Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: Five Old School Games

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Tardcore
    And last but not least, Diplomacy
    LOL Diplomacy! My group never got the end of a game without someone tipping the board :)

Here are some of my old-time favorites (adding 5 more):

Traveller (I still misspell this word!)

War of the Ring (The original by SSI)

Magic Realm

Dungeon!

And I never played Green things, but did play another Tom Wham game Snit's Revenge!

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• garrettgarrett MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 284

Snit's Revenge = WIN!

Props to Traveller too, Car Wars, and Warhammer Fantasy RolePlay is still one of the best game systems around!

:p 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I liked Axis and DnD but i will admit i was not a huge RPG fan at that time.My table top gaming consisted of monopoly,horse racing,clue,Yahtzee and Risk :).

DnD however always intrigued me,it was the reason i began looking at rpg's like Ultima and Wizardry,Might n Magic.

However the simple board game idea was not fun because it relied on getting people together.So instead i enjoyed the early wave of single player games,mostly first person shooters.

IMO ,well actually not even an opinion but the majority of MMO players right now,were not even around or old enough to  enjoy Dnd or those other games.

What put DnD on the map was that 90% of the games were all using their DIE formula,be it 1/2/3/6 sided dice.Axis imo was more notable for it's figurines.

What i noticed back in the day was that as soon as the internet became popular ,board games died off fast.At that same time Hasbro was sued for trying to create a monopoly on board game pricing and of course lost to the USA government.

Of course no surprise guess who owns DnD?Hasbro has tried to gain copyrights on the entire board game industry,they try every year over and over to claim the right to anyone using a board for a game.After they were sued the yhired some of the biggest lawyers in the US.

Hasbro also owned Axis and Allies at one time as well.

It is actually VERY sad when you see an obvious monopoly like Hasbro ,they even have their hands  on that unknown Littel Green Things.Hasbro btw owns TSR aka Wizards of the Coast.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I just noticed that Steve jackson game GEV Ogres looks  cool with it's miniatures,would have been nice to play that game back in the day but i never heard of it until now.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It's kind of funny thinking back to the preinternet time period as well - the various magazines that many of the games had.  Not talking about things just like Dungeon or Dragon, but ADQ - BattleTechnology...etc.  It really added to the games.

I think the major depressing part, in having thought about - was losing it all about 4 years ago after a motorcycle accident.  With all the work stuff, medical stuff, post office deciding I didn't live where I did I apparently missed two payments on my storage - I couldn't blame them if they had sent a letter (post office screwed that up) but they never left a voicemail.  I found out when I went in to pay the bill... over 30 years of stuff that I had spent way too much money on, heh/meh - was all gone.  Tabletop games, RPGs, wargaming, miniatures...all gone.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I had Feudal and Squad Leader. I also had some of those C64 games (Bards Tale, Archon) Good times...
  • shavashava Member UncommonPosts: 324

Then, there are the revivals!  Remember Titan?

Here's the sourceforge online adaptation:

http://colossus.sourceforge.net/

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

I still have Axis and Allies, plus its companion, also worthy of the list - Shogun or as it was later known Samurai Swords.

Those two games kept my friends and I from getting into fights over Risk daily. It would take us 5 days before getting into a fight playing Axis and Allies.

• KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Another niche' genre

• drowelfdrowelf Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Orger was fun were else could you be a cyber super tank and take on a reinforced battion of Armor (tanks and gevs) I still remember grinding haevy tanks under my treads while shoting bouth main guns at missle tanks.
  • DerangedcowbrainDerangedcowbrain Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I tracked down Dune and the two expansions several years ago. Don't have anyone to play them with, but I remember being the only kid in my family interested as the adults pulled this game out. After that, I was hooked on games for good.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

"Old School"?

Hell, I still play many of these!

Have you guys heard of Vassal? If you haven't - it's an open source boardgame engine with litterally hundreds of games on it now...

Awful Green Things from Outer Space?

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:The_Awful_Green_Things_From_Outer_Space

Axis and Allies

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Axis_%26_Allies

There are more than a couple of PC versions of this... and IIRC there was a free one somewhere... (might look later)

Paradox Interactive owns the rights to Squad Leader at the moment and Paradox also released the last PC version of Diplomacy - which sucked by the way.  Some of which was Paradox's fault (really poor beta testing)... and some of which was ATARI's fault (limiting what Paradox was allowed to do)

In the case Diplomacy though - there are hundreds of sites around. PBEM and interactive games.

Snits Revenge - there used to be a site called "e-boardgames.com" that allowed PBEM games of this - the site is still there but not working ATM??? (not sure on the status there)

As for Wooden Ships Iron Men:

http://www.youplay.it/

Which also has games like Blue Max

Blood Bowl is a PC game too - and was on sale at GamersGate a couple of weeks ago

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-BBLE/blood-bowl-legendary-edition?caff=2208651 <- linky with my personal account referral (but if you don't want to use it you can search yourself)

Yeah... these 'retro' threads always make me laugh... I am still playing these games!

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    There is no holy trinity in D&D.  an all magic user party works just as well as an all fighter party.
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Empire Of The Petal Throne. Best RPG setting ever.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I play regularily board games with friends.

What we play most these days (we play others too of course) are these:

Dominant Species

Pandemic

Robo Rally

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• ThebozzThebozz Member UncommonPosts: 117
    I still play Axis and Allies and D&D on a regular basis.  I'd rather play either than an MMO.  Sometimes you don't have anyone to game with though.
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369

OMG so much nostalgia it's pouring out of my eyes!

Props to the poster who posted warhammer online, spent many years in my youth with that tabletop roleplay.. ahh the memories of my Norse beserker driving a gnome steam engine right through the doors of dracenfels and going up against Tzeentch avatar in Terror in Talabheim.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

I am abashed to say I have only played D&D from that list. Good to see where it all started. :)

I have played stuff like Dune, Car Wars and Magic Realm. Great picks guys.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

nobody brought up lunch money!

does lunch money count as old school?  it was/is a great card game...

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331
    .... hmmm editing

• TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons was probably the greatest "gateway" drug into gaming of any game ever conceived.  You can't have a true "Geek" credential until you've played this game.  I'm sure if I fish through some of those boxes way in the back of the attic I can come up with a few twenty sided dice.  What got me into it?  The same as everyone else.  One of the local clergy at a church in my small home town said that AD&D was demonic and we kids shouldn't play it.  I heard that and my first thought was, "I got to try that."  Probably the best advertising AD&D ever got.

From there I went to Starfleet Battles (Hello, GEEK!) and it was Starfleet Battles that was eventully my entre into online gaming.  Starfleet Battles became Starfleet Command, Startleet Command II : Empires at War and Starfleet Command II : Orion Pirates.  It was there in the Dynaverse that I met my Klingon Brothers!

From there it was game on.  A decade of online gaming later, I still owe it all to AD&D.

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Many of the games already mentioned are fantastic and offer a great deal of inspiration. I have always wanted to see Runequest / Glorantha turned into an MMO. I think that would be fantastic. Just my 02 lunars of course

Just My 2 Lunars

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Axis and Allies is a great board game, the problem I had with it was that after you played it the first few times... every game would end up with the same 2 or 3 strategies to win and it all came down to the luck of the dice.

I really enjoyed some of the Avalon Hill games like Squad Leader and one of my favorates "Flat Top" it's down side was that you couldnt dream of playing a full game in a session it could last easily for a week. When we were teenager's we had no place to keep a board up and running for an extended amount of time. Heck you could spend 2 to 3 hours just setting the game up. The best strategic military campaign board game I ever had the pleasure of playing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DerangedcowbrainDerangedcowbrain Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Robo Ralley is awesome!
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by shava

Then, there are the revivals!  Remember Titan?

Here's the sourceforge online adaptation:

http://colossus.sourceforge.net/

My first game of Titan was at E.G.G's house playing with Tom Wham. :D

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"