Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: For the Veteran MMO players only

ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
With 16 years of MMO gaming under my belt, I think I've played most worth mentioning and I'd like to ask the lot of you, which MMO would you like to see make a comeback? A comeback could mean a repopulation of the original or a modern recreation of the older game (done well) and everyone starts as a newb<----impossible I know, but this is a fantasy. I'd like to hear what tons of other Vets think.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Comments

• logicwarlogicwar Member UncommonPosts: 69
    could not vote, asherons call would get my vote.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

EQ was the only game on the list I played, so I put my vote there. Would it succeed today? I doubt it. Would it be fun? Possibly. Depend on what they did to it.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    This poll is crap as it does not have the single best FFA PvP MMO ever created and that is Asheron's Call/Darktide server.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    I chose EQ since that was my first love, but if i could choose 2 it'd also be Daoc
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I chose SWG because it was the only one I was close to buying.
  • BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

You do not want to go there.  The bastardization of a remake of your favorite game would make you cry.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

It would take some work and folks might not consider it to be the same game, but it would be needed in my opinion to prevent some of the problems experienced...but that would be Shadowbane.

It's kind of funny, because in various threads over the years - I've talked about how certain games would be better (definitely an imo thing) - if they received heavy doses of Shadowbane (or even EVE) to them.

As I type this, that MoP background ad is there.  WoW was always one of the games that easily fell into my thoughts on imagine what it would be like if it were more like Shadowbane with a side of EVE.  I start to drool.  The same goes for so many of the games out there.

Shadowbane was far from perfect, I'll be the first to admit that.  But it's almost always my first pick for a game I want to see reborn/remade.

For a period of time there, I kind of wished that CCP made Shadowbane 2.0... then again, sometimes that was just a case of wanting a Fantasy EVE.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by Badaboom

You do not want to go there.  The bastardization of a remake of your favorite game would make you cry.

This is something that's often overlooked in the discussions.  We all have these visions of how the game would be...but then look around at all the games that are out there now that we complain about...that's how the game would be.  :(

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Since EA has repeatedly stomped on all my hopes of ever seeing a 3D UO, I'd have to go with Asheron's Call.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NerfmehNerfmeh Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Ultima Online or Asheron's Call (which isnt included in the list btw )
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

Played UO and really enjoyed the class less level less system. I would absolutley love to see the game remade with production level and quality of a game like GW2 and as seamless as Vanguard.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I’ve been playing MMORPG’s for a long time. My first experience with them was with Everquest. It was an eye opening experience since it was the first time I saw what the internet and gaming put together to create this virtual world where anything was possible. I enjoyed the fantasy element and the character progression, but most of all I enjoyed the social element. Most of us that played the game in the early days had no real idea of what to do and we died a lot. Slowly we began to get it and progress steadily through the game. Eventually everyone I knew began to leave or take a break from the game. I also left eventually, but the game made a deep impression on me and it remains one of my favourite games I played. Not because the game itself was fantastic, but because of the community.

I took a break from MMO’s after that. I tried to get into some games, but at the time I was just too busy. But the next game I tried was World of Warcraft. I have a love hate relationship with the game. I was never really comfortable with its looks or atmosphere but enjoyed the raids and the fact you can just relax and have a stress free couple of hours. The game has changed a lot, and not always for the better. But it’s a game I return to when all other games seem to fail. Yet I always felt the game was very superficial but enjoyable none the less.

My next game was EVE. It was stressful, rewarding sickening, exciting and a lot of the time, dull. Imagine flying your mining barge at some empty place in 0.0 for hours on end bored out your mind and being the only one online in your Corp as you flick through the chat channels trying to convince someone to help you move minerals when suddenly a vast fleet appears and starts taking over the system. The despair I felt when I saw our rival alliance slowly took apart what our corp worked on for the last 6 months was something I never experienced in any other game. Yet I was also part of a fleet that took over wormholes and systems. And I was also the pilot that would gank defenceless ships transporting BPO’s to gods know where.

But Everquest was my first love, so it gets my vote.

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Voted for Anarchy Online because I'm sick of dragons, mediaval castles and lightsabers.
  • estevan274estevan274 Member UncommonPosts: 8

SWG. Star wars attracts players, ever.

Ultima was good because we had played good offline chapters a few years before; in a similar way I'm waiting Elder scroll online (hope is the last one to die) .

FF11 is still played and we'll see if ff14.2.0 will revive the brand.

• RequiamerRequiamer Member Posts: 2,034
    I voted Uo pre t2a for the heck of it, but i don't want any of those making a come back, they can make better games now, at least technically speaking.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    I voted SWG, as EQ is being remade already I hope to see it bloom.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by logicwar
    could not vote, asherons call would get my vote.

Same

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    swg pre nge would rock the socks off anything out there, including swtor.  I would even play the nge it would be preferable to that crap that bioware tried to sell us.
  • PyrateLVPyrateLV Member CommonPosts: 1,096
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    swg pre nge would rock the socks off anything out there, including swtor.  I would even play the nge it would be preferable to that crap that bioware tried to sell us.

Agreed

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Everquest by default since it was my first love.  The zones are so vast and it feels like a natural world, not tailor made for your leveling.  It was a deep game meant for the long haul.  It was hard if travelling alone and made grouping mandatory, for a Pally at least, as you leveled up.  I started speaking in past tense because I'm not sure if they've change it.  I'm going out on a positive thinking limb here and say that a "re-imagining" of EQ is coming... I won't put too much stock in that yet though, heh.

AC and SWG are two others that, from what I know of their systems, would be great modern games.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

I would go with SWG if it were pre-NGE and pre-CU.

However, it is pointless to even think that such a think could or would happen. The development team for that game have moved on and I doubt there is anyone that could replicate that experience. Further, SWG is a dead subject for any "remake" as EA/Bioware now hold the "Star Wars MMO" billing.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

I voted for Anarchy Online because you failed to include Asheron's Call.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633
    I would have to say SWG. I think it would do the best in todays market/environment with a good remake Pre NGE etc. This was a really hard choice for me though, because I loved UO and FFXI both when I played them. But I think SWG would be the best bet and most successful of the list. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Even though EQ is my old school MMO of choice, my vote goes to Asheron's Call (not listed), as I think a game like AC has a better chance of being successful today than a game like EQ.

It's interesting to see how many folks have mentioned AC.  AC replaced UO and was partly responsible for why EQ never got a shot, but I found it quickly replaced by AO which was had a detour into EnB before going back to AO - then it was SB/SWG leading up to CoH, over to WoW, then EVE, and even some AO - resulting in my first foursome of MMORPGs that I rotated: AO, CoH, EVE, and WoW.

Speaking of CoX, that would probably be third on my list...after giving some love to AO.

SB -> AO -> CoX

Course, having mentioned Earth & Beyond...then there's also Auto Assault...meh.