Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is the DE-HYPE phase going?

12345679»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by Metentso
    Please chose...

What I will say about the results so far, that show under 20% have failed to at *least* have their expectations met, is that, judging by the extremely hostile and critical negative tone of this forum a lot of the time towards the title, that 20% must be posting hard and often...

It's always interesting how a minority, who we even assume are actually playing the game and not just grinding an axe trolling or whatever else, can skew the surface reality of what's really happening on a forum.

What if people had low expecations and those expactations were met, that says more about how cynical a person is rather than how good the game is.

Sure, that's one way of seeing it and explaining the imbalance.

Another would be that the negative threads are created, bumped, and dominated by a vocal minority that include a number of agendas alongside those that simply don't like the game (which is valid).

The beauty of the situation is that we don't have to choose to believe in either until conclusive actual proof shows one or the other being correct. I would say just keeping an open mind for different possibilities would be enough. 

Sure, I agree, but as in life in general, not all possibilities are equal in likelihood.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Lyvean
    Originally posted by sookster54   Originally posted by Lyvean What I hate about MMOs, and GW 2 is guilty as well, is that they do not let me customize my character how I want it.    I can't make him ugly, I can't make him fat, I can't make him scarred, I can't make him different. Instead, I have the developer deciding how I must look, with little variety, which is... shitty. Also, GW 2 has very little armor and clothes variety, which is sad. I also can't understand why I can't find a hood. I'm a ranger and I want to wear to hood. I'm flucking cliched like that. Why on earth is it so difficult to find one? Are hoods treasured possessions in Tyria, gaurded by Kralkatorrik himself?  Tell me how I can find a hood and I will play this game forever!  As for the dehype, give it time, it's still early yet. But these first weeks have been undoubtely... epic.
    I think those days are over for being able to customze your character, the last game with that was City of Heroes and it's closing in November.   Basically the same goes in FPS games, modding is gone (unless Valve releases Half-Life 3 with moding). I used to spend lots of time in modded BF1942 and CoD matches, can't do that anymore in newer games.
    Alright, I don't want full freedom. But not even allow us to be ugly? Or scarred? Or putting on a hood?

Shitty design choices that allow for copy cat characters. That's backwards thinking that I can't tolerate. 

Fortunately the rest of the game is pretty awesome.

Yes things do seem to be going backwards in the gaming world, you used to even be able to choose where you started your character rather than a designated zone. I also forgot to mention that the number of players per server in FPS games has dropped too, I used to play games that had 64-128 player servers, now we're seeing 12-18 and sometimes 24 player servers. At least in GW2 you can participate in 100+ player world vs world battles and not lag (unlike in SWTOR where lag happened with 16-20 players in the area).

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483

Been playing it quite a bit myself.  Made it to 80 a few days ago with my mesmer, and have been loving it.  I'm certainly not one to rush to max level because levels are meaningless to me, but you can't help but level so quickly in this game.  EVERYTHING you do gives you experience.

I started off playing PvE, but enjoy WvW so much, I really haven't touched PvE significantly since maybe level 40.  To be honest, unfortunately I see no reason to do PvE because you level so fast in WvW you outlevel everything.  Yes I KNOW that's not supposed to happen in this game, but that's the perception I get.  I may go back and do the PvE things I missed with an alt, which I'm working very slowly with a guardian (enginner will probably be next).  As of this posting, I see I have 1879 WvW kills in my achievements.  I know I'm playing WvW WAY too much.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I seen it as the same trash on the market, so, I leveled a couple toons to cap and then logged out... Not going back, game is about as bad as GW1, just marginally better. I will rest till MoP comes out... might as well put my time into something I already spent 7 wasted years playing.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    ... might as well put my time into something I already spent 7 wasted years playing.

If that is really how you feel then why bother? Why not do something else?

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly
    ... might as well put my time into something I already spent 7 wasted years playing.

suggestions?

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

suggestions?

Plenty of other hobbies out there. Doesn't seem to me you've enjoyed yourself in any game as of late and seems silly to play something because you already wasted seven years playing it.

Even with games there are so many out now worth trying outside mmos. Nothing wrong with taking a break. Not like mmos are going anywhere.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• jym_nilsjym_nils Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Originally posted by Metentso
    Please chose...

first of all you shoud ask what where your spectations, then your question

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

suggestions?

you are begging to read "get a life" xD

• SNowie007SNowie007 Member Posts: 2

I'm bored of the game already and I'm just under level 40.

The combat is weird, with my (shortbow) hunter i can just hit 1 and watch my pet tank everything as I'm automatically killing it. The other skills do basically nothing worth using them (well except occasional heal), with longbow one has to be a bit more involved, but not by much.

The story is boring and predictable (asura) and I don't care about it anymore.

The events are mostly huge zergfests, where my "1" tactic works like a charm.

The areas are just rectangles full of checkboxes - vistas, POIs and extra skillpoints lack the appeal after a while and I do them just to satisfy my OCD before continuing. On top of that parts of the world (especially large cities) serve only one purpose - POI placement.

Disappointment and I don't understand the hype around it.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

My t-shirts are selling like freakin' hotcakes.  Keep up the determination, win at any cost!!

Go fans go!  Your game must triumph!

Hmm...mushroom cloud front, "Pyrrhic Victor" on the back?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879
    Originally posted by KhinRunite
    Originally posted by Sylvarii
    Originally posted by loulaki

well the only negative for the game is the community here, with all this pessimistic mood.

the game is awesome, and at the moment its the only which relax me .

No one is forcing you to come to this site,are they? If you want a forum that only says nice things about gw2 and ignores the flaws in the game then go and find one.

It's the mood. It's not about denying the flaws of the game. Posts that express constructive criticism are rare around here. Also, threads that are not burning hot with flamebaiting almost never get momentum, unless one random guy pops up and starts forum PvP. I'm not only talking about the GW2 subforum.

But you're correct. No one is forcing anyone to stick around here. Initially I did because the site covers a wide array of games; also I like the color scheme.

Whether or not something is constructive criticism, strongly depends on the intention of the critic. How are you able to know for sure what the intention is and thus seperate constructive criticism from other forms of criticism?

As if intentions get across clearly around here, otherwise we wouldn't have long threads that circle back and never end, and new threads that degenerate to where the previous threads have gone. They mostly devolve to insults.

It's not in the intention, rather in the presentation. If everyone around here would only be responsible for what they post, criticism or praise, our forum wouldn't feel like it does now.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    I got stuck in one of the armor things that got built in a d/e and had to wait til it got brought to life but I got my vengance as it ended up dead.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DfixDfix Member UncommonPosts: 238
    Originally posted by Icewhite

My t-shirts are selling like freakin' hotcakes.  Keep up the determination, win at any cost!!

Go fans go!  Your game must triumph!

Hmm...mushroom cloud front, "Pyrrhic Victor" on the back?

Vivik-Cerberus
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    Te game has definitely exceeded my expectations!  GW2 is a deep cohesive world that rewards you for taking the time to look around. Is both a great story and sandbox. 
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Dfix

The point, it has eluded you.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Well GW 2 delivered what I paid for and more. Compared to other MMOs so far GW 2 is far above others. I can finally be entertained and have fun playing game without having to work hard (brainless grind) just to "have fun" in the end game content. All Anet has to do now is keep up good work and add more fun content like guild vs guild maybe duels and so on.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

Well, i'm in my mid thirties now with my thief, but cant get any motivation to log in right now.

PvE aka Hearts and DE are repetative, boring and in my opinion just too easy. Just steamroll everything with a zerg and get the loot is not my term of having fun in an mmorpg.

WvW is nothing but an endless queue, dont have time for that. If you get in, it can be fun though.

Dungeons are a big mess and just not well done, if i take the opinion of my guildmates seriously. So there is not a large motivation to see them as fast as possible.

Sooo the only thing is SPvP. But the maps are quite similar and in random games you normally get "Flame Wars 2" after 5 minutes, everybody yelling at each other, accusing everyone else to be a loser and noob and leaving afterwards. But i guess, thats just the usual free-to-play clients, see LoL.

Im quite disappointed right now.

Hodor!

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Aerowyn Originally posted by Tardcore  
    And that's great, glad you (all of you GW2 players) are having a blast. Thing is though this is still very much the honeymoon period. Let's have this same chat in six months and see how it goes then.
    so if a have a BLAST for six months then stop playing it wasn't worth it? i really don't understand this attitude.. i don't need to live in a game for years for it to be great.

Agreed.

What if I have fun for two months? A month? What if I 'only' get 40 hours out of it? Was it badly sent leisure time, a lesser experience, or a waste of money?

I don't think so.

I have NEVER (despite some folk's continued attempts to lump all GW2 players into one hive mind because it makes their heavy handed generalisations easier) claimed this game will last me 10 years or whatever. I am simply enjoying it for the sublime entertaining fun experience it is right now, for as long as that lasts. When that finishes I can easily see me leaving it installed and going back regularly whenever new content is dropped in. I have already got far more out of this title then comparable (price wise) games like ME or whatever.

As of now though I have a L40 and a L50, both on around 30% world completion, and I really want to see how they grow and how their personal stories develop. I am still engaged and having fun, and I don't see that changing in the near future. That is not to say that in 6 months time I may be playing another game as my main. I am actually very interested in trying out FFXIV at it's relaunch even. That dosen't diminish GW2 in any way whatsoever.

This is what I've been trying to say. GW2 isn't replacing other games for many of us, GW2 is giving us an option to play another game.

This isn't a case where you have to make a choice to play GW2 or WoW, you can play GW2 and WoW Or what ever your other game of choice is.

In the cases with player overlap, there is no GW2 beats WoW or what have you.

For those of us who will play GW2 in conjunction with other games (Rift for me) there is no "vs" anything. It's today I play this, tomorrow I play that. It's called Win Win.