Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

State of WoW after Aug. 25th (XFire)

Comments

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    64 client dont work with x-fire
  • AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582
    Originally posted by kostoslav

psst, don´t tell them that.    They need to think that WOW has died.

And again,  I stand by my prediction that WOW will sell double in the first 24hrs (only in the west) that GW2 has sold up until that point.

WOW has already doubled since this thread started.  GW2 just does not have legs.   It is free, so the kids without credit cards can play it like runescape.

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by Azrile

And again,  I stand by my prediction that WOW will sell double in the first 24hrs (only in the west) that GW2 has sold up until that point.

WOW has already doubled since this thread started.  GW2 just does not have legs.   It is free, so the kids without credit cards can play it like runescape.

since arenanet halted digital sales of GW2 it won't be a fair comparison.

WoW has 3-4 mil subs in the west and GW2 sold 1 mil pre purchase boxes.

this was 2 days before launch.

I bet once they open sales again, your prediction will look really foolish.

GW1 already sold almost 7 mil...

and about the kiddie stuff... wonder what some elite raiders from WoW did when they got into GW2?

a) use exploits to get gold

b) powerleveled to max level like idiots without realizing level means shit in GW2

the community on my server in GW2 is 1000% more helpful, friendly and grown like on any of the 2 WoW servers I used to play.

it's not even close by any means.

Arenanet simply bans assholes since they don't need their subs. Blizz keeps them around to "enrich" the community

• mmojunkie5000mmojunkie5000 Member Posts: 92

WoW had 40-50.000 h on average before any xfire bugs.

GW2 has 70-90.000 h

so your argument is misleading.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by mmojunkie5000

That is their problem. So comparison is fair. But even if sales were not halted GW2 won't be able to match sales number of WOW and its expansions on release day.

MOP is going to shatter all the previous record for sales.

Bite Me

• ClocksimusClocksimus Member Posts: 354
    LoL saw an increase in player as friday hit. WoW and GW2 remained about the same as their thurday values.   WoW has actually bounced back (if you want to call less people playing on a 19gb patchday bouncing back) while GW2 has been falling since launch and has yet to recover.  This weekend will be interesting if GW2 is unable to maintain its numbers and WoW has an increase.  The same people using xfire to boost GW2 will most likely not discredit xfire as a valid source of information.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882

WoW had 40-50.000 h on average before any xfire bugs.

GW2 has 70-90.000 h

so your argument is misleading.

Take another look at the topic's title. The topic is about WoW's drop on August 25th and he provides the reason. The other arguments used are (mostly) misleading because WoW's 64bit client not working with XFire is clearly the largest contributor to the drop.

• hpy7871hpy7871 Member Posts: 14
    I think the biggest problem with xfire numbers iis alot of. People dont use it in my guild wich is small only about 125 people none of us uze xfire
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Xfire is not indicative of the average WOW player.  

That's as foundationless as claims making links between X-Fire numbers and the number of subscribers.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

WoW has 3-4 mil subs in the west and GW2 sold 1 mil pre purchase boxes.

this was 2 days before launch.

I bet once they open sales again, your prediction will look really foolish.

GW1 already sold almost 7 mil...

and about the kiddie stuff... wonder what some elite raiders from WoW did when they got into GW2?

a) use exploits to get gold

b) powerleveled to max level like idiots without realizing level means shit in GW2

the community on my server in GW2 is 1000% more helpful, friendly and grown like on any of the 2 WoW servers I used to play.

it's not even close by any means.

Arenanet simply bans assholes since they don't need their subs. Blizz keeps them around to "enrich" the community

Why do you care if GW2 sells more copies than MoP?  I prefer GW2 but I expect MoP to sell at least a million more copies. 

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

you were making sweeping and laughable assumptions that are disproven not by xfire, but real released, official, hard, not to argue with NUMBERS:

gw2 NOW has had 400.000 concurrent users before the game even was accessible to preorders let alone retail.

WoW had 800k at its best days with massive cata hype behind it, millions buying the expansion and returning to the game

so, no. WoW's concurretn user numbers at this moment dwarves every other MMO, but not guild wars 2. and that's not just xfire talking

Hmmm, lets examine that for a second. GW2 had at a single point in time, during it's launch stage when the hype and ferver was at it's highest 400,000 concurrent users on their servers, what has the daily highest concurrent users been since that figure was released? 

You say that in it's best day WoW had 800k concurrent users on it's servers at one point, but what has the highest concurrent user figure been since then?

If you can accurately answer both of those questions and the figures come out as you say then we can say for certain that GW2 is dwarfing WoW in concurrent users, can you do that?

As for X-fire, there is still a slight anomoly that every GW2 fan has failed to accept on this thread and others like it and that is that the X-fire client has not worked properly with WoW since the patch day so even if anyone did take those figures seriously, how can you throw around figures based on one of the games not even having it's hours read in a majority of cases?

GW2 saw a fall off of nearly 25% in playing hours towards the end of last week, does that mean that it is failing already, well of course it doesn't, it just means that people are getting into their normal playing pattern after the rush of launch play. Does a reduction of WoW subs mean that the amount of concurrent users has dropped by the same amount, maybe or maybe not, it depends on which players have dropped their subs as the casuals like myself will always play the same amount of time mainly in the evenings after work and at weekends so even if the subs dropped down to just under 1mill it is still possible to hit that concurrent number depending on the play times of those players (unlikely, but possible)

Threads like this one always end up being fanboy vs fanboy and never end well as they always just end up throwing random internet look up figures at each other without actually knowing the figures for sure and at the end of the day what does it matter? If you like WoW, play wow and if you don't, go and enjoy the game you do like and let the developers/publishers worry about the figures.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

Where did that 800k concurrent WOW players come from?  I am not saying it is not true, but I have never seen Blizzard release a number like that.   Not to be skeptical, but that seems very low considering they have been selling 3-4M boxes on the first day of the expansion.  I would think about 8-16 hours after the launch of an expansion, there would be closer to 2M people playing. I mean what is the point of going out and buying a game and then not playing it.

Would like to see a link to that 800k number pls.

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

Guild Wars 2 is already a huge game, and literally -everyone- is playing it.

It is not surprising WoW is in free fall.

WoW is old news, and panda expansion for kids won't revive it.

GW2 is just an amazing game, and the best MMO out there by far. It kicks WoW's ass in every way.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

Since I don't play WoW I can't answer this myself so I'm curious. People know you can go into Xfire and change what executable it is looking at for a game right? Have people done this, restarted Xfire, and it still isn't recognizing it? Because I think you can literally use any executable, even one this isn't WoW in any shape or form, and as long as the one it is looking at it running then it says you are playing the game.

It sounds like it is just that Xfire isn't looking at the 64 bit exe by default and people might just have to redirect Xfire to the correct client.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Greyhooff

GW2 is just an amazing game, and the best MMO out there by far. It kicks WoW's ass in every way.

I'm too lazy to look at you post history to see if this is a real post or not so I thought I'd just ask directly. The "literally" followed by "everyone" makes me believe that it is a joking post since that literally isn't true. But with the internet it is hard to tell so I figured I'd ask.

For the record I don't care which game actually does better or has better Xfire numbers at all.

Originally posted by Sukiyaki

This **** is comedy gold ....

I don't know what are your issues with WOW because you are a little over the top in hate for the game but if after 8 years WOW started to decline it is not something to feel great about. It is an old game now. The age is its worst enemy.

People say crazy stuff all the time and Xfire is mostly a tool used in forum PVP which changes sides on basis of what game you hate or like.

Bite Me

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I'm too lazy to look at you post history to see if this is a real post or not so I thought I'd just ask directly. The "literally" followed by "everyone" makes me believe that it is a joking post since that literally isn't true. But with the internet it is hard to tell so I figured I'd ask.

For the record I don't care which game actually does better or has better Xfire numbers at all.

if you go by Xfire figures then you have to wonder where these players went to.. because GW2 has also seen a 30 percent fall off since its peak.. which if you treat xfire as being valid.. means that a third of gw2 players just dumped the game..

but only if you think xfire figures are in any way valid...  can't have it both ways after all image

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by MrNo
    Originally posted by MrNo

Hey cool I can make a fake chart also and post on this thread but I have pride man.

that's from xfire http://www.xfire.com/genre/mmo/massively_multiplayer_online/ this chart. just use the link... wow... some fanbois really are paranoid.. as if I would invest the time to fake a chart... lol

Like i said I can fake a chart also so can the people at Xfire. If you choose to put down WoW pls dont do it on this forum it is called trolling.

hahahahaha... that's really a desperate reach... :D haha, pathetic.

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

How much you are going to bet that MOP will break all the records and kick GW2 to curb in first day sale numbers as well as total sales? how much? book mark this topic and revisit it the day MOP releases.

And before you label me a WOW fanboy, i am a GW2 fan but even i know some things are just too obvious.

Bite Me

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Method01
    Originally posted by Verterdegete

Interesting...

Plz stop these threads plz... I beg you. We have seen them so many times now, and it allways end up with the same. WoW lose 2 mil subs and gain 3 mil 6 months after.. 

actually... we haven't seen *this*, ever before... Atleast I didn't. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    Originally posted by kostoslav 64 client dont work with x-fire
     Since I don't play WoW I can't answer this myself so I'm curious. People know you can go into Xfire and change what executable it is looking at for a game right? Have people done this, restarted Xfire, and it still isn't recognizing it? Because I think you can literally use any executable, even one this isn't WoW in any shape or form, and as long as the one it is looking at it running then it says you are playing the game.

It sounds like it is just that Xfire isn't looking at the 64 bit exe by default and people might just have to redirect Xfire to the correct client.

Not really relevant. What is relevant is that the already suspect XFire numbers are even more suspect in reporting WoW's numbers.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Method01
    Originally posted by Verterdegete

Interesting...

Plz stop these threads plz... I beg you. We have seen them so many times now, and it allways end up with the same. WoW lose 2 mil subs and gain 3 mil 6 months after.. 

actually... we haven't seen *this*, ever before... Atleast I didn't. 

its even worse for GW2 though.. they have gone from a peak of 96k hrs to 57k hrs.. and its a steady decline. so begs the question.. if their not playing WoW and their not playing GW2.. what are they playing..  current indications based on numbers.. are that their playing League of Legends..   but hey.. GW2 famous for 5 minutes amiright image

Originally posted by coretex666

GW 2 XFire thread gets locked in an hour, while WoW's XFire thread remains open for discussion, so does SWTOR's.

Why?

Maybe because no one reported it? lol

Bite Me

Originally posted by coretex666

GW 2 XFire thread gets locked in an hour, while WoW's XFire thread remains open for discussion, so does SWTOR's.

Why?

because it wasnt funny enough ?image

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

Please corect if i'm wrong, but, is that "number of players" accurate. Does that mean that 5k players use xfire and those are the people the statistics come from?

I ask since i don't use it. But if the answer is yes, then, who cares? 5k wow players. What? That's an insanely small portion of the playerbase. No wonder this thing is useless and stupid.