Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thread For Discussion of Phishing Emails & Account Security Matters

13»

Comments

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by kevjards

so after 6 days i finally got my account back..nice to see that Anet have beefed up their security with authenticator.works a treat.not only that i have totally new e-mail adress just for gw2 otherwise i would think inevetably i would be at risk again.cant say that i,m impressed with the length of time it took.but has i have said i have to take partial responsibility for this..never again.but has i am trying to see this from Anets point of view as well all i can say is hopefully this will never happen again..i would also like to mention all the people still waiting to get back in..i wish you all the best in getting your accounts sorted.i know you feel gutted ,has i did,best wishes all.

p.s strangely enough the hacker was so kind not to delete my chars..how decent of him.

They haven't recovered the ones that have been deleted? Anyone?

I have a lot of gem shop dyes and stuff on my main . Should my characters be deleted...Anyone here know if they refund my gem shop purchases (the ones I actually made..not the thief) because those dyes and most of the other stuff is bound to character?

• BinkothBinkoth Member Posts: 3

Got my account back today. I'm at work so I haven't actually logged in to check the damage yet.

Not sure what to expect of my character when I log in.  What do they actually do with the account?  Use them for gold farming?  Use them to send gold spam?

• SkaldirSkaldir Member UncommonPosts: 48

This is really weird.
    Today someone from China tried to access my account, I just got an official e-mail from ArenaNet. I tried the game till like level 25 and then stopped, like 2 days after release.

Address: 117.94.32.170
    City: Beijing
    Region: 22

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

ok so having got my account back the other day i was overjoyed..only to wake up this morning thinking i was banned and no access to my account..now i'm going to take this story a little further..i was not banned i was hacked again..now before people jump on the wagon and say its my security..its not..this morning i instructed one of the tech advisers for my isp company to take control of my pc to hunt down anything in my pc that would show that it was my fault..because i genuinly thought it was..it cost me £50 for a british telecom tech guy to spend 2 hrs going through my pc with a fine tooth comb..he found nothing.not only that i have 5 other mmo accounts in my pc active..not one of them touched.

the other thing was i created a brand new e-mail adress and a nice 17 key pw for the account(brand new as well ,not old).so i,m now stuck has to what is going on here.i do not surf the net with this e-mail adress or anything other than what it was for ,gw2.i am on a different e-mail has we speak so..does anyone have any idea how this is happening please or can offer some advice..it would be greatly appreciated..i am absolutely stumped now.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by kevjards

ok so having got my account back the other day i was overjoyed..only to wake up this morning thinking i was banned and no access to my account..now i'm going to take this story a little further..i was not banned i was hacked again..now before people jump on the wagon and say its my security..its not..this morning i instructed one of the tech advisers for my isp company to take control of my pc to hunt down anything in my pc that would show that it was my fault..because i genuinly thought it was..it cost me £50 for a british telecom tech guy to spend 2 hrs going through my pc with a fine tooth comb..he found nothing.not only that i have 5 other mmo accounts in my pc active..not one of them touched.

the other thing was i created a brand new e-mail adress and a nice 17 key pw for the account(brand new as well ,not old).so i,m now stuck has to what is going on here.i do not surf the net with this e-mail adress or anything other than what it was for ,gw2.i am on a different e-mail has we speak so..does anyone have any idea how this is happening please or can offer some advice..it would be greatly appreciated..i am absolutely stumped now.

GW2 security alerts you if someone is trying to access your account from a different ip

unless you didnt turn that feature on

is this what happened to you?

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/It-says-they-have-detected-that-my-account-has-been-used-by-an-unauthorized-individual

this was posted elsewhere but threads get buried

new blog on account security

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/mike-obrien-on-account-security/

commentary about why no character restores or rollbacks yet

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/Tickets-for-Review-5-days-and-older-merged/page/28
    GaileGray

Galadeon.6513:

GaileGray.9587:

No we are unable to restore gold. It’s simply not something that we have the tools to do, and the account restoration system that would roll-back the entire account is not yet available. I’m very sorry for the loss, and I know we all look forward to being able to help with these issues in the future.

Sad, very sad that your programmers would not put this BASIC MMO functionality into the game. There should be a plan in place to help people that get hacked.
        Note to game makers – make sure that your future CS has the tools it needs to help people.
        #NotAAAservice

You may not be aware, but spawning gold and handing it out like cupcakes — even if “basic MMO functionality” — isn’t good for a game’s economy. If you lose a dollar, the government doesn’t print up and hand you another one — that would cause huge inflation.

To address the issue of hacked account, we soon will be offering account restorations that will “roll back” an account to its pre-compromise state. The issue will be verified, and the hacker will be tracked and and all account involved in the hack will be closed. Then, when the hacked account is rolled back, the gold is not duped and the economy isn’t damaged.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I don't recall ever having an account hacked before of any game, or anything else.  This is the first time.  I'm pretty bummed out and I'm waiting to get my character back to see what has been done to her.

I felt it was a mistake making the account name your email acount.  It didn't seem very smart to me when we must use our email accounts so often at so many different sites.  It becomes a known quantity, one of two.  From there I think it would be easy to find a password using some kind of software but I am no computer expert.

I'm not sure I'll have the energy to start over.  I pust a lot of time into her, even though she was only level 36.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    Just got my account back.  Basically I'm standing in the auction house.  I only have 2 silver to my name now,  Inventory is gone.  I had collected a TON of crafting stuff.  Almost all of it is completely wiped out.