Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Are People Upset About GW2's Overwhelming Success?

sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

Comments

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520
    Originally posted by sonoggi
    maybe mmorpg.com is where these people congregate, which would explain the frequency of such strange threads, maybe it's their alts posting. but why would you be MAD about it bros? the game is epic, and even when u look at it completely objectively, at the very least it's above the average. 

That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black.

People don't like being lied to.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

I am more curious as to why people who like GW2 care so much what those who dislike it think.

You didn't make the game, all you did was buy it, play it, and like it so why say things like "you mad bros"?  Makes no sense whatsoever.

"I like playin GW2 'cause ppl who dont like it are mad" lol?

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

If there was more realism, and less "Quest Hubs are Dead" articles, there would be a more real responce.

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274

Oh look Mummy another one of these threads ...

This will end well I'm sure :p

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Truth be told it's not all just mindless bashing or biased crusaders nitpicking. There are those that recognize GW2's qualities but simply didn't like them for whatever reason.

Totally offtopic but I am one of those that did like SWTOR... just not as a "MMO"RPG and in no way viable as a long term game (expecting monthly fee revenue out of that was simply absurd). We'll still see how GW2 fares in this regard but at least it doesn't set itself up for a possible financial disaster by expecting subscriptions.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

beauty lies in the eye of the beholder my friend.

What is a beautifull flower to you,  is a pile of steamig to another.

As simple as that.

• sonoggisonoggi Member Posts: 1,119
    Originally posted by Krytycal

That's exactly the problem. The game is an above average themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black.

no one is being lied to. the game delivered exactly what was promised. if not more. and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

no one is being lied to. the game delivered exactly what was promised. if not more. and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that it's bringing huge change to the genre and setting the bar. just DE's on their own will require future competition to ditch the traditional questing system entirely, or be horribly ridiculed. 

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298

THAT'S WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE.

Anet have said they wanted to get rid of all the crap that makes the other games boring and tiring and put a new spin on it that makes it fun to play, thats it. Noone was lied to.

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

That's exactly the problem. The game is a very good themepark MMORPG, but people (including ANET) keep painting it like it's the Obama of the MMO genre when in reality it's just a different take on the same old, I mean, at least Obama was black.

How can it be being lied to if folks are just posting their opinions? An opinion can't really be a lie, you can only lie that it's your opinion...

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

I can. I will. I do.

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415

and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

I was going to come here and make a possibly good post trying to discuss things. Then i saw this. So, my comment is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

no one is being lied to. the game delivered exactly what was promised. if not more. and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

well there is no doubt the game is good but when you compare it to obama its almost laughable..lets hope Anet never get the job of security in the whitehouse eh!

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Complete exaggeration.  The usual skeptics are perfectly in-line with every other game's release.  Infact, there are a lot less skeptics then games like SWTOR and Rift.

If anything, mmorpg.com houses more fanboys for GW2 then anything else. 

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    I have real theory for you. These boards are populated with a lot of niche gamers. Gamers that enjoy things like Darkfall or Mortal Online (etc). Many of these gamers are hurt that their game of choice has the population of Monowi Nebraska. So they come here and find a highly successful game, a game that does not fit their idea of a good game and bash it. 
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Because happiness will not be tolerated by some people.  Positive and upbeat doesn't seem as intelligent and mysterious as brooding and cynical.  If you are part of the former just tolerlate the latter and be thankful  image

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    ^^^ this
  • BeackerBeacker Member UncommonPosts: 440

I have come to realize that most of the posts here are about QQing about this or that. It seems that the community here is usually full of trolls who have nothing better to do than bash Game A and Game B. You will find more negative threads on this site than positive ones.

In the end I don't care about anyones opinion on any game. I make up my own mind. If everyone is bashing a game so what. I will figure out for myself if I like it. I however will not go on a tirade about why the game is bad and incite a flame fest. I just think most people do not have the patience for any MMO anymore so after a week they have nothing good to say because they are already burnt out. In reality they are just sick of the genre and probably need to quit playing MMO's altogether.

I have learned to play MMO's for what they are worth now. No point in setting high expectations. I just enjoy playing with my friends end of story. That to me is an MMO. I bet most of these people who are upset about the game's success probably solo'd and then cried about how bad the game was. Get some friends, it makes even the crappiest of MMO'sd fun. I got suckered into playing WoW for a brief time and I never wanted to play that game and I hated it. I just played it because all my friends went there. No matter what the game is people will hate, that just comes with the E-territory.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

wow  readfing all of this ...i exicuted like 15 facepalms.

you need more reality all of you

• KrytycalKrytycal Member Posts: 520

no one is being lied to. the game delivered exactly what was promised. if not more. and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that it's bringing huge change to the genre and setting the bar. just DE's on their own will require future competition to ditch the traditional questing system entirely, or be horribly ridiculed. 

I guess that's where I and the fans disagree. I don't think GW2 introduces as many new major features as you think it does. DEs are not new considering they were major features in WAR and Rift, and many MMOs have used them in the past. I did my first "Dynamic Events" in CoH back in 2004-2005 with alien invasions. Again, not new. 

Personally I think the only major element GW2 introduced was the lack of trinity. ANET went with mostly safe and familiar for everything else.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

The biggest problem with today's MMO's is not traditional questing systems, where the genre has gone astray is in community involvement as well as community building features. I don't see how GW2 has fixed that problem, they may have put a band-aid on it, yet the problem still persists. What the genre needs is companies to start focusing on hybrid features, A-net took what was good about old themeparks and slightly improved on that. They've only completed half the job that a studio needs to do to bring back longterm options in this genre. <-----All IMO of course...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Requiem1066Requiem1066 Member Posts: 274
    and even when u look at it completely objectively

I think some of the issue is a lot of the more vocal fan's are guilty of not looking at the game objectively either. If someone posts a genuine dislike or opinion that differ's from their own then it turns into a  Salem Witch hunt, and they have more people jumping on them than a bouncy castle.

The fault doesn't lay with one side or the other .. but with both that fail to look at things with a little common sense and not hate/love filled eyes.

Someone blinded by love for the game is just as bad as someone blinded by hate 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I guess that's where I and the fans disagree. I don't think GW2 introduces as many new major features as you think it does. DEs are not new considering they were major features in WAR and Rift, and many MMOs have used them in the past. I did my first "Dynamic Events" in CoH back in 2004-2005 with alien invasions. Again, not new. 

Personally I think the only major element GW2 introduced was the lack of trinity. ANET went with mostly safe and familiar for everything else.

I think the difference is that GW2 is based entirely off of DEs while those other games just featured them as an add-on.  Events in GW2 tie in and branch off through the whole game.  ANet didn't invent events but they built a whole MMO from them to show the story rather than tell it.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

Is GW2 really an overwhelming success though? Give it at leat another 3 or 4 months before declaring it one.

That being said, I think many of us found the game to be dry, boring, and lacking in many ways. So while it might be a success to fans of the game, and possibly the accountants at Anet (but again, its too early to tell), the game is not the one to rule them all that many claimed before launch and still claim to this day.

Originally posted by MMOwanderer

and it is the Obama of MMo's, to be perfectly honest. u cant deny that. 

I was going to come here and make a possibly good post trying to discuss things. Then i saw this. So, my comment is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

well i was gonna be rational, but then he mentioned Obama and GW2 in one sentence, and that got me going. i love them both so much. 

This discussion has been closed.