Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 sales open again, but no resolve to hacked accounts.

MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

I was initially wondering if the hacked account issue could have been caused internally to push people to buy additional accounts for the game and then they took sales off line so I thought, maybe I'm wrong! Now I see that sales are open again yet my hacked account is still unresolved almost a week later.

I'm truly disgusted.

The fact that we even had to use our email addresses as our usernames is beyond my understanding...

www.greedmonger.com
Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

Comments

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    You should write a book....

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

I had cancelled my pre-purchase and the moment GW2 released, I was already receiving emails about an attempt to change my password. Pretty ridiculous.

Sorry to hear so many people got hacked. Brutal.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Did you bother to format your ticket correctly? Have you used the self help feature?
  • MogusMogus Member Posts: 169

Yes Bookworm, I've done it all as they have requested.

www.greedmonger.com
    Did you like Ultima Online? Then you'll LOVE Greed Monger!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Mogus

The fact that we even had to use our email addresses as our usernames is beyond my understanding...

never liked that either but its something that both ncsoft and blizzard have done for years

hope you get your account back soon

edit:

personally i was annoyed that anet reopened digital sales

because i was under the impression they are still swamped w support tickets

makes more sense to not offer further digital sales until anet supports character rollbacks

currently, if your characters get deleted -- they are gone forever

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/CHARACTERS-DELETED

• Angier2758Angier2758 Member UncommonPosts: 1,026

using a "game" e-mail? and a password that you're using no where else?

A lot of gamers as smart as they think they are (especially college gamers) are unsecure as hell.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

An authenticater is never a bad thing, love the smart phone one's. I'm really wishing and wondering why GW2 didnt release with one.

Hope all who have been hacked get sorted out in the quickest manner.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Over a week ago the sent out a update stating that all accounts still have issues with being hacked would take priority and that if you have issue resubmit a ticket. Did you not get any response in the last week on this problem. They have been able to resolve most of the users who had hacked accounts. Do not know why you would not be resolved since they resolved so many others.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by laserit

An authenticater is never a bad thing, love the smart phone one's. I'm really wishing and wondering why GW2 didnt release with one.

I agree they need one, it was probably down their list of things to do just never got to it.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I was initially wondering if the hacked account issue could have been caused internally to push people to buy additional accounts for the game and then they took sales off line so I thought, maybe I'm wrong! Now I see that sales are open again yet my hacked account is still unresolved almost a week later.

I'm truly disgusted.

Let's see, guild mate Chris' account hacked on the 6th.   Posts in guild forums at:  06 Sep 2012 12:22

Pretty much says it on the topic, my accounts been taken for the time being for an unknown reason, be weary that it's very likely not me on the account.

Sent out a ticket to get it reinstated but for the time being try avoid it.

Just thought I should warn you guys,

-Chris

Next day:

07 Sep 2012 14:58

Aaaaaannnnd i'm back! Account has no damage (or has been rolled back) and I'm in full control once more!

Those curious how it went down; I have NO idea. I sent off the information, they just reset it back to my email with a new password, didn't even need to talk to me about it xD

Thanks for all the support <3

I wonder why people think it's necessary to tell tales about the horrible customer service vis hacked accounts.  If you provide the original purchase information in a timely, concise and yet complete fashion, it's a piece of cake.   If you've been sloppy or stupid or careless with your information...

Well, you've got nobody to blame but yourself.  Twice.   First, you violated the 'DO NOT REUSE PASSWORDS' rule.   Second, you failed to keep the information necessary to prove ownership, which is just silly.    I mean, you wouldn't throw the title to your car away...   

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by MosesZD

Aaaaaannnnd i'm back! Account has no damage (or has been rolled back) and I'm in full control once more!

Those curious how it went down; I have NO idea. I sent off the information, they just reset it back to my email with a new password, didn't even need to talk to me about it xD

anet has no support for character rollbacks (yet)

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/support/account/CHARACTERS-DELETED

we don’t have the capacity to reinstate characters right now. This is something we take really seriously, we are gathering the data, and we’ll be able to offer this service in the future.

• mbolmembolme Member Posts: 48
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Originally posted by laserit

I agree they need one, it was probably down their list of things to do just never got to it.

I htink they have better with the email to log in feature. If you never set your IP to automatically approve, then every log-in will require that you approve it via email. Very fast and secure.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I'm truly disgusted.

NC soft have been using this model for many years and now you see a conspiracy?

Yeah, it is not great but the fact is that whenever a new IP try to log in to the game you get a mail and need to verify it. That some morons use the same password for everything is not really NC softs fault.

Anyone smart do as they suggest and have a special mail adress just for his NC soft account.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Angier2758

A lot of gamers as smart as they think they are (especially college gamers) are unsecure as hell.

irony is that i have a pw book that i thought i lost when i moved..it turned up late yesterday evening and when i checked all passwords the only time i copied the same pw was for aion..dont have an account with gw2guru or whatever it was called.everything else was different in all other games..so for me it  came from aion...and that was before gameforge took over cos i have not played aion in 18 months or longer..although i did transfer account to gameforge..so work that one out..also day 6 and still jack shit off Anet.according to their site they are dealing with all hacked accounts i think within 48 hrs of ticket being put in..either i,m bad at maths or they are.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Let's see, guild mate Chris' account hacked on the 6th.   Posts in guild forums at:  06 Sep 2012 12:22

Pretty much says it on the topic, my accounts been taken for the time being for an unknown reason, be weary that it's very likely not me on the account.

-Chris

Next day:

I wonder why people think it's necessary to tell tales about the horrible customer service vis hacked accounts.  If you provide the original purchase information in a timely, concise and yet complete fashion, it's a piece of cake.   If you've been sloppy or stupid or careless with your information...

Well, you've got nobody to blame but yourself.  Twice.   First, you violated the 'DO NOT REUSE PASSWORDS' rule.   Second, you failed to keep the information necessary to prove ownership, which is just silly.    I mean, you wouldn't throw the title to your car away...   

Tip Chris to change mail adress as well, it is likely that thye hacked it too and you just cant be too sure.

• KalebGraysonKalebGrayson Member RarePosts: 430

I'm truly disgusted.

Let's see, guild mate Chris' account hacked on the 6th.   Posts in guild forums at:  06 Sep 2012 12:22

-Chris

Next day:

I wonder why people think it's necessary to tell tales about the horrible customer service vis hacked accounts.  If you provide the original purchase information in a timely, concise and yet complete fashion, it's a piece of cake.   If you've been sloppy or stupid or careless with your information...

Well, you've got nobody to blame but yourself.  Twice.   First, you violated the 'DO NOT REUSE PASSWORDS' rule.   Second, you failed to keep the information necessary to prove ownership, which is just silly.    I mean, you wouldn't throw the title to your car away...   

My friend got an email today stating his email address was changed on his account.  No matter what he does in Anets recovery system, he gets an error message stating that he needs to contact customer support.  Is it his bad for not setting up an exclusive password?  Absolutely...but your comments above, specifically  I wonder why people think it's necessary to tell tales about the horrible customer service vis hacked accounts. If you provide the original purchase information in a timely, concise and yet complete fashion, it's a piece of cake. If you've been sloppy or stupid or careless with your information..." are in this case incorrect.  No matter how many times he enters in the correct information, in a timely, concise and comnplete fashion, it can not be fixed by their automated customer service system.  That makes it also a failure on Anet's part.

• ConnmacartConnmacart Member UncommonPosts: 722
    Originally posted by kevjards

irony is that i have a pw book that i thought i lost when i moved..it turned up late yesterday evening and when i checked all passwords the only time i copied the same pw was for aion..dont have an account with gw2guru or whatever it was called.everything else was different in all other games..so for me it  came from aion...and that was before gameforge took over cos i have not played aion in 18 months or longer..although i did transfer account to gameforge..so work that one out..also day 6 and still jack shit off Anet.according to their site they are dealing with all hacked accounts i think within 48 hrs of ticket being put in..either i,m bad at maths or they are.

I think people need to look a bit further than just other games and game sites. Any site you sign up for is a potential risk. No doubt malicious hacker groups are trading login and passwords from various sources. Just because Steve signed up for a trucker site does not mean he isn't an avid gamer as well.

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

I was under the impression that ANet stopping sales wasw not hand in hand with hacked accts.

I thought it was a full server/no queues poppin issue.....

Originally posted by Connmacart

I think people need to look a bit further than just other games and game sites. Any site you sign up for is a potential risk. No doubt malicious hacker groups are trading login and passwords from various sources. Just because Steve signed up for a trucker site does not mean he isn't an avid gamer as well.

oh i totally agree..but i dont hold anything else online really..all i have is my game accounts ..which obviously hold my e-mail adress and this site which is a different one.i am under no illusion that i had a part to play in me being hacked but for Anet just to allow a change of e-mail adress without any security attatched have to be held partly responsible..especially this day and age of internet fraud.like i said.you live and learn by mistakes..and all these people who are intent on sticking up for Anet.i wonder just how quick they would have been on here screaming at the appalling service provided by their customer support if they got hacked..i mean for instance the title of my ticket was in big capitals..i have been hacked..what not to understand about that.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Hacking is always going to be an issue. There's no way to get rid of that. While I do hope Anet takes measures to beefen up security (maybe authenticators like everyone's been asking for?), the real issue atm is their customer support. Atm it's just not good enough to deal w/ the issue. Tickets are getting resolved, but it's @ a snail's pace. They really do need to get a handle on this, and soon.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698

I'm truly disgusted.

Well next time use a unique password for your game account. Using your email address as your username is not a problem for GW2 unless you use the same password. The fault of the hacked accounts falls entirely on the user and is in no way the fault of Anet. I don't care if they have 500 or 50000 hacked accounts to restore. It will get done when it gets done. In the mean time check out this password manager:

http://keepass.info/

Like you I have been hacked before. However unlike you and the rest of those complaining, I DID NOT blame the website in question. I used the same password for my hotmail and paypal for years. It finally caught up to me one day and I had to jump through hoops to get my money back. Now I use a 16 character length password for all my accounts. Unless I download a keylogger that functions perfectly, I will never be hacked again... ever.

Originally posted by aesperus
    Hacking is always going to be an issue. There's no way to get rid of that. While I do hope Anet takes measures to beefen up security (maybe authenticators like everyone's been asking for?), the real issue atm is their customer support. Atm it's just not good enough to deal w/ the issue. Tickets are getting resolved, but it's @ a snail's pace. They really do need to get a handle on this, and soon.

thats my point..they started selling again which is their right but without sorting the problems with the hacked accounts..to me it  feel like they just told me to f-ck off..and all the other people who have waited longer than i have i feel even more sorry for them.

now they maybe not have the problems now that they had before because they beefed up their security,which i applaud.

my question is why was it so lax in the first place.

• BoltonsquadBoltonsquad Member UncommonPosts: 403
    People who have been hacked only have themselves to blame [mod edit] and using the exact same password on fansites I have no sympathy for any of them and to be honest I don't see why Arenanet should waste there time getting back players accounts.
  • jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by aesperus

thats my point..they started selling again which is their right but without sorting the problems with the hacked accounts..to me it  feel like they just told me to f-ck off..and all the other people who have waited longer than i have i feel even more sorry for them.

now they maybe not have the problems now that they had before because they beefed up their security,which i applaud.

my question is why was it so lax in the first place.

It wasn't their security that was lax... it was yours.

• SmilingdeathSmilingdeath Member Posts: 7

yes, my password is 123456, im a big space balls fan.

A-net did not send you a password and make you use it. If your account was hacked, its really on you.

L2Make Passwords.