was because they needed help.  It would certainly have been a lot better if I could see where every DE was on the map.  I did make the mistake of missing out on starting DE's early on as I thought they were automated.  But I almost never skipped an event when it popped up for me.

I'll probably roll an alt soon and so I'll see if I was mistaken on certain things.

sort of missing the whole point of the game in a way.. i know people hate to hear that but it's like playing TERA or this game and complain you can't just stand around and go toe to toe with everything without dying.. game was designed a certain way and to get the most out of it should be played that way. Again not telling people how to play but to understand and really enjoy PVE i would read the dev blogs and see how this world was designed.. if you are trying to paly it like other MMOs you will probably not be happy with it.. you play it like a open world type RPG you will probably enjoy the game a TON more.. at least I know it do:)

The whole point of the game is to play how you want. He's not "doing it wrong" because he doesn't want to repeat content. It is an issue with any level based game. 

I'd take the word of someone who is level 80 and actually seen the game over a developer who wants to sell the game, and someone who's only experience beyond level 30 is what the developer tells them.

You should take into consideration that people aren't telling him he's supposed to repeat content, rather that he's rushing past content.

For example, one might ask if he's taken on the world event in the human 1 - 15 area.  The Shadow Behemoth. There are alot of events that need to be progressed through stages of events before you've actually completed them. Has he done all those events to the fullest? 

The point is, that if he rushes through these areas, without taking the time to "smell the roses" so to speak, then he will HAVE to repeat content because he burned through every area doing half of the content. I really don't think this is exclusively Anets fault.

Now you've seen it, you can't unsee it!

I rolled a Charr.  I didn't want to see the human areas until I rolled a human ...

I didn't rush through any area.  I completed them 100%.

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

I rolled a Charr.  I didn't want to see the human areas until I rolled a human ...

That's the thing I and others have tried to point out to you though.

In GW2 100% Map Completion is a beginning NOT an ending.

Many DEs take place "off the beaten path" of Hearts, PoIs, and Vistas. There are quite a few DEs that only occur if you interact with NPCs or objects in the world. Others are on timers that simply might not have been active when you were there.

love tracking Map Completion because it's fun and I like the rewards, but a part of me wishes it wasn't in the game because I do see a lot of people posting "well I got 100% I was done" and it's so difficult and frustrating for me to explain to them that is only an achievement not a sign you've actually seen all there is to see or done all there is to do.

Stop and think for a moment. DEs aren't part of Map Completion. It is theoretically possible for somebody to get 100% Map Completion for a zone without doing a single Dynamic Event. Are you honestly going to tell me that such a person actually "finished" a Zone when that happened?

I do wish the game somehow explained that Map Completion does not equal "done with a Zone" but it is how the game actually works.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps.. oh btw found WvW gave me a TON of XP not sure what your issues with XP was in there

Either you're the slowest leveler...EVER, or you are playing all 5 character slots, or more, if you bought extra slots.  In either case, your experience is definitly NOT the norm.  Anyone who plays even casually can easily be way past level 30 with no rushing required. 

Just because you're an alt-a-holic or are extremely slow, don't act like your experience is the norm. 

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Stx11

love tracking Map Completion because it's fun and I like the rewards, but a part of me wishes it wasn't in the game because I do see a lot of people posting "well I got 100% I was done" and it's so difficult and frustrating for me to explain to them that is only an achievement not a sign you've actually seen all there is to see or done all there is to do.

I agree. I've done Kessex Hills for 4 days straight, even after 100% completion. Why?

1. It was fun
    2. I enjoy trying to do as many of the DEs as possible
    3. I met some cool people and helped them get 100% completion

On another note, I purposely have been playing alts at the sametime as my main in order to try different leveling paths while still getting 100% complete on every map with my main. This way I dont get that feeling that Ive seen it all before when I start my alts.
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Grimlock426
    wow you guys are crazy.. my highest character isn't even 30 yet and I play a couple hours everyday during the week and most of the day on weekends.. I also have repeated several starting zones which i found fun even the second and in a couple cases a third time through but ymmv.. also WvWvW is a ton of fun with a good team.. yes there is a lot of zerg but also a lot to do without following the zerg and be very usefull to the team.. just gotta learn the maps.. oh btw found WvW gave me a TON of XP not sure what your issues with XP was in there

Either you're the slowest leveler...EVER, or you are playing all 5 character slots, or more, if you bought extra slots.  In either case, your experience is definitly NOT the norm.  Anyone who plays even casually can easily be way past level 30 with no rushing required. 

Just because you're an alt-a-holic or are extremely slow, don't act like your experience is the norm. 

and then theres those of us that prefer sPvP...

we've been 80 since the game went live   0.o

Because people are enjoying different things doesnt make them slow. What I enjoy for instance does not reward ANY xp.

• Grimlock426Grimlock426 Member Posts: 159
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Because people are enjoying different things doesnt make them slow. What I enjoy for instance does not reward ANY xp.

I didn't say enjoying different things makes you slow.  I was directly countering Aerowyn's post. She/he called other people out as "crazy"  for being higher level and then proceeded to point out how she/he plays every day, yada, yada and isn't even level 30.  I was merely pointing out that it doesn't make someone crazy for being past level 30 by this point in the game.  They don't have to be some power leveler.  Just because she or you choose to level much slower than normal doesn't mean others are 'crazy' or wrong for being much higher level. 

Many DEs take place "off the beaten path" of Hearts, PoIs, and Vistas. There are quite a few DEs that only occur if you interact with NPCs or objects in the world. Others are on timers that simply might not have been active when you were there.

Stop and think for a moment. DEs aren't part of Map Completion. It is theoretically possible for somebody to get 100% Map Completion for a zone without doing a single Dynamic Event. Are you honestly going to tell me that such a person actually "finished" a Zone when that happened?

I do wish the game somehow explained that Map Completion does not equal "done with a Zone" but it is how the game actually works.

You know exactly what I mean when I say 100%.  That's where the exp and chest is from.  After that, you are drasticallyy slowing down your leveling just to find unmarked areas or waiting for DE's to appear in your area of the map.

I played a perfectly legit and common playstyle and apparently it doesn't really work well for my first alt seeing unique zones to the cap.

I didn't say enjoying different things makes you slow.  I was directly countering Aerowyn's post. She/he called other people out as "crazy"  for being higher level and then proceeded to point out how she/he plays every day, yada, yada and isn't even level 30.  I was merely pointing out that it doesn't make someone crazy for being past level 30 by this point in the game.  They don't have to be some power leveler.  Just because she or you choose to level much slower than normal doesn't mean others are 'crazy' or wrong for being much higher level. 

No thats true but the people leveling straight through to 80 are missing a great deal of the games content.

sPvP and to a lesser extent WvW. 

Your right though, leveling in this game is very fast and gets even faster in the higher level zones. I dont think its crazy to be level 80 if thats your focus.

For myself.. my motivation to level is usually for competitive pvp but thats not the case here. The only reason I will level my toons is the have everything unlocked for WvW.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

No thats true but the people leveling straight through to 80 are missing a great deal of the games content.

I've seen the word conditioned used quite a bit in GW2 discussion, often to describe the mindset people shouldn't approach GW2 with. I think that applies heavily to this subject. They've said over and over level is meaningless, which is what surprises me about many fan replies toward this topic. There is no "missing the content" it doesn't matter if you're level 80 in a level 40 zone. You are scaled to fit the content. This is a fact is it not?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

You know exactly what I mean when I say 100%.  That's where the exp and chest is from.  After that, you are drasticallyy slowing down your leveling just to find unmarked areas or waiting for DE's to appear in your area of the map.

I played a perfectly legit and common playstyle and apparently it doesn't really work well for my first alt seeing unique zones to the cap.

Maybe if I explain it this way it will be clearer.

In GW2 the most efficient way to complete a Zone (get 100% Completion) is NOT the optimal way to play.

Perhaps this article will help: http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/interviews/dynamic-events-dev-journal-colin-johanson

As another analogy. You can go on a European vacation and limit yourself to one day per country because that is efficient. You can return from your trip and proclaim "I visited 10 countries in 10 days there is nothing more to see!" Another person could've have spent all 10 days in Paris... and still not have seen all the sights.

There's no magical transformative change in how you play the game once you hit 80 in GW2. No raiding or heroics. No "max level" PvP bracket. You certainly can move through the zones efficiently if you want to. I can think of maybe a few objective benefits to it. But I can also see some heavy costs.

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

I managed to get to from level 15 to 24 on only one 15-25 area. Kessex hills. And I didn't even do all the hearts yet and certainly not all events. I did craft to level 50 though. No story quests, no pvp.

I think it is certainly possible to only do 1 level appopriate zone per character but just make sure you do other things to get xp.

Stop exploring for a while and catch up your level before continuing.

Originally posted by Distopia

I've seen the word conditioned used quite a bit in GW2 discussion, often to describe the mindset people shouldn't approach GW2 with. I think that applies heavily to this subject. They've said over and over level is meaningless, which is what surprises me about many fan replies toward this topic. There is no "missing the content" it doesn't matter if you're level 80 in a level 40 zone. You are scaled to fit the content. This is a fact is it not?

Incoming steriotype...

The mindset most people have that felt a need to level as quickly as possible to 80 are not the type of people who will enjoy going back to the lower level zones to do hearts, DEs or for map completion. These are the people used to a different type of endgame and character progression.

Have you seen the post of people who have hit level 80 and are now bored? Do you think they have completed all the achievements and have 100% map completiton?

For me the games about pvp. But I can not see why anyone would play this game with the sole purpose of pve content.

The people in question have obviously not spent much time in the mist (sPvP, tournies) or in WvW.  They grinded out DEs and hearts to hit 80, do you think they were just doing that for fun? not most... they were doing it to get to what they thought was endgame. Little did they know the pve endgame is really the same as it is at 40 ( or 20 or 10 etc).

If you were playing... lets just say it... wow... and you quested and quested to hit level cap.. and then discovered all you had left to do was visit the zones you missed and do the same thing youve been doing all along? sounds like fun?

They missed the point of GW2.

• klerkenklerken Member UncommonPosts: 53

Incoming steriotype...

The mindset most people have that felt a need to level as quickly as possible to 80 are not the type of people who will enjoy going back to the lower level zones to do hearts, DEs or for map completion. These are the people used to a different type of endgame and character progression.

Have you seen the post of people who have hit level 80 and are now bored? Do you think they have completed all the achievements and have 100% map completiton?

For me the games about pvp. But I can not see why anyone would play this game with the sole purpose of pve content.

The people in question have obviously not spent much time in the mist (sPvP, tournies) or in WvW.  They grinded out DEs and hearts to hit 80, do you think they were just doing that for fun? not most... they were doing it to get to what they thought was endgame. Little did they know the pve endgame is really the same as it is at 40.

If you were playing... lets just say it... wow... and you quested and quested to hit level cap.. and then discovered all you had left to do was visit the zones you missed and do the same thing youve been doing all along? sounds like fun?

while i strongly disagree with your "steriotyping" and missing the point ofGW2, i have to agree with  that the replayability in GW2 comes from the pvp part of the game,

i doubt 'll lvl another toon in PvE after my first since i have to discover every marker on the map (i can't stand the unfilled vista/PoI) which eventually leads to 100% complete and alot of repeat content on alts, and yes i could go hunting for the odd DE but if you get 100% completion and talk to people along the way, the "unseen" ones are few and far between, so for me the pve is an one time thing

Incoming steriotype...

The people in question have obviously not spent much time in the mist (sPvP, tournies) or in WvW.  They grinded out DEs and hearts to hit 80, do you think they were just doing that for fun? not most... they were doing it to get to what they thought was endgame. Little did they know the pve endgame is really the same as it is at 40 ( or 20 or 10 etc).

Or ANet didn't account for a very expected playstyle.  I did what I found most fun, which was leveling.  It has nothing to do with conditioning.  I like progressing my character more than epeen PVP or discovering every little nook and cranny.

There's no need for YOU to judge what is fun for ME.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Nevulus

Vanilla WOW wasn't the most fun leveling experience, but I think they got it right in the fact that your first character could easily level off of the zones in one continent and see the other continent on an alt.  That should be the standard.  

GW2 has the zones, just not enough content or EXP in them without grinding DEs.  The goal should be to provide choice and options on where to go when leveling.

I think Anet missed the boat on that one.

I agree, it would be nice to have unexplored content still waiting for you when you create your alt. I'm an altaholic, so I enjoy different leveling paths (guess that's y I did not like Rift). I think developers are just too busy, lazy, or uninterested in multiple paths.

I retract my statement, I was wrong. :)

I just hit 80 on my first character and can say I have only completed 32% of the map, with lots of zones still left completely unexplored/uncovered. If I absolutely had to nitpick on SOMETHING, it would be that I am still slightly disappointed on how fast leveling occurred only because the game is so much fun in my opinion. I played casually and already hit 80.

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    I made 80 days ago and still haven't decided to make an alt. LvL 80 isn't the end of hte game like 99% of games today. I just have to much to do before I make an alt. Might do an alt once a week now however.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    I made 80 days ago and still haven't decided to make an alt. LvL 80 isn't the end of hte game like 99% of games today. I just have to much to do before I make an alt. Might do an alt once a week now however.

Like?

Its honestly got the stereotypical grind for gear... outside that it offers much less to do considering there is no raiding. Grind for gear (no rep either) and... well... I can't name anything else.

I'd include WvW and PvP but those you can do since lvl 1. Only benefit 80 gets you is being a bit better for WvW and being able to farm... which other games have just as well.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

MMORPGs have a finite amount of content.  You will eventually run out, that is a simple fact.

I think what it comes down to, is you basically have to accept that if you want to keep playing this game you will be repeating content.  And this is true of ANY MMORPG.  All the devs can do is try to make their content enjoyable to repeat...and I think GW2 does this pretty well with the DEs, different stories, and widely varied classes.

The only reason that WoW has so much content is that it's been out for 8 years...but even then, people burn through it and wind up repeating it.  You will never find an MMORPG with limitless content, so I don't think this is fail on ANet's part or anything, this is just the reality of how these games work.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

Wow has the illusion of massive content, but 95% of its content is dead, worse blizzard have made changes to speed up levelling to allow you to kill that 95% content. Even worse than that you can buy scrolls to literally skip all that content. Ironically all blizzard would have to do would be to implement a downscaling to zone/ instance and upscale rewards dynamically and the