Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Game Sales Reopen, New Trailer Released

124»

Comments

• talonkuntalonkun Member Posts: 13
    And the Nerds shall conquer all!
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Yeah, i dont buy that the trailer was intended for us older MMO'ers.  Cus if it was their marketing department failed hard.

GW2 is designed for the newer generation who wants instant gratification and easy mode gaming.  Most of us older gamers realize that although we dont have the time to invest we'd still rather have something to work towards as more long term goals.

yet its more difficult that most any MMO thats been released in the past 10 years.. go figure. Except here though the hardcore elite pro MMOers of MMORPG.com are just to pro for this game.... so Iv'e heard...

I have been gaming since the 80s so I'd consider myself an "older" gamer..

trailer was little better on second watch but still dissapointing overall to me

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by Grimlock426

That sucked!  Good things games largely aren't liked or disliked based on the trailer.  Blizzard and Bioware have nothing to worry about in the trailers department that's for sure!   LOL!

No matter what you think of WoW or SWTOR, their trailers destroy this!  Heck, DC Universe online had a trailer cinematic that was MUCH cooler!

You're right, for SWTOR, BioWare provided BEAUTIFUL trailers, like this: http://youtu.be/mm4JEZudf0c

And gameplay like this: http://pixelbark.com/699

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Yamota
    That was a horrible trailer and the proportion of dislikes on Youtube shows it. What were they thinking?

They were obviously thinking that the most mmo players will understand the meaning behind the trailer.

When I see all the comments on "how awful" the trailer is and the dislikes you mentioned, it seems that unfortunately most people dind't. ^_^

They could had done it easier for people to understand and a little bit different but for the meaning it had and the message it wanted to deliver, it was well done. 

It showcased the connection between the mmo players and the old norm that mmos were carrying for years now making things stagnant.

People that got "rebellious" (the sprayer girl) trying to break free from the mold (the gw 2 color under the guys "molded"/petrified skin) through the freedom and choice GW2 provides one with (unlike other mmos) after they wanted to have something different for a long time now.

People that were "on the fence" and unsure if they should leave the old ways mmos worked behind, "gathered and walked over the fire",  by giving GW2 a try and noticing that they can do things on their own without handholding involved (the guy that smiles after he made the experience when he walks over the fire on his own, making the transition).  

So no matter who you are (personal story), what "race" you are or where you are coming from, the time is now to step into the GW2 universe together and enjoy yourselfs the way you want it.

It would had been better to let the narrator bring the message through a little bit of wording over, but all in all I didn't find it to be a bad trailer.

• roo67roo67 Member Posts: 402

Its original but I'm not sure if it sells Guild Wars 2 well . The game itself is  the best mmo I've played since I first played Warcraft 7 in 2005 .  I think its the quality of the game , nearly overwealming possative reactions in online forums and word of mouth that will sell it .But they also need a decent trailor so I think they need to have a rethink about this one .

Do any of the people in it look like they would actually play an MMO ?

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,625
    This was a leaked trailer for a new mmo coming out called The Secret Guild: World Wars
  • AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Raekon
    That was a horrible trailer and the proportion of dislikes on Youtube shows it. What were they thinking?

They were obviously thinking that the most mmo players will understand the meaning behind the trailer.

When I see all the comments on "how awful" the trailer is and the dislikes you mentioned, it seems that unfortunately most people dind't. ^_^

They could had done it easier for people to understand and a little bit different but for the meaning it had and the message it wanted to deliver, it was well done. 

It showcased the connection between the mmo players and the old norm that mmos were carrying for years now making things stagnant.

People that got "rebellious" (the sprayer girl) trying to break free from the mold (the gw 2 color under the guys "molded"/petrified skin) through the freedom and choice GW2 provides one with (unlike other mmos) after they wanted to have something different for a long time now.

People that were "on the fence" and unsure if they should leave the old ways mmos worked behind, "gathered and walked over the fire",  by giving GW2 a try and noticing that they can do things on their own without handholding involved (the guy that smiles after he made the experience when he walks over the fire on his own, making the transition).  

So no matter who you are (personal story), what "race" you are or where you are coming from, the time is now to step into the GW2 universe together and enjoy yourselfs the way you want it.

It would had been better to let the narrator bring the message through a little bit of wording over, but all in all I didn't find it to be a bad trailer.

Oh I got it alright, and I find it patronizing, over the top and borderline ridiculous. I would have never approved this had I been their comms or marketing director. 

• karlostgr8karlostgr8 Member Posts: 5
    What many of you fail to see is that this trailer depicts the symbolic breaking of the generic MMO formula. Where gamers constraints in generic MMO's have been lifted. Arenanets courage to step up against the norm and create a vastly differant experience than you could get from any other MMO. They have essentialy broken the holy trinity and givin us a breathe of fresh air. This trailer may seem disconnected and may not apeal to the average person but it shows what Arenanet has achieved in its creation of Guild Wars 2.

lol?

• BluntozeBluntoze Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by wartyxwt
    Coulda sworn youtube was showing a TSW advert before the video, then I realized it was the video lol.

Lool , Exactly my feeling , i was looking for the skip button after a while.

I think everyone was drunk or hungover from celebrating the success to much when they let this go trough. The idea would be nice and is not new , BUT FREAK it slooks like something totally off and made while on heavy drugs.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by Adiaris

Oh I got it alright, and I find it patronizing, over the top and borderline ridiculous. I would have never approved this had I been their comms or marketing director. 

Why would that be "patronizing" or over the top and most of all ridicoulos?

It showcases what ANet stood up for and it was to make a difference. My interpretation of the "walking over the fire" part was also slightly wrong it seems because it actually showcases the Companys courage on not being afraid to try something new.

The woman in the water was the only bright color in a colorless world (since all mmos are rather "the same" in the meantime) until she sees the light that brings her into the GW2 world.

A other guy wrote it much better and explained the whole thing better than me in the GW2 section of the forums.

In my opinion the whole concept (even a bit heavy for the mass) and the message it delivers is brilliant.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    The trailer... I thought i was watching a secret world trailer wondering 'who the heck would put up the wrong trailer?' 
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Yeah, that was terrible. I much preferred the original GW trailers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAGS5-hhCcY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBAxPYq0WYw

Couldnt find a HD version of the first one, but it looked much better, still you can get the idea.

I suppose the artsy crap worked for Sony, and most actual gamers already know of Guild Wars 2, so its worth a shot for them.

• SythionSythion Member Posts: 422

I name this trailer "The Road to Pretension"

For the sequel let's get Tom Hanks involved.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by karlostgr8
    What many of you fail to see is that this trailer depicts the symbolic breaking of the generic MMO formula. Where gamers constraints in generic MMO's have been lifted. Arenanets courage to step up against the norm and create a vastly differant experience than you could get from any other MMO. They have essentialy broken the holy trinity and givin us a breathe of fresh air. This trailer may seem disconnected and may not apeal to the average person but it shows what Arenanet has achieved in its creation of Guild Wars 2.

Someone gets it, thank you.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I like it. It's creative, it's different, why always the same old?

Strange, the SAME people who always wanted the Trinity away just "because it was done too often" now bitch because a game trailer is not the same as the old and known WOW formula.

Oh the irony.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Thanks.

Apparently most other gamers are unable to understand subtle subtext. Sigh.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Didn't we go over this in another topic? where i told you only because people dislike it doesn't mean they didn't understand it. And here you are doing the same.

I understood the message behind the trailer and still think it is awful. Now go ahead and patronize me with one page reply.

Bite Me

Originally posted by Nikkita

Didn't we go over this in another topic? where i told you only because people dislike it doesn't mean they didn't understand it. And here you are doing the same.

I understood the message behind the trailer and still think it is awful. Now go ahead and patronize me with one page reply.

Oh, so people aren't dumb, they are just hecklers! Wow, now I feel much better.

NOT.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790
    Originally posted by Elikal

NOT.

No people have different tastes and opinion. Welcome to the real world where everyone doesn't like everything that you do. You must be such a fun to live with.

Bite Me

NOT.

No people have different tastes and opinion. Welcome to the real world where everyone doesn't like everything that you do. You must be such a fun to live with.

Shocking... this.. relativism.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

I like it. It's creative, it's different, why always the same old?Strange, the SAME people who always wanted the Trinity away just "because it was done too often" now bitch because a game trailer is not the same as the old and known WOW formula. Oh the irony.

It's probably too different for the internet.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

Yeah, i dont buy that the trailer was intended for us older MMO'ers.  Cus if it was their marketing department failed hard.

GW2 is designed for the newer generation who wants instant gratification and easy mode gaming.  Most of us older gamers realize that although we dont have the time to invest we'd still rather have something to work towards as more long term goals.

yet its more difficult that most any MMO thats been released in the past 10 years.. go figure. Except here though the hardcore elite pro MMOers of MMORPG.com are just to pro for this game.... so Iv'e heard...

I have been gaming since the 80s so I'd consider myself an "older" gamer..

trailer was little better on second watch but still dissapointing overall to me

You really like to exaggerate don't you? Only one aspect is really more difficult. The general game is pretty much easy casual mode and that doesn't bother me. I like GW2 for what it is. Why must you continue to make such outlandish statements and defend things when it isn't required. It actually turns more people away from GW2 as they don't want to be part of a community of zealots who talk senseless smack.