Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Whats your game?

slowpoke68slowpoke68 Chicago, ILPosts: 413Member Uncommon

Just wondering what people are playing these days and what they consider (in their opinion) to be the best MMO on the market.

I have tried most of the big titles that have come out over the last couple of years but here is what I am playing.

My pve mmo is Lord of the Rings.  It has the best game world and best community of any mmo and since I'm a Tolkien fan I really enjoy it.  Oddly, it didn't grab me the first couple of times I tried it, but I kept going back and now I think its one of the best mmos I have ever played.

For my pvp fix I am still going back once in a blue moon to WAR...best pvp around still in my opinon.  Just wish the game would get some attention from its devs.  May give GW2 a look for my pvp game, but am waiting for the hype to die down to see what its looking like.

How about you?

Comments

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott BristolPosts: 433Member
    EVE is the best in my opinion.  I took advantage of an offer emailed to me and I'm currently subscribed for 90 days.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Brandon, FLPosts: 3,649Member
    I'm not currently playing any MMORPG; but I would consider The Secret World to be the best game on the market.  Years ago, I might have said EVE...but that changed years ago.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• DrazioDrazio Longwood, FLPosts: 11Member

EVE going on 9yrs for PVE/PVP, its still around and looking good, and always seems to maintain against the onslaught of new MMOS every year.

Looking forward to Mechwarrior Online for quick 'drops'.

• FullmoonfeverFullmoonfever Mineola, TXPosts: 5Member
    I am not in any mmo full time right now.I did activate my wow account for 1 month to experiment with the mop changes to see if I might want to play the new expansion which as of right now I am sad to say is No! My future plans include the relaunch of Saga of Ryzom in late Sept:P
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

Just wondering what people are playing these days and what they consider (in their opinion) to be the best MMO on the market.

I have tried most of the big titles that have come out over the last couple of years but here is what I am playing.

My pve mmo is Lord of the Rings.  It has the best game world and best community of any mmo and since I'm a Tolkien fan I really enjoy it.  Oddly, it didn't grab me the first couple of times I tried it, but I kept going back and now I think its one of the best mmos I have ever played.

I give lotro a close second to Vanguard,the community and the actual feeling of the world is right up their.You actually feel like you are really playing a true RPG and it does give the Tolkien feeling.The wardrobe features are the best in any mmo to date.

Vanguard is also up their for me as well,vast world and never ending exploration with a world that has more content than anything released in the last 5 years.

For my pvp fix I am still going back once in a blue moon to WAR...best pvp around still in my opinon.  Just wish the game would get some attention from its devs.  May give GW2 a look for my pvp game, but am waiting for the hype to die down to see what its looking like.

PvP is lacking for me at the moment,even GW2 is just a repeatable going know where PvP IMO.

How about you?

Laurelin RP server in lotro is a gem.

• Z3R01Z3R01 NYC, NYPosts: 2,426Member

I don't have a MMO that i always go back to anymore.

It was Eve Online but silly decisions by CCP basically bending to the will of the hardcore elitist crowd and not evolving the game  has me without a game to go back to.  Developers that are afraid to evolve their game due to threats dont deserve my respect or my money.

You should stand by your vision... Eve online was supposed to be more than spaceships, it was supposed to be explorable worlds, ground combat, interactive stations, atmospheric flight... Its clear CCP doesnt have the balls to evolve their game, bend with legs pinned behind their ears at any crying by the vet players...

Since CCP has failed me I am playing Planetside 2 & Guild Wars 2, decent distractions for now.

Playing:

Waiting on:

• ThraliaThralia EngerPosts: 219Member
    at the moment none really..just playing alot of World of tanks but i was playing Lineage 2 for many many years and always went back to it for the pk and the castle sieges n the hero olympiad and for the ppl n friends i had there.
  • QuirhidQuirhid TamperePosts: 5,969Member Common
    I am playing GW2 at the moment.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• DraronDraron A town in, KYPosts: 993Member
    Playing UO (OSI) for my PVE/PVP/community intereaction/whatever else I play an MMO for. 'Bout it, really. Most of my gaming time is spent on non-MMO's.
  • RecoreRecore Posts: 5,091Member Uncommon
    Just started Final Fantasy XIV and so far I like it. Reminds me of Lineage 2 but with out the pvp.
    Raptr Gamercard
  • SimphanaticSimphanatic Marion, IAPosts: 92Member

I played a text-based game, called Holy-War, off and on for a long time. As the genre goes, it was an absolutely wonderful game because hard work was well rewarded and the integrated online chat system made for a stellar community. Unfortunately, the publisher (GaS) totally wrecked the game by allowing people to purchase their stats with real-life money. Once the pay-to-win crowd began spending thousands monthly there was no return. Were it not for that I'd go back to it in a heart beat.

Unfortunately, I next tried Perfect World, which features a degree of character customization and animation that has probably spoiled me for other MMOs for all time. I played Perfect World for nearly four years, but finally walked away principally because of the Pay-to-Win cash shop and the fact that I'd leveled up every class (some of them multiple times).

Somewhere along the way I began playing WoW and leveled a few classes to cap. I absolutely adore my Worgen Hunter, but personal circumstances have pretty much restricted my play to grinding, crafting, and seeing just how much wealth I can accrue on the auction house.

Most recently, I played Star Wars: the Old Republic. Leveled all the Empire classes and a Jedi Knight to level cap. Personal circumstances, boredom, and a sucky economic system drove me away. I've kept up my subscription, but it's unlikely I'll go back. Kind of doing a wait and see on that one. EA has a lot invested in the game and I can't see where their cash shop won't go pay-to-win eventually, and I don't want to invest more time in another of those.

Tried LoTRO briefly, but the REALLY clunky combat system, mediocre character customization, and horrible combat animation turned me off.

Played TSW for a month, but personal circumstances, the game's really weird crafting system, lack of any palpable economy, and clumsy (to me) combat system was a turn off. Truthfully, I could have gotten hooked on TSW -- it has a really good community, more mature I think -- but personal circumstances ultimately drove me off (no fault of the game).

Tried GW2 for a while, but  the cartoonish feel of it didn't spin me up. I've also had it up to my eyebrows fighting combat bunnies.

Last, I bought the Tera disks from Amazon, but after initial install the patch update was going to take over two days. That didn't seem to bode well for overall playability, so I deleted it off my pc, never having played the game.

Rift -- yup, tried that too for about an hour. Again, character customization, a cartoonish look and feel, and clunky combat turned me off.

As I said near the top, Perfect World's character customization and animations have spoiled me for most other games. Unfortunately, PW's financial model is something in which I've vowed to never waste another minute. To heck with ALL pay-to-win players and the game publishers that provide the nipples on which they suckle.

So, at the moment, I'm playing no MMOs at all.

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect CardiffPosts: 1,243Member
    I'm still playing The Secret World, though I'm not sure for how much longer as there doesn't seem to be a lot of players in the later zones. I couldn't do either of the Egypt dungeons for that reason.

I think it's quite sad really, the game is fantastic and just isn't getting the appreciation it deserves.
  • dave6660dave6660 New York, NYPosts: 2,543Member Uncommon

Atlantica Online and occasionally Path of Exile.

I'm considering coming out of retirement from Eve in the coming months.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member

Diablo 3 now.

Probably will be Borderland 2 when it is out. Then torchlight.

May go back to WOW for MOP.

• AdoniAdoni Tucson, AZPosts: 346Member Uncommon

My time is split.

1. World Of Warcaft

2. Guild Wars 2

3. Diablo 3

EA activated my 5 yeard old Ultima Online account till October, I thought that it was lost but its not and my stuff is there so I've been playing it too.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Edmonton, ABPosts: 793Member
    GW2 until ArcheAge... that's about it.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• BetaguyBetaguy Halifax, NSPosts: 2,590Member
    I haven't one atm, but I am waiting to see how some of the up and coming titles pan out, particularly repop!

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Stow, OHPosts: 1,214Member

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

- HUGE world

- Tons of quests

- Free roam

- Great community

- Actual dungeon crawls with people willing to stay throughout the whole thing (BTW...recently been in a dungeon I swear is as big as some zones in more modern MMORPG's.

- Great graphics for it's age.

- Lots of races and classes to choose from.

Cons: May just be my internet connection, but a bit laggy. Works better with older graphics drivers.

EVE Online is a close second.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon santa clara, CAPosts: 22,441Member
    Originally posted by dave6660

Atlantica Online and occasionally Path of Exile.

I'm considering coming out of retirement from Eve in the coming months.

How is PoE? In particular, how does the combat plays .. are there a lot of different skills? I have seen their talent tree .. and i think it is too cumbersome without adding a lot (so many one percentage here, and one percentage point there).

However, if the setting and combat are good, i probably would give it a try.

• ThorbrandThorbrand West Palm Beach, FLPosts: 1,198Member

Playing GW2 but there is no best MMO in the market yet. They all fail in my book until they start making real MMOs again.

GW2 is fun!

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Virginia beach, VAPosts: 1,128Member Uncommon

Playing SWTOR alot still. Eve Online im quitting at the end of the month as im moving across country and money will be tight for few weeks during the move. Plus I pretty much sign in to skill up then leave. World of Tanks I play in small doses when i get the x2 or x3 xp boost for wins. Wtg on World of Darkness and mechwarrior online. I may go get GW2 today and check it out.

***Double plunger salute for Footballs season!!! WOOT!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: SWTOR, ESO, WOT, and Marvel Heroes

• blognorgblognorg Roseburg, ORPosts: 643Member

Like many, my favorite game is just a shadow of its former self.

• NizurNizur Austin, TXPosts: 1,417Member
    Not playing any MMO at the moment. I'm playing Skyrim still off and on until the LotRO Mac client comes out next month hopefully.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• LarsaLarsa NurembergPosts: 990Member

Playing Wurm Online.

Usually I play only one game at a time but currently I also dabble a bit in Salem beta. For me the genre is all about indie games and sandboxes.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Seattle, WAPosts: 220Member
    I am playing SWTOR(I know I know) and Wow at the moment.  I will probably only play Wow for a couple of months as I just am interested in seeing what the new expansion has and getting through content and that will be the end of it for me.  I tried Guild Wars 2 and it is honestly the most boring MMO I have ever played, I know a lot of people love it and I am happy for them,  but after giving it 2 weeks I feel confident it is not for me and I doubt I will be logging in anymore.  I would like to try TSW but only if it went f2p I'm not interested enough in it to spend 60 bucks plus a monthly sub.