Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feral Fanbois are hurting GW2 more than "Haters" ever could...

FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I don't know where these Feral Fanbois are coming from as I never had to deal with them this badly for even SWTOR. Quite frankly, I've been surprised to see all over these forums about how people are annoyed if not almost completely turned off by the rabid flaming of anything non-GW2, and how GW2 is being pushed to new heights of outlandish fanboism. It is REALLY pissing off normal GW2 fans, because when you rabidly fanboy all over GW2 you make the normal players whom are just trying to enjoy the game look bad, or at least that's how i've been reading they feel?

Now, I'll say this to put it out there. I'm not a "Fan" of GW2, but I did purchase it for $60, and do believe it is one of the best themeparks I've played. However, I know what GW2 is, and is not. So I won't go any further with it than that.

From my experience with previously overhyped titles I've had to deal with people calling me a "Hater" and an outright "Troll" because I said things like SWTOR being horribly linear, zero replayability, sub-par end-game, and a host of other straight-to-the-point statements. Ironically months later I see everything I was saying pre-release echoed throughout these forums.

Then, for GW2, I was flamed outright for calling "Dynamic Events" NOT "Dynamic" and more akin to static repeated branching SCRIPTED events. Not only was I flamed, but I experienced something I hadn't before with SWTOR. I was actually being contacted off this site by my personal email being asked to stop "Spouting nonsense you have no clue about" with regards to GW2 (I didn't even know my personal email was listed under my profile on here?).

Regardless, albeit longer than I originally wanted, my point is that you NEED to stop going crazy with this over-the-top fanboism. You're making the normal players who're just trying to enjoy GW2 for what it is, and you're hurting GW2 as a whole in the long term.

Please :(

The Theory of Conservative Conservation of Ignorant Stupidity:
Having a different opinion must mean you're a troll.

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Only people not interested in playing a game in the first place will care about fanboys or not.

It is also extremely easy to avoid fanboys - just avoid forums.

Like it is easy to avoid haters - just avoid forums.

Normal players don't go to forums.

And everything in software that ins't human input is scripted - it is the nature of the beast. Ascript can have more random variables or less random variables but still, unless there is a bug, the results are always predictable.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• sargey123sargey123 Member UncommonPosts: 102

I........ HATE YOU ! YOU AND UR **&**&*&*$&$%^$%$%$

No really I kid,good point :P though I am GW fan and really love the game and know what it is but yea not that much fanboi like some ppl here.. I wont name names hehehe D;!

The game is what it is,there are good and bad things which we all love ;D

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    No their not, LOL....

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

you're hurting GW2 as a whole in the long term.

i engage in forum debates like everyone else

it has never detracted from what game i choose and why i like it

the only thing people w strong opinions may affect are people wanting to participate at this site

- and even that is questionable

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Only people not interested in playing a game in the first place will care about fanboys or not.

Yo! Who hooked up your barrel with interwebz?

There's MAP &  RvR Zone chats in GW2.

And I completely agree with the OP, these blind fanbois are ruining the game experience for many.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

A+

That is why hundreds of thousands of  carefree and happy GW2 fans are enjoying the game...they don't come here. ;) 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    I just find it amusing that people are told not to dislike GW while in the same breath the poster in bashing on WoW

• vee41vee41 Member Posts: 191

The truth.

• FadedbombFadedbomb Member Posts: 2,081

I disagree wholeheartedly. These forums are read by normal players AND developers of other games in order to get a "feel" for the reception of certain titles. They understand the "waves" that happen, and do continue to watch regardless of the crazyness that goes on.

The normal players also come on here for discussions about GW2 and other games. Since when did non-players of a specific product not come on these forums? That makes absolutely zero sense.

If rampant threads of "this game is the best game EVER!" were just left unchecked without a dose of reality then the market would get the wrong impression of the actual impact the game is having. This leads to future games being affected with little to no interaction from the playerbase. This can further be a horrible affect as it can cost good hardworking intelligent people their jobs because their bosses couldn't get a clear picture of the market due to the "muddying" of what the actual impact of the product was.

Also, fanboys are all over the in-game map chat, and other game forums. I even had the disatisfaction of seeing an argument between 9 people in /map last night in Kessex Hills about how every game prior to GW2 is utter nonsense. That obviously spiraled down into "Go back to WoW" comments, something about hitler, and then a comment about someone's mother.

Maybe I'm playing on the wrong server? (Yak's Bend)

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Every now an then I meet people I refer to as Evangelical Vegetarians. They are not happy just being Vegetarians themselves, they feel that everyone else must be a vegetarian as well. It is really quite annoying.
    Originally posted by Requiem1066
    I just find it amusing that people are told not to dislike GW while in the same breath the poster in bashing on WoW

Where did I bash on WoW? Did I miss something :|?

Originally posted by coretex666

They got your email. They know who you are.

I think you will be found dead in your bathtub soon.

I JUST finished remodeling my bathroom this weekend, the hell -.-?! This is really creepy now :c !

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

image This pretty much.

The so called "feral fanboys" are usually found on forums like this one and on youtube video comments, just like all the haters & trolls. In-game is a different story. The community is mostly friendly and helpful. Comparing this forum to at least my server's in-game community is like night and day. So I also suggest that anyone who susceptible to having their opinion's swayed by others in a negative light, to avoid these forums.

I also hope these "I didn't enjoy GW2 because of X" threads would die down soon, because it's become a real cesspit in here.

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487

I can agree with the OP in that sometimes the fans of a game do more damage to the game then the so-called haters.  I have played several games where if any of us took issue with anything in a game we were told by the Fanbois to LEAVE if we didnt like it.  Apparently they didnt care that their favorite game would actually lose subs.  And I have seen in several games many of us "haters" LEAVE and have seen the game subsequently suffer the consequences of lack of subs.

Fans need to remember that their "favorite-game-in-the-world" that "can do no wrong" needs subs in order to continue.  Demanding that the haters leave isnt doing anything for that game.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online

Originally posted by Master10K

image This pretty much.

The so called "feral fanboys" are usually found on forums like this one and on youtube video comments, just like all the haters & trolls. In-game is a different story. The community is mostly friendly and helpful. Comparing this forum to at least my server's in-game community is like night and day. So I also suggest that anyone who susceptible to having their opinion's swayed by others in a negative light, to avoid these forums.

I also hope these "I didn't enjoy GW2 because of X" threads would die down soon, because it's become a real cesspit in here.

Since I'm lazy, this was my response that fits this just like the last 3 :|.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

The more annoying people are just regular forumtrolls, no matter what they think of GW2 or whatever game they hype/hate at the moment.

And while some people might avoid a certain game because they got the impression all the players are fanatics I dont think the impact is so great. Most of us people have an internal ignore list and can tune out the worst posters on forums, no matter if they are for or against a game.

As with any game, if you are unsure, wait for the trial.

I like it but only Jerry Springer fans seems to think than anyone disagreeing with them are idiots. If you tried it and didnt like it, we just like different things. If you havnt tried it at all and write thousand of post on how bad (or good) it is you might consider getting a life instead. 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I even had the disatisfaction of seeing an argument between 9 people in /map last night in Kessex Hills about how every game prior to GW2 is utter nonsense.

i see similar crap in every new mmo launch that people have enjoyed

thats nothing new or concerning

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Frankly at this point both sides seem a tad out of control to me.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

No you didn't :p .. I'm talking  the hypocrisy in general from a few 

Ie: 

" Why all this hate on GW2 .. You WoW trolls should go back to that sucky game " 

• beculmov2beculmov2 Member Posts: 9
    Nobody is hurting anything,only the 1% that let their decisions influenced by these so called ''fanbois'' and ''haters'' and who cares about them anyway.If you would actually sit back and read your post loudly you would see it makes absolutely no sense.
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Frankly at this point both sides seem a tad out of control to me.

Normally this is true for any new launch as opinions have yet to change with regard to one side or the other so people still have strong opinions from pre-launch. However, the thing that I'm surprised, this time around, is the fact that fans are actually bashing other fans for realizational situations.

Dude got flamed in map chat about how DE's weren't "Dynamic". I mean, that's not something subjective at all like saying "this game sucks". I'd understand completely if the latter statement had been made, but when you state something specific about a mechanic and people go nuts on you it feels a bit weird when it's in-game as opposed to a forum.

No you didn't :p .. I'm talking  the hypocrisy in general from a few 

Ie: 

" Why all this hate on GW2 .. You WoW trolls should go back to that sucky game " 

Ah, I was confused because your post sounded like you were talking about my OP Q_Q.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Threads like THIS need to stop - this is nonsense.

I'm sorry people are happy/excited about a new game, I'm sorry other people are not.

Who are you to tell people to stop being happy or to stop being upset?

This is the forums - your post does nothing. NOTHING. This kind of thing happens every day, every week, every month and with every new game ever released.

[mod edit]

The real solution? Ignoring threads like this. Talking about the GAME on the game's specific forums not talking about the forums themselves or players or reputation or whatever other nonsense garbage is filling up this website.

[mod edit]

Let's talk about games and what we like/dislike about them in a civil, constructive, friendly manner.

Let's stop talking about gamers and forums and talk about the GAMES.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I disagree wholeheartedly. These forums are read by developers of other games in order to get a "feel" for the reception of certain titles. They understand the "waves" that happen, and do continue to watch regardless of the crazyness that goes on.

If rampant threads of "this game is the best game EVER!" were just left unchecked without a dose of reality then the market would get the wrong impression of the actual impact the game is having. This leads to future games being affected with little to no interaction from the playerbase. This can further be a horrible affect as it can cost good hardworking intelligent people their jobs because their bosses couldn't get a clear picture of the market due to the "muddying" of what the actual impact of the product was.

Also, fanboys are all over the in-game map chat, and other game forums. I even had the disatisfaction of seeing an argument between 9 people in /map last night in Kessex Hills about how every game prior to GW2 is utter nonsense. That obviously spiraled down into "Go back to WoW" comments, something about hitler, and then a comment about someone's mother.

Maybe I'm playing on the wrong server? (Yak's Bend)

Yep - look at all the sandboxes games being created on the wake of these forums.

And look at what blizzard, anet and other devs say about how representative of the general population forum goers are.

I played WoW for a while - I liked certain things,i disliked others, never started bashing WoW in chat.

If only that chat wasn't there you might even like GW2 so much more...

Oh well, GW2 community must be the gathering place for scum of humanity - must have been the first time people in a game bash other game, say something about mothers and hitler. If you took a screenshot of that it might make the front page of newspappers all around the world.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Originally posted by beculmov2
    Nobody is hurting anything,only the 1% that let their decisions influenced by these so called ''fanbois'' and ''haters'' and who cares about them anyway.If you would actually sit back and read your post loudly you would see it makes absolutely no sense.

If it made "no sense" then why are we seeing in-game chat & posts on these forums regarding negativity towards other games? Also, negative output from a community does have a negative affect on population growth for an MMO as I've seen in the past for other titles how people get confused or timid over the whole situation. Granted, this isn't the norm, but it shouldn't be an issue regardless. It certainly wasn't for SWTOR (for some odd reason?).

This discussion has been closed.