Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Our Time is Now trailer

Comments

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Originally posted by Nikkita
    Originally posted by timtrack
    Originally posted by Wickedjelly

You don't HAVE to breathe either, it's optional.

I like this new buzzword, pretentious.

Feel free to replace that with your hipster novelty. I always love teaching others new words. Makes the world a better place.

Indeed. But please, tell me more about your expertise in marketing and how the trailer doesn't do a very good job at it.

Narrated by the late Morgan Freeman: "Meanwhile, this very thread continues to return false by default to that statement"

You can only question his background in marketing if you yourself are an expert in it. Are you? otherwise this discussion doesn't make any sense to begin with.

Are you? (please be, otherwise this loop is infinite)

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Raekon

Since you obviously didn't read my previous posts about what I think about the trailer:

- this is NOT a "Buy GW2" trailer

- this IS a "we are ANet and we did things differently to break the mold of the old mmo ways by creating GW2" trailer 

So you are saying that the target audience are players from other MMOs who have not yet bought Guild Wars 2?

I think it's rather a company promotional trailer without having ANet written allover it but rather showcased through the hidden message behind it that results to the in game transition at the end.

Had written my understanding in a other topic in the main forums general discussion many hours ago that was very close to Hokies posting in this thread which I think its spot on (except of his shoot at the charr ^_^).

Here it is for everyone that missed it before:

"Okay just so everyone knows. This was a very indirect advertisment for the game. Its purpose was not to show off the game at all.

This was 100% directed at the MMO gamer. This was a "We've heard you, and we've listened." from NCsoft and ArenaNet.

The person sitting in the chair caked in mud (ahm sh*t) that is the current MMO scene. While some kind of dull action reflects in his nearly lifless eyes. All the while hes reaching out imploringly asking to be saved. (me)

Cut to the rebel who chooses the alley instead of the main street, clearly going against the main trend of MMOs, she has to hide her face and who she really is, with the sirens and helicopter sounds implying what she is doing is wrong.

And her tag stating  "Our Time Is Now" we've waited long enough, I dont have to choke on your worlds anymore I can take off this gasmask and breath fresh new air, I dont have to hide who I am, Ive jumped that fence youve put up, Im free.

Cut to the masses standing in front of the pit of burning ashes that are all thats left of all these great MMOs we were promised. And one person not afraid to get burned taking the first step.

Cut to girl who in the red dress who is the only bright spark of color in a colorless world of MMOs that she swimming thru, a world so watered down in the mundane and the droll that shes drowning in it. But there is hope, a bright light that shes swimming up from the depths towards.

And she exits the water with her eyes wide open into the crystal clear clarity that is GW2, along with three other saved, independent, and brave gamers.

Like I said, subtle.

Edit: Oh and you may say, "But there were four others that exited the water"?

Yeah well, I didnt count the Charr, because obviously someones cat some how crossed over.

I hate manimals..."

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Feel free to replace that with your hipster novelty. I always love teaching others new words. Makes the world a better place.

Indeed. But please, tell me more about your expertise in marketing and how the trailer doesn't do a very good job at it.

Narrated by the late Morgan Freeman: "Meanwhile, this very thread continues to return false by default to that statement"

You can only question his background in marketing if you yourself are an expert in it. Are you? otherwise this discussion doesn't make any sense to begin with.

No i am not otherwise i would also arrogantly just dismiss any crticism only because i am an 'expert'. That is why i am wondering why are you even asking this? does one has to be an expert cook to know food is bad? or one has to be an expert musician before he or she is allowed to dislike music?

Bite Me

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Cut to the masses standing in front of the pit of burning ashes that are all thats left of all these great MMOs we were promised. And one person not afraid to get burned taking the first step.

Eh... don't forget the dragon in the smoke. It's the dragon in the smoke that makes him hesitate. Only when the crowd forms does he have the courage to go on.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Since you obviously didn't read my previous posts about what I think about the trailer:

- this is NOT a "Buy GW2" trailer

- this IS a "we are ANet and we did things differently to break the mold of the old mmo ways by creating GW2" trailer 

So you are saying that the target audience are players from other MMOs who have not yet bought Guild Wars 2?

I think it's rather a company promotional trailer without having ANet written allover it but rather showcased through the hidden message behind it that results to the in game transition at the end.

Had written my understanding in a other topic in the main forums general discussion many hours ago that was very close to Hokies posting in this thread which I think its spot on (except of his shoot at the charr ^_^).

Here it is for everyone that missed it before:

"Okay just so everyone knows. This was a very indirect advertisment for the game. Its purpose was not to show off the game at all.

This was 100% directed at the MMO gamer. This was a "We've heard you, and we've listened." from NCsoft and ArenaNet.

The person sitting in the chair caked in mud (ahm sh*t) that is the current MMO scene. While some kind of dull action reflects in his nearly lifless eyes. All the while hes reaching out imploringly asking to be saved. (me)

Cut to the rebel who chooses the alley instead of the main street, clearly going against the main trend of MMOs, she has to hide her face and who she really is, with the sirens and helicopter sounds implying what she is doing is wrong.

And her tag stating  "Our Time Is Now" we've waited long enough, I dont have to choke on your worlds anymore I can take off this gasmask and breath fresh new air, I dont have to hide who I am, Ive jumped that fence youve put up, Im free.

Cut to girl who in the red dress who is the only bright spark of color in a colorless world of MMOs that she swimming thru, a world so watered down in the mundane and the droll that shes drowning in it. But there is hope, a bright light that shes swimming up from the depths towards.

And she exits the water with her eyes wide open into the crystal clear clarity that is GW2, along with three other saved, independent, and brave gamers.

Like I said, subtle.

Edit: Oh and you may say, "But there were four others that exited the water"?

Yeah well, I didnt count the Charr, because obviously someones cat some how crossed over.

I hate manimals..."

Even company promotional trailers have a target audience. If their intention was to require certain prior knowledge about  Arenanet and their methods, then we can exclude the non-MMORPG people as target audience, but that leaves us with MMORPG people. Was that trailer good for MMORPG people assuming that the underlying messages are like the quote describes? In my opinion, it wasn't. 

No i am not otherwise i would also arrogantly just dismiss any crticism only because i am an 'expert'. That is why i am wondering why are you even asking this? does one has to be an expert cook to know food is bad? or one has to be an expert musician before he or she is allowed to dislike music?

I just found it funny that you told me i can't question his expertise in marketing without being an expert in marketing while you questioned my expertise in marketing without being an expert in marketing.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

You know, i think i even have a better trailer. Sorry, i haven't watched WWE since, forever.

*John Cena walks out into the ring*

*He pulls out his WWE title and throws it to the ground*

*The crowd goes :O*

*Cena pulls out a GW2 box*

*The song "My time is now" plays*

*Everyone in the crowd goes crazy and happy*

Cena says: "The champ is HERE!!!

*Holds teh GW2 box up high with both hands*

GW2 box copy appears on screens and narrator says:

"GW2. The new champion as arrived. Buy it now"

That is pretty good. However, we need to include the fan. Cena represents the game but we need someone to represent the fan. To resonate with them how it is time for a change and no more will they be shackled to the confines of traditional mmos. Clearly the ad should begin with Ben Stiller from Zoolander doing Steel Blue to personify this emotion. Then pan out to Cena doing your actions and ending with Cena carrying Zoolander on his shoulders.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

I just found it funny that you told me i can't question his expertise in marketing without being an expert in marketing while you questioned my expertise in marketing without being an expert in marketing.

So how else am i going to question it? my comment was more about your viewpoint that one ahs to be an expert in marketing to criticise the trailer. I could care less if you are expert (which you are surely not). Your post just reeked of double standards.

Otherwise i honestly could care less if you are expert or not. But i have seen this point brought up many time whether one crticises food, book, music or movies.

Bite Me

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Holy crap, this is still going on?

>CLICKY<

Lisa: Dad, was that your commercial? (referring to the avant-garde Mr. Plow ad)
    Homer: I... don't know.
    —The Simpsons

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

So how else am i going to question it? my comment was more about your viewpoint that one ahs to be an expert in marketing to criticise the trailer. I could care less if you are expert (which you are surely not). Your post just reeked of double standards.

Otherwise i honestly could care less if you are expert or not. But i have seen this point brought up many time whether one crticises food, book, music or movies.

I wouldn't waste your time. When people go that route it means they have no real argument left. None of us are industry experts. It is all opinion as most are well aware. So really when someone goes that route it is a copout. Happens all the time around here hence why I have a line in my sig about it.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

So it's only OK when you do it?

Please reference to where i said you have to be an expert in marketing to criticise the trailer. I only remember Wickedjelly saying "It simply isn't a very useful marketing tool", which looks like an absolute statement to me. I can then only assume that he is an expert in marketing for making an absolute statement regarding the usefulness of this trailer for marketing purposes. I then felt enetitled to question his obvious expertise because of the simple fact that the current trend is not supporting his statement.

On a side note: Do we really have to resort to personal attacks?

Is this a joke? You're actually asking this considering your posts?

Wow...

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer

You know, i think i even have a better trailer. Sorry, i haven't watched WWE since, forever.

*John Cena walks out into the ring*

*He pulls out his WWE title and throws it to the ground*

*The crowd goes :O*

*Cena pulls out a GW2 box*

*The song "My time is now" plays*

*Everyone in the crowd goes crazy and happy*

Cena says: "The champ is HERE!!!

*Holds teh GW2 box up high with both hands*

GW2 box copy appears on screens and narrator says:

"GW2. The new champion as arrived. Buy it now"

That is pretty good. However, we need to include the fan. Cena represents the game but we need someone to represent the fan. To resonate with them how it is time for a change and no more will they be shackled to the confines of traditional mmos. Clearly the ad should begin with Ben Stiller from Zoolander doing Steel Blue to personify this emotion. Then pan out to Cena doing your actions and ending with Cena carrying Zoolander on his shoulders.

Nice, nice. But, if we use Cena to represent GW2, Zoolander as the players, should we use somebody else as the evil mmos?

We need somebody to represent the bad, cruel and un-cool and hip mmorpgs who are making all the poor players suffer from awful and stale gameplay.

I got it: Bush. I mean, GW2 is already the Obama of mmos.

Please reference to where i said you have to be an expert in marketing to criticise the trailer. I only remember Wickedjelly saying "It simply isn't a very useful marketing tool", which looks like an absolute statement to me. I can then only assume that he is an expert in marketing for making an absolute statement regarding the usefulness of this trailer for marketing purposes. I then felt enetitled to question his obvious expertise because of the simple fact that the current trend is not supporting his statement.

It is ok when i do what? you were clearly insuniating that his criticism  somehow depends upon him being an expert or not in marketing.

And where are the personal attacks? so far you have called people hipsters, dense for not liking the trailer. I said no such thing to anyone.

Bite Me

It is ok when i do what? you were clearly insuniating that his criticism  somehow depends upon him being an expert or not in marketing.

And where are the personal attacks? so far you have called people hipsters, dense for not liking the trailer. I said no such thing to anyone.

Is it ok when you do the very things you tell others not to do, as you did?

I already explained the next part above.

"I could care less if you are expert (which you are surely not)" is surely ment to be an insult.

None of those things i've said were directed to any one person. And i've never said that anyone is anything for not liking the trailer.

"I could care less if you are expert (which you are surely not)" is surely ment to be an insult.

None of those things i've said were directed to any one person. And i've never said that anyone is anything for not liking the trailer.

You're right you didn't say they were anything. You simply said they were dense if they don't somehow share your view of the trailer.

You have the most fucked up rationale I have ever seen around here.

Who knew calling someone 'you are not an expert' would be considered as an insult.

However, I don't know how calling one person dense is any different than calling a 'group' of people dense.

Bite Me

You're right you didn't say they were anything. You simply said they were dense if they don't somehow share your view of the trailer.

Again putting words in my mouth, and then resorting to personal attacks.

No one is putting words in your mouth. It is what you said. The fact you can't even see that again further proves my point.

No one is putting words in your mouth. It is what you said. The fact you can't even see that again further proves my point.

This is almost pointless. But just for the heck of it... could you please show me where i said "Anyone who doesn't share my views of the trailer is dense".

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581

Thought im watching TSW too.... haiz......

RIP Orc Choppa

This is almost pointless. But just for the heck of it... could you please show me where i said "Anyone who doesn't share my views of the trailer is dense".

timtrack quote:

If you don't see how it has everything to do with GW2 and Arenanet (the creator of GW2) you cannot claim that the message was simple to grasp, because you didn't get it. Then i can, without shame, call you thick for not getting it while claiming that you got it.

Can we end this stupid charade now? Should I quote more gems from that? I know though you don't resort to ever insulting anyone so clearly someone else must have used your account to post

• beat_downbeat_down Member UncommonPosts: 46

Worst. Trailer. Ever.

I love the game though. ???

If you don't see how it has everything to do with GW2 and Arenanet (the creator of GW2) you cannot claim that the message was simple to grasp, because you didn't get it. Then i can, without shame, call you thick for not getting it while claiming that you got it.

Can we end this stupid charade now? Should I quote more gems from that? I know though you don't resort to ever insulting anyone so clearly somone else must have used your account to post

I would but it's somewhat amusing.

That "quote" doesn't even mention my views on the trailer, nor how anyone who defy them are dense. It simply says that if you think the trailer had nothing to do with GW2 or ArenaNet (which is fine if you did), but then proceed to say you totally understood the message behind it because it's so easy to comprehend - you're lying and i think you're thick for doing so. Because, you know, i don't appreciate liars.

I would but it's somewhat amusing.

That "quote" doesn't even mention my views on the trailer, nor how anyone who defy them are dense. It simply says that if you think the trailer had nothing to do with GW2 or ArenaNet (which is fine if you did), but then proceed to say you totally understood the message behind it because it's so easy to comprehend - you're lying and i think you're thick for doing so. Because, you know, i don't appreciate liars.

Pretty much what I thought you would say.

Again proving what I already said. Keep telling yourself that. Yes...we get it it. You're free to judge others as you see fit and say what you want but god forbid anyone do the same to you.