Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

1101112131416»

Comments

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by IceAge

Trailer is nice! I like it! And pretty much what this guy from youtube said :

I got it!

First 40 seconds are about how MMORPG genre stood completely still. Continues with graffiti part - making same mistakes again and again. Then comes quote "For those who hoped for better world, the time is now to open our eyes" - we all know? what does this mean. :) Then "To rise up" and this is clear, that we all want something new. Walking on hot coal - trying something new. AND ZHAITAN! RAWR!

I wanted to write some long post outlining the trailer for those of you who don't know how to look past the face value of something or how to derive an answer from something hidden, but that youtube comment pretty much summed it up(more or less). Arenanet is all about doing things differently. Sure they could've made some cool CG trailer that totally looked nothing like the game and was misleading in more than a few areas, or they could try and relate the game to reality, which they did and even made a crossover between a real person(the woman who emerges from the water) and a game character. The trailer was well done and because 1/2 of you don't understand it its 'obviously' crap, right? Most people didn't understand certain movies that were actually incredible movies, but because they lacked the understanding or chose to be ignorant the movie must have sucked.

Ignorance =/= lack of quality.

Ignorance is bliss for the ignorant and annoying for the informed.

I still vote this be the next rebellion video thou, just get rid of the ending and put in men in business coats flying around breathing out taxes. VIVA LA REVOLUTION

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    It was awful, they should pull it before it scares potential buyers away. Love GW2 though!
  • KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by TheIronLegion
    Originally posted by IceAge

Trailer is nice! I like it! And pretty much what this guy from youtube said :

I got it!

First 40 seconds are about how MMORPG genre stood completely still. Continues with graffiti part - making same mistakes again and again. Then comes quote "For those who hoped for better world, the time is now to open our eyes" - we all know? what does this mean. :) Then "To rise up" and this is clear, that we all want something new. Walking on hot coal - trying something new. AND ZHAITAN! RAWR!

I wanted to write some long post outlining the trailer for those of you who don't know how to look past the face value of something or how to derive an answer from something hidden, but that youtube comment pretty much summed it up(more or less). Arenanet is all about doing things differently. Sure they could've made some cool CG trailer that totally looked nothing like the game and was misleading in more than a few areas, or they could try and relate the game to reality, which they did and even made a crossover between a real person(the woman who emerges from the water) and a game character. The trailer was well done and because 1/2 of you don't understand it its 'obviously' crap, right? Most people didn't understand certain movies that were actually incredible movies, but because they lacked the understanding or chose to be ignorant the movie must have sucked.

Ignorance =/= lack of quality.

Why do they people defending the video assume those who don't like it are not getting it?

We get it, and we still think it's crap because:

The themes are incoherent and deceptive. The hidden message refers to the stale MMORPG genre (WoW bashing) yet GW2 is another mass-appeal generic fantasy themepark, no more revolutionary or innovative than Warhammer was 5 years ago. It reminds me of the douchebags in college wearing Che Guevara t-shirts and eating big macs in McDonalds while listening to their iPods. Marketing GW2 as a groundbreaking, revolutionary, stick-it-to-the-man game makes ANET seem like hypocrites because their game uses major elements from the very same genre they are dissing as stale. It is the equivalent of modern day china dissing capitalism.

Once you look past the hypocrisy, there's also the fact that using a rebelious theme for a video game trailer is plain retarded. Hey guys, let's boycott the current stale MMORPG genre by picking up yet another mass-appeal family friendly themepark to slay online dragons in! That will show those evil game studios mass-producing themeparks! Boy, aren't we non-conformists!

Like I said, it's not only cliche and awful, but also deceptive. I guess it's hard to properly create a trailer when you're mentally masturbating all the way up on ANET's high horse.

Have you stopped to consider that maybe it's you who doesn't get it?

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by BadSpock

I'm kind of confused...

I mean, I "get it" but... wtf? Not very good at all IMO.

Same way I felt lol. I get the metaphors and what they are doing but my question is... why? It wasn't very good at all, I mean they could have skipped most of it and simply went to the end where the chick is in the water and that wouldn't have been to bad but the rest... 

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034

It's a bit weird but i liked it, i think it could make a good commercial on tv, might have to shorten it a bit but the basic of the commercial could do well on tv imo.

Ps people are seeing the "stale mmo genre bashing", but thats really not the main message at all to me, it's more like the virtual "epic" world you'll get in when playing an mmo, so i really don't see that in the commercial, i must be blind...

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I don't like it at all, you want to showcase your product, these stupid live-action trailers don't do that at all.

Put yourself in the shoes of a guy who has never heard about this game before: he'd be like "Ok, I still don't know what sort of damn game this is after all that", when he's finished watching the trailer.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Horrible trailor. They should pull it quick. It's that bad.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

stupid, weird video that has nothing really to do with GW2

But it will please the kiddies.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    Originally posted by QSatu
    Originally posted by wormywyrm
    Weird trailer but I kinda liked it because it was different.  Trailers don't have to show off the products features or even tell you what product the trailer is for right away necessarily...  They just need to catch your attention.  And this one did that while also displaying a couple features of the game (co-op play and epic PvE).

QFT. it's surprising how many people have hard time grasping this concept.

Lol...I think plenty grasp it. They just think it is really weak and a poor concept.

'scuse me now while I run off to spray paint some walls.

/runs away

Hey!  Don't forget your gas mask!  Wait!

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Tokken

stupid, weird video that has nothing really to do with GW2

But it will please the kiddies.

I'd say WoW's would please the kiddies. This didn't have nearly enough dragons and pandas in it to please the younger croud.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Wow, almost 300k views and so much irrational pointless hatred. The trailer is fantastic, absolutely mind-blowing spectacular. And you haters should stop denying it and look into yourselves and try to find out what this short video touched deep within you that made you loathe it so blindly and so fiercely.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by wowfan1996

Wow, almost 300k views and so much irrational pointless hatred. The trailer is fantastic, absolutely mind-blowing spectacular. And you haters should stop denying it and look into yourselves and try to find out what this short video touched deep within you that made you loathe it so blindly and so fiercely.

Lol nice sarcasm, for a second there I thought you were serious haha.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

lol

Actuially, made me want to go buy TSW...

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by QuicklyScott

The saddest part is that he is actually serious.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Krytycal

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Krytycal

Of course I'm serious. And the saddest part is that so are you. Some people just can't appreciate a video that isn't a 9000th totally bland carbon copy of something that was done before ad nauseam.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• Medicated03Medicated03 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Hmm such a sucessfull game with so many rabid fans and the vid on has 350k views o.O maybe the hype train is slowing down quite a lot.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by Medicated03
    Hmm such a sucessfull game with so many rabid fans and the vid on has 350k views o.O maybe the hype train is slowing down quite a lot.

Or maybe its because nobody wants to share it, because it's embarassingly bad.  Totally crippled its chance of going viral, and that's the real damage they did to themselves, making it like that.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• LordOfPitLordOfPit Member UncommonPosts: 86
    I love TSW, I love GW2 and enjoy them both. I also don't see what's with all the fuss about this trailer. Everyones' a critic these days, pfffffft! image