Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to all the Guild Wars/Guild Wars 2 Races & their Lore Lovers out there! :)

RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

PLEASE KEEP THIS THREAD CLEAN!

This thread was created to pick the thoughts of like minded people that love having different races that were fleshed out in a game as playable races.

In my opinion, GW2 (same as GW1) has shown much love for minor races and gave them backgrounds that could easily let them make a transition from a NPC based to a playable race.

In the poll I added all minor races that are given this possibility, excluding the centaurs since they are a major enemy and dwarves since they are extingt from the GW world through the years.

I'm loving having different races in games with their own backstories, unique looks, skills and playability so I definately wouldn't mind to see any of these races make the transition into a playable race in a future expansion, being it a current world expansion or the involvement of Cantha and Elona.

Below I'm adding a link to the races backstory so if someone doesn't know them or their backgrounds yet, but would like to get involved in this thread and share their opinion, can take a look, read and decide after.

The Races in question:

Kodan

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-wisdom-and-power-of-the-kodan

Skritt

http://www.arena.net/blog/those-sneaky-sneaky-skritt

Krait

http://www.arena.net/blog/shadows-in-the-water-the-krait

Quaggan

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-mostly-harmless-quaggan

Hylek

http://www.arena.net/blog/go-forth-and-multiply-the-hylek

Grawl

http://www.arena.net/blog/planet-of-the-grawl

Jotun

http://www.arena.net/blog/the-savage-pride-of-the-jotun

Tengu

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Tengu

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Anything but the polar bears.  they are by far the most annoying race to listen to in game.  I picked the one race that could never be playable, the Jotun.  they are just too darn big really.  Norn is as tall as you can get based on the world design.
  • Stx11Stx11 Member Posts: 415

If possible please modify the poll to have an option for "I just can't choose/please show me the results" because...

well...

I JUST CAN'T CHOOSE!

I *think* ANet is going to choose the Tengu. Their area is already walled off and set up to be added later.

But I'd love to play a Skritt, or a Quaggan, or...

Now I'm going to be thinking about this all day! >.<

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    I say either Tengu or Grawl. Grawl were such a part of GW1 initially and connection to the Charr would make them interesting to play.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    All glory to the Hypnotoad. I mean Hylek.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Went with the Tengu, but mainly because I've wanted to play as one ever since GW1.

The skritt I honestly don't see working too well as a playable character, mainly because of their lore. For those that don't know, the Skritt is a humanoid rodent race. They communicate on two levels, the first one being regular speech based communication (in game we see skritt talking to each other like that, so it's not limited to communication with other races) and an ultrasonic chirping thing that isn't heard by other races. With that they're able to exchange information REALLY fast, so fast that for all intents and purposes they act like neurons on a brain, so that a single skritt is considered dumb by most races standards, a larger group can be very smart, their intelligence increasing with their numbers. Quaggans also couldn't work too well as playable races mainly because of their placid and peaceful nature, IMHO. Jotun, well, wouldn't work without a redesign of the world because of their size, wouldn't fit in most cities. Plus, to mantain the same running speed between the races, if the Norn already feel slow because of their size, I can't imagine how would a running Jotun feel like.

BTW, I wouldn't completely discard the centaurs as a playable race. After all, back in GW1 in the eye of the north we had norn, asura and charr as heroes (NPCs that play with you), and they became playable races in GW2... and in the Nightfall campaign we also had a centaur hero. Lorewise we could say it's another tribe that wants to make peace with the other races.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

Thanks for all the votes so far guys! :)

It seems that all the minor races are getting some love by the fans aswell.

Also I apologize for not giving an option like "I can't choose I want them all" or similar. :)

In my opinion all races would make a great playable race.

Though I also agree that the Jotun size might cause issues in the cities partially, such problems could be solved by having an animation in which they slightly bow when in smaller rooms while working normaly while in open areas of the cities (most cities are high enough and have enough space for something large).

The main problem however would be jumping puzzles cause some ankles are already causing problems with the tallest norn and charr in the game already so it would be rather impossible to do them with the Jotun after all.

I admit I underestimated their size and was too excited about exchanging opinions with all of you guys that I didn't thought much about the issues it would cause at parts.

The Tengu seem to be certain to make it into the game already and their main city is already behind the wall so I think that we will probably get to play as them in the near future.

The Centaurs were rather ruled out by me because it seems that the very few friendly ones have died in the old guild wars leaving behind the ones that have a huge hate against the other races and in particular the humans.

If GW2 should ever make it possible to play the "dark side" aswell, maybe they could let the Krait and Centaurs be a big part of such a expansion (like city of villains to the city of heroes as example).

The Quaggan are rather very passive but their background, friendliness towards the other races and the will to finally stand up for themselves gives them enough options and possibilities for personal stories.

On the top of that I would love to have a huge underwater city being ruled by them and visited by everyone! :)

The Hylek have enough lore and enemies to be involved in their personal stories.

The tribes differences and conflicts add to that too.

The Grawl were featured much in GW1 and are to be found in several areas across the whole world of GW2 so far so having a friendly tribe that wants to make a difference and unite with the other races while being in conflicts with the ones that are against them would make for similar personal stories as the Hylek.

Still differences to make them stand out would be there alone through their beliefs, way of life and other.

The Skritt would definately be a race I would love to play cause they are a very interesting race to play (they remind me a bit to the race I was playing in EQ2 for a while aswell), hilarious at parts and could make very interesting personal stories.

On the top of that they already have a huge underground city there so one could expand it a little bit by adding partially more things in it before they use it as their starting city.

Even I like the Kodans lore, their race reminds to the bear morphing of the norns quite a lot and that makes them a bit unappealing to me when it comes to have them as a playable race.

Even though their structure could make great personal stories.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I didnt vote but would love to see them all playable but the Jotun in GW1 they where always there fighting you so no on them. The Kodan has alot going for them as a new playable race but so do the skrit. The krait and Heilek have been around a bit as more of an evil race but could see factions of them turning to the good mostly if they release cantha again. The Tengu would be the first race I think to be added as a playable race and would of thought they would be from GW1 they have hostory going way back to before mans involment into Kryta and where the main race there. But if they add them I will be happy I can also see centaur race as being added as well because that is what Vintari was he was one of the more passive ones but there could be tribes of them that are good. The grawl I am not so sure about because them where like the char in GW1 one of the big baddies but still could see alot more on them.

Some things I would like to see is more world content like the Crystal desert and northern shiver peaks plus Elona and Cantha plus alot more this world is huge and would love to see more of it added as well as new races and classes.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

I voted Tengu, they have a history in the Guild Wars universe both as adversaries and allies, I also loved they way they ran in GW, arms stretched back beaks forward, really menacing. The fact they are here in GW2 gives me hope we get to play them much further down the line. I do expect additional content to feature Tengu related storylines, we have a blocked off city, seems nicely set up to introduce more of their current lore, they do seem to have inherited a separatist mentality how that would change remains to be seen.

Quaggen have that cute factor going for them and when they transform you want to get out of the way! Some of our guild mates have been talking quaggen in guild chat already :)

Skritt, as previously mentioned, their intelligence relies on numbers, not sure how you would square that as a playable race? There was a sad little story about a group of skritt who stumbled upon and spent time with a tribe (I think it was Hylek?), most of the skritt returned home while one remained intent on studying them, sadly once the rest left that lone skritt no longer had the intelligence to study them and forgot why he was there...

Centaur, we had one centaur ally in Nightfall and the most important is the centaur who was responsible for guarding the Pale Tree and helped spark the creation of the Sylvari, beyond those two examples I can't think of centaurs as much more than enemies, but then we felt like that with the charr. In an expansion there wouldn't be that 250 years of history to give license to a change in alliances though.

• I voted Skritt but I'm not sure it's feasible.

Beyond playable races though it would be interesting if Arena Net added in a faction mechanic that let you personalize some of your interactions with the non playable races.  I could see politics among tribes playing a big part in this.  I'm thinking more of a system than the current heart reputation system.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by EvilGeek

I voted Tengu, they have a history in the Guild Wars universe both as adversaries and allies, I also loved they way they ran in GW, arms stretched back beaks forward, really menacing. The fact they are here in GW2 gives me hope we get to play them much further down the line. I do expect additional content to feature Tengu related storylines, we have a blocked off city, seems nicely set up to introduce more of their current lore, they do seem to have inherited a separatist mentality how that would change remains to be seen.

Quaggen have that cute factor going for them and when they transform you want to get out of the way! Some of our guild mates have been talking quaggen in guild chat already :)

Skritt, as previously mentioned, their intelligence relies on numbers, not sure how you would square that as a playable race? There was a sad little story about a group of skritt who stumbled upon and spent time with a tribe (I think it was Hylek?), most of the skritt returned home while one remained intent on studying them, sadly once the rest left that lone skritt no longer had the intelligence to study them and forgot why he was there...

Centaur, we had one centaur ally in Nightfall and the most important is the centaur who was responsible for guarding the Pale Tree and helped spark the creation of the Sylvari, beyond those two examples I can't think of centaurs as much more than enemies, but then we felt like that with the charr. In an expansion there wouldn't be that 250 years of history to give license to a change in alliances though.

To be fair, while there were charr and humans coexisting already in Lion's Arch, the human - charr war was still going on 1 year before the game (during the Ghosts of Ascalon novel).

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Dragons!

No, really.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    I'd really love to see Tengu as playable race. They're a part of the lore for quite a portion and I think it would be interesting to see more of their lore. :)

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    What? No Centaur?
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    What? No Centaur?

No. Centaurs are butter hoarding extremists. We can't be having with that.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Kodan all the way. There are Kodan class trainers in the game.. so I think Kodan might be next.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Yay a fun poll!

Good job OP on setting it up. :)

Skritt for me. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    What? No Centaur?

No. Centaurs are butter hoarding extremists. We can't be having with that.

But...I wanna be my own mount! And we can have saddles and be mounts for other players and then we can go up to people and say "Mount me baby" and not get banned!

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Anyone who didn't choose Kodan chose wrong - try again please!

;)

Seriously awesome looking giant angry polar bears with kick ass architexture, themes, and armor/weapon skins. Yes please, I'd love to play one.